Declaration to immigration for one night away ?

Hi every one,

I have a Mac Book pro under Apple Care that need to be repaired, I do live in Samu, retirement extension, the nearest Apple Care service is in Nakkon Si Thammarat, I called them no problem, so I will go I guess by bus...but not sure I will be able to come back the same day, then no problem, I will find a hotel for the night...but what about immigration?

I cannot declare it in Samui since I am not sure if I will, or not, spend the night.

Then should I declared it to the Police once In Nakkon if I decide to stay one night ?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just send it, not worth the hassle. It is just a computer, does not deserve it smile.png

A Mac Book Pro with an optional screen for graphic designer, I did paid 2500 Euros, that is to say 110,000Baht ! smile.png

Yes I thought to send it but not enough confidence in the postal service,

by the way I bought a new one already ... 80,000 Baht sad.png

so no real hurry Apple care till August 2015.

Cost of sending it TNT which is pretty safe is less than 700 baht. Probaby 2 days but if you ar lucky one.

I am not subornsmile.png... So what is TNT ?

Like the Thai version of Fed Ex.

http://www.tnt.com/express/en_th/site/home.html

Thank you for the link, as you could guess I did Googled it already, till now I did not found them in Samui, but thanks again!

The hotel where you are staying should make the report to immigration. That said no one ever asked me on my travels throughout southern Thailand. Not immigration, not any hotel. Conclusion; no one cares. (Phuket seems to be an exception!)

So nobody ever made a copy of your passport when staying in a hotel?

The hotel where you are staying should make the report to immigration. That said no one ever asked me on my travels throughout southern Thailand. Not immigration, not any hotel. Conclusion; no one cares. (Phuket seems to be an exception!)

Only very rarely. I live on Samui, so times I stay in a hotel there are rare. And in that case my gf makes the booking and no one asks about my passport as I am a 'local'. On the Southern mainland I have never been asked to show a passport, even when traveling solo. In Bangkok my experience is opposite though. Almost always asked for a passport, even when gf is traveling with me.

• Like 1

Some hotels just enter the info from your passport and TM6 on their computer now. It has been some time since I stayed at one that made copies

TNT is an intedrational transport firm like FedEx or DHL.

I mentioned them because they do have internatinal standards fror their handling though they als operate in THailand. A local firm I have also usedd is Kerry Expressw whidch is marginally cheaper and also seems to have fair standrd. I did not realise you are in Samui though they will use an agent there I guess. I used to make a trip from Chiangrai to Bangkok every time my Oxgen DOncentrator needed service till the firm told me about them and that they use them. The 700 baht is for 18 kg so smaller is marginally cheaper. Of course a couple of deays off the island is nice too.

Some hotels just enter the info from your passport and TM6 on their computer now. It has been some time since I stayed at one that made copies

Last week I was travelling around Petchabun province with my gf. My gf made reservations in advance at one resort-type place. When we arrived she produced her ID. I was surprised that when I offered my passport, they said no need. That place must be very advanced ... using face recognition, no doubt. smile.png

• Like 1

Please elaborate. Report to immigration what?

I am confused as well.

The only reason I can think of is that the OP reckons Samui is an island in a different country to Thailand.

I suppose it indicates the level of hotels I stay at, but 75% ask for payment daily in advance, no receipt, no ID required. sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png And the others are happy with a driving license.

• Like 1

Yes I was wondering this.....

You are alrready officially in the country on a visa, and you are only travelling within the country so there is no need to report anything to immigration..

Actually I was enlightened on this a few months ago.

Apparently it is the law that we have to register our new address inside of 24 hours, but nobody bothers about it.

You are alrready officially in the country on a visa, and you are only travelling within the country so there is no need to report anything to immigration..

Apparently it is the law that we have to register our new address inside of 24 hours, but nobody bothers about it.

Ah so I guess its the case that that if you are on a retirement visa or similar you provide a residency address yes?? I have only ever been on 'Visa on entry' which requires no address to be given.

However the OP is not moving to a new address, he's just maybe staying overnight in another town so immigration arent goint to need to know that... Perhaps as another person said he thinks because Samui is an island its a different country ;-)

It is kind of like a troll but it points out that if you must follow the letter of the law at all times bacically one cannot even dare to leave the house. Like carrying passport. Whilst swimming? During the Songkhran festival? Ridiculous and impracticable.

Don't know the exact details, but I think the law states that holders of an extension of stay (how about visa and exempt?) staying in a province other than their 'home' province for longer than 24 hours need to report to local immigration or police if no local immigration is nearby. Exemption is when staying in a hotel who should report on behalf of the visitor.

• Like 1

Cost of sending it TNT which is pretty safe is less than 700 baht. Probaby 2 days but if you ar lucky one.

I am not subornsmile.png... So what is TNT ?

TNT is an explosive,,,,,,,But the one he is talking about is a courier service /transport just about world wide.

Just came back from a trip around the top of Thailand up the Cambodian, Lau and down the Myanmar edge of Thailand. Stayed at 8 hotels and not one asked for a copy of my Passport. However on the trip south, Hua Hin, Phuket and a different hotel at Hua Hin on the return trip, all asked for a copy of passport.

• Like 1

Ah so I guess its the case that that if you are on a retirement visa or similar you provide a residency address yes?? I have only ever been on 'Visa on entry' which requires no address to be given.

However the OP is not moving to a new address, he's just maybe staying overnight in another town so immigration arent goint to need to know that... Perhaps as another person said he thinks because Samui is an island its a different country ;-)

It would take too much time to go and look it up, but it was also on TV and the Immigration regulation reference was given. I did check it out, there are two lines of responsibility,

- the landlord/hotel has to notify immigration of a foreigner staying on the premises.

- the foreigner also has to report where he is staying.

both within 24 hours.

If UbonJoe rolls up, he will clarify. He is da main man in these matters.wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

But the only reporting that is vigorously enforced, documented and computerised are those who have to report every 90 days, like me.

(Actually it was also me who posted the Samui Island is a foreign country as well thumbsup.gif )

Edited by 12DrinkMore

It would take too much time to go and look it up, but it was also on TV and the Immigration regulation reference was given. I did check it out, there are two lines of responsibility,

- the landlord/hotel has to notify immigration of a foreigner staying on the premises.

both within 24 hours.

If UbonJoe rolls up, he will clarify. He is da main man in these matters.wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

But the only reporting that is vigorously enforced, documented and computerised are those who have to report every 90 days, like me.

(Actually it was also me who posted the Samui Island is a foreign country as well thumbsup.gif )

The hotel or landlord has to the reporting within 24 hrs of arrival.

If this is done the foreigner has to do nothing any more.

If the foreigner lives here in a house he can do the reporting himself as long he has the address information from the landlord.

So it is not both but either the hotel.landlord or the foreigner self will do the address registration.

both within 24 hours.

The hotel or landlord has to the reporting within 24 hrs of arrival.

If this is done the foreigner has to do nothing any more.

If the foreigner lives here in a house he can do the reporting himself as long he has the address information from the landlord.

So it is not both but either the hotel.landlord or the foreigner self will do the address registration.

Reference: Immigration Act, B.E. 2522

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf

Section 37.

An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the
following:
2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason
that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official
of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.
3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty
– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not
located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the
police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.
4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such
alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time
of arrival
Section 38.
The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager
where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the
competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or
hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office
located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

That is the law.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Temporary stay defined as either a Visa or an Extension.

No matter what you hold the maximum permitted time allowed to stay in Thailand is 90 days without either leaving and re-entry, or reporting to an Immigration office. The purpose of going to Immigration is to report your address every 90 days.

If you leave and re-enter you still state your address on the Arrivals card.

By the letter of the law if you stay somewhere other than your recorded residence for longer than 24 hours, then you should notify the local Police in that area.