It feels like the future....

papa al

Whoa, that is a fast future!

As batteries get better we will see more and more of these but frankly I'll stick to gas bikes unless a hybrid comes along.

I like the idea of no heat or vibrations but always stressing about charge capacity and where to charge it would be annoying.

My condo and probably most others won't allow tenants to plug in at the parking garage.

Edited by ttakata

Electric is the future, regardless of what some think... Capacity is the only issue and that has been improving year over year for the last decade...

Much like those that snicker at cold-fusion, it's coming and it's only a matter of time...

• Like 2

I'm not sure about cold fusion (snicker, snicker) but liquid floride thorium reactors seem a no-brainer.

The physics behind LFTR is well understood.

Cold fusion, not at all. whistling.gif

Politics of vested interests is the snag.

Hey, is that Thor depicted in your avitar?

Prophetic!! clap2.gif

Edited by papa al

Gearbox on e-bike? Why?

Teats on a bull.

I know, but it's one of the drawbacks, IMHO.

If I'm not shifting gears, I feel like I'm on a scooter regardless of the power output. To appeal to me, an E-bike would needs to replicate the visceral experience of a gas-powered motorcycle. Just giving up the roar of the engine would take a lot out of it. I need more of a feeling of control, and shifting is part of that for me.

That said, we'll likely be riding E-bikes (at least in hybrid form) soon as the rule rather than the exception.

Edited by RubberSideDown

The chances of a loud, vibrating, geared E-bike = zero.

Exactly, which is why I'm not as excited about them as I otherwise would be- I agree they're the future, I expect to be riding one eventually, and I'm sure it will be fun, but I'll miss certain aspects of what I currently love about motorcycles (the sound, the sensation, the shifting of gears, etc). This is why I specifically referenced 'visceral appeal' in an earlier post, which E-bikes don't really have (as far as I'm concerned).

While my bike doesn't really vibrate (not like a big V-twin, at any rate), I enjoy the sound and shifting, which I'd be giving up by going electric.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I can appreciate people being too entrenched to give e-bikes a serious thought, but they will replace combustion bikes and that process will start soon. Most bike trips are short, and although they might be scooters, what is learned over the first years e-scooters are rolled out will apply to bigger bikes.

Charging times and capacities are both dropping at significant rates - one company in Singapore is committed to a e-car battery that will charge in 3 minutes, and their prototype is ahead of performance targets so far... New chemistries are going to change power to weight ratios, and hitting 150 mile-range will very quickly be a non-issue.

RBS - what's with the need for a gearbox? Are you focused on engine braking? because if yes, these new e-bikes like the Lightening have pretty decent regenerative braking performance and slow up well when you roll off the power. I'll look for some vids I found on YouTube two weeks back when I get on a real computer and off this iPad... The rider, a track trainer, was very impressed with the performance and feel.

One final note - 20 seconds faster over a 10-minute run is a significant win 3% if my maths is right. Where's the toy in that?

Now then, here's your viewing list...coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

The positive reviews:

E-Superbike - Mission RS

Jay Leno's review - Mission RS

End of gas powered...?

The negative:

The shocking truth (N.B. May 2012 - outdated)

And there's the rub - a 2012 e-bike is no longer relevant because the batteries are half the performance of 2014 batteries. So when you buy an e-bike in 2015, when will its batteries be outdated? Modular is key, and it looks like most manufacturers are aware. As there are few parts to replace (tires cost more than power for Tesla) they need to lock in future revenue from customers; designing for obsolescence with easily replaceable batteries is almost all they can do.

Whatever you ride - enjoy!

i also like the sound or gear shifting of a gas powered motorcycle but while commuting, i do not mind if it shifts for me or sounds less:) - of course these bikes 'whizz' like sci fi space ships and they amplify it electronically for more road awareness.

Edited by ll2

I'm not sure about cold fusion (snicker, snicker) but liquid floride thorium reactors seem a no-brainer.

Prophetic!! clap2.gif

Some people read... Others piss in the wind.... coffee1.gif

Cold fusion reactor verified by third-party researchers, seems to have 1 million times the energy density of gasoline

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/191754-cold-fusion-reactor-verified-by-third-party-researchers-seems-to-have-1-million-times-the-energy-density-of-gasoline

Edited by Loptr

This is a thread about e-bikes, but... Thorium is also real...

Prophetic!! clap2.gif

Cold fusion reactor verified by third-party researchers, seems to have 1 million times the energy density of gasoline

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/191754-cold-fusion-reactor-verified-by-third-party-researchers-seems-to-have-1-million-times-the-energy-density-of-gasoline

I can appreciate people being too entrenched to give e-bikes a serious thought, but they will replace combustion bikes and that process will start soon. Most bike trips are short, and although they might be scooters, what is learned over the first years e-scooters are rolled out will apply to bigger bikes.

Charging times and capacities are both dropping at significant rates - one company in Singapore is committed to a e-car battery that will charge in 3 minutes, and their prototype is ahead of performance targets so far... New chemistries are going to change power to weight ratios, and hitting 150 mile-range will very quickly be a non-issue.

RBS - what's with the need for a gearbox? Are you focused on engine braking? because if yes, these new e-bikes like the Lightening have pretty decent regenerative braking performance and slow up well when you roll off the power. I'll look for some vids I found on YouTube two weeks back when I get on a real computer and off this iPad... The rider, a track trainer, was very impressed with the performance and feel.

One final note - 20 seconds faster over a 10-minute run is a significant win 3% if my maths is right. Where's the toy in that?

Hitting the 150 mile range at a sedate pace and hitting it at or near peak power output are two very different things. Sure, gas mileage decreases when a bike is run hard, but these electric motors drain extremely quickly at that pace, and when it means several hours for a full charge, it's a concern. Three minutes sounds great- it is a long time off, though, and we're currently nowhere near it.

As far as the gearbox goes, I like the feeling of control and it makes me more a part of the process- if that's gone, I'd miss it as my input would have become less necessary, and I'd be more passenger than pilot. It's not about 'need'- it's about 'want'.;)

I'm not against E-bikes at all, but I see drawbacks to them as well as benefits.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

Prophetic!! clap2.gif

From the referenced article:

"The researchers are very careful about not actually saying that cold fusion/LENR is the source of the E-Cat’s energy,"

& "...in serious scientific circles, LENR is still a bit of a joke..."

Not one thing in the article contradicts anything I posted,...

...so be sure to let it go downwind so as not to get any on yourself.

(snicker, etc.)

Edited by papa al

Prophetic!! clap2.gif

"The researchers are very careful about not actually saying that cold fusion/LENR is the source of the E-Cat’s energy,"

(snicker, etc.)

What about a 'Reactors in Thailand' forum?

Now then, here's your viewing list...coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

The positive reviews:

E-Superbike - Mission RS

Jay Leno's review - Mission RS

End of gas powered...?

The negative:

The shocking truth (N.B. May 2012 - outdated)

And there's the rub - a 2012 e-bike is no longer relevant because the batteries are half the performance of 2014 batteries. So when you buy an e-bike in 2015, when will its batteries be outdated? Modular is key, and it looks like most manufacturers are aware. As there are few parts to replace (tires cost more than power for Tesla) they need to lock in future revenue from customers; designing for obsolescence with easily replaceable batteries is almost all they can do.

Whatever you ride - enjoy!

I believe E bikes are the very near future, I too enjoy fossil fueled bikes along with the joy and control of shifting gears but i do feel very soon they will be a thing of the past.

Prophetic!! clap2.gif

(snicker, etc.)

Generating 1 millions times the energy density of gasoline didn't even peak your interest... Congratulations on being a luddite...

Prophetic!! clap2.gif

(snicker, etc.)

Generating 1 millions times the energy density of gasoline didn't even peak your interest... Congratulations on being a luddite...

Yes, yes.

E=mcc.

90-year-old 'news'. whistling.gif

When LENR is published in a reputable journal, I'll take note.

I'm perfectly cool with your name calling.

Luddite is with a capital L though.

You're funny.

clap2.gif

Hitting the 150 mile range at a sedate pace and hitting it at or near peak power output are two very different things. Sure, gas mileage decreases when a bike is run hard, but these electric motors drain extremely quickly at that pace, and when it means several hours for a full charge, it's a concern. Three minutes sounds great- it is a long time off, though, and we're currently nowhere near it.

As far as the gearbox goes, I like the feeling of control and it makes me more a part of the process- if that's gone, I'd miss it as my input would have become less necessary, and I'd be more passenger than pilot. It's not about 'need'- it's about 'want'.;)

I'm not against E-bikes at all, but I see drawbacks to them as well as benefits.

Graphene is being looked at hard for its storage capacity and super fast charging.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk