Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

I received an email today stating my passport is ready to be issued. Any idea what issued means?? Ready for posting, printing, etc.

Anyone else had this and knows the time it will take to get the passport?

What did your email say?

1) Passport is 'In examination'

2) Passport has been 'Passed for Printing'

1) Means nothing - your application is sitting in an orange box somewhere, keep enquiring.

2) Your passport will be in BKK for collection in between 10-14 days.

If it's 2) then you may be a new record holder as the fastest turn around for application to collection in Thailand reported to date under the new 'system' is 7.5 weeks.

Perhaps your passport has been pulled from the pile by accident, maybe your name is similar to some high up cabinet minister's neighbor's cousin whose application was supposed to have been pulled from the pile.

5.5 Weeks would be a truly astonishing figure compared to the norm of 8-10 weeks.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received an email today stating my passport is ready to be issued. Any idea what issued means?? Ready for posting, printing, etc.

What did your email say?

1) Means nothing - your application is sitting in an orange box somewhere, keep enquiring.

If it's 2) then you may be a new record holder as the fastest turn around for application to collection in Thailand reported to date under the new 'system' is 7.5 weeks.

Perhaps your passport has been pulled from the pile by accident, maybe your name is similar to some high up cabinet minister's neighbor's cousin whose application was supposed to have been pulled from the pile.

5.5 Weeks would be a truly astonishing figure compared to the norm of 8-10 weeks.

They said that my passport was in for 'checking'??

That's pathetic, right?

Handed it in on the 26th May, I need this by mid-August.

Clowns.

Hi all, Newbie here

Passport has been with Trendy since the 12th of May, tried emailing and calling but no answers or none that make any sense.

Non O 3 month visa is due to run out on the 23rd of this month. Have tried calling the local immigration offices but have yet to answer, will pop down tomorrow and see but could anyone confirm if immigration are able to give an extension until my passport arrives?

I am worried to hell that I will overstay if my passport is not back in time and from reading on here, my passport has been "zapped" so I can't go out of the country.

Passport has 1 year left and 3 pages spare if that makes any difference.

Will know tomorrow but been effecting my sleep for the past few days.

Thanks

Two simple questions:

1) What is the actual expiry date of your UK passport?

2) Is your 90 day Single Entry Non Immigrant 'O' based on Thai Family - child/wife?

Please let the thread know the answers and then we can give you best advice.

Hi there

1) Passport expires in June 2015

2) Non O is based on Thai wife.

Thanks in advance

Hi all, Newbie here

Passport has been with Trendy since the 12th of May, tried emailing and calling but no answers or none that make any sense.

Non O 3 month visa is due to run out on the 23rd of this month. Have tried calling the local immigration offices but have yet to answer, will pop down tomorrow and see but could anyone confirm if immigration are able to give an extension until my passport arrives?

I am worried to hell that I will overstay if my passport is not back in time and from reading on here, my passport has been "zapped" so I can't go out of the country.

Passport has 1 year left and 3 pages spare if that makes any difference.

Will know tomorrow but been effecting my sleep for the past few days.

Thanks

Two simple questions:

1) What is the actual expiry date of your UK passport?

2) Is your 90 day Single Entry Non Immigrant 'O' based on Thai Family - child/wife?

Please let the thread know the answers and then we can give you best advice.

Hi there

1) Passport expires in June 2015

2) Non O is based on Thai wife.

Thanks in advance

Ok, you will be fine.

Your local Thai immigration does not know that your passport has been cancelled for travel, so you will have no problem getting a 60 day 'visiting spouse' Extension of Permission to Stay at your local Thai Immigration Department (National Police Order 777/2551 Case 2.24). Just go there with your wife, ID Card, House Book and Thai Marriage papers.

Don't even bother mentioning about it being cancelled, it will only confuse them.

If you can further show 400,000 THB in a Thai bank in your name for two months prior, then you can follow up with a one year extension of stay based on Thai family (National Police Order 777/2551 Case 2.18), which would run until June 2015.

Little bit more paperwork for this

This should be enough time, even for the fiasco laden HMPO Muppets flying the disaster that all overseas renewal applicants are currently trapped in, to produce your replacement passport.

Good Luck.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 2

What did your email say?

They said that my passport was in for 'checking'??

That's pathetic, right?

Handed it in on the 26th May, I need this by mid-August.

Clowns.

Yes, 'in checking' I am sure is another way of saying 'In examination' - which basically means that your passport is getting lonely in an orange box under a pile of orange boxes, in a queue somewhere in one of the HMPO Liverpool conference rooms that are no longer needed for conferences.

Currently these imbeciles are managing to deliver an overseas 10 week application to collection turn around; since mid August is 12 weeks from your application date, it will be tight, but you may just squeak it.

How does it feel to be a Third Class Citizen?

• Like 1

What did your email say?

As I said in my original post 'passport is ready to be issued'. So neither of your options, I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Although this should be of little consequence, after I applied I changed my plans and have to go back to the UK. So I was calling the help line and getting family in the UK to call to get the new passport stopped being sent out here. Both my family and I were told they would call back many times, but they never did.

Maybe the hassling works, or maybe their phrase of 'issued' can mean a multitude of things. Dunno.

What did your email say?

As I said in my original post 'passport is ready to be issued'. So neither of your options, I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Although this should be of little consequence, after I applied I changed my plans and have to go back to the UK. So I was calling the help line and getting family in the UK to call to get the new passport stopped being sent out here. Both my family and I were told they would call back many times, but they never did.

Maybe the hassling works, or maybe their phrase of 'issued' can mean a multitude of things. Dunno.

Was the email from Liverpool HMPO or Cardiff HMPO?

If it was from VFS trendy towers, it's not worth the paper it's written on.

It would be good to see the exact text of the email (with all personal references removed of course).

If you are now going to travel to the UK that will really put a spoke in the wheel - no idea how HMPO could handle that - certainly you are expected to collect/receive from where you apply - the whole process is geared up to that.

Main problem with your now planning to travel to the UK is that your passport is now cancelled ('zapped') on an internationally visible data base and cannot be used for travel.

You would need to buy an emergency passport (ETD) for 95 GBP from the British Embassy in BKK to make the journey.

Problem with the hassling is that calls mostly go to a third party contract call centre where most staff know next to nothing and emails go to Newport who have stock excuses for any issue you may raise.

However, one thing is for sure, do nothing and your application will certainly sit there in its orange box gathering dust.

• Like 1

What did your email say?

It would be good to see the exact text of the email (with all personal references removed of course).

If you are now going to travel to the UK that will really put a spoke in the wheel - no idea how HMPO could handle that - certainly you are expected to collect/receive from where you apply - the whole process is geared up to that.

Main problem with your now planning to travel to the UK is that your passport is now cancelled ('zapped') on an internationally visible data base and cannot be used for travel.

You would need to buy an emergency passport (ETD) for 95 GBP from the British Embassy in BKK to make the journey.

Problem with the hassling is that calls mostly go to a third party contract call centre where most staff know next to nothing and emails go to Newport who have stock excuses for any issue you may raise.

However, one thing is for sure, do nothing and your application will certainly sit there in its orange box gathering dust.

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXX passport is ready to be issued, can you confirm where the passport is to be posted to.

That was from Liverpool.

Yeah, I'm well aware that I will probably need to fork out for a travel document.

I replied that they can either guarantee the arrival of my passport, before my departure date, send it to my parents address or keep it in the UK for me to collect.

Edited by mjj

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXX passport is ready to be issued, can you confirm where the passport is to be posted to.

That was from Liverpool.

Yeah, I'm well aware that I will probably need to fork out for a travel document.

I replied that they can either guarantee the arrival of my passport, before my departure date, send it to my parents address or keep it in the UK for me to collect.

Ok thanks for that, looks to me like your passport is already back from the printers - ask them to courier it to your home address in Thailand - you've paid the courier fee already. Why not as they've offered?

'.... ready to be issued, can you confirm confirm where the passport is to be posted to' - you applied in BKK right?

HMPO previously wrote to me on 29th April when I queried the need to travel to BKK twice:

In order to guarantee public protection and so that the passport once replaced cannot be reused for illegal purposes should it be intercepted by a third party it is important that the replaced passport is physically cancelled.

To ensure this takes place, the new passport is returned to the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok where the customer must present their “old” passport for it to be physically cancelled at which time they will then be presented with their new passport.

Cold comfort that I and others who live outside of BKK are still expected to make up to 2,000Km round trips to BKK to collect new passports, but that HMPO Liverpool it seems are now quite happy, as in your case, to post a particular passport to wherever you specify....

Whatever happened to their 'concern for public protection' that forces us all to make hugely inconvenient, time consuming and expensive journeys to/from BKK to apply and collect overseas passports?

Seems that the system is now well and truly broken - good luck with your particular situation - hope it comes good and doesn't cost you any more than you shelled out for the original application.

Yeah, applied in BKK. I don't know if they are giving me the options of my current address on Samui, collection in BKK or back in the UK.

If I get it in time, great. But I was expecting to cancel the application once back in the UK and fast track re-apply from the UK.

That was from Liverpool.

Ok thanks for that, looks to me like your passport is already back from the printers - ask them to courier it to your home address in Thailand - you've paid the courier fee already. Why not as they've offered?

'.... ready to be issued, can you confirm confirm where the passport is to be posted to' - you applied in BKK right?

HMPO previously wrote to me on 29th April when I queried the need to travel to BKK twice:

In order to guarantee public protection and so that the passport once replaced cannot be reused for illegal purposes should it be intercepted by a third party it is important that the replaced passport is physically cancelled.

To ensure this takes place, the new passport is returned to the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok where the customer must present their old passport for it to be physically cancelled at which time they will then be presented with their new passport.

Cold comfort that I and others who live outside of BKK are still expected to make up to 2,000Km round trips to BKK to collect new passports, but that HMPO Liverpool it seems are now quite happy, as in your case, to post a particular passport to wherever you specify....

Whatever happened to their 'concern for public protection' that forces us all to make hugely inconvenient, time consuming and expensive journeys to/from BKK to apply and collect overseas passports?

Seems that the system is now well and truly broken - good luck with your particular situation - hope it comes good and doesn't cost you any more than you shelled out for the original application.

Regarding collecting your passport from Bangkok, when I applied I asked if I had to collect it personally and was told no. I could send someone to collect it. Don't take it from me as a bona fide guarantee, but that was what I was told.

Watso

, I was in Chiang Mai Immigration yesterday for another extension to my Visa Exemption, with a doctor's note, but there is no room on my passport for another stamp.

My previous visits there they had filled the last page and a half with their stamps, corrections for wrong date, and other scribbling and left no room.

They were not prepared to squeeze another stamp in anywhere while I await my new passport, so I have to go to British Consulate today for an Emergency Passport.

Today my visa expires

Watso

, I was in Chiang Mai Immigration yesterday for another extension to my Visa Exemption, with a doctor's note, but there is no room on my passport for another stamp.

My previous visits there they had filled the last page and a half with their stamps, corrections for wrong date, and other scribbling and left no room.

They were not prepared to squeeze another stamp in anywhere while I await my new passport, so I have to go to British Consulate today for an Emergency Passport.

Today my visa expires

That does mean you will effectively be on overstay as of tomorrow. Not good for you. Can't remember, but are you waiting for a new passport to arrive and if so, when did you apply? Anyway, there you have it. A not so friendly and helpful IO. Good luck rikki. Edited by watso63

That was from Liverpool.

To ensure this takes place, the new passport is returned to the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok where the customer must present their old passport for it to be physically cancelled at which time they will then be presented with their new passport.

Regarding collecting your passport from Bangkok, when I applied I asked if I had to collect it personally and was told no. I could send someone to collect it. Don't take it from me as a bona fide guarantee, but that was what I was told.

That is correct. It is on the website and was a concession granted last month.

That was from Liverpool.

That is correct. It is on the website and was a concession granted last month.

Yeah, applied in BKK. I don't know if they are giving me the options of my current address on Samui, collection in BKK or back in the UK.

If I get it in time, great. But I was expecting to cancel the application once back in the UK and fast track re-apply from the UK.

Let's hope you don't need to cancel - that opens up yet another can of worms.

Cancellation apparently takes a minimum of two weeks and you must apply in writing to where you originally applied.

In your case that means trendy towers who doubtless have not yet had to deal with such a thing and probably still don't have the English skills to deal with what to them would be a very complex request.

Watso

Today my visa expires

Please let us know as to how it goes and as to what itinerary you supplied to the British Consulate for your ETD.

Good luck.

British Consulate informed me that an Emergency Passport is only for travelling, so I have to go onto overstay.(until my new passport arrives)

Despite CM immigration telling me that consulate can issue me with something so I can get a visa extension, and British Embassy advising me on phone last week that I can get an Emergency Passport in Chiang Mai same day if necessary.

So it looks like 15,000bt in overstay fines coming up

And all because CM Immigration used up all the remaining space in my passport with their previous stamps with wrong date, giving me 2weeks instead of 30 days, corrections, scribbling and otherwise using as much space as possible.

British Consulate informed me that an Emergency Passport is only for travelling, so I have to go onto overstay.(until my new passport arrives)

Despite CM immigration telling me that consulate can issue me with something so I can get a visa extension, and British Embassy advising me on phone last week that I can get an Emergency Passport in Chiang Mai same day if necessary.

So it looks like 15,000bt in overstay fines coming up

And all because CM Immigration used up all the remaining space in my passport with their previous stamps with wrong date, giving me 2weeks instead of 30 days, corrections, scribbling and otherwise using as much space as possible.

It's your a...e on the line here - just tell the British Consulate that you have to go to say Penang Malaysia a.s.a.p. to get a new visa and get the ETD.

Your other option is to make an ETD for a return trip to the UK to make a fresh passport application - a very expensive option albeit..

The ETD will have 9 month's validity, go to Chiang Mai Immigration with the ETD and try to get another extension - you might be lucky.

I know you are on medical extensions, however if you can't get an extension you can always make the stated journey to Malaysia and try to get a new visa of some sorts and return.

Better than an overstay, forget the moral aspects of misleading the Consulate, it's the British Government that's well and truly shafted you - now it's time to just save your self.

• Like 2

i'm in a bit of a pickle too, my visa expired 10 days ago. I emailed the consulate in Bangkok who managed to escalate my complaint and thankfully it's finally arrived- 8 weeks from start to finish. I'm worried about getting blacklisted and not being able to get back in- my old passport is full of back to back in and outs. Question to those who've been through this sorry process- do I have to go to an immigration office somewhere once I pick it up or can I just get a flight booked and deal with the overstay fine etc at the airport? any advice gratefully received :-)

i'm in a bit of a pickle too, my visa expired 10 days ago. I emailed the consulate in Bangkok who managed to escalate my complaint and thankfully it's finally arrived- 8 weeks from start to finish. I'm worried about getting blacklisted and not being able to get back in- my old passport is full of back to back in and outs. Question to those who've been through this sorry process- do I have to go to an immigration office somewhere once I pick it up or can I just get a flight booked and deal with the overstay fine etc at the airport? any advice gratefully received :-)

8 weeks is not that bad, you should think yourself lucky. As for being blacklisted? Are you actually for real??

What email did you use to complain?

8 weeks is not that bad, you should think yourself lucky. As for being blacklisted? Are you actually for real??

Here we go again! Pattaya Pat, why the insults? Are you not aware of the proposed blacklisting of overstayers? The rules are not in force yet, but are imminent.

Citybird, what visa do you have right now and will you be able to qualify for a change to a Non O and then an extension of stay?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here we go again! Pattaya Pat, why the insults? Are you not aware of the proposed blacklisting of overstayers? The rules are not in force yet, but are imminent.

Citybird, what visa do you have right now and will you be able to qualify for a change to a Non O and then an extension of stay?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I believe the you have to be on overstay by at least 9 months before any ban is placed on an individual. Furthermore, it is common knowledge that immigation are well aware of these delays and will take that on board if going on to overstay. So Pattaya Pat, although he has his own, shall we say, unique posting style, he was actually right in what he said, it was a ridiculous over-reaction from the original poster.

ha ha thanks all. Yep, let's hope it's a massive over-reaction on my part and you're right, it could've been so much worse.

I'm on a standard double entry tourist visa.

I didn't email Trendy, I tried emailing the UK several times, and calling...nobody called me back or I just got cut off every time.

In the end I used this email address: [email protected]

they were pretty helpful once they knew I was overstaying. I doubt they would have got involved otherwise.

Looks like an expensive few days ahead...