Sunday roast

ryanhull

Hey All,

Is it possible to get all the ingredients for a decent sunday roast at big c / tesco's out in the sticks? I live in mahasarakham and craving a roast plus I want a practice run for christmas day, I have never cooked a roast but would love to cook one for the misses, anyone got any easy recipes and bought the ingredients from big c?

I have only got one of those portable ovens but I assume that will be sufficient as its quite big,

Cheers

Edited by ryanhull

Last I heard the ingredients for a roast were meat, potatoes, some green vegetables, an onion and/or garlic, some salt and pepper and some fat for cooking (oil is common but lard or dripping or goose/duck fat are better if you can get them). For the gravy you just need an onion and some flour and the cooking juices. If you want Yorkshire puddings then you will need flour, eggs and milk, and some more fat.

If Tesco in the sticks doesnt have those simple things then I wonder what it does have?

About the only thing that might be difficult to find would be Brussels sprouts, but Makro have those frozen in Pattaya.

If you want stuffing (and who doesn't? smile.png ) then you can make it yourself.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9020/best-yorkshire-puddings

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=stuffing

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=gravy

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=sunday+roast

Thanks alot, I think I am going to take a trip up to makro later,

I think I am going to attempt a roast beef dinner as I prefer it to chicken, Yorkshire puddings might be a bit difficult as I do not have one of those trays but I will give it ago! thanks again for the info I will update this with some pics of how it goes.

Cheers

• Like 1

lol,

ryan,

yes you have to get a yorkshire cooking dish from the uk, i brought one in,

but like the other poster says you can get everything you need at big c and makro, i often do a roast the wife can do it now too,

good legs and shoulder of lamb in makro, frozen but its ok,

lol,

ryan,

yes you have to get a yorkshire cooking dish from the uk, i brought one in,

but like the other poster says you can get everything you need at big c and makro, i often do a roast the wife can do it now too,

good legs and shoulder of lamb in makro, frozen but its ok,

Thanks for the reply, I am not a big fan of lamb but I assume I can get beef or failing that a chicken!

For the yorkshire pudding tin, I might attempt one of those plate sizes yorkshires in a big cake tin? worth a try!

Your a very lucky man, I wish my wife could cook a roast dinner!

Cheers

I live in the sticks, last house on a dirt road 12 kilometers from the nearest small town, and if you want beef forget it . Neither Tesco or Big C have it. I buy mine from the beef vendor at the weekly walking market or Macro which is over 100 kilometers away! Why can Brits only cook roast beef on a Sunday, is it supposed to taste better? I'm one of those Yankees and we can make it taste god any day of the week!

If you do chicken make sure you don't get one of the horrible scrawny, tasteless thai chickens.

If you get pork make sure you buy the skin (Nang moo) and some fat (Nahm mun) as well for a proper not dry one. As most places seem to remove it.

Oh and don't forget to buy the string.

Muffin trays are readily available in Thailand and work well for yorkshire pudding especially the four large muffin trays

Good call!

If you do chicken make sure you don't get one of the horrible scrawny, tasteless thai chickens.

If you get pork make sure you buy the skin (Nang moo) and some fat (Nahm mun) as well for a proper not dry one. As most places seem to remove it.

Oh and don't forget to buy the string.

What exactly is the string for? I know everyone uses it but not sure why!

Muffin trays are readily available in Thailand and work well for yorkshire pudding especially the four large muffin trays

Those will do, or just about any sort of fairly deep tray. The important thing with Yorkshires is to get the oven and fat as hot as possible (I mean blisteringly smoking hot) before putting the batter in, and then don't open the door until they are done.

Many shops in Pattaya (Villa, Central) carry proper baking trays for Yorkshire puddings, but of course there is a bigger demand here than there would be up-country.

for a pork roast a trussed up roast with the skin on is hard to find but there is plenty of pork loin around...get two, slather with mustard (dijon if you can find it) wrap in foil, half high and half low heat for about an hour total then mix the mustard and drippings with some cream for a nice sauce...

good luck finding any kind of suitable beef for a roast...

I live in the sticks, last house on a dirt road 12 kilometers from the nearest small town, and if you want beef forget it . Neither Tesco or Big C have it. I buy mine from the beef vendor at the weekly walking market or Macro which is over 100 kilometers away! Why can Brits only cook roast beef on a Sunday, is it supposed to taste better? I'm one of those Yankees and we can make it taste god any day of the week!

The "Sunday Roast" expression comes from the time when families worked 6 days a week and Sunday was usually the only day off. Then they could eat as a family and have a nice roast. Many, could only afford a roast once a week too.

My Mrs loves a roast dinner and in the UK I used to cook them a couple of times a week for her. I agree - they always taste good.

The Sunday roast comment was just a Yank "jab".

I can order fresh pork from my local"butcher" cut any way I want, killed this afternoon and ready for pickup tomorrow morning. I always specify young animals not the ones that are about to die from old age.

As for beef I occasionally buy a 2 - 3kg slab of boneless sirloin (I would love to have bone-in but I've never seen it) at the walking market on Wednesday and usually roast it so that it's totally rare-med rare and use it for sandwiches. My wife won't eat it.

I occasionally buy a leg of lamb at Mackro (my wife won't eat it but the locals love it) and chicken and duck locally, but not the free range that are running everywhere - tasteless shoe leather. We have about 50 of them and they are only used in Thai cooking.

String is always necessary for trussing up roast and things such as chicken roulade, which I had yesterday. I tie it up with string, wrap it in cling film, but it in a zip lock bag, cook it sous vide in the hot water pot and finish it in butter in a frying pan.

• Like 1

Traditionally Sunday was the one day of the week that all the family could be together.

Personally I will be having roast lamb for my Xmas dinner with roast potatoes and some veg and perhaps a syrup sponge pudding with custard. As it is a Thursday my son will be at school, my wife and MIL will be eating Thai food so I can pig out. I think I may also buy a bottle of port to toast my Queens Xmas message.

• Like 1

The "Sunday Roast" expression comes from the time when families worked 6 days a week and Sunday was usually the only day off. Then they could eat as a family and have a nice roast. Many, could only afford a roast once a week too.

People also skinnier back then.

Firstly, cooking a roast is one of the easiest meals you can do, once you understand the cooking times of the different ingredients.

Just google cooking a roast for beginners.

Sourcing the ingredients in a non-tourist area is the difficult part.

Thai pork loin is excellent and should be easily available (unless a highly Muslim area).

Thai beef and local free range chooks are terrible.

If you must go beef go online for speciality butchers (there is a few in Chiang Mai who deliver).

There is Thai-French beef farmed up north which is OK - comes from Charolais-Limosin cross breeds.

Or a lump of rib-eye imported from OZ or NZ.

Or a pork loin with skin on for crackling.

You can probably get a turkey from them too.

As mentioned - ask them for cooking string too - or get some from the monks at the local temple.

Don't forget good bread and butter for your sandwiches from the leftovers - Yummm.

Good luck

Edited by Evilbaz

I roast Thai beef mainly for sandwiches. I buy boned sirloin at the walking market always looking for well marbled piece. I usually buy a 2 kilo chunk. I don't trim it very much and season it with only salt and pepper. I then put it on a rack in a pan in the oven that has been preheated for over 30 minutes at max temperature. I cook it 16 minutes per kilo and then turn off the oven and do not open it for 2.5 hours. It comes out medium rare to rare all of the way through. I then trim it and remove any gristle and slice it as thin as I can . I have a professional meat slicer so it's pretty easy. The oven that I use is a free standing full size Tecnogas oven, I've never tried it in a counter top oven but suspect that it would have to be cooked longer since the oven would not retain the heat like the large one does. It comes out looking like this:

Rare Roast Beef.doc

You can get chickens at Tesco, as said make sure they aren't the Thai ones. Utterly horrible.

The good ones are twice the price, not sure of any other way to tell the difference.

You should find a decent market for pork and as said ask for the meat, skin and fat. Pork from a market will be easiest to find.

Most likely they are all "Thai" chickens and not imported. The difference is whether they have been penned and raised for consumption or left to run "free range" and forage for themselves. I have never seen a "free range" chicken in any of the big markets. It's easy to tell the difference, the free range look like they have been on a diet for six months and have very little meat. They are usually abundant at the local outdoor Thai markets or in my back yard as I have over 50 of them.

I ordered a leg of pork from the pork lady and it turned up last week.

6.5 kg bone in and skin on and just over 5kg deboned and de skinned.

The cost was 940 baht delivered to my house.

post-5614-0-21394600-1416899184_thumb.jp post-5614-0-18098200-1416899199_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-96224000-1416899226_thumb.jp post-5614-0-27515100-1416899260_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-44884500-1416899277_thumb.jp

Half will become cooked ham and the other half will be honey mustard glazed gammon

• Like 1

My Mrs loves a roast dinner and in the UK I used to cook them a couple of times a week for her. I agree - they always taste good.

The Sunday roast comment was just a Yank "jab".

I can order fresh pork from my local"butcher" cut any way I want, killed this afternoon and ready for pickup tomorrow morning. I always specify young animals not the ones that are about to die from old age.

As for beef I occasionally buy a 2 - 3kg slab of boneless sirloin (I would love to have bone-in but I've never seen it) at the walking market on Wednesday and usually roast it so that it's totally rare-med rare and use it for sandwiches. My wife won't eat it.

I occasionally buy a leg of lamb at Mackro (my wife won't eat it but the locals love it) and chicken and duck locally, but not the free range that are running everywhere - tasteless shoe leather. We have about 50 of them and they are only used in Thai cooking.

String is always necessary for trussing up roast and things such as chicken roulade, which I had yesterday. I tie it up with string, wrap it in cling film, but it in a zip lock bag, cook it sous vide in the hot water pot and finish it in butter in a frying pan.

your water should be at 70 Fahrenheit .Just a a simmer . If you buy the bags from makro they have a vacuum machine for sale very cheap and you can put anything into them , herbs , garlic and then vacuum and put into the water .