Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

As an aside, the breaking story in the UK is the scandal over student visas. All the fuss over our overseas applicants having to provide enhanced security information such as providing an address. What a complete joke. Surely Theresa May has got to do the honarable thing now. Never liked the smarmy cow since her "nasty party" comments way back when, all the lame fuss over her choice of leopard skin patterned stillettos, "power dressing", grey streaks and her misguided belief that she is a "sexy woman". As Mr Creosote once said "pass me a bucket, I want to be sick"!

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm, not sure what to do about pictures now. How can a background be 5-10% grey or cream anyway?

HMPO Guidance on Passport Photos, relevant section highlighted in red:

Photo size

Your photos must be professionally printed and 45 millimetres (mm) high by 35mm wide - the standard size used in photo booths in the UK. Standard sizes in photo booths outside the UK can be different - make sure you get the right size.

You can’t use photos that have been cut down from larger pictures.

The photos

Your photos must be:

• in colour on plain white photographic paper
  • taken against a plain cream or light grey background
  • identical
  • taken within the last month
  • clear and in focus
  • without any tears or creases
  • unmarked on both sides (unless a photo needs to be countersigned)
  • unaltered by computer software

The image of you

Your photos must show a close-up of your full head and shoulders. It must be only of you with no other objects or people.

The image of you - from the crown of your head to your chin - must be between 29mm and 34mm high (see example below).

Your photos may be rejected unless they show you:

• facing forward and looking straight at the camera
  • with a neutral expression and your mouth closed
  • without anything covering the face
  • in clear contrast to the background
  • without a head covering (unless it’s worn for religious or medical reasons)
  • with eyes open, visible and free from reflection or glare from glasses
  • with your eyes not covered by sunglasses, tinted glasses, glasses frames or hair
  • without any ‘red eye’
  • without any shadows in the picture

as my passport was valid till november 2020 i can no undersdtand why i was not allowed to leave thailand, to go to laos, even with 2 pages in my passport, that is enough for the laos visa and then my non b visa. Also i have received to e-mails 3 weeks apart asking me for more information, d-o-b full name where i live etc, In total it has cost me over 1600 baht in phone calls to the UK and they wvwn had the cheek at the Bangor call center in N Ireland to tell me to call back in 5 minutes as our systems are down.I have now been told that i am still being security checked, WHY they have coies off all my pages in my old passport my proff off address, and my phots countersigned by a uk pasport holder. This is a total cock up, and the excuses get better every day. it has now been 4 weeks since my original application and not even a hint of where abouts it is in the process chain.

Thanks for your clarification - most worrying..

In your earlier post you wrote that your passport expired on the 15/11/2010. I had read this as being assumedly 15/11/2014.

However if, as you posted above, that your passport actually expires on the 15/11/2020, then this highlights a new worrying fact.

It appears that as soon as you apply to renew your British Passport that it is cancelled by HMPO and that this is evident on a database that is easily accessible by Thai Immigration.

HMPO UK Helpline (aka the lying dogs) had previously informed me that the current passports were only in fact cancelled once the new passports were formally issued (i.e. actually sent to the printers).

So those of us who are caught up in this nightmare train wreck of a fiasco, with our passport renewals currently 'in application' need to be aware that we cannot even leave Thailand wit the passports we hold from the point immediately after the application has been registered by HMPO and that our only method of escape from the burning aircraft we find ourselves in is to:

1) Buy an ETD for 95 GBP and do a border run hoping to get a Visa Exempt Entry - Extensions of Stay/Work Permit Renewals are presumably not possible in this class of 'Emergency Passport'.

2) If our passports have at least three pages free (are not 'full'), then cancel the renewal application (this procedure is apparently lengthy, not clear and involves writing a letter to Trendy [who, remember, cannot read anything beyond basic English]). Then once the cancellation is confirmed go to the British Embassy to get the Free 12 month UK Passport extension, which will hopefully allow for a new Thai Extension of Permission to Stay, or as an alternative, travel to Hong Kong, Philippines, Cambodia to try and get a Visa.

3) Pray on a hourly basis to what ever higher powers there may be (other than the British Government who obviously don't give a flying f..k about our situation) that the application delays somehow 'miraculously' reduce in the near future.

4) Hide out here on overstay until the HMPO (aka The Bold Knight in Shining Armour) having issued passports to every citizen who remains living in the UK and wants one can then be bothered to get around to taking our papers out of the orange boxes to actual make our new passports then courier them to BKK for us to risk arrest and deportation as illegal immigrants to go there to pick up said item.

Thanks UK Government and HMPO - you have thrown us to the dogs you b......ds.

• Like 1

They said white was fine and the poster with examples of right and wrong photos had one with a white background and marked as a good example.

Only took me 5 mins to hand in, guy before me was in the office for like 45 mins though.

The office is where they do all the UK visas also, pretty big place and well run HOWEVER there is only ONE tiny office with one person doing the UK passports so I guess thats why it took 2 weeks for them to fit me in, I guess its not crossed anyones mind that adding a few more staff and offices to take applications might speed things up a bit blink.png

They said white was fine and the poster with examples of right and wrong photos had one with a white background and marked as a good example.

Only took me 5 mins to hand in, guy before me was in the office for like 45 mins though.

The office is where they do all the UK visas also, pretty big place and well run HOWEVER there is only ONE tiny office with one person doing the UK passports so I guess thats why it took 2 weeks for them to fit me in, I guess its not crossed anyones mind that adding a few more staff and offices to take applications might speed things up a bit blink.png

They must have changed things a bit, I went straight to counter No 11.

They must have changed things a bit, I went straight to counter No 11.

They (the outsourced security staff) still give you a card for some counter and then you generally have to suss out for yourself that it's wrong. Eventually you'll end up outside interview room 5(?) at the far end of the room. There was a sheet of A4 taped to the door when I was there. The security staff told me I would be called to the room by name - that was a bit of a surprise because I was doing a pick-up and they would have had no way of knowing I was sat there. A bit of a test in being blunt whilst remaining polite ... whistling.gif

Edited by rajyindee
  • Like 1

bigsteve, on 24 Jun 2014 - 21:55, said:

Successful 1 Year Extension:

I live in Phuket and have a 6 year old Thai/ British daughter. Her British passport was due to expire mid July but we don’t plan to fly to the UK until late August. I was just about to send off for her renewal when the news broke in the UK about the backlog of passport applications. Fortunately for me HMPO announced the plan to offer this overseas extension service.

I made my call to the British Embassy on the 17th June. The number is 02 305 8333. It is an automated service and a bit tricky to navigate but once I had worked that out I got through a friendly and helpful voice who promptly offered me an appointment for Tuesday 24th June. She also let me know the documents I would need, namely

Daughter’s UK passport (the one to be extended)

My UK Passport

Copy of (Thai) mother’s passport (I am not married – may be different for married couples)

Birth Certificate (which is Thai and therefore also needed English translation)

She also checked that my daughter’s passport had at least 3 blank pages. To qualify for this extension the passport can be expired by no more than 6 months or due to expire within the next 6 months (7 months if the place you plan to travel to requires 6 months remaining on the passport). My daughter didn’t actually need to be present.

So having got the appointment, we took the standard overnight bus from Phuket bus station to Bangkok as advised by Digital Chromakey who had been there for his renewal application in May. This was the 36 seater at 680 baht each way or there is a slightly more luxurious 24 seater for 1,050 each way. Our bus had a little Thai pastry and bottle of water on each seat as well as a blanket and pillow. The journey was fine and we arrived at about 7:30 at what I think was the Northern Bus terminal (which I think is near Mo Chit). At this point I made a mistake. Being a bit groggy from the overnight trip and being beset by taxi drivers as soon as the bus door opened I foolishly agreed to 350 baht in a taxi to Sukhumvit but this worked out ok as we had another errand to run at the Swedish Embassy before my appointment. What I should have done for the British Embassy is find my way to Mo Chit BTS Station and from there gone to Phloen Chit BTS Station which is just across the road from the Embassy itself. (As stated before, Digital Chromakey has made the journey and probably knows a better route).

Be warned – getting into the Embassy takes a while so I suggest arriving for your appointment at least 20 mins early. They kept my rucksack and made me turn off my phone. I was also told at the gate that as I had an appointment I did not need to take a ticket to join the queue. When I got inside the consular office it was unclear whether to wait for my name to be called or to ask at one of the counters when the previous person finished. In the end I compromised and waited until 15 minutes after my appointment time and then went to the counter. I am still unsure which was the right thing to do. Either way, the lady behind the counter had my daughter’s name on a clipboard and said she would see now see me. She verified that I had not already applied to renew this passport. If I had, I would not be allowed to extend it. She had me fill out the application form while she made copies of mine and my daughter’s passport. You can download this form from the Embassy website before you go if you want to save some time. (On the application form you will need to write down the Thai address of the applicant so make sure you have it). She was very pleasant and helpful and within about 10 minutes I left, armed with a new 12 month extension stamp in my daughter’s passport. She did tell me that the “12 months” is, in effect only 6 months because of the standard requirement of 6 months in the passport to be able to travel. As I left, I then heard her calling a name so presumably you do actually wait to be called....

attachicon.gif005.jpgattachicon.gif004.jpgattachicon.gif001.jpg

[For anyone doing this from Phuket, we decided that the journey up by bus had been long enough, especially with a 7 month old baby in tow and therefore decided to fly back to Phuket rather than take the 12 hour bus back down. To get to Don Muang Airport from the British Embassy, jump on the BTS at Phloen Chit and go to Mo Chit. From there head down to the road (sorry, I didn’t pay attention to which side but easy enough to ask at one of the BTS ticket counters for Don Muang Airport) and grab the A1 bus at the A1 bus stop near the bottom of the steps. It goes directly to the airport and costs 30 baht. Flying back down with Nok Air (booked at the airport 2 hours before the flight) cost 1,600 baht.]

I hope this report proves useful to some. If anyone has any questions I can answer I’ll be happy to smile.png

Steve

Hi Steve,

Same day, same time, was a bit late for me 9.00 am appointment, due to the traffic on both then route No. 7 and then the old main express way.

Made an appointment AND download the PDF that was provided by one of our members, which I thank you for very much wai.gifPrinted it off and filled in the required details a day before, so no problem at all, showed my PR and my Thai Driving License. The very nice Lady took them and asked to wait. Not too long later I got it.

Got there, left my phone and got a plastic number card and got scanned once over, had to show my money clip, (I know how to do it as it is metal) before they scanned my pockets.

And "Smooth as Silk" thumbsup.gif

Great Service, and well done by the British Embassy in Thailand wai.gif

Win smile.png

• Like 1

Good news for me (probably)

Submitted May 8th

Scanned into the system May 14

sent to the printers 5 weeks 6 days later, yesterday 24th June

permitted to talk to the progress department today as it was then 6 weeks

Expected delivery 10 working days after printing.

As I'm not in Thailand old passport will take another week or two after the passport arrives.

As you can see no update on the website

post-44962-0-26434800-1403696789_thumb.j

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Submitted May 8th

As I'm not in Thailand old passport will take another week or two after the passport arrives.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So you are looking at approx.8 weeks from application to passport collection, which seems to be almost as good as it gets around here and encouragingly, it is not any slower than the reports we have on this thread over the last 2-3 weeks [best 7.5 weeks and worst 16 weeks].

However, your comment about being 'not in Thailand', also that your old passport 'will take a another week or two before arriving' leads me to wonder as to where you actually applied for your passport renewal - was it at Trendy?

as my passport was valid till november 2020 i can no undersdtand why i was not allowed to leave thailand, to go to laos, even with 2 pages in my passport, that is enough for the laos visa and then my non b visa. Also i have received to e-mails 3 weeks apart asking me for more information, d-o-b full name where i live etc, In total it has cost me over 1600 baht in phone calls to the UK and they wvwn had the cheek at the Bangor call center in N Ireland to tell me to call back in 5 minutes as our systems are down.I have now been told that i am still being security checked, WHY they have coies off all my pages in my old passport my proff off address, and my phots countersigned by a uk pasport holder. This is a total cock up, and the excuses get better every day. it has now been 4 weeks since my original application and not even a hint of where abouts it is in the process chain.

In your earlier post you wrote that your passport expired on the 15/11/2010. I had read this as being assumedly 15/11/2014.

However if, as you posted above, that your passport actually expires on the 15/11/2020, then this highlights a new worrying fact.

It appears that as soon as you apply to renew your British Passport that it is cancelled by HMPO and that this is evident on a database that is easily accessible by Thai Immigration.

HMPO UK Helpline (aka the lying dogs) had previously informed me that the current passports were only in fact cancelled once the new passports were formally issued (i.e. actually sent to the printers).

So those of us who are caught up in this nightmare train wreck of a fiasco, with our passport renewals currently 'in application' need to be aware that we cannot even leave Thailand wit the passports we hold from the point immediately after the application has been registered by HMPO and that our only method of escape from the burning aircraft we find ourselves in is to:

1) Buy an ETD for 95 GBP and do a border run hoping to get a Visa Exempt Entry - Extensions of Stay/Work Permit Renewals are presumably not possible in this class of 'Emergency Passport'.

2) If our passports have at least three pages free (are not 'full'), then cancel the renewal application (this procedure is apparently lengthy, not clear and involves writing a letter to Trendy [who, remember, cannot read anything beyond basic English]). Then once the cancellation is confirmed go to the British Embassy to get the Free 12 month UK Passport extension, which will hopefully allow for a new Thai Extension of Permission to Stay, or as an alternative, travel to Hong Kong, Philippines, Cambodia to try and get a Visa.

3) Pray on a hourly basis to what ever higher powers there may be (other than the British Government who obviously don't give a flying f..k about our situation) that the application delays somehow 'miraculously' reduce in the near future.

4) Hide out here on overstay until the HMPO (aka The Bold Knight in Shining Armour) having issued passports to every citizen who remains living in the UK and wants one can then be bothered to get around to taking our papers out of the orange boxes to actual make our new passports then courier them to BKK for us to risk arrest and deportation as illegal immigrants to go there to pick up said item.

Interesting potential additional option has arisen regarding ETDs and my earlier comments in red above.

Was doing my 90 day report today, it was late in the day, so I went over to chat with one of the Senior Immigration Officers who deals with one year extensions, who happened to be free at the time.

Explained that my One Year Extension was up in July and that the British Government had unfortunately got its proverbial finger stuck up its a...e re timely passport issue.

Asked about what would happen if I turned up with a British ETD and asked for an extension, he said that they would definitely transfer stamps and would consider an extension against the ETD providing it had a one year validity.

I need a decent space model of a British ETD to go back and check for sure, but this might be (an albeit expensive) possible survival option for those of us waiting for new passports who have extensions expiring at the same time as the old passport.

Need to first check if the Embassy will consider the issue of an ETD for travel to nowhere with a one year validity.

Edited by digitalchromakey

My ETD was only valid for 9 months. No issues at all transferring stamps but my extension of stay was within the validity of the ETD. I think you must have some sort of trip booked to be issued the ETD - the details of the trip are included on the Observations page.

A quick e-mail to the consular section might be called for.

Edited by rajyindee

Submitted May 8th

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So you are looking at approx.8 weeks from application to passport collection, which seems to be almost as good as it gets around here and encouragingly, it is not any slower than the reports we have on this thread over the last 2-3 weeks [best 7.5 weeks and worst 16 weeks].

However, your comment about being 'not in Thailand', also that your old passport 'will take a another week or two before arriving' leads me to wonder as to where you actually applied for your passport renewal - was it at Trendy?

I'm in Japan and the website is here https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/ FWIW the site is down for maintance at th moment.

This is for applications from most other country's however the processing time is the same.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Submitted May 8th

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm in Japan and the website is here https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/ FWIW the site is down for maintance at th moment.

This is for applications from most other country's however the processing time is the same.

Just tried a mock application. Applying from Japan, no problem. Applying from Thailand, forget it!

Received this email this morning. Better late than never, but it seems the main reason given as to why applications cannot be made online is because of THAI LAW REQUIRES PASSPORTS TO BE KEPT ON A PERSON AT ALL TIMES. I have seen this discussed on other forums and it is simply UNTRUE, THERE IS NO LAW. Why doesn't our representatves at the British Embassy work with Thai immigration, to get a temporary document that will suffice in lieu of a passport during the application process??? I ge embarrassed and a little envious when I discuss this with expats from other countries that easily renew theirs!

I am in receipt of you re-mail of 22 May sent to the Minister for Immigration regarding your recent passport renewal from Thailand. As you are aware, Her Majestys Passport Office took over the processing of all passport applications from British Nationals overseas in March 2014. I note that you applied just before this date whilst we were in a transition period, when slightly different arrangements were in place.

Overseas applications are now subject to further security checks to align with our processes for domestic applications. These checks can take significantly longer than those made in the UK and we will not be in a position to issue a passport until all checks have been satisfactorily completed. As a result of this, processing times have increased for UK passport applications submitted from overseas. We acknowledge the frustration our customers may be experiencing and will continue to review our guidance on estimated processing times. Our current guidance states that renewal applications from Thailand take at least 6 weeks to process.

Thank you for your suggestions around the application process. We welcome feedback and I have considered your comments carefully. You have mentioned arrangements for applying on line in Malaysia and delivery options for passports in India. It is true that different arrangements exist in different countries and there are valid reasons for this.

Thai law states that a foreigner must be in possession of their passport at all times. Since, therefore it is not possible for an applicant to sent their passport to the UK, they must take it to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Bangkok, where local staff will take a copy of the passport, certify it as a true copy and send the copy to us. The applicant is then able to keep hold of their passport. When the new passport is issued it is returned to the VAC where the applicant must collect it from. This is so that they can bring their old passport for it to be cancelled. Whilst I understand that this process is not always convenient for some customers, I hope you can understand why it must be in place.

I realise that you may be disappointed by my response - that the on line service is not available from Thailand but I hope I have been able to clarify the policy and reasons behind it on this matter. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused to you.

Regards

Edited by watso63

Received this email this morning. Better late than never, but it seems the main reason given as to why applications cannot be made online is because of THAI LAW REQUIRES PASSPORTS TO BE KEPT ON A PERSON AT ALL TIMES. I have seen this discussed on other forums and it is simply UNTRUE, THERE IS NO LAW.

I read a similar claim on another forum, so I e-mailed the Embassy and asked them to specify which law they were referring to in their online advice. I haven't had a reply yet.

Just to update my particuar grievance with the procedure.

Got an email from the UK stating that they had received (one of) my letters written to complain about the procedure and my request to be able to apply on line for my girl in another country from where she is living - Thailand. The mail continued to say that they couldn't deal with my request and that the complaint needs to be directed elsewhere.

When I replied to request that my letter be forwarded to the correct office, the reply that came back informed that this cannot be done and they have already returned my letter to me in the post.

Great. Very helpful.

So I called the Passport helpline, spoke to a helpful man and explained my dilema.

He informed me that my request and complaint will now be dealt with by Liverpool and I can expect to get a call from them before next week.

Thing is now, I have a new job in October and will leave Malaysia in September. So any application made from here (eventually if they permit it) will mean I will have probably left the country before the passport arrives.

What a shambles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Interesting potential additional option has arisen regarding ETDs and my earlier comments in red above.

Was doing my 90 day report today, it was late in the day, so I went over to chat with one of the Senior Immigration Officers who deals with one year extensions, who happened to be free at the time.

Explained that my One Year Extension was up in July and that the British Government had unfortunately got its proverbial finger stuck up its a...e re timely passport issue.

Asked about what would happen if I turned up with a British ETD and asked for an extension, he said that they would definitely transfer stamps and would consider an extension against the ETD providing it had a one year validity.

I need a decent space model of a British ETD to go back and check for sure, but this might be (an albeit expensive) possible survival option for those of us waiting for new passports who have extensions expiring at the same time as the old passport.

Need to first check if the Embassy will consider the issue of an ETD for travel to nowhere with a one year validity.

Followed Rajyindee's advice and contacted the British Embassy Consular Facility in BKK.

Unfortunately max validity period for a UK ETD is 9 months and an out of country itinerary must be registered in the ETD.

A border run to Malaysia would leave me open to the whims of the Thai Border Police as to whether they would even let me out to get a 30 day visa exempt, on my return perhaps even demanding to see a large sum in cash (as I had a one year extension), etc etc - seems very risky.

Also returning on a Visa Exempt would terminate my non immigrant status, which would immediately invalidate my WP and block any application for an Extension of Permission to Stay.

I am now wondering if I were to register a fake itinerary to get an ETD, say a bus trip to Malaysia, but instead of making the trip to Malaysia I go straight to immigration, get my stamps transferred, then apply for a new Extension of Permission to Stay and re-entry permit (for my 'trip to Malaysia'). The One Year date is only is entered after the 30 day 'under consideration' period, after which my actual passport may possibly have arrived, so I could thus have all the stamps transferred again to the new 10 year passport before then I go back to get the balance of my One Year Extension.

The above scheme working depends on Thai Immigration doing the following.

1) Accepting a 9 month UK ETD for a one year extension application (Case 2.18 - Thai Family, Working with 40,000 THB+ pcm income) and giving the conditional stamp when the stated itinerary has not yet been 'followed'.

2) Allowing the new passport to be introduced between the 'Under Consideration' and One Year approval dates.

In theory this might just be possible, but it would require extreme good will and flexibility from several Thai Immigration Officials and may end up costing a lot in blood sweat and tears, or even 'oil', to get these particular wheels to turn.

Waiting to hear back from somebody more senior at the British Consulate BKK as to whether their end of this particular scheme would fly or not (probably won't mention that the Malaysia Trip might be fake).

If ok to this point, then it's a few trips to Thai Immigration to start building the foundations for this particular option......

Edited by digitalchromakey

I have two passports.

I use one for travel in and out of Thailand and the other for my overseas work visas.

If I apply to renew my 'Thailand' passport I understand it is cancelled. Would I be able to fly out and into Thailand using my valid second passport and showing Immigration my valid O-A Extension and Multi-Entry permit in my cancelled passport?

I have two passports.

I use one for travel in and out of Thailand and the other for my overseas work visas.

If I apply to renew my 'Thailand' passport I understand it is cancelled. Would I be able to fly out and into Thailand using my valid second passport and showing Immigration my valid O-A Extension and Multi-Entry permit in my cancelled passport?

Your passport would have to cancelled by cutting the corners off. But if you have an extension of stay from immigration you would have to have the stamps moved at immigration and they would want a letter from the embassy.stating you got a new passport.

rajyindee, on 26 Jun 2014 - 09:11, said:rajyindee, on 26 Jun 2014 - 09:11, said:
watso63, on 26 Jun 2014 - 08:34, said:watso63, on 26 Jun 2014 - 08:34, said:

Received this email this morning. Better late than never, but it seems the main reason given as to why applications cannot be made online is because of THAI LAW REQUIRES PASSPORTS TO BE KEPT ON A PERSON AT ALL TIMES. I have seen this discussed on other forums and it is simply UNTRUE, THERE IS NO LAW.

I read a similar claim on another forum, so I e-mailed the Embassy and asked them to specify which law they were referring to in their online advice. I haven't had a reply yet.

I think and correct me if I am wrong, in Thailand, that all people over the age of 15 years old must carry some sort of ID, meaning the Thais must carry their ID Card and we non-Thais also must have our very own ID, hence the need to carry our Passport at all times.

Win facepalm.gif

Edited by Kan Win

I think and correct me if I am wrong, in Thailand, that all people over the age of 15 years old must carry some sort of ID, meaning the Thais must carry their ID Card and we non-Thais also must have our very own ID, hence the need to carry our Passport at all times.

I think it's from the age of seven nowadays - could be wrong! Anyway, that's not the point ... there are various forms of ID available to different folk ... I wanted to know which Act or Regulation they are referring to which specifically states that "you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand". That's the advice on the website ... I'm still waiting on a response. There have been several threads on the matter on TV over the years ... AFAIK, no-one has ever identified the relevant Section of whichever Act or Regulation is being referred to.

Edited by rajyindee

rajyindee, on 26 Jun 2014 - 09:11, said:rajyindee, on 26 Jun 2014 - 09:11, said:

Win facepalm.gif

This is the closest I have ever seen to a specific law, however it does not say you need the original document in your hand.

Immigration Act BE 2522

Chapter 6 - Deportation of the Aliens

Section 58: Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom

under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has

no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to

have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

Section 59: The Director General, or the competent official deputized by Director

General, shall have the authority to arrest and suppress any person violating this

Act. They shall also have the authority to issue a subpoena, warrant of arrest or

search, make arrest , search , or detain. They shall also have the authority to

conduct inquiry into the offense against the provisions of this Act in the same

manner as the inquiry official under the Criminal Procedure Code.

Thanks to Maestro for the original document research - here is a link to his post.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/719631-passport-check-on-the-road/?p=7711071

Ref my post above, the promised phone call from Mr Big(er) at the British Embassy's Consular Facility never did arrive despite the consular official's promise that they would get back within the day with a solution to my particular dilemma.

The one thing that I am sure of is that the person who answered my call spoke perfect English - so any misunderstanding of my situation is not an acceptable excuse.

Will try again tomorrow and take names this next time.

• Like 1

Thanks to Maestro for the original document research - here is a link to his post.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/719631-passport-check-on-the-road/?p=7711071

Yes, as you say, nothing says you must carry a passport on your person. Section 12 (which Section 58 refers back to) also states that you must have been vaccinated against smallpox, but no-one suggests that you need to carry a vaccination certificate. Similarly, Section 12 also states ...

Section 12 : Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom : ...

... 8. Reason to believe that entrance into the Kingdom was for the purpose of being involved in prostitution,

Maybe the UK government should include that little snippet on their website. giggle.gif

Win facepalm.gif

This is where common sense should apply ie a form of documentation in lieu of a passport due to a renewal process. Each individual will have dealt with immigration, so records will exist. Some will have a yellow Tabian Baan and in my case a 5 year driving licence, which I now always use for ID purposes, which seems to work fine.

^

I try to avoid carrying my actual passport with me but I carry a colour photocopy with all the stamps/ current visa info. Most places are happy to accept this for ID. They simply take a copy of it anyway and have you sign it. If you have a Thai driving licence on you too, this has your passport number on it. These two together are usually good enough and means I don't have to worry about my passport going missing.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Ref my post above, the promised phone call from Mr Big(er) at the British Embassy's Consular Facility never did arrive despite the consular official's promise that they would get back within the day with a solution to my particular dilemma.

The one thing that I am sure of is that the person who answered my call spoke perfect English - so any misunderstanding of my situation is not an acceptable excuse.

Will try again tomorrow and take names this next time.

Well, I got a call from the British Embassy Consular Facility today (as promised, but a day late).

I was informed that the British Embassy is so snowed under with passport enquiries, free 12 Month Extension and ETD requests, that extra staff have had to be brought in from other areas to help deal with the workload of enquiries.

My caller admitted that she didn't work for the British Embassy Consular section, but supplied some helpful advice.

1) ETDs - there are so many requests for these at the moment that now they will only be issued to those with immediate travel requirements (i.e. same/next day). This blows my plan of getting an ETD for travel in say a couple of weeks to allow time for stamp/extension transfer and application for a new one year extension.

2) Was informed that the British Embassy has had some experience of ETDs not being accepted by Thai Immigration if the stated travel itinerary had not been followed - so the stated itinerary must at least a few days in the future for my plan to have any chance of success.

3) British Embassy cannot help with passport application withdrawals - this has to be dealt with by direct communication with HMPO.

4) Due to the unprecedented number of requests to the British Embassy regarding passport issues, a 'Special Channel' has been opened from the British Embassy to HMPO to try and help expedite applications where long delays are causing problems.

5) Was asked to summarise my case details and concerns in an email to the British Embassy in Bangkok and that they would try to help by forwarding the details of my case to HMPO through the new 'Special Channel'.

The British Embassy have shot down my ETD option as anything other than an ejector seat purely for use to exit the burning aircraft.

It also looks like I would have to make any journey itemized in the ETD for it to retain any validity/'credibilty' with Thai Immigration.

Well at least they have offered to try and help......

• Like 2

Submitted May 8th

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Success for me

and DHL was fast 3 days from printing to delivery in Tokyo japan

post-44962-0-52103400-1403848700_thumb.j

Though I'm not sure that including the organ donation form is such a good idea.

Submitted May 8th

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Success for me

and DHL was fast 3 days from printing to delivery in Tokyo japan

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Though I'm not sure that including the organ donation form is such a good idea.

So 7 weeks application to home delivery for an on line application from Japan - shame we don't a system anything like this in Thailand.

Even so 7 weeks is still an appallingly bad level of service for the renewal such an important identity document.