Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Ah, well that makes more sense as I've never heard of a Thai not sleeping before!

I've only ever been on one of these marathon bus journeys once before (I prefer planes) it was around 12 years ago now and ironically was from Phuket to Bangkok. What i recall was a huge very nice VIP bus, very comfortable inside and I believe only had 12 extremely large reclining seats, very comfortable. I wouldn't say that I slept great but definitely got some kip. These things are huge, so find it very hard to believe that pot holes would keep you awake.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forced thousand kilometer trips is an ordeal, particularly if you're elderly or disabled, even if it is only once every 10 years.

But then it practice it isn't every 10 years. If one takes a trip or two abroad every year, even if just popping across the border to a neighbouring country, then the pages of even a "jumbo" passport get used up long before 10 years has passed.

You too might one day get old or handicapped. Have a little compassion for others.

No need to throw the old and disabled card. I know of ex -pat men in their eighties who would bite your head off if you suggested they were too old to do anything.

They still go to immigration, get Thai DL's, and visit home countries.

If you decide to leave the safety of UK shores all these factors need considering, pensions, banking, health insurance etc. Known as the "what if___ factor"

HMPO could be real and make us all fly home to renew a passport. Good Morning.

Don't hold your breath, I think first it will two trips to Hong Kong, then yes after that two trips to the UK. They will probably have to do this to try eventually to try and recover some of the millions they have already lost on this current fiasco.

I am able bodied, not retired and have just got back from my second, 40 hour 2,000 km round trip, which included 1x 12 hour and 1x 13 hour overnight bus trips, plus quite a bit of wandering around BKK on public transport.

This, trust me, was unpleasant and you have to be out of your mind to think that anyone could 'enjoy' this chore or even accept it as necessary purely to 'prevent identity theft'.

10 years ago, the last time I renewed my UK passport here in Thailand, I posted the papers to the FCO (British Embassy in BKK) by EMS and got my new passport back within I recollect around 10 days - good service and totally painless.

This stands in stark contract to the f..king lousey apology for a service offered today by HMPO/trendy.

Yes we all know about 'what ifs', but sorry this apology of a third class service just does not cut it.

Every British Government has it apologists, but this shambles will take quite some explaining away.

The fact that there are British Octogenarians prepared to do this trip says more about the British Character, than it does about idiots who are running the British Government.

Was the round trip definitely 2000 km's? Just that you have never mentioned it before!

Glad you got the damned thing anwyay, but what are you going to talk about all day now??

Btw, did you not hve to go to the Brit embassy to get that letter for immigration before they transfer the visas?

Embassy was shut by the time I got there, only open until 11:00 for consular services, understand that it is possible to do this by email.

btw you can't transfer visas, only extensions/re-entry permits and entry stamps; for visas you show the old passport.

I needed no such letter and this is what the stamp looks like. Page 3 (not shown has this years extension stamp).

Note original entry TR (Tourist Visa) & change to Non O, then retirement extension.

Call your IO for clarification of the need or not for the letter. Anyway, glad you got yours without any overstay.

post-192685-0-17090800-1406004346_thumb.

Edited by watso63

Glad you eventually got your passport Digi, what a palava.

Don't listen to Victor too much, he doesn't seem to have anything better to do other than winding people up.

• Like 1

No need to throw the old and disabled card. I know of ex -pat men in their eighties who would bite your head off if you suggested they were too old to do anything.

They still go to immigration, get Thai DL's, and visit home countries.

If you decide to leave the safety of UK shores all these factors need considering, pensions, banking, health insurance etc. Known as the "what if___ factor"

HMPO could be real <deleted> and make us all fly home to renew a passport. Good Morning.

Don't hold your breath, I think first it will two trips to Hong Kong, then yes after that two trips to the UK. They will probably have to do this to try eventually to try and recover some of the millions they have already lost on this current fiasco.

I am able bodied, not retired and have just got back from my second, 40 hour 2,000 km round trip, which included 1x 12 hour and 1x 13 hour overnight bus trips, plus quite a bit of wandering around BKK on public transport.

This, trust me, was unpleasant and you have to be out of your mind to think that anyone could 'enjoy' this chore or even accept it as necessary purely to 'prevent identity theft'.

10 years ago, the last time I renewed my UK passport here in Thailand, I posted the papers to the FCO (British Embassy in BKK) by EMS and got my new passport back within I recollect around 10 days - good service and totally painless.

This stands in stark contract to the f..king lousey apology for a service offered today by HMPO/trendy.

Yes we all know about 'what ifs', but sorry this apology of a third class service just does not cut it.

Every British Government has it apologists, but this shambles will take quite some explaining away.

The fact that there are British Octogenarians prepared to do this trip says more about the British Character, than it does about idiots who are running the British Government.

Was the round trip definitely 2000 km's? Just that you have never mentioned it before!

Glad you got the damned thing anwyay, but what are you going to talk about all day now??

Btw, did you not hve to go to the Brit embassy to get that letter for immigration before they transfer the visas?

Embassy was shut by the time I got there, only open until 11:00 for consular services, understand that it is possible to do this by email.

btw you can't transfer visas, only extensions/re-entry permits and entry stamps; for visas you show the old passport.

That is not quite true.

I had my stamps transferred yesterday. Three pages were taken up with the re-entry permit, the retirement extension and the last visa details stamp. In my case this quotes details of my non-imm O from my previous passport.

I will not throw away my old passport just yet smile.png

(Having applied for a 48 page passport, and being issued a 32 page passport, I now have 23 blank pages remaining!)

Don't listen to Victor too much, he doesn't seem to have anything better to do other than winding people up.

Another sheep calling me Victor. Well done. Ironic really as I'm the one that has complained the least about this fiasco.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up, just trying to bring a bit of balance to the thread that you poor hard done by hyserical queens have created..

• Like 1

Another sheep calling me Victor. Well done. Ironic really as I'm the one that has complained the least about this fiasco.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up, just trying to bring a bit of balance to the thread that you poor hard done by hyserical queens have created..

Now that really is funny. Will have to look in the dictionary to find where balanced and unhinged mean the same thing. Or are you overheating?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

That is not quite true.

I had my stamps transferred yesterday. Three pages were taken up with the re-entry permit, the retirement extension and the last visa details stamp. In my case this quotes details of my non-imm O from my previous passport.

I will not throw away my old passport just yet smile.png

(Having applied for a 48 page passport, and being issued a 32 page passport, I now have 23 blank pages remaining!)

Yes, they note some past/current visa details in the new passport, but any valid visa it self is not (cannot be) transferred.

Please to report that HMPO gave me a '48' page version (which is what I requested and paid for) - although it took a few looks before I could see the watermark like page numbers.

Ah, well that makes more sense as I've never heard of a Thai not sleeping before!

I've only ever been on one of these marathon bus journeys once before (I prefer planes) it was around 12 years ago now and ironically was from Phuket to Bangkok. What i recall was a huge very nice VIP bus, very comfortable inside and I believe only had 12 extremely large reclining seats, very comfortable. I wouldn't say that I slept great but definitely got some kip. These things are huge, so find it very hard to believe that pot holes would keep you awake.

The VIP buses you describe cost almost as much as a plane ticket, the 'affordable' ones I use currently have 48 seats.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Now that really is funny. Will have to look in the dictionary to find where balanced and unhinged mean the same thing. Or are you overheating?

What is 'funny' is that some find a trip to bkk once every TEN YEARS a hellish ordeal. No idea how these people survive in todays world if that is such a huge drama, or is it that the Thai Visa boards are frequented by gormless cheap charlie nerds. Mmmm..

What is 'funny' is that some find a trip to bkk once every TEN YEARS a hellish ordeal. No idea how these people survive in todays world if that is such a huge drama, or is it that the Thai Visa boards are frequented by gormless cheap charlie nerds. Mmmm..

You still here? 5555

The VIP buses you describe cost almost as much as a plane ticket, the 'affordable' ones I use currently have 48 seats.

Ah well, there you go then. You get what you pay for. That trip must have been an absolute hell.

Anyway, glad you got your PP, I'll leave you in peace now to discuss with the others.

Pattaya Pat OUT.

Edited by Pattaya Pat
  • Like 1

Twice per passport Victor, if you don't know anyone in BKK.

btw my children's passports have to be renewed every 5 years.

• Like 1

This is I'm scared of, that's just sitting at trendy.

I have emailed trendy but no reply and they don't have a phone number to call. I'm thinking of flying down there tomorrow or Wednesday...

Don't just travel down to BKK on spec, it could be a wasted journey.

I have just collected my passport, almost 9 weeks after application (some strings were pulled even for this), pleased to report all was in order.

Will do a more detailed report in due course, only just got back after a 2000 km, 40 hour bus journey, not pleasant.

Me being me, I insisted on taking the DHL Envelope that my passport came in, trendy were quite keen to throw it away.

Lots of info, so it's worth phoning DHL first:

1) The DHL delivery is addressed to (your name with middle initial) UK VAC, TRENDY OFFICE BUILDING 28TH FL, SUKHUMVIT SOI13, KLONGTOEY-NUA, BANGKOK 10110 THAILAND.

2) The package has your phone number as well.

3) DHL Account number 185043443.

4) Trace enquiries [email protected]

5) Package is DOX, Sent from LHR.

6) From DDGS C/O DHS Global Forwarding, Danzas Houase, Dawley Park, Hayes, Middlesex, UB3 1HJ United Kingdom.

Good luck, for reference, I noted that trendy had received my passport package 6 days before they bothered to contact me to notify that it had arrived.

I am just on 10 weeks and nothing so you must have jumped the queue. Looks like the sooner you complain the sooner you are dealt with.

Digi

Glad you finally got sorted with your passport.

I would like to thank you for the help and advise you have given to your fellow British citizens on this thread and hope you stick around as I'm sure there will be many in need of your help in the coming months/ hopefully common sense will prevail and it won't be years until they have a better fairer system than expecting anyone to travel thousands of kilometres for a ten minute pop in,to present your documents and the same again to collect your passport when it finally arrives back.

+1

HMPO could be real <deleted> and make us all fly home to renew a passport. Good Morning.

I intend to do precisely this in any event if all this nonsense (or something even more hellish) is still around when I next need to renew my passport.

I finally received notification that my passport is ready for collection (applied May 7th). I was told, when applying, that no appointment was necessary when collecting, but the following statement was in my e-mail.

I would be grateful if you could advise when you wish to collect the passport. Our opening days and hours are as follows:

Monday to Friday / 08.30 hours to 15.00 hours..

Please send an email to HMPO Bangkok Centre to confirm collection of the passport.

We need an exact time and date.

Their command of the English language seems to have improved. I'll collect it next Wednesday.

I finally received notification that my passport is ready for collection (applied May 7th). I was told, when applying, that no appointment was necessary when collecting, but the following statement was in my e-mail.

I would be grateful if you could advise when you wish to collect the passport. Our opening days and hours are as follows:

Please send an email to HMPO Bangkok Centre to confirm collection of the passport.

Their command of the English language seems to have improved. I'll collect it next Wednesday.

First of all congratulations, eleven weeks though, represents a terrible, third class, service.

Yes, their English has improved, but as of yesterday (Monday 21st July) they did not need an appointment to collect.

As regards an appointment, unless it suits you, then since HMPO/trendy have caused us sufficient inconvenience already - go when it suits you, there is no need to make an appointment.

My name was not on any list, just walked up to the security guys at the scanning gate, told them I was there to collect a passport, they just waved me through.

The door keeper lady, who I have no doubt speaks fluent Thai, however is not blessed with any English skills to match, told me three times "you telephone open", I just smiled nicely and went in.

Now you go to one of the ten or so, microscopic, 'booths' that they have built at the far end - each big enough for a small desk with common access at the rear for the trendy folk and a frosted glass door concealing the applicants chair - somewhat claustrophobic.

I asked where I should go to collect a replacement passport and they sent me to Booth 5, only at this stage did I furnish my name and show the A4 receipt I was given 9 weeks ago when I applied.

They have a supervisor now who has superior English skills, the desk clerk was proficient, but could not answer some of my more detailed questions, hence the supervisor's arrival.

For me, the one saving grace this time was that I did not have to make an appointment to collect, which gave me some limited flexibility on my travel plans.

Having to make an appointment to collect, may yet further delay collection from what is already a simply appalling service.

I just had a call from them asking me when I was coming to pick up my passport.

When I applied way back in April Liverpool sent me some new forms saying I hadn't signed one of them which I returned.

Considering I picked up my new passport over a month ago I can only imagine that Liverpool processed mines twice or the system in the Trendy needs some tweaking

The mind boggles

First of all congratulations, eleven weeks though, represents a terrible, third class, service.

Yes, their English has improved, but as of yesterday (Monday 21st July) they did not need an appointment to collect.

As regards an appointment, unless it suits you, then since HMPO/trendy have caused us sufficient inconvenience already - go when it suits you, there is no need to make an appointment.

My name was not on any list, just walked up to the security guys at the scanning gate, told them I was there to collect a passport, they just waved me through.

The door keeper lady, who I have no doubt speaks fluent Thai, however is not blessed with any English skills to match, told me three times "you telephone open", I just smiled nicely and went in.

Now you go to one of the ten or so, microscopic, 'booths' that they have built at the far end - each big enough for a small desk with common access at the rear for the trendy folk and a frosted glass door concealing the applicants chair - somewhat claustrophobic.

I asked where I should go to collect a replacement passport and they sent me to Booth 5, only at this stage did I furnish my name and show the A4 receipt I was given 9 weeks ago when I applied.

They have a supervisor now who has superior English skills, the desk clerk was proficient, but could not answer some of my more detailed questions, hence the supervisor's arrival.

For me, the one saving grace this time was that I did not have to make an appointment to collect, which gave me some limited flexibility on my travel plans.

Having to make an appointment to collect, may yet further delay collection from what is already a simply appalling service.

Out of interest, what detailed questions did you have?

Ah well, there you go then. You get what you pay for. That trip must have been an absolute hell.

Anyway, glad you got your PP, I'll leave you in peace now to discuss with the others.

Pattaya Pat OUT.

You still here Victor

I thought by now you would be getting geared up to post bashing Alan Curbishley on the football forum or knuckle dusting all comers at your favorite bar on the dark side

Pattaya Pat OUT.

You still here Victor

I thought by now you would be getting geared up to post bashing Alan Curbishley on the football forum or knuckle dusting all comers at your favorite bar on the dark side

Hee hee. Did you really have to remind me about Alan 'marquee signing' Curbishley. I wonder if he wil be calling any games in September 'must wins' like he did last season? The man is an utter fraud and will never work in football again.

Yes, trendy have been saying that, almost since the beginning, however the HMPO website says that you must collect in person, but that someone can apply on your behalf if you are unable to attend.

Again there is a significant lack of clear information on procedures/variations, trendy don't answer enquiries by email, HMPO help line operators are mostly clueless, plus trendy don't have a public phone line..

Third class service indeed.

Definitely third class service. In their eventual response to the email I sent them in April (which I quoted in a posting earlier in this thread), HMPO fobbed me off with the vague excuse that the requirement to submit renewal applications to - and subsequently collect replacement passports from - the With-It Office Building in Bangkok in person was brought about by the need for “passport security checks”. In the (optimistic) hope of teasing a rather more meaningful explanation out of them, I have now sent them a further email, as follows, which includes a Freedom Of Information request:-

“It would appear that passport security checks lie at the heart of the requirements which were introduced on 8 March 2014 for (1) passport renewal applications from Thailand to be submitted in person by applicants to the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok (instead of submitted by applicants direct to HMPO’s Liverpool office), and (2) for the new passports resulting from these applications to be collected in person by applicants from the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok (instead of being sent direct from the UK to applicants by DHL courier).

“Whilst it is, indeed, now the case that applicants no longer need to attend in person at the UK Visa Application Centre for the purposes of submitting their passport renewal applications - and, subsequently, collecting their new passports - nevertheless there remains the very real possibility of applicants living in remote parts of Thailand being deprived of their existing passports for several days in total while these are being transported to and from Bangkok with authorised representatives for application submission - and, again, replacement passport collection - purposes. This would clearly place them in breach of the Bangkok Embassy’s interpretation of the legal requirement in Thailand for passports to be carried by their holders with them at all times!

“In any event, I am sure that I am not alone in wondering why the particular passport security checks which now require passport renewal applications from Thailand to be physically submitted to - and replacement passports to be physically collected from - Bangkok were apparently not deemed to be necessary prior to 8 March 2014. Since HMPO has clearly chosen not to place a full justification for these particular changes in the public domain for some mysterious reason, I am now hereby submitting a request under the Freedom Of Information Act 2000 for paper or electronic copies of all original documents relating to HMPO’s decision to require passport renewal applicants from Thailand to have their applications submitted to - and, subsequently, their replacement passports collected from - the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok in person as from 8 March 2014.”

Finally received an acknowledgement email from HMPO today informing me that my FOI request had been passed to their Parliamentary and Diplomatic Enquiries Team. We're already 1 week into the 4-week deadline they have for providing the info I've requested.

Hee hee. Did you really have to remind me about Alan 'marquee signing' Curbishley. I wonder if he wil be calling any games in September 'must wins' like he did last season? The man is an utter fraud and will never work in football again.

Give me Alan Curbishley over that unintelligible clown Peter Reid any time, Pat!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

If I get the 12 months extension, can I get another one after 1 year?

As things stand at present, no. But who knows at the present time by how much HMPO may move the goalposts further over the next 12 months and possibly allow this by then (oops, apologies for the metaphorical ref to football!)?

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1