Loophole means you can get a retirement visa having no money at all!

It has come to my attention that the American Embassy is giving letters to US citizens applying for a retirement visa in Thailand without requiring proof of income. I have a retirement visa based on a bank account balance of 800,000 baht. But other people are getting retirement visas only by showing Thai immigration a letter from the US embassy stating their income. The embassy requires no proof of income. They issue the letter upon payment of a fee and merely ask the applicant if the statement is correct. They require no proof of income. This may also be true at other embassies. So that means there are many foreigners staying in Thailand who have very little money or are working illegally. Why should I keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank when other people with limited funds can just go into the Embassy and pay for a letter, no questions asked?

The weak link in the chain is that the Embassy requires no proof of income, only a notarized statement. Once the person has that and takes it to Thai immigration, immigration figures that the Embassy has checked out the person's finances, which they really haven't, and goes ahead and gives the person a retirement visa. Essentially, the person could have no money at all in any bank in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter, since the letter from the Embassy is accepted by immigration in lieu of a bank statement showing a balance of at least 800,000 baht. Those of us who do have the 800,000 baht in the bank are being short-changed and have no incentive to keep our money in Thailand.

The Embassy should require more proof of financial solvency from each US citizen applying for a letter of income for purposes of obtaining a retirement visa. Does the embassy really want a lot of impecunious American citizens running around Thailand working illegally and/or resorting to other means to augment their meager incomes (if any) so that they may remain in the Kingdom? It reflects badly on all Americans when any of us runs afoul of the law.

I urge the US Embassy to adopt more stringent checks of and require more definitive proof of a US citizens financial status before giving them a notarized letter that accepts at face value whatever the citizen has told them.

If Thailand wishes to attract a better class of foreigner it needs to close these kinds of loopholes.

Sincerely,

A USA citizen in Thailand

(Name withheld by request)

• Like 1

It is nothing new and giving a false statement at the embassy is a federal offence, which should not be taken lightly.

In addition Thai immigration is wel aware of this practise and for that reason soemtimes ask for additional evidence to back-up the claim might in the embassy letter.

As for the embassy, they can only offer the affidavit and I believe are not allowed to check payslips etc. (It often is even impossible to properly check). The differences between state law and federal law and their seperate powers are debit to this situation.

• Like 1

How about the other nations embassies that issue the same kind of letter with no proof.

Are there many such countries ?

Most European Embassies I know about will ask for proof of these revenues,

and then will attest on the amount the will read or calculate.