Never a Dull Moment in Thailand

Costas2008

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're talking about "Kin Kow....For the past few weeks I have been following the antics of the "workmen" putting on an extension on the house across the stream from me. The pick-up arrives then all goes quite....Kin Kow....Forty five minutes later the noise begins...one taking off plaster the other 3 fishing in the stream. Then the "boss" heads off in the pick-up...all quite again ....Kin Kow. Then the boss comes back about 4 hours later....big noise working for an hour. Big talking for another 45 mins. .......all go home.

P.S. Guess where the rubble is from the old kitchen....you got it......in the stream.

Edited by dotpoom

An interesting micronism of democracy at work. Lots of conflict, unhappiness, differences of opinions. In the end people settle for compromise for resolution. No one overthrew the village leadership and banned public gatherings; no visits to a Happiness Reconciliation Center.Too bad the nation's current leaders who are redesigning democracy don't understand democracy at the simplest level.

Thanks for the story.

• Like 2

my gf also has 5 rai of rice farm in KK, chum phae area,,, just curious, what does it cost you to plant your rice and to harvest it,, as i am obviously getting the bill, but living in patts and have no real idea about these kind of costs???

thanks

i am sort of under same impression as you, costs more to plant and harvest then if you went to makro...

Costa sorry to tell you this you spell eat in thai like this gin Kaao and in thai กิน ข้าว just trying to help you and you can get a app from the App Store the best I have work with to help me with my thai called talking thai author is benjawan poomsan she has the best app and books I have seen in all my years of leaning thai just want to help cheers

• Like 2

Costa sorry to tell you this you spell eat in thai like this gin Kaao and in thai กิน ข้าว just trying to help you and you can get a app from the App Store the best I have work with to help me with my thai called talking thai author is benjawan poomsan she has the best app and books I have seen in all my years of leaning thai just want to help cheers

Yes Benjawan & Nicolas are a great team and do a good job....fun people too....

my gf also has 5 rai of rice farm in KK, chum phae area,,, just curious, what does it cost you to plant your rice and to harvest it,, as i am obviously getting the bill, but living in patts and have no real idea about these kind of costs???

thanks

i am sort of under same impression as you, costs more to plant and harvest then if you went to makro...

small parcels of land for cultivating rice becomes extremely uneconomical.

if you calculate all the associated costs right up to bagging you will understand.

wai2.gif

thanks

Hi, I give to Yiai, 12K Baht a year, 6 before planting and 6 before harvesting.

That's for 8 Rai.

I don't know how much she contributes, never asked as I know I will never get a straight answer.

What I know is harvesting is 600Baht per Rai, the rest no idea.

Makro or Tesco, best quality rice, would have been cheaper for us.

This app sounds interesting. I can speak thai quite well and can read thai quite well but i cant write thai.. I use iTranslate and google translate to convert english to thai, but both seem to me more translating for writing than conversation. How is this app for converting conversational english to conversational thai? Currently i have to adjust the translations to get the conversational Thai i want. I use it it messaging apps such as Line often.

thanks

That's for 8 Rai.

I don't know how much she contributes, never asked as I know I will never get a straight answer.

I would have thought that 1500 baht per rai is quite reasonable.. Ploughing the field, possible twice, flattening the field after ploughing, sowing the seed, spraying the weeds, fertiliser etc and the harvesting.

You should get 500 kg per rai which is therefore cost of 3 baht per kilo. Can you really buy that cheap?

This app sounds interesting. I can speak thai quite well and can read thai quite well but i cant write thai.. I use iTranslate and google translate to convert english to thai, but both seem to me more translating for writing than conversation. How is this app for converting conversational english to conversational thai? Currently i have to adjust the translations to get the conversational Thai i want. I use it it messaging apps such as Line often.

This is what I think he must be referring to. It is a great dictionary, but does not translate phrases. http://word-in-the-hand.com/thaidictiphone_ov.html

thanks

That's for 8 Rai.

I would have thought that 1500 baht per rai is quite reasonable.. Ploughing the field, possible twice, flattening the field after ploughing, sowing the seed, spraying the weeds, fertiliser etc and the harvesting.

You should get 500 kg per rai which is therefore cost of 3 baht per kilo. Can you really buy that cheap?

No I wouldn't buy that cheap.

But I estimate we consume about 60 kilos a year for me and the wife.

That's costing me 200Baht per kilo.

The rest of the rice is consumed by the relatives or sold by Yiai.

Do you think is cheap?

thanks

That's for 8 Rai.

No I wouldn't buy that cheap.

But I estimate we consume about 60 kilos a year for me and the wife.

That's costing me 200Baht per kilo.

The rest of the rice is consumed by the relatives or sold by Yiai.

Do you think is cheap?

Hahaha, yes i can now see why its expensive

This is what I think he must be referring to. It is a great dictionary, but does not translate phrases. http://word-in-the-hand.com/thaidictiphone_ov.html

Aah i see. A dictionary i do not need. Thanks.

Hi sorry boys I did not put the link in but that is it the best you can buy your thai can wright in thai and you know what she is on about I do it all the time with my thai when I don't understand what she is on abut
  • Like 1

Hi sorry boys I did not put the link in but that is it the best you can buy your thai can wright in thai and you know what she is on about I do it all the time with my thai when I don't understand what she is on abut

But does it translate only words and not phrases?

15 years ago the farmers cost of a rice crop was about 1500 to 2000 baht/rai and they would harvest about 1 ton sticky rice paddy/rai. Farm gate price to farmer was 4000 +_baht. Recently in the farming forum someone mentioned todays cost is in the 5000 to 6000 baht range, incuding rental fee.

Edited by slapout

You're talking about "Kin Kow....For the past few weeks I have been following the antics of the "workmen" putting on an extension on the house across the stream from me. The pick-up arrives then all goes quite....Kin Kow....Forty five minutes later the noise begins...one taking off plaster the other 3 fishing in the stream. Then the "boss" heads off in the pick-up...all quite again ....Kin Kow. Then the boss comes back about 4 hours later....big noise working for an hour. Big talking for another 45 mins. .......all go home.

P.S. Guess where the rubble is from the old kitchen....you got it......in the stream.

Now you know why they only earn 300 baht a day cheesy.gif

Keep your hands in your pockets ALL the time !!!

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

Costas cut the ends of his pockets out. His hands are in the pocket playing with small balls all the time. Types with his tongue. Dreams about milking badgers and massages the gonads whilst doing so.

No wonder his misses is on edge. Poor woman.

• Like 1

Keep your hands in your pockets ALL the time !!!

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

Costas cut the ends of his pockets out. His hands are in the pocket playing with small balls all the time. Types with his tongue. Dreams about milking badgers and massages the gonads whilst doing so.

No wonder his misses is on edge. Poor woman.

you mean hairy balls- our friend is Greek...

• Like 1