Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Just had a reply to an email I sent to Liverpool this morning. They seem to be getting their act together.

me to overseas priority team 3 :

"is there anyway I can track my passport so I know when it arrives at VFS office in Bangkok. There have been reports of passports sitting in their custody for nearly a month because they never bothered to inform people their passports were ready for collection.

(totally unnecessary middle men)

many thanks parryhandy "

reply :

"Good Morning Parryhandy,
I have checked DHL and the estimated time for delivery to Local services is by the end of the day Fri 25/07/14.
Best Regards
Andrea"

Mrs A.Ascroft: Her Majesty's Passport Office | Overseas Team 3 | 101 Old Hall Street | Liverpool | L3 9BP

Heads up, trendy sat on my passport for 6 days before they bothered to call and let me know it was available for collection.

Now the latest turn of the nightmare screw is that trendy have just started trying to get applicants to make an email appointment to collect - Grrrrrr.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got the phone call.

Can I fly to Bangkok without a visa(ie on old passport on overstay?)

Or do I have to wait until monday and bus there from chiang mai?

I dont know anyone in BKK to collect for me

And if I can get it tomorrow Friday,how do I stop the overstay? Just leave the country? without a visa?

Or do I have to go back to immigration and reapply there on Monday?

Can I just hop on a plane out of the country and pay overstay on the way, or is it more complicated than that?

Good (you got the 'call')

I guess you should be able to use your expired passport for ID on an internal flight to BKK.

Overstay, you should get your extension/entry stamps transferred your new passport at Thai Immigration.

But it may complicate issues plus it will take you time to get the authorization document from British Embassy Consular Services, they close at 11:00 am weekdays for applications!! (neither HMPO or trendy can be bothered to provide this document). The authorization letter can be done via email/EMS, but allow 5 days + fro this route.

However, you were on a medical extension, so maybe you could swing it at Thai Immigration, worth a try.

Worst case, book your flight and bowl up at least an hour earlier than required for your flight, with the right cash.

You mean I cant just collect my new blank passport from Trendy then off to the airport and pay the overstay there on my way out of the country?

Do I really need to get my thai entry stamp and "expired extension to exemption of visa"stamp/s transferred to my new passport , from immigration,before I leave the cuntry?

I have been dealing with Chiang Mai Immigration, so would I have to return to ChiangMai immigration and Consulate before I can fly out?

It would be so much simpler/quicker/cheaper if I can take my old passport to Swampy to pay the overstay, and get an exit stamp on my new passport.

Like I said, there is absolutely no more room in my old passport for a single stamp(unless it's a small regular one)

Just emailed them and got a reply for an appointment. 14th August! Brilliant service! Not only is it taking ages for Brits to get their passports, it takes these muppets three weeks to even see you! Three weeks + 6 weeks minimum = 9 weeks minimum for a passport. In fact, they only count the application from when it's received at the office in the UK. So probably 10 weeks min from asking for an appointment. 11 weeks left on my visa. A worry I (and many others) could do without.

These morons should have 24 hour staffing atm and see people as and when they show up with the proper documents. Absolute disgrace. I can see me having to get a ETD and return to the UK. The passport will probably then arrive in BKK. Re-apply for a visa and return and hope that Imm are ok with it. All for what? Around 2k and a massive inconvenience.

Jesus, the UK gov manage to screw with your life when you're not even living there!

Heads must roll. This is not on.

Don't like to bring bad news, but based on actual current reported turn arounds, the minimum for application is much more like 8, rather than 6 weeks.

So with the trendy added 3 weeks, you are looking at a potential apply for appointment to collection period at 14 weeks - urghh.

I didn't click 'like' for the same reason you don't click 'like' on facebook for news on somebody dying. Thanks, is what I'm trying to say.

Yep. Major balls up. Hoping for the best and not gonna stress too much. What's the point? However, I'm pretty sure I'll be asking for updates from about 6 weeks on.

No chance of DHLing my passport and docs to a family member in the UK to get a 'same day do-dah'? I'm 99.99% sure you can't as we'd all be doing it, but is it possible?

Just emailed them and got a reply for an appointment. 14th August! Brilliant service! Not only is it taking ages for Brits to get their passports, it takes these muppets three weeks to even see you! Three weeks + 6 weeks minimum = 9 weeks minimum for a passport. In fact, they only count the application from when it's received at the office in the UK. So probably 10 weeks min from asking for an appointment. 11 weeks left on my visa. A worry I (and many others) could do without.

These morons should have 24 hour staffing atm and see people as and when they show up with the proper documents. Absolute disgrace. I can see me having to get a ETD and return to the UK. The passport will probably then arrive in BKK. Re-apply for a visa and return and hope that Imm are ok with it. All for what? Around 2k and a massive inconvenience.

Jesus, the UK gov manage to screw with your life when you're not even living there!

This is the problem I mentioned earlier. If you lose your passport going forward you have very little chance if your are not on one year extensions to get a replacement without overstaying.Now unless Thai immigration allow you to report your overstay and allow for some kind of emergency extension of stay you will have little choice other than to fly back to the UK.

I only managed to avoid overstay this renewal by timing my VFS appointment the day after my 90 day border hop.

Imagine a worst case scenario of being involved in some kind of incident whilst leaving the country where your passport is destroyed or stolen. Now you will end up on overstay going through this sorry saga again.baring in mind if you are apprehended whilst travelling to Bangkok for these stupid appointments its bye bye Thailand for 5 years.

• Like 1

Don't like to bring bad news, but based on actual current reported turn arounds, the minimum for application is much more like 8, rather than 6 weeks.

So with the trendy added 3 weeks, you are looking at a potential apply for appointment to collection period at 14 weeks - urghh.

I didn't click 'like' for the same reason you don't click 'like' on facebook for news on somebody dying. Thanks, is what I'm trying to say.

Yep. Major balls up. Hoping for the best and not gonna stress too much. What's the point? However, I'm pretty sure I'll be asking for updates from about 6 weeks on.

No chance of DHLing my passport and docs to a family member in the UK to get a 'same day do-dah'? I'm 99.99% sure you can't as we'd all be doing it, but is it possible?

You could do this, but the problem is you would have to send your actual passport to the UK, which is arguably against The Thai Law if it holds your current Entry Permission for Thailand.

Just an update from my side, I emailed Lorriane in Liverpool on Monday wondering If my passport was just sitting there at trendy. I got a reply within the hour and she sent a email to trendy requesting that they should contact me if the passport had arrived. Guess what..next day I get an email from trendy saying my passport is ready for collection.

So I went down on Wednesday got the passport and the dhl package says it was at dhl sorting office on the 14th and at trendy on the 16th. They did not email me until the 22nd, so 6 days sitting at trendy and could have been longer if Liverpool had not sent an email.

I was talking to one guy there doing a new application and he said the whole operation seems to be improving at trendy as now you talk to 2 British people in separate room and they do check everything and give you a contact email address...

• Like 1

Just an update from my side, I emailed Lorriane in Liverpool on Monday wondering If my passport was just sitting there at trendy. I got a reply within the hour and she sent a email to trendy requesting that they should contact me if the passport had arrived. Guess what..next day I get an email from trendy saying my passport is ready for collection.

So I went down on Wednesday got the passport and the dhl package says it was at dhl sorting office on the 14th and at trendy on the 16th. They did not email me until the 22nd, so 6 days sitting at trendy and could have been longer if Liverpool had not sent an email.

I was talking to one guy there doing a new application and he said the whole operation seems to be improving at trendy as now you talk to 2 British people in separate room and they do check everything and give you a contact email address...

But...aren't they taking jobs from Thais???

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It looked like the Thais are just doing the visa applications. I'm not sure who was employing the British people, but the guy told me they double checked his application.when I went 9 weeks ago the Thai lady did not check anything. Just asked if the documents that I want to send are there.

It looked like the Thais are just doing the visa applications. I'm not sure who was employing the British people, but the guy told me they double checked his application.when I went 9 weeks ago the Thai lady did not check anything. Just asked if the documents that I want to send are there.

It was meant as a joke, but on the serious side, maybe someone from our Embassy did an audit based on our "collective whingeing" and came to same conclusion and put matters in place to rectify the awful communication standards. ( but obviously contacting an applicant to collect their passport as a priority was "overlooked")

They may have recruited a few British post office workers to check your documents the same as they do in most post offices in the UK.

So why can't you just send your documents by secure post on the understanding that if your documents are not in order they will return them to you for the mistakes to be rectified.

The HMPO insisted when these pathetic changes first came out that no matter were you lived in Thailand or if you were old or disabled you had to make a possible 2000 k journey, just so your documents could be checked and sent to Liverpool.They tried to use every trick in the book to justify these rules and it's still as clear as mud if there are any other options.

My 15 year old sons passport is due August. 2015 and I will use every trick in my book not to send me or my son to Trendy to present his passport documents for a renewal.

• Like 1

What is required as proof of address for your passport?

I mean what documents, currently I have nothing, mere letter from the government of another EU nation addressed to me confirming my pension income.

Also, what is required for my 8 month old Krung Thai daughter as proof of address, all I have is the blue house book with her name in it.

will it be required to be translated to English by Minister of Foreign Affairs?

Thanks in advance.

It was meant as a joke, but on the serious side, maybe someone from our Embassy did an audit based on our "collective whingeing" and came to same conclusion and put matters in place to rectify the awful communication standards. ( but obviously contacting an applicant to collect their passport as a priority was "overlooked")

If the FCO (Embassy) were still in the loop I am sure it would be much better.

FCO's only current involvement at this stage is ETDs and 12 month temporary passport extensions (plus their 'secret fast-track' role for failing passport applications.

The problem is that the UK Government 'repatriated' overseas passport services from the Foreign Office (FCO) to the Home Office (HMPO) earlier this year..

The Muppets we are dealing with now are Home Office, hence the chaos.

Suspect trendy have been forced to employ foreigners to triage applications because of the number of mistakes being picked up by HMPO Liverpool.

Down side is that this is probably the main reason why the trendy application appointment time delays are now running out to 3-4 weeks.

My new passport was there as well for 6 days before they bothered to contact me (a slip stapled to the package even recorded the date they phoned me (they seem to try three time to contact as there are three lines on the slip for times/names/dates.

So it looks like trendy, as standard, sit on your new passport package from DHL for six days before they even try to contact you.

I mean what documents, currently I have nothing, mere letter from the government of another EU nation addressed to me confirming my pension income.

Also, what is required for my 8 month old Krung Thai daughter as proof of address, all I have is the blue house book with her name in it.

Thanks in advance.

The letter about your pension should be ok, if it's less than a year old. If it's not in English then it will need a certified translation attached.

For your daughter, a letter/report from the school with name/address should be fine, again with a translation attached if it is not in English.

Here is what HMPO told me:

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Edited by digitalchromakey

But...aren't they taking jobs from Thais???

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But at least it reduces (or, rather, should reduce) the likelihood of HMPO introducing a requirement at some future date for us to pass an suitably advanced proficiency test in the Thai language, to enable us to complete in our neatest Thai handwriting a special Thai version of their renewal application form which they devised exclusively for the benefit and convenience of locally-recruited staff!biggrin.png

I am in the process of renewing my son's passport. His former passport expired 20 years ago, so his appearance has changed considerably and as such we need a countersignatory. Unfortunately, we do not know anyone from a commonwealth country who can vouch for my son. All our friends are Thai's or non-commonwealth foreigners. Any suggestions?

I am in the process of renewing my son's passport. His former passport expired 20 years ago, so his appearance has changed considerably and as such we need a countersignatory. Unfortunately, we do not know anyone from a commonwealth country who can vouch for my son. All our friends are Thai's or non-commonwealth foreigners. Any suggestions?

I believe you can use a Thai person of good standing e.g school head or doctor.

Was your son's previous passport a red one? If not, you might not now be talking about a renewal but instead a first-time application requiring the provision of his birth certificate, etc - as detailed against category 2 of the supporting docs list at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/309169/OS_Guidance_Gp2.PDF

Was your son's previous passport a red one? If not, you might not now be talking about a renewal but instead a first-time application requiring the provision of his birth certificate, etc - as detailed against category 2 of the supporting docs list at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/309169/OS_Guidance_Gp2.PDF

It was a red one, the same as mine. It was issued when he was about 18 months old and has been used once. He is now 25 and wishes to renew it.

Thanks in advance.

Not difficult, you can use the following items ... Monthly bank statement, monthly electricity bill, monthly phone bill, etc ... .

If working in Thailand then the "employer" can confirm your address in a signed letter.

I guess for some of the " expats " who live in Thailand it would be considered " most inconvenient " to have to take a trip to Bangkok. ( especially for the ones that don't go anywhere or just "sit indoors all day watching TV and gaze at facebook ") Why not turn it in into " a fantastic adventure" ..? sunshine,exploring the great city and if you take the train you will probably get change from 200 baht!

Enjoy your wonderful adventure!

farang jaidee " joop joop " wub.png

I guess for some of the " expats " who live in Thailand it would be considered " most inconvenient " to have to take a trip to Bangkok. ( especially for the ones that don't go anywhere or just "sit indoors all day watching TV and gaze at facebook ") Why not turn it in into " a fantastic adventure" ..? sunshine,exploring the great city and if you take the train you will probably get change from 200 baht!

Enjoy your wonderful adventure!

farang jaidee " joop joop " wub.png

I look for the slightest excuse to go to Bkk. Last time i was updating my Kazakhstan visa. Their embassey is right next door to the Conrad so stayed there for a night. It took me all of 2 minutes to hand in my passport to get the new visa.....

• Like 1

Thanks in advance.

Not difficult, you can use the following items ... Monthly bank statement, monthly electricity bill, monthly phone bill, etc ... .

If working in Thailand then the "employer" can confirm your address in a signed letter.

Thai banks don't issue monthly bank statements - or usually any statements at all.

Most foreigners can't have electricity bills or 'phone bills in their name since they don't have tabian baan. And mobile 'phone bills aren't acceptable.

And many aren't working (at least legally).

Not "not difficult" for many.

• Like 2

I believe you can use a Thai person of good standing e.g school head or doctor.

• hold a British, Irish or other EU, US, or
Commonwealth passport (in that order of
preference) which has not run out. We will be able
to process applications more quickly where the
countersignatory has a British or Irish passport

You may well have to send the photos to the UK for signature, or it may come to this.

• if you cannot comply with the countersignatory
requirements your application may be delayed.
You must provide a full explanation in Section 8
and we will contact you, using the details on your
application form, to agree a way forward.
Full details are here

Thanks in advance.

Thai banks don't issue monthly bank statements - or usually any statements at all.

Most foreigners can't have electricity bills or 'phone bills in their name since they don't have tabian baan. And mobile 'phone bills aren't acceptable.

And many aren't working (at least legally).

Not "not difficult" for many.

You could try asking your bank for a letter of confirmation, they might help .. The whole joke is you would probably write it yourself and give it to them to process.

I used an employment contract, which could be some general document that I downloaded, designed a little logo, put my address on it and got the missus to scribble on.

I'm no expert, i just applied for my passport myself and this supporting document seems bureaucracy gone wild, they will have no 100% sure way of authenticating any document you provide. Its ridiculous.

Some might advise you to use a translated certificate of residency from immigration or a (translated) copy of your rental agreement ? You can get it done on the ground floor at trendy, and by rubber stamping it, im guessing distinguishes it as coming from a recognized translation agency.

You may well have to send the photos to the UK for signature, or it may come to this.

Full details are here

And who in the UK would be able to sign? My son lives in Thailand with me and we do not know anyone in the UK, apart from family (who cannot be countersignatories - but in any case have not seen my son in more than 20 years and would not know him from Adam). We were last back in the UK 24 years ago and have not been back since.

We know a few continental Europeans so perhaps they may be able to help. Alternatively, we will fill in section 8.

Anyway, thanks for the pointers.

Full details are here

And when 'you cannot comply with the countersignatory requirements' and you need 'to agree a way forward', they may accept a Thai person of good standing. 'your application may be delayed' because they will need to confirm the credentials of the Thai person. They use to accept a Thai person, and i see no reason why that has changed. It sounds like GarryP does not have another option.