Thai crusade pays off as looted treasures return from US museum

webfact

Hmm, crusade?

The BP report on this story says the US authorities alerted the Thai embassy about these items and asked them to send Thai experts to examine them.

The two stories are identicle up to the point where this information is given.

Funny that.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

And in related news :

In 1779, the Thai General Chao Phraya Chakri put down an insurrection, captured Vientiane and looted the Emerald Buddha to Siam, taking it with him to Thonburi. After he became King Rama I of Thailand, he moved the Emerald Buddha with great ceremony to its current home in Wat Phra Kaew on 22 March 1784.

Thin ice! Very thin ice!whistling.gif

• Like 1

If the UK did that, there would be nothing left in the British Museum

.Possibly everything would still buried under shifting sands and undergrowth.

Interesting comment and so true. And who, I wonder, was instrumental in the restoration of the Angkor Wat complex?

And in related news :

In 1779, the Thai General Chao Phraya Chakri put down an insurrection, captured Vientiane and looted the Emerald Buddha to Siam, taking it with him to Thonburi. After he became King Rama I of Thailand, he moved the Emerald Buddha with great ceremony to its current home in Wat Phra Kaew on 22 March 1784.

How thin is historical fact?rolleyes.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Buddha

Maybe they should send the blue diamond back.

Why?.......They own it.

Building empires and looting has been going on since the dawn of mankind.

Every race at one time or another have been involved in some form of occupancy, whether it be tribal or national colonization.

Thailand itself stole most of its lands and temples and riches from the Khmer.

Why don't Thailand give that stuff back?

Germany have tried to dominate Europe on two past occasions and now actually have their empire.... the EU.

I suggest people stop throwing stones at the Brits. That is just borne out of one thing in my opinion..... Jealousy.

Or contempt?

• Like 1

the farlangs in particular Brits and Americans have looted so much from so many places.

Wasn't it France that sent back preserved heads of Maori chiefs to NZ? And the Germans did a little bit of looting in the last century - on 2 occasions, and were very active in the middle east the century before. Japan's looting in WW2 was massive and never recovered. Wonder how they rebuilt their country and economic 'miracle"?

Live up to your avatar.

Maybe they should send the blue diamond back.

Why?.......They own it.

Building empires and looting has been going on since the dawn of mankind.

Every race at one time or another have been involved in some form of occupancy, whether it be tribal or national colonization.

Thailand itself stole most of its lands and temples and riches from the Khmer.

Why don't Thailand give that stuff back?

Germany have tried to dominate Europe on two past occasions and now actually have their empire.... the EU.

I suggest people stop throwing stones at the Brits. That is just borne out of one thing in my opinion..... Jealousy.

Or contempt?

Lots of sad, usually low educated but opinionated people, have contempt for other countries. They are called bigots.

• Like 1

the farlangs in particular Brits and Americans have looted so much from so many places.

What about the Romans, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Chinese, Thais, Mongols, Alexander the Great, Greeks, Prussians, Persians, Germans, Dutch, Belgians, Arabs, Russians, etc etc etc.????

Going back 10,000 years man has been stealing his way across the world and there is barely a country that exists to the day that didn't steal their way into that land at some point in history.

Man..... You are baring your ignorance to the entire forum. I take it you were colonized by a superior race?

The biggest culprits were not the Americans and Brits. It was the Romans followed by Genghis Khan...... get your history right pal.

Yeah, let's face it force is the method the powerful use to make a point. In addition to forced colonization and cultural holocaust there has been murder, rape, child molestation, slavery, and all the other bad things you can imagine, but does that justify it?

Yeah, it's good to be the hegemon.

So you think USA and Canada should be given back to the native North American tribes? Australia to the Aboriginal peoples?

Thailand to the Thais tongue.png

What about the Romans, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Chinese, Thais, Mongols, Alexander the Great, Greeks, Prussians, Persians, Germans, Dutch, Belgians, Arabs, Russians, etc etc etc.????

Going back 10,000 years man has been stealing his way across the world and there is barely a country that exists to the day that didn't steal their way into that land at some point in history.

Man..... You are baring your ignorance to the entire forum. I take it you were colonized by a superior race?

The biggest culprits were not the Americans and Brits. It was the Romans followed by Genghis Khan...... get your history right pal.

Yeah, let's face it force is the method the powerful use to make a point. In addition to forced colonization and cultural holocaust there has been murder, rape, child molestation, slavery, and all the other bad things you can imagine, but does that justify it?

And virtually every country, religion, tribe, empire or culture has indulged in this behavior at some point. How far do you want to go back?

• Like 1

Objective and well put. I've made similar arguments myself on countless occasions.

History demonstrates that in any society the powerful are always looking to increase said power, and do so by way of the latest technological advancements. From bronze and iron, to guns and bombs.

The following list of empires proves that all people are inclined to dominate, and there is nothing "particular" about the British or the Americans.

We now live in an age where weapons have advanced to such a degree, the only way to defeat them is through a soft war, e.g., propaganda. "Behonset's" view would have westerners feel guilty for their global achievements, as though they're particularly sinister, rather than the natural order of the strongest dominating those they can.

It accomplishes nothing except to create a power vacuum, so that those next in line can do the same thing.

• Like 1

I am sure there are many Indian tribes eagerly awaiting the return of artifacts of cultural significance

to them as well. whistling.gif

Actually, there are laws in the US that do precisely that, return Amerind artifacts and restore and protect Amerind sites. This action on the behalf of the US is commendable, and the US has been exceedingly proactive in returning so-called looted artifacts to their original peoples and sites. And, yes, it's true that the British need to give up many of the things they have stolen, starting with the so-called Elgin Marbles.

I'm sure the high ranking criminals of Thailand (you know, the ones that wear uniforms) will welcome the return of such items and see an opportunity to relieve the country of it's heritage once again by selling to the highest bidder, this time most likely to a private collector who will lock them away in a vault never to be seen again.

Nothing whatsoever is sacred in Thailand if it has a cash value.......nothing.

If the UK did that, there would be nothing left in the British Museum

.Possibly everything would still buried under shifting sands and undergrowth.

Watch a movie called Dinosaur 13. It shows how the American justice system can bring to bear the weight of the almighty government. The end is truly fascinating. This is a true story and shows you the multitude of laws we are all up against in our everyday lives.

• Like 1

And in related news :

How thin is historical fact?rolleyes.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Buddha

The historical "facts" taught in every countries grade school books is supported by a very thin layer of partial truth. Mostly influenced by political attempt to brain wash. Not sure what to think about wikipedia sometimes.