Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Thanks Digitall but ive got to Laugh. A School Report.?.Brits don't have ID Cards your old passport is one.Hes heard nothing fro his Pension Dept for 2 Years and been retired for 20 or more. So what the hell does he do. You Brits stand Coal Cracking on your heads sometimes.What if he lived in a hotel.?. Ive not worked so hard in ages. Be nice if someone Hi Up in the U.K. read this Forum.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thats good.

I do not have room in my passport for another entry stamp,now since immigration used the whole last page for an extension on medical grounds.

I am hoping I will need a couple more of these extensions.(though I dont know where they can put them)

I was going to fly out and get a new tourist visa but it is not possible

Ok, you are on an Extension of Permission to Stay based on Medical Grounds - when does that extension expire?

I had 30 days extension, I emailed trendy straightaway for the earliest appointment, and trendy gave me an appointment for 13 days later

Ok, you have a problem.

Your passport will be invalid for travel once your renewal application is filed and you would require another page in your passport for any additional extension.

It will take maybe 8/9 weeks for your replacement passport to arrive from the date of your appointment.

Your only legal options that I can see at this point are:

i) Apply at the British Embassy for an Emergency UK Passport (Officially it is called an Emergency Travel Document and costs 95 GBP in local currency), if you are lucky you could, with some lengthy explanation, maybe get another extension stamp in that, else go to the border for 1x in/out. It may not be possible to get a visa issued however with such a temporary passport and 1x in/out may not give you enough time for the new passport to arrive.

ii) Return to the UK and apply there.

iii) Go onto over stay at 500 THB per day with all the risks of staying in Thailand illegally.

Edited by digitalchromakey

UPDATE...

My application went in on the 26th, my credit card was debited on the 29th

So far I have been impressed with the service....apologies if that offends anyone on here.

4 working days from application is the current norm for card debit.

Yes, but this was 3 days.

You can't travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

How would they know?

Proof of residency? I assume that is all out the window as if you go to the embassy it's pretty clear where you are living.

The passport contains an electronic chip, enabling electronic cancellation. This fact would be made known to most immigration offices at airports and land borders. However there is one border crossing into Cambodia where they do not scan passports on either side....................................if you fancy getting away whilst waiting an eternity for a new passport.!

its easy to dsiable to chip, a strong smash of a hammer ,place in mo=irowave, or plce next to strong magnet.They will just assume its another malfuntion. All these new measures are pure windown dressing.The fingerprintscan- useless.The 'blacklist' a joke.

• Like 1

its easy to dsiable to chip, a strong smash of a hammer ,place in mo=irowave, or plce next to strong magnet.They will just assume its another malfuntion. All these new measures are pure windown dressing.The fingerprintscan- useless.The 'blacklist' a joke.

No, you assume.

The Passport arrived as promised, via DHL today.

It arrived at lunch time, folowing a call to confirm my place of work address, earlier in the morning.

I am sorry guys, but I really have no flaming idea how DHL came into the equation or how they came to deliver to my woark place address and not to VFS??? and yes as a consequence my passort has not snipped at the corners to indicate it is cancelled , maybe i can use that slip up for some purpose and use my last page, before using my new passport.

It did state on one form included in parcel that there was a query about non confirmed address???

I have not , as yet received any phone call or e-mail from VFS or passport office reagrding this imminent delivery or need to collect from VFS. so why all the fuss about providing the e-mail address??? again another complete waste of time. I did change my phone and number during this process, which I informed the passport office about when querying my payment processing , at the time way back , and it was the new number that DHL contacted me on, but some where on the included paperwork when it arrived , I noticed my old number , so maybe someone went out of their way to trace my new number, if they did they deserve a bloody medal, for going beyond the call of duty.

I have been trying all evening to include a pic of the parcel and contents, but cannot find the attachemnt tag on this page, it seems to be missing ??

One thing that is really bugging me is that i now have a 48 page passport where 6 of the pages are used up by my picture page and a load of other official tripe, one new page is an officialls only comments page next to the picture page , so basically I have a 42 useable pages passport , not 48 pages, another bloody con in my view, but if i ahd gone for the smaller passport I would still have lost those pages , so my gain is still better than the 32 page passport proportionally.

Anyway, my saga seems to be ended for now, the next hurdle is finding out if i can get an e-mailed copy of the letter required from the embassy to request a transfer of visa from old passport to the new passport. Suely this should be possible, unless a lack of willingness or common sense will prevail on their rsponse to a simple request.

Hopefully, I will be able to post a pic of the parcel and accompanying bumf once i can get a decent internet connection.

Anyway thanks for all the likes and shared sympathies and encouragement etc over the last 7 + weeks ,and wish you all good luck. I really should have got the phone number of the old guy I met in VFS , fram Pattaya and be able to check out how he is getting on with his application, in case he needs further help, hope it all works out for him.

It has been a journey , but i have also met some decent folk along the way on here .

What a shame we cannot meet some others on a more face to face basis sometimes on these forums, where we all come together to help each otherin real times of crisis like what is happening for many at the moment, rather than bickering with each other on TVN.

Wish you all Luck , and i shall keep you potsed reagrding the need for transfer request letter from embassy idiots , and immigration department responses to the need for this letter. Has anyone any feed back on this regarding Chonburi Immigration Dept ???

Did you seriously expect 48 blank pages? Do you think a 32 page passport has 32 blank pages? Was your old passport al blank pages? It's unbelievable the things people here are complaining about on here.

I thought you was going to break out into a rendition of 'I did it my way' I think you deserve a holiday after this ordeal that you have been through.

It arrived at lunch time, folowing a call to confirm my place of work address, earlier in the morning.

I am sorry guys, but I really have no flaming idea how DHL came into the equation or how they came to deliver to my work place address and not to VFS??? and yes as a consequence my passort has not been snipped at the corners to indicate it is cancelled , maybe i can use that slip up for some purpose and use my last page, before using my new passport.

It did state on one form included in parcel that there was a query about non confirmed address???

I have not , as yet received any phone call or e-mail from VFS or passport office reagrding this imminent delivery or need to collect from VFS. so why all the fuss about providing the e-mail address??? again another complete waste of time. I did change my phone and number during this process, which I informed the passport office about when querying my payment processing , at the time way back , and it was the new number that DHL contacted me on, but some where on the included paperwork when it arrived , I noticed my old number , so maybe someone went out of their way to trace my new number, if they did they deserve a bloody medal, for going beyond the call of duty.

I have been trying all evening to include a pic of the parcel and contents, but cannot find the attachemnt tag on this page, it seems to be missing ??

One thing that is really bugging me is that i now have a 48 page passport where 6 of the pages are used up by my picture page and a load of other official tripe, one new page is an officialls only comments page next to the picture page , so basically I have a 42 useable pages passport , not 48 pages, another bloody con in my view, but if i ahd gone for the smaller passport I would still have lost those pages , so my gain is still better than the 32 page passport proportionally.

Anyway, my saga seems to be ended for now, the next hurdle is finding out if i can get an e-mailed copy of the letter required from the embassy to request a transfer of visa from old passport to the new passport. Suely this should be possible, unless a lack of willingness or common sense will prevail on their rsponse to a simple request.

Hopefully, I will be able to post a pic of the parcel and accompanying bumf once i can get a decent internet connection.

Anyway thanks for all the likes and shared sympathies and encouragement etc over the last 7 + weeks ,and wish you all good luck. I really should have got the phone number of the old guy I met in VFS , fram Pattaya and be able to check out how he is getting on with his application, in case he needs further help, hope it all works out for him.

It has been a journey , but i have also met some decent folk along the way on here .

What a shame we cannot meet some others on a more face to face basis sometimes on these forums, where we all come together to help each otherin real times of crisis like what is happening for many at the moment, rather than bickering with each other on TVN.

Wish you all Luck , and i shall keep you potsed reagrding the need for transfer request letter from embassy idiots , and immigration department responses to the need for this letter. Has anyone any feed back on this regarding Chonburi Immigration Dept ???

Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am sorry guys, but I really have no flaming idea how DHL came into the equation or how they came to deliver to my woark place address and not to VFS??? and yes as a consequence my passort has not snipped at the corners to indicate it is cancelled , maybe i can use that slip up for some purpose and use my last page, before using my new passport.

Did you seriously expect 48 blank pages? Do you think a 32 page passport has 32 blank pages? Was your old passport al blank pages? It's unbelievable the things people here are complaining about on here.

I thought you was going to break out into a rendition of 'I did it my way' I think you deserve a holiday after this ordeal that you have been through.

5555 i am told i will get a 48 page passport that is what i expect, 48 useable pages , not 42. I never did check how many pages including unusable pages were in a 32 page passport. Actually , my new passoprt now says validity from 25 May 14 to 25 Feb 25 , so that is an extra 8 months added for an ld passport witch would have run out in October 2018, or is that 4 months extra, i will prevail to believe it is the 8 months, Whatever. That makes me happier. Yes i need a holiday after this , just wish it could be done on the one page in my old passport that the WendyHouse have not clipped for me.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can't travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

How would they know?

Proof of residency? I assume that is all out the window as if you go to the embassy it's pretty clear where you are living.

The passport contains an electronic chip, enabling electronic cancellation. This fact would be made known to most immigration offices at airports and land borders. However there is one border crossing into Cambodia where they do not scan passports on either side....................................if you fancy getting away whilst waiting an eternity for a new passport.!

Actually the new passport i received today has a small yellow peel of sticker on the last page with instruction to peel off please, when you do tere is a small wired chip on the underside of the sticker, I wonder what would happen if you did not peel it off?? Does it mean that the main chip inside the passport will not activate until this small yellow is peeled off ??????????? oh well i have done it now, but then i have nothing to hide , so no real worries on that score for me .

As If. A Welshman breaking into song and rejoice when some thing good happens, like when we beat the English in Rugby, (not this year at least), but a merry recital may be in order after this debarcle hahaha. Why why why HMPO......... i sent my things to your recommended place, so why did you keep me waiting so long for return by fast DHL , etc etc

Sorry guys , had to done , good luck ya all

Edited by daiwill60

Got his Phone Bill and True Move Satt Acc changed to His Name so now its just that letter above unless there something else iv missed. Pray tell, im going round the bend

You only need one item for evidence of address, an official translation of the household bill, as per my earlier post, will suffice.

Forget about the pension letter, it's not necessary for evidence of name and address.

• Like 1

Sounds like once you're past it or housebound the best thing to do is just to go on overstay and hope the authorities don't come knocking!

There is no dubt that this system works and for the flaming troll who thinks it's wonderful, then good for you. But without doubt, it is costly, inefficient and inflexible as it stands. It has and ( unless things improve) it will continue to catch out some people here in Thailand whether it's their own fault or not. By the way my bank doesn't seem any better. My debit card expired at the end of February. Three expensive phone calls later and they have sent me another replacement today (3rd card). They won't post by registered mail! I receive all my other mail from the bank, no problem. So, all I can think of is some tea leaf in the Thai postal system knows a bank card is inside the envelope and chances their arm! Grrrr!!!

Edited by watso63
  • Like 2

Thanks Digital, it s been a learning curve if nothing else. Poor Old Buggers blessed with a Brit Son that couldn't work a Pedall Bin, and my English I rather poor , especially with gobbledygook Gov Forms. Wife recons the Questions are as irrelevant in his case2P/Ports renewed here.. Only are that awkward she says.He likes reading the printouts a give him,makes him smile.

I asked my Thai bank for a statement showing my address in English and they said that they could not do it.

So I guess it'll have to be a letter from the hospital

I wont be eligible for a Residence Permit on a Visa Exemption will I?

Or can I get a letter in english from the Drivers Licence Office with my address?

Edited by rikki

I asked my Thai bank for a statement showing my address in English and they said that they could not do it.

So I guess it'll have to be a letter from the hospital

I wont be eligible for a Residence Permit on a Visa Exemption will I?

Or can I get a letter in english from the Drivers Licence Office with my address?

If you can get the bank statement in Thai you could have it translated. Costs 400 or 500 baht to get it done.