My hamburger falls apart on the barb

WilliamCave

I am good at chicken beef etc on the barb but for what ever reason my hamburgers break apart on the barb

Any helpful hints on what I am doing wrong or what can I do better .

They tasted good I put onions garlic and a egg to try hold them together

Started on low heat and tried one time on high heat and them stick to the grill also

Any barb experts out there

Thanks in advance

I agree that your "binder" isn't enough or not the right thing.

I use egg whites and panko (a Japanese bread crumb that is extremely crispy and very fine in texture and size).

I have also used a "ring" or mold.. I filed the mold with raw burger, grilled it for about 1/3 the total time with the ring hnl mace --- then removed the ring once the meat had developed it's exterior "char"

So long as I didn't move, flip or disturb the meat too much, I wouldn't have a breaking issue as the exterior char kept it all together

I've tried all of the above, and ended up with a different but relatively simple solution.

Place ground beef into bowl, then use a spoon to well mix in whatever desired spices/seasonings, and then firmly press down the beef with the spoon to compact it in the bowl. Basically, you want to end up with a compact, non-grinder thread consistency (more like ground sausage consistency instead of ground beef). In this approach, no egg or bread crumbs.

Then, tear off some sheets of plastic kitchen cling wrap. Take the appropriate amount of beef and spoon it onto the plastic wrap. Then, pull up the sides of the wrap to the top and twist at the top, making a round ball of the beef inside. Use your hands/palms to form, press the beef into a compact ball inside the plastic wrap.

Do that for each portion, then place all of them into the freezer for about 15 minutes. Then, take out, place on a plate or counter, and use your palm or a burger press to press down the beef balls into a flat patty inside the plastic wrap. Use your fingers to even/smooth any rough edges of the patties inside the plastic wrap. Once done, remove the plastic wrap and cook as desired.

No problems with falling apart.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

It doesn't have to be stale. Just pop a couple of fresh slices in the food processor and turn it on, instant crumbs usable in any dish that calls for them but not recommended for coating something to deep fry. I use it in meatloaf, but never use any fillere in hamburgers as I like them rare!

Edited by wayned

use mince that has a higher fat content and knead it together really well.

The problem is, most likely, the fat content of the beef. Thai beef is notorious for having almost no fat content. You could purchase better quality beef, imported (the kind that is heavily marbled), or add ground pork to the mixture: 1/4 pork, 3/4 beef.

• Like 1

I used to struggle with this too. Your trying to hard. All you need to do is get freshly ground beef then using a burger press or ring or even lid of some container press it into a burger shape firmly. DO NOT add breadcrumbs, egg, spices, salt or anything to your burger except beef. If you add all of this rubbish you end up with a rissole or a meatball that is also unstable on a bbq. Reason for not adding salt is that is draws all the water out of the meat before you have even cooked the thing. You could theoretically add pepper beforehand but no.

Just press the 100% beef burger and grill it. When it is on the grill this is where you must add salt and pepper as you would a steak.

The quality of beef is important. Use freshly ground steak cut beef with a bit of fat on it. I think people rave too much on fat content but have read around 15-20% is ideal. I just use minced sirlion tip.

Dont use frozen beef as it loses it quality with freezing and also goes brown so if you cook it medium it is not going to have the nice bright red. Also if you add a bunch of rubbish to your burger and make it a meatball then cooking it medium doesnt really work either.

Its this simple.

I agree about not adding bread crumbs and egg unless you are interested in making meatballs or a meatloaf. About fat....it is, as you mentioned, an important consideration, but you added "people rave too much on fat content." In Thailand, beef is often almost devoid of fat. Why? Because they refuse to grain feed cattle. Meat with little fat content is not the best for making really good hamburgers. The fat is what keeps the meat from falling apart on the grill. Fat also makes the burger juicy and provides flavour. Some people add a small amount of vegetable oil to the ground beef in order to help keep it from falling apart.

• Like 2

If your in thailand goto the thai french butcher in the alley next to villa market on soi 31 (i think) and ask for minced macreuse or sirloin tip. It is perfect for making burgers with and is about 280 a kg. It is better than your average thai beef

What town is that??

Soi 31 in Thailand?

But thank you for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If your in thailand goto the thai french butcher in the alley next to villa market on soi 31 (i think) and ask for minced macreuse or sirloin tip. It is perfect for making burgers with and is about 280 a kg. It is better than your average thai beef

What town is that??

Soi 31 in Thailand?

Yes, he's talking about a Thai butcher shop in Bangkok, near the Villa Market on Sukhumvit Road at Sukhumvit Soi 33. The market is on the main road. The butcher's shop is a block into the soi.

I'm all for using bread crumbs and eggs as binder for burgers...ye just got to know what you're doing so that they don't turn into rissoles...

the arabs got a good idea when they make kofta with ground lamb; I say use the same technique but with beef instead...

this all presumes that you can find suitable beef to begin with which is difficult up here in 'Nakhon de Nowhere'...

('oh?...do you have a cute little french butcher that sells wonderful gourmet meat?...how wonderful for yooouuu...')

tutsiwarrior and the re-incarnation of Tom Joad...a common man fighting for the common people (at least those without proper burger fixin's)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2JR3FmvVAw

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I'm all for using bread crumbs and eggs as binder for burgers...ye just got to know what you're doing so that they don't turn into rissoles...

the arabs got a good idea when they make kofta with ground lamb; I say use the same technique but with beef instead...

this all presumes that you can find suitable beef to begin with which is difficult up here in 'Nakhon de Nowhere'...

('oh?...do you have a cute little french butcher that sells wonderful gourmet meat?...how wonderful for yooouuu...')

tutsiwarrior and the re-incarnation of Tom Joad...a common man fighting for the common people (at least those without proper burger fixin's)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2JR3FmvVAw

You SOB's got no excuse....plenty coos to practice your shootin an dicin' up there.

smokes...are yew calling Tom Joad a redneck?...that's like callin' Abraham Lincoln a pompous windbag...choose off, it's wid de razors at de Barrowgate... me an de 'Razor King' and his division will be there t'meet ye...

(later, we can chase off de tourists and have a bevvy across de road at de Saraheid...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason bread crumbs or egg works is that you have to work the hamburger to mix it in. Just knead the raw meat well all by itself, form it into a ball, make a patty and cook. If you try to cook ground meat without kneading it, it will indeed fall apart. The only thing I add is salt and pepper before working the hamburger.

• Like 1

I would give anything just to find good beef. (I'm in Chaiyaphum). I got some at the local markets and it actually looked like

a good cut and fresh but it was pretty tasteless, not like the beef we get in Australia. I do my mince in the food processor and having wonderful success. Trick is cut it up in big cubes first and in the freezer for about an hour before processing. Get a good even fine mince. Seen some awful beef in Makro but they did have frozen NZ legs of lamb.

I have been making pork burgers. Haven't found any Eurpoean herbs to put in yet unfortunately apart from onion salt and pepper.

Would love to get some seeds for stuff like parsley, sage, Thyme etc. Haven't seen anything around :-(