Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We left the UK, we longer contribute to that country by way of taxes etc. Of course they are going to see us as being further down the pecking order. Get over it.

Who are "We"? You're only speaking for yourself, Pat. wai2.gif

We left the UK, we longer contribute to that country by way of taxes etc. Of course they are going to see us as being further down the pecking order. Get over it.

What utter nonsense. I continue to have tax deducted from my UK investment income as do many UK expats. And HMRC will be quite happy to take inheritance tax from our estates when we die, even if we haven't lived in the UK for decades.

What about poor people in the UK? Some of them don't pay taxes. Some of them by claiming benefits are a drain upon society. By your logic, they should be treated worse than expats, which is clearly not the case.

The truth is that we can no longer vote. That is why they don't care how shoddily we're treated or how heartlessly we're acted towards by civil servants.

If you read what I said, I haven't said that I approve of how this is handled, I'm merely putting a realistic spin on it by stating that the reality is the people that have buggered off are NOT going to be dealt with as a priority. So maybe it is just better to acept that instead of being bitter about it. I've been told I have to wait 6 weeks plus, that's fine with me, if I needed it urgently I would have flown back to my homeland and got a new UK passport in the UK, instead of complaing about it all 6000 miles away. Just saying..

special provisions and services for people with disabilities - my a**

See post 1183.

It was pointed out to the officer I contacted in Newport that the reason my girl isn't living with me is due to her disability, but no special provision was offered and no suggestion made (other than travel to Thailand to apply in person, then travel back there again for collection).

So I would take what ever they say on the web site with a pinch of salt.

Newport also told me that there was NO provision for anyone,old,young, disabled, housebound,but to travel to Bangkok for the ten minutes it takes to present your documents,

Also a Mr Stanford from HMPO Newport told jip99 ? that the laws of Thailand say you must carry your passport. With you at all times,but now trendy wendy say you can nominate any tom dick or harry to collect your new passport if you send them your old passport.

So whose right and whose wrong.All i know is that a British citizen in Thailand is treated completely different than a British citizen in the UK.

You can imagine the outcry in the UK if they told anyone never mind elderly or disabled that they had to travel from lands end to john O'groats to spend ten minutes giving their documents.

I'm sure the likes of age concern etc would have a thing or two to say

The whinging on this thread is incredible even by this forums standards.

It seems that the word whinging is accepted on this thread.

If that is the case i will go on whinging until these stupid rules are changed..

It just shows you,that the great majority of posters on this thread have the common sense to know that

My whinge with regard to making a British citizen travel,no matter what state is health is in over 2,000 kilometres to present their documents and then make the same journey when their new passport arrives

Is a valid whinge.

For those one or two posters who remind me of Victor Meldrew who would rather see their fellow British citizens have two feet in the grave rather than one foot in the grave and would show no compassion for the hardship that those less fortunate will have to endure to renew a passport and have the cheek to call them whingers.

Thank god i am not disabled,and my passport is valid for another five years, and with a little bit of luck when the time comes to renew my passport if these stupid rules are still in place i can travel to Bangkok to see

Miss. Trendy wendy.

And for those who think i am whinging,well you had better get used to it because as long as these stupid rules are in place i will have my whinge,well after these people who think its whinging.Have their passport and gone back to the football forums

• Like 2

So maybe it is just better to acept that instead of being bitter about it. I've been told I have to wait 6 weeks plus, that's fine with me, if I needed it urgently I would have flown back to my homeland and got a new UK passport in the UK, instead of complaing about it all 6000 miles away. Just saying..

Of course, as soon as you get your new passport it's then just a matter of visiting Thai immigration and transferring your stamps into your new passport. Where would you propose doing that in the UK? Just saying ...

An update on my application, I submitted it to Trendy House on the 9th April, I had a phone call from Trendy on the 30th, saying my passport was ready for collection, I will be going on Tuesday to collect overall its taken just over 7 weeks.

JOHN

Thanks a lot for this.

I'm past the 4 week waiting period and now in visa limbo because my passport has expired. It's good to know a rough idea of when it will be resolved. Did you need to book an appointment to collect?

No appointment necessary to collect.

Once Trendy tell you that your new passport is available for collection, you just turn up at your convenience to collect Mon - Fri 08:30 - > 16:00 (better you arrive before 15:00 to be safe).

By written agreement/authorisation you can send a proxy to collect, but either way they want to cancel your old passport, so that needs to go as well.

Thats what I was also told on friday, when they phoned me, collect anytime between 8.30 to 16.00, i an going on Tuesday.

JOHN

So maybe it is just better to acept that instead of being bitter about it. I've been told I have to wait 6 weeks plus, that's fine with me, if I needed it urgently I would have flown back to my homeland and got a new UK passport in the UK, instead of complaing about it all 6000 miles away. Just saying..

Of course, as soon as you get your new passport it's then just a matter of visiting Thai immigration and transferring your stamps into your new passport. Where would you propose doing that in the UK? Just saying ...

You tell me, what would one do in this instance?

Are you actually blaming the UK for this? You seriously expect them to have a facility where they transfer your Thai visa over for you?

Edited by Pattaya Pat

Anyone else get an email about a 10.16GBP REFUND? Applied for a jumbo.......

-Filled in the form, as told, for 114.01GBP

-Payment declined as card not activated

-Email from them requested 110.86GBP (I queried this but was told Thailand had it wrong)

-Over the phone virtual card debited 110.86GBP -Thought the payment was sorted

With this refund (which I have to get with a phone call to Southport as they don't now have the card details) I make it that the application sent to Liverpool is free but a DHL courier fee of 9.70GBP to return it. Total 91GBP+9.70GBP=100.70GBP

My process started on 25th March. Thailand and UK both got the price wrong. My emails were responded too outside the customer target of 20 working days.

Oh, and my visa is up on the 21st June and my less than 3yr old passport is full. Crap service.

It is the GOV.OK website that has it wrong and it looks like it is to do with the courier fee, the 91.00GBP seems consistent.

Cost

You’ll have to pay a fee for your passport and a courier fee of £23.01. The courier fee pays for your passport to be sent securely to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied for you to collect.

Passport type Passport fee Total to pay (including courier fee) Adult standard 32-page passport £83.00 £106.01 Adult jumbo 48-page passport £91.00 £114.01

Fill in a ‘Paying by credit card or debit card’ form for each passport you’re applying for and submit it with your application. Your credit or debit card will be charged in sterling.

You can use Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB.

Are you actually blaming the UK for this? You seriously expect them to have a facility where they transfer your Thai visaover for you? Hahahahahahahaha.

I'm not blaming anyone - you said what you would do - fly to the UK to get a new passport. I'm just enquiring how you would ensure that your permission to stay remained valid - it would be good info to share with other BMs. What I did is well documented in this thread.

Edited by rajyindee

Are you actually blaming the UK for this? You seriously expect them to have a facility where they transfer your Thai visaover for you? Hahahahahahahaha.

I'm not blaming anyone - you said what you would do - fly to the UK to get a new passport. I'm just enquiring how you would ensure that your permission to stay remained valid - it would be good info to share with other BMs. What I did is well documented in this thread.

If you have a valid visa or a re-entry permit in your old passport you show both passports on entry and they will stamp you into the country.in the new passport.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Anyone else get an email about a 10.16GBP REFUND? Applied for a jumbo.......

-Filled in the form, as told, for 114.01GBP

-Payment declined as card not activated

-Email from them requested 110.86GBP (I queried this but was told Thailand had it wrong)

-Over the phone virtual card debited 110.86GBP -Thought the payment was sorted

With this refund (which I have to get with a phone call to Southport as they don't now have the card details) I make it that the application sent to Liverpool is free but a DHL courier fee of 9.70GBP to return it. Total 91GBP+9.70GBP=100.70GBP

My process started on 25th March. Thailand and UK both got the price wrong. My emails were responded too outside the customer target of 20 working days.

Oh, and my visa is up on the 21st June and my less than 3yr old passport is full. Crap service.

It is the GOV.OK website that has it wrong and it looks like it is to do with the courier fee, the 91.00GBP seems consistent.

Cost

You’ll have to pay a fee for your passport and a courier fee of £23.01. The courier fee pays for your passport to be sent securely to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied for you to collect.

Passport type Passport fee Total to pay (including courier fee) Adult standard 32-page passport £83.00 £106.01 Adult jumbo 48-page passport £91.00 £114.01

Fill in a ‘Paying by credit card or debit card’ form for each passport you’re applying for and submit it with your application. Your credit or debit card will be charged in sterling.

You can use Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB.

What have other people been charged for a jumbo? Is it just an isolated case with me? Jumbo= 100.70GBP. Cheaper than the old price of over 150GBP.

If you have a valid visa or a re-entry permit in your old passport you show both passports on entry and they will stamp you into the country.in the new passport.

I know that, however, it isn't an option if you are replacing your passport because it's full.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What have other people been charged for a jumbo? Is it just an isolated case with me? Jumbo= 100.70GBP. Cheaper than the old price of over 150GBP.

Jumbo is 91.00 quid plus whatever courier fee they apply.

Thanks for that. I'll reword my question then. What are other people being charged in courier fees?

I am still not clear regarding the Visa Card. The Gent has started to use it all the time,he finds it a novelty and works perfectly. So is he going to get it rejected at Trendy, YES or No......?. I think id better remain outside the building if it doesn't, I might EXPLODE after all the hoops hes had to jump through at his age.

Your friend has a BKK Bank Visa Debit Card - yes?

This almost certainly will not work for a fee payment to be debited in the UK as a mail order transaction.

Trendy will just take the form off him which he has to fill out with his card details and say thank you, they do not check the validity of the payment.

The first time your friend will know about the problem is when HMPO Liverpool contact him to let him know that the payment has not been successful.

Absolutely correct.

So what Card must he get Then.?.

I am still not clear regarding the Visa Card. The Gent has started to use it all the time,he finds it a novelty and works perfectly. So is he going to get it rejected at Trendy, YES or No......?. I think id better remain outside the building if it doesn't, I might EXPLODE after all the hoops hes had to jump through at his age.

Your friend has a BKK Bank Visa Debit Card - yes?

This almost certainly will not work for a fee payment to be debited in the UK as a mail order transaction.

Trendy will just take the form off him which he has to fill out with his card details and say thank you, they do not check the validity of the payment.

The first time your friend will know about the problem is when HMPO Liverpool contact him to let him know that the payment has not been successful.

Absolutely correct.

So what Card must he get Then.?.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/KWebShopping.aspx

Thanks for that. I'll reword my question then. What are other people being charged in courier fees?

I was charged 19.86 in courier fees (110.86 total). That figure is broken down as follows:

Return of passport - 9.70

Return of supporting documents - 10.16

• Like 1

I was charged 19.86 in courier fees (110.86 total). That figure is broken down as follows:

Thank you for that. As no original supporting documents need to be returned to me, that fits. You have put the last jigsaw piece in the puzzzle.

The renewal of a British passport for expats in >Northern< Thailand forces them to travel twice to Bangkok in order to get this sorted.

The travel from North Thailand to Bangkok in order to get the passport renewed is a long journey and expensive, some expats are old now, and the long travel is not easy for them, and due the the frozen state pension they can not really afford the two time travel costing.

If the Northern expats complain about this then perhaps matters will be taken back to sending the passport application via postage as was the case for many years. in the past.

• Like 1

The renewal of a British passport for expats in >Northern< Thailand forces them to travel twice to Bangkok in order to get this sorted.

The travel from North Thailand to Bangkok in order to get the passport renewed is a long journey and expensive, some expats are old now, and the long travel is not easy for them, and due the the frozen state pension they can not really afford the two time travel costing.

If the Northern expats complain about this then perhaps matters will be taken back to sending the passport application via postage as was the case for many years. in the past.

..... and for those of us living in the South of Thailand, the long journey to renew a British Passport is ok?

HMPO will not allow you to apply by post or on line, as they want Trendy to see your actual passport to prevent ID Theft.

This is not me writing, this is what HMPO wrote on the 17th April, when I made this very point.

We note that you are unhappy at having to attend the Visa Application Centre in Bangkok to submit your application in person and then return to collect the new passport.

We are sure you are aware that there is a legal requirement for all UK citizens in Thailand to retain their passport on their person at all times. In order to consider an application to renew a UK passport Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HM Passport Office) require sight of the original passport and any other supporting documents that may be required.

In light of the challenges presented by local Thai law to achieve this applicants for a UK Passport in Thailand are required to travel in person to the office of a HM Passport Office representative, in the case of Thailand our representative is the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok, for them to view the original document(s) and verify photocopies as being true replicas as the originals. This allows the customer to continue to meet the legal requirement of keeping their passport with them at all times whilst their application is being processed.

In order to guarantee public protection and so that the passport once replaced cannot be reused for illegal purposes should it be intercepted by a third party it is important that the replaced passport is physically cancelled. To ensure this takes place, the new passport is returned to the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok where the customer must present their “old” passport for it to be physically cancelled at which time they will then be presented with their new passport.

Unfortunately, you will have to get used to this, HMPO don't give a flying f....k about our 2x 2,000 km plus journeys.

However, please feel free to complain, I have, several times already.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 2

My Visa Credit Card was debited 114.01 GBP on the 28th May for a Jumbo Renewal application that was filed at Trendy on the 22nd May.

Thus courier fee charged was 23.01 GBP

Looks like HMPO is starting to get their all Hymn Sheets printed the same now.

Edited by digitalchromakey

My Visa Credit Card was debited 144.01 GBP on the 28th May for a Jumbo Renewal application that was filed at Trendy on the 22nd May.

I think you could mean 114.01GBP......

My Visa Credit Card was debited 144.01 GBP on the 28th May for a Jumbo Renewal application that was filed at Trendy on the 22nd May.

Presumably you mean 114.01 GBP.

I think you could mean 114.01GBP......

Thanks - typo which was still editable smile.png

..... and for those of us living in the South of Thailand, the long journey to renew a British Passport is ok?

HMPO will not allow you to apply by post or on line, as they want Trendy to see your actual passport to prevent ID Theft.

This is not me writing, this is what HMPO wrote on the 17th April, when I made this very point.

We note that you are unhappy at having to attend the Visa Application Centre in Bangkok to submit your application in person and then return to collect the new passport.

We are sure you are aware that there is a legal requirement for all UK citizens in Thailand to retain their passport on their person at all times. In order to consider an application to renew a UK passport Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HM Passport Office) require sight of the original passport and any other supporting documents that may be required.

In light of the challenges presented by local Thai law to achieve this applicants for a UK Passport in Thailand are required to travel in person to the office of a HM Passport Office representative, in the case of Thailand our representative is the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok, for them to view the original document(s) and verify photocopies as being true replicas as the originals. This allows the customer to continue to meet the legal requirement of keeping their passport with them at all times whilst their application is being processed.

In order to guarantee public protection and so that the passport once replaced cannot be reused for illegal purposes should it be intercepted by a third party it is important that the replaced passport is physically cancelled. To ensure this takes place, the new passport is returned to the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok where the customer must present their “old” passport for it to be physically cancelled at which time they will then be presented with their new passport.

Unfortunately, you will have to get used to this, HMPO don't give a flying f....k about our 2x 2,000 km plus journeys.

However, please feel free to complain, I have, several times already.

Those complaints should be made by expats that live up in the North, or down in the South of Thailand, but those complaints made to HMPO will not be successful.

Therefore the complaints should be sent to 10 Downing Street not to HMPO in order to have a chance to get those messy application matter sorted.

Bear in mind British expats living in other S.E Asia countries close to Thailand are still able to make their British passport application via postage, as was also done before in Thailand.

• Like 1

I put 114.01 GBP on the payment form but my credit card was charged 110.86 GBP.

I have no supporting documents to return, there was only the passport copy and proof of address.

• Like 1

I'm just about to enter this cluster &lt;deleted&gt; of a procedure to apply for my sons second passport and I have a question.

How are you getting the counter signature? If I understand correctly, I need to find a professional with a British or EU passport that has known me for 2 years. No problem if I was in the UK, but someone currently in Thailand, er.....nope.

I put 114.01 GBP on the payment form but my credit card was charged 110.86 GBP.

I have no supporting documents to return, there was only the passport copy and proof of address.

I assume the "supporting documents" would be couriered to your home address - hence the separate cost. I assume (again) that's the reason why they need proof of your address. Unfortunately, the only supporting document they appear to have taken is the aforementioned proof of address. If nothing is returned to my home address, I'll be claiming a refund of the 10.16.

I'm just about to enter this cluster <deleted> of a procedure to apply for my sons second passport and I have a question.

How are you getting the counter signature? If I understand correctly, I need to find a professional with a British or EU passport that has known me for 2 years. No problem if I was in the UK, but someone currently in Thailand, er.....nope.

The counter signature can be British, Irish, other EU, US or Commonwealth. That's a pretty large choice.