Prayut blows his top when asked about father's land sale

webfact

As a prime minister it does matter what your family is doing. Wasn't this not the biggest reason why YL was overthrown for. (Because of her brother)..

Anyway it sounds quite strange..and this all after the inheritance tax tax is on the way. And a company which has been formed and immediately took over the land.

Don't know but I think that you are spot on here.......So is he & or his family possibly avoiding the payment of a tax that his own government is about to introduce.............Freakin priceless !!!!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have facts other than the fact that a mere Thai general reported personal assets in excess of 600 million baht. Logic would dictate that should wealth isn't possible, unless you choose to defy logic.

Again transparency seems to only be expected from one side of the devide whilst the other side got their wealth legitimately. I'm sure you don't actually believe that, but simply doesn't suit your agenda. People that apply logic, spot people like you from a mile away..

You're mixing up your "facts".

The General reported assets worth (a still very questionable) 100 million baht.

His father sold land for 600 million baht.

No I'm not. Apart from the 102 million, he also reported transfer of 268 million to his father and siblings and 198.5 million to his children. His wife also owns an additional 26 million.

Regardless of the amount he should show transparency not become agitated. Lead by good example

• Like 1

As a prime minister it does matter what your family is doing. Wasn't this not the biggest reason why YL was overthrown for. (Because of her brother)..

Anyway it sounds quite strange..and this all after the inheritance tax tax is on the way. And a company which has been formed and immediately took over the land.

Don't know but I think that you are spot on here.......So is he & or his family possibly avoiding the payment of a tax that his own government is about to introduce.............Freakin priceless !!!!

What is the problem with someone doing a financial transaction to avoid tax before the law gets changed?

It's something that everyone can do. It's not like it's a secret that the law is going to change.

• Like 1

maybe some of you self professed smart people on here that have managed to create pages and pages of (deleted) would like to explain to a layman like me what exactly the good general has done wrong here

He declared his assets (like he should) hiding nothing

His family sold some land (up to them)

They were well aware of inheritance tax being looked at these last few weeks just like every other person in Thailand - pretty sure if I was Thai and had something to hand down I'd hired an accountant and been quick about it before it gets slapped with 10% tax

IMO there is nothing to see here - move along

He may not have done anything wrong.However more investigation is needed because there are some points of concern, most of which have been flagged in this thread.A pressing issue is clarification of the role and motives of Khun Charoen.

I have an open mind.You clearly do not although from your simple minded comments I suspect you don't understand the genuine concerns.

Prayuth hardly helps his cause given his petulant and immature response to reasonable questions.Remember this was the fellow who promised to root out corruption so transparency in his own affairs is essential.

It's nobody elses business - he declared his assets to the world - don't you get it

If his father was smart enough to buy a plot of land 50 years ago for the family then it seems to have worked out pretty well

I guess as you say (with insult) my small mind just can't handle it - right ?

Apparently not as you have failed to deal with the most toxic aspect - agreed the jury still out on a matter that needs to be explained - namely Charoen buying influence.

What is the problem with someone doing a financial transaction to avoid tax before the law gets changed?

It's something that everyone can do. It's not like it's a secret that the law is going to change.

I don't think the issue is anything to do with inheritance tax.Still nice try to deflect the matter.It's amusing however to see the cheerleaders for military dictatorship contort themselves to excuse what is at very minimum a shocking lack of transparency.

maybe some of you self professed smart people on here that have managed to create pages and pages of (deleted) would like to explain to a layman like me what exactly the good general has done wrong here

He declared his assets (like he should) hiding nothing

His family sold some land (up to them)

They were well aware of inheritance tax being looked at these last few weeks just like every other person in Thailand - pretty sure if I was Thai and had something to hand down I'd hired an accountant and been quick about it before it gets slapped with 10% tax

IMO there is nothing to see here - move along

He may not have done anything wrong.However more investigation is needed because there are some points of concern, most of which have been flagged in this thread.A pressing issue is clarification of the role and motives of Khun Charoen.

I have an open mind.You clearly do not although from your simple minded comments I suspect you don't understand the genuine concerns.

Prayuth hardly helps his cause given his petulant and immature response to reasonable questions.Remember this was the fellow who promised to root out corruption so transparency in his own affairs is essential.

It's nobody elses business - he declared his assets to the world - don't you get it

If his father was smart enough to buy a plot of land 50 years ago for the family then it seems to have worked out pretty well

I guess as you say (with insult) my small mind just can't handle it - right ?

If his father was smart enough to buy a plot of land 50 years ago for the family

Citation please. Since the PM is not answering questions about the deal, how do you know the circumstances of the father's acquisition of the land?

This "Prime Minister" wants to rub elbows with ellected officials from civilised countries. Countries where officials are taken to task over the finances, but he does not wish to be scrutinized. Sadly this all could have been above board, legal and quite innocent. Now, because of his behavior, he has casted further doubt on his ability to lead. He is like an angry child

go ahead and scrutinize - I'd like to here someone add some substance to this thread because as far as I can read it all just pointless dribble about nothing much

Quite correct.

You will never get substance from some here. They hold a "belief" over "facts" ethos.

The closest they get to "facts" is loopholes!

When it comes to Prayut I have also noticed that no matter what he does the "doom and gloomers" that only support the majority when the majority agree with them (perfect example being the majority backing Prayut so ignore that majority and pretend they don't) will denounce him.

When thaksin sells land he is innocent. When Prayut's father does he is guilty.

That is called PTP logic.

And to argue the "red shirts" favorite defense for when the PTP did business dealings that reached media scrutiny…….."They declared their assets so they did nothing wrong"

Muppets!

I don't think the issue is anything to do with inheritance tax.Still nice try to deflect the matter.It's amusing however to see the cheerleaders for military dictatorship contort themselves to excuse what is at very minimum a shocking lack of transparency.

A shocking lack of transparency would be NOT informing relevant authorities about the sale. Or hiding the asset's in maids and gardeners names.. did that happen here.. no!

A shocking lack of transparency would be NOT informing relevant authorities about the sale. Or hiding the asset's in maids and gardeners names.. did that happen here.. no!

Nonsense.It would have been impossible to hide his great wealth or the land sale given his tiny salary.The lack of transparency relates to the possibility of a Sino Thai tycoon buying influence not to mention Prayuth's refusal to answer reasonable questions,

I'm not sure why you invoke Thaksin who is far from transparent In his dealings.Are you suggesting we should measure Prayuth by Thaksin' s low standards?

• Like 1

Why do people keep on thinking its shady to form a consortium right before the purchase. Obviously the deal was talked and negotiated beforehand, none is illegal. Its just a business strategy, maybe its for partnership reasons and they do not want the information to leak before the purchase, maybe its for competitive reasons. Most of the big companies purchase land / negotiate through another company/individual so people won't jack up the price when they hear a big so and so company is interested.

Most people who think forming a company 7 days before purchase is suspicious are just fear mongers, silly to try to raise suspicions out of nothing.

It has nothing to do with fear or fear mongering. It has everything to do with transparency and a PM who freaks out when the subject is raised. If he weren't a high government official (he is the highest), it wouldn't be important if he was 'bent' but, as he is the PM, there should be no doubts. His behavior and secretiveness are what is raising suspicions. It all stems from the way the PM reacted to two simple questions: "What are some of the details of the land deal your father made?" and "Why was a newly formed company the buyer?". My own questions include: Why was the sale not advertised in advance to draw the highest bidders? What kind of favors were traded if the price was higher or lower than market value? How can one ascertain market value when the sale was not open to the free market? There are a few more and, depending on the answers, I may have even more questions. Why shouldn't authority be questioned? The PM may be above the law practically but he is not morally above the law and he should be transparent in his business dealings and those of his immediate family. Just supposing the land was not worth a tenth the price the seven days old company paid for it. Could this not be a back door way to bribe the PM? Why are you not in the slightest bit interested in a single land deal that netted the PM a cool 100 million Baht tax free?

This is Thailand and if you are not suspicious then you are incredibly naive or you want to protect someone. I never cared much for Thaksin apologists and, likewise, I have not much use for Prayut apologists. You don't have the facts to prove my suspicions wrong but you want to discourage them anyway. Sorry but it's going to take more than your post to allay my suspicions that there is something 'hinky' about the deal or else Prayut wouldn't have gotten all bent out of shape at being questioned about it.

The reporters should be asking him questions regarding to the nation and public, not his personal life. If they want to investigate, go a head, if they find proof of corruption, go ahead I would love to see it as well and stick it up to the PM. I don't see why PM has to waste his time answering questions regarding to his personal matter, same goes if reporters were asking Yingluck or any other politician.

The sale of his or his fathers property is private matter, why does it need to go through a bidding and your own terms? Its ludicrous, you obviously don't know how business works and think public servants needs to have bidders when they sell their property?!

You can scrutinise his public actions and work done as PM, its none of anyones business what his family does with their private properties as long as it does not involve the State or Public money. If so, by all means I welcome the scrutiny and questions as well.

This is Thailand so what, learn to differentiate who the land was sold to, it was sold to another private person/firm NOT the State, nor did it involved any public tax money. So move on and mind your own business. I have nothing to hide or protect, just stating the obvious that some people can't look beyond and feel like if you are a public servant you need to disclose your private life to the public.

Better question will be to scrutinize his father and where the land originated from. Even better, reporters should ask Prayuth when there will be elections, after all he said he will hold elections within a year, and there seems to be no election in sight.

Agree, its like suddenly if some politician follows the law, its shady and they are treated like a criminal...how ironic

I wouldn't be surprise if a lot of politicians starts to transfer properties / assets to their children, should we suspect them of illegal dealings too just because the Inheritance tax is to come in effect next year? Or should we think its normal that people wants to pay the inheritance tax and be an idiot.

• Like 1

No, but he is overall in charge - oh sorry, that's only applicable to Yingluck.

Anyway, he said that the microphones have been removed............................ haven't they? coffee1.gif

Yingluck isn't being impeached because she was "overall in charge". She is being impeached because she was directly in charge.

Nothing like being a pedant, I suppose.

Overall:

Taking everything into account:

"the governors and head have overall responsibility for managing the school"

"the overall effect is impressive"

Anyway, he said that the microphones have been removed............................ haven't they? coffee1.gif

Yingluck isn't being impeached because she was "overall in charge". She is being impeached because she was directly in charge.

Overall:

How do you compare the two issues? Yingluck was DIRECTLY in charge of the rice scheme as she was the head of the rice committee. That's why she has been charged. She wasn't changed because she was PM "overall in charge".

Quite correct.

You will never get substance from some here. They hold a "belief" over "facts" ethos.

When it comes to Prayut I have also noticed that no matter what he does the "doom and gloomers" that only support the majority when the majority agree with them (perfect example being the majority backing Prayut so ignore that majority and pretend they don't) will denounce him.

And to argue the "red shirts" favorite defense for when the PTP did business dealings that reached media scrutiny…….."They declared their assets so they did nothing wrong"

Muppets!

Thaksin didn't sell land. I can only presume you are referring to his wife buying land in a sealed bid auction. Now that is a fact, sfa all to do with your notion of "PTP logic".

• Like 1

Overall:

How do you compare the two issues? Yingluck was DIRECTLY in charge of the rice scheme as she was the head of the rice committee. That's why she has been charged. She wasn't changed because she was PM "overall in charge".

I didn't mention anything about the rice scheme or impeachment - that is your inference. I was referring to the constant harping on here that Yingluck is directly responsible for everything perceived to be bad, likewise Thaksin and jokingly relating that to the O'cha predicament. Presumably you were upset enough by that to reply so pedantically............................coffee1.gif

I didn't mention anything about the rice scheme or impeachment - that is your inference. I was referring to the constant harping on here that Yingluck is directly responsible for everything perceived to be bad, likewise Thaksin and jokingly relating that to the O'cha predicament. Presumably you were upset enough by that to reply so pedantically............................coffee1.gif

Another one that's too quick to label and doesn't actually bother to read the comments.

• Like 1

Look at this topic and you will understand why I took a long break from posting here...

Insults, attacks, name calling is the best sport here on TVF.

Whichever idea you post on, you will be attacked and told you are part of a gang, herd, group.

Come on guys be not babies and if you were protesting against corruption few months ago and cheering the coup because it could make a change againt corruption, now it's time to stand by the same principles and ask questions about PM asset declarations and transparency.

If you feel it's not the case, you're being at least naive.

Why yes! We were all awaiting a post from you with bated breath! laugh.png

Hasn't changed his tune...

“Police Chief Somyos Poompanmuang and his wife’s net worth was revealed to about 355.8 million baht”

“Prayuth’s own brother, General Preecha Chan-ocha, who was also handpicked to serve in the NLC. …Preecha’s net worth was closer to 90 million baht than the 79 million baht he originally claimed.”

"A few days ago, Prayuth appeared angry when Thais demanded the government increase transparency.”

“I beg you not to dig up anything. There is no benefit in so doing.”

“I must say that you cannot do that for the time being.” wai2.gifwai.gif

http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/thai-junta-beset-by-corruption-scandals/

According to SET announcements the police chief must have suddenly increased his net worth from the net assets of 355.8 declared by himself and his wife. He has recently made a series of investments in canny takeover deals in the stock market and just one of them in a small cap speculative stock was more than 355.8 million, if combined with his daughter's investment. I wish I had the cojones to invest my entire net worth in one small speculative stock on the SET's 'cash in advance' list. It has paid off for him as it doubled in 3 weeks. He won't miss his day job when he retires next September.

Cabinet ministers aren't allowed to own shares in businesses. Otherwise some of them might also have been tempted to dabble in the bull market in speculative 5th and 6th liners.

Edited by Dogmatix

This "Prime Minister" wants to rub elbows with ellected officials from civilised countries. Countries where officials are taken to task over the finances, but he does not wish to be scrutinized. Sadly this all could have been above board, legal and quite innocent. Now, because of his behavior, he has casted further doubt on his ability to lead. He is like an angry child

go ahead and scrutinize - I'd like to here someone add some substance to this thread because as far as I can read it all just pointless dribble about nothing much

Quite correct.

And to argue the "red shirts" favorite defense for when the PTP did business dealings that reached media scrutiny.."They declared their assets so they did nothing wrong"

Muppets!

Ah another coup apologist. For years screaming bloody murder when the name Shinawatra was involved, but since we are talking about the general everything is above board. No transparancey is needed here folks, move along there is nothing to see.

You are every inch as bad as the people you describe above. .

I think when people bring thaksin into the conversation they are just enhancing the similarities in the two. With the oh yes but thaksin did it also so my dear leader can arguments just proves thaksin and dear leader are twins.

Suppose I would be rich, could I avoid inheritance tax by selling my land to a company that is owned by my children?

My children wouldn't have to loose cent because the income from the sale would be directly donated to my children, and the children could use this money to give it to the company buying the land ....

That way my children would be the new land owners and they wouldn't have to buy a single Baht inheritance tax, right?

Would that be corruption?

No, as here is no inheritance tax. And no, even if there were.

• Like 1

I'm going to be repeating myself on Thai Visa but General Cretino provokes me into doing so. First, he said he overthrew a democracy "to restore democracy", then he said freedom of speech exists for Thais except he can't be faulted, then the investigation into the murder of the two young Brits was both finished and perfect -- and now "I have rights to my privacy', not a pearl of wisdom you wish to drop when you've deprived 70 million Thais of their basic human rights.

Let's hope the ballsy reporter isn't murdered by two Burmese.

Is it too soon to start guessing when he'll be dumped? By other Army types most likely who see how awful Cretino is.

We stay tuned.