CIA still in the region?

Smurkster

This is obviously a little hard to answer because no one ever knows for sure who is clandestine or not. Of course as we know in the 60's during the Indochinese War ( i call it that because it really was more than Vietnam) there were tons of spies living and working in Laos and also Isan during the Royalist/Communist battle. Last time I was in Vientiane, the thought popped into my head "Is there still a CIA presence here and for what?" of course CIA is probably in every country in the world to some extent, but I don't know how much. I also know an ex CIA agent who lives in Loei and was working in ISan in the 60's, so that just made me want to know even more. Are CIA spies walking amongst us in either Thailand or Laos these days?

in my small provincial town I seem to meet a lot of Brits and Americans who also love to claim they were SAS, CIA or MI6 or what have you..I guess here you can be whomever you want to be!

Edited by Smurkster

Do not ask questions like that.

Do not mention the name of our organization.

I'm watching you...............................

Who are you attached to Costas?

laugh.png

Ex CIA

Ex MI6

Ex Commando

Ex......Ex.....Ex.......

Presently an old fartsad.png

Ah your not the real deal then you have to be ex para or ex SAS at least! to be a proper Thailand "operator"wai.gif

there is a large presence of cia/nsa in phenom pehn now it's one of the staging areas for electronic data collection. not sure why that location was chosen, but it likely does not have much to do with that country.

you won't come across clandestine agents working around you, it's all out of office buildings.

Met an American today in a country town, he saw me and sought me out. I've lived here years he said he'd been here months,

never saw him before. He said he was a teacher but wouldn't say which school as he didn't know me. Fairly early in the

conversation he talked about how in America now lots of people mistrust the FBI and the government, stockpiling weapons and

food etc, and then talked about an Iraqi TV news channel (maybe Al Jazeera) he watched which also mentioned Australian and

British people going off to join ISIS, as if trying to get me to get irate about it. Anyway if he was sounding me out for

whatever reason he would be disappointed because like Costas I am only an old fart, although not so much of the old. And if I told you what I used to do I'd have to kill you.

Doubt anyone here knows either way.

If there is, and they happen to be reading this, what really happened to Tony?

Tony retired in the mid 70's and died in (I think) Las Vegas about ten or so years ago.

Used to see him some with Jack in Madrid.

Tony retired in the mid 70's and died in (I think) Las Vegas about ten or so years ago.

Not Tony Bennet, Issan Tony who we believe ended up in the swamp.

Tony Bennet sang about underneath the mistletoe tree,

Issan Tony actually is underneath the mistletoe tree, about 6ft down.

Lots of spies worked for the AUA language schools in Thailand during Vietnam. That was their cover. I'm pretty sure that they have all retired though.

Obviously their cover wasn't very good if you knew about them Uly biggrin.png

Yes, a similar topic ran awhile ago about some undercover agents and all the bar stool experts in Pattaya could identify them (apparently oftensitting next to them and spilling covert secrets over a beer).

Undercover and covert tends to imply they can't be fingered especially by those who spend most of their time spotting pink elephants and UFOs.

Edited by Suradit69

Not Tony Bennet, Issan Tony who we believe ended up in the swamp.

Tony Bennet sang about underneath the mistletoe tree,

Issan Tony actually is underneath the mistletoe tree, about 6ft down.

I wasn't talking about Tony Bennett. He's still alive.

The question was about CIA types. Look up Tony Po. You were cryptic...so was I.

The Jack was another one, as was Ed, Carl, Bob and a host of AA pilots and kickers.

I personally never ran across Isaan Tony so can't help you there.