Agoda will not pay funds owed to a 'foreigner'

Well, that is what it amounts to, according to an email that I just received from Agoda, who would normally remit funds to my Bangkok Bank account for revenue earned from guest bookings at my guesthouse.

This is what they say:

"According to Thai regulation we are not allowed to pay THB from our domestic account in Thailand as non-residence bank account to the others non-residence bank account."

So I am the non-resident, living and working in Thailand since 2002, with a personal Bangkok Bank account since 2002. I own my business, but don't work in it, and currently live here on a 5-year, Easy Access Elite visa.

Agoda has previously paid revenue to my personal bank account for my other hotels, but now the banking regulations seem to have changed.

My accountant submits my personal tax returns for my income in Thailand, so it's not a question of trying to avoid payment of tax etc.

Can anyone confirm this banking regulation?

Agoda suggests that I either remit the funds to a Thai person, such as my ex-wives (over my dead body...), or that I remit them to a non-THB bank a/c outside of Thailand.

My suggestion (not yet relayed to Agoda), is that I won't be treated as a second-class citizen and I will remove my business details from their website and only use OTAs where the customer pays at the hotel, such as Booking.com. (I get about 10% of my bookings from Agoda, so that shortfall should easily be made up by the other OTAs).

whistling.gif I can't confirm what regulation they are talking about.

There have been a lot of problems since late 2013 with monthly funds transfers using U.S. banks into Thai banks.

In October 2013 I was notified by my U.S. bank that they could no longer do funds transfers from my U.S. account to my Bangkok Bank account.

After months of argument they finally told me that some "new regulation" in the U.S. prohibited them from sending my monthly social security direct deposit to my Bangkok Bank account unless I "notified them at their bank location" in the U.S.in person each month.

Their suggestion was that since I had a personal account in their bank I should open a business account instead so they could do a monthly transfer to Bangkok Bank monthly for my Social Security direct deposit to be forwarded to me every month..

Only thing was that they required a minimum monthly balance of $5000 to open a "business" account.

Needless to say hey are no longer my bank in the U.S.

I used to have an email address for Bangkok Bank in New York and the name of a person to contact there.

If I can find that I'll PM you and give you that information..

You could be able to set up a monthly transfer to them in New York to your account in Bangkok Bank.

First , however, as a long time customer with Bangkok Bank, I would at least attempt to talk to someone at a customer representative in Bangkok Bank at their Silom Road headquarters in Bangkok to make them aware of what's happening.

In my case, I retired in 2010 and for the first nearly 3 years had no problem getting my monthly Social Security pension sent to my Bangkok Bank account.

The in October 2013, everything changed.

The problem is not at the Thai end, it is in the U.S. banks end.

Personal opinion:

In the U.S everything has it's Pros and Cons.

We have Progress, and that moves things forwards for the better

And then we have a Congress, and that moves everything backwards and for the worst..

As per my PM, I'm talking about Agoda Thailand paying from their local Bangkok Bank branch THB a/c in BKK to my Bangkok Bank branch THB a/c in BKK.

Their point is that because I am not a Thai citizen, banking rules do not allow them to pay me! I call 'rubbish' on that statement, since they have paid me in a similar manner for the past decade...

Edited by simon43

"According to Thai regulation we are not allowed to pay THB from our domestic account in Thailand as non-residence bank account to the others non-residence bank account."

Sounds like they think you have a non-resident account. Just show them otherwise (get a letter from your bank).

Sounds like they think you have a non-resident account. Just show them otherwise (get a letter from your bank).

You're probably correct, but I have no idea whether my Bangkok Bank a/cs are 'resident' or 'non-resident'. Agoda had a copy of my passbook front page,so it may state the status there in Thai, (I've never noticed before).

I've had my Bangkok Bank a/c with their main office in Silom Road since 2002.

And if that a/c is non-resident, how does one qualify for a resident a/c, unless one has PR?

Clearly, if there is a rule that businesses with bank a/cs in Thailand cannot pay to non-resident bank a/cs, then Agoda and numerous other travel businesses have all been breaking the rules for the past decade, because none of them have ever mentioned this regulation before....

I'd appreciate if someone could expand further on the issue of non-resident and resident bank a/cs, and how one can open a resident a/c as a 'non-immigrant'.

Simon, no rules have changed

It is Agoda being Agoda.

Not sure if you aware but it operates semi (somewhat) legally, so most likely they want to cover their tracks or want to force you into using either credit card(virtual) or force you to accept payments at the hotel and pay them commission into non thai bank.

I have a direct contact for GM if you want to check with him, just PM

• Like 1

You're probably correct, but I have no idea whether my Bangkok Bank a/cs are 'resident' or 'non-resident'. Agoda had a copy of my passbook front page,so it may state the status there in Thai, (I've never noticed before).

And if that a/c is non-resident, how does one qualify for a resident a/c, unless one has PR?

Clearly, if there is a rule that businesses with bank a/cs in Thailand cannot pay to non-resident bank a/cs, then Agoda and numerous other travel businesses have all been breaking the rules for the past decade, because none of them have ever mentioned this regulation before....

I'd appreciate if someone could expand further on the issue of non-resident and resident bank a/cs, and how one can open a resident a/c as a 'non-immigrant'.

Accounts are, by default, resident. That's to say you can pay money in and out locally without any restrictions, but you may not be able to transfer money from them to outside the country without permission.

Non-resident accounts are strictly for money that has come from abroad. You cant pay "local" money into these accounts. But you can export the money in them at any time, or use it to buy a condo for example as it is considered to be "foreign" money.

Accounts are, by default, resident. That's to say you can pay money in and out locally without any restrictions, but you may not be able to transfer money from them to outside the country without permission.

Non-resident accounts are strictly for money that has come from abroad. You cant pay "local" money into these accounts. But you can export the money in them at any time, or use it to buy a condo for example as it is considered to be "foreign" money.

Hate to be the one to tell you but you are talking utter rubbish.

Banks do not have resident or non resident accounts and for internet transfers between banks in Thailand, there is no such a thing as resident or non resident.

The only time this rubbish comes up is when you want to have internet banking international, in this case bank wants to see either work permit or some evidence of why and where money came from to be transferred overseas

And even in this case, bank does not have resident or non resident, because no such a thing exists.

Banks do not require letter of residency only a passport with valid visa. Branches who ask for certificate simply do not have a clue, because calling head office confirms no need for residency.

Some banks or branches do not open accounts for tourist visa holders or 30 days visa exempt holders, but that has no relations to non existent "status" of non resident or resident.

As i said, Agoda operates semi legally and most likely trying to cover up their tracks.

Agoda does not pay any tax in Thailand, as it is not even a registered company.

Its a shonky set up of support office.

When people pay, charging bank is NOT in Thailand, so Agoda has to transfer money from overseas into Thailand, which leaves a trail of money and income.

Also with exchange rate fluctuating, they trying to once again maximize their income.

So agoda's 'accounts payable' bank account in LOS is non-resident, same as the OP's?

Seems strange that agoda haven't availed themselves of a resident account since they present a very large portfolio of Thai hotels on their website. It's also strange to assume that foreign-flagged hotel chains such as Marriott and Holiday Inn that are also taking and settling bookings via agoda must have a resident account in order to receive their monies from agoda.

It sounds like maybe they are squeezing out the lower-end independent hotels from their stable? The OP admits that agoda bookings are small change compared with others. Maybe agoda, in face of competition and fiscal downturn are remodelling their listings?

However, getting paid into a personal account may also be a bit strange. Is the OP's account with Bangkok Bank in his name (a personal account) or in his name (a company account). I mean, how are all your hotels managed if not by some sort of company structure.

Maybe Bangkok Bank can advise?

I will take up Agoda's suggestion to pay the money owed to me into a Thai person's bank account, (actually the cleaning lady - the sum owed is almost the same as the amount owed to her for her salary).

After that, no more business with Agoda :) I have already blocked my hotel on Agoda (all rooms fully booked for the next 6 months).

I have certainly noticed over the past couple of years that the market share of Agoda has fallen, whilst their sister company (Booking.com - the 2 companies are both owned by Priceline), has soared. I prefer OTAs where the guest pays at the hotel, since I do not have to raise invoices to the OTA. It is interesting that Expedia/Hotels.com now also offers customers the option to pay at the hotel, whereas it was previously only 'pay Expedia'. (They have also recently acquired the Wotif/Asiawebdirect OTA group).

Since my new little hotel seems to be popular, I am not 'cutting off my nose to spite my face'. I also work with Expedia, Airbnb, Hostelworld/Hostel;bookers, and various other smaller OTAs in Thailand (Sawadee, Blue House, Mono Travel). So the loss of Agoda is really no loss at all to me. (I will still use Agoda for my ex's hotels because their customer base is between 20 - 50% from Agoda).

• Like 1

I will take up Agoda's suggestion to pay the money owed to me into a Thai person's bank account, (actually the cleaning lady - the sum owed is almost the same as the amount owed to her for her salary).

After that, no more business with Agoda smile.png I have already blocked my hotel on Agoda (all rooms fully booked for the next 6 months).

I have certainly noticed over the past couple of years that the market share of Agoda has fallen, whilst their sister company (Booking.com - the 2 companies are both owned by Priceline), has soared. I prefer OTAs where the guest pays at the hotel, since I do not have to raise invoices to the OTA. It is interesting that Expedia/Hotels.com now also offers customers the option to pay at the hotel, whereas it was previously only 'pay Expedia'. (They have also recently acquired the Wotif/Asiawebdirect OTA group).

Since my new little hotel seems to be popular, I am not 'cutting off my nose to spite my face'. I also work with Expedia, Airbnb, Hostelworld/Hostel;bookers, and various other smaller OTAs in Thailand (Sawadee, Blue House, Mono Travel). So the loss of Agoda is really no loss at all to me. (I will still use Agoda for my ex's hotels because their customer base is between 20 - 50% from Agoda).

Be careful with Booking, their set up is even more shonky than Agoda.

From my experience, in short, first they sold my rooms for 0.01 baht, then demanded i give rooms, promising to pay later and then expected commissions same amount as if rooms were sold at full price.

• Like 2

Konying, I have never had any problems with Booking.com, since the customer pays in full at the hotel. If it is a no-show, I have to remember to notify Booking.com of this, otherwise they will still charge me the 15% commission...

Banks do not have resident or non resident accounts and for internet transfers between banks in Thailand, there is no such a thing as resident or non resident.

Yeah, right.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BANGKOKBANK/PERSONALBANKING/SPECIALSERVICES/FOREIGNCUSTOMERS/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

"Non-Resident Baht Account

A non-Resident Baht account may be useful if you plan to transfer funds to Thailand for investment purposes and intend to repatriate your funds in the future. Transactions are recorded in accordance with Bank of Thailand regulations.

Please note, this account is not appropriate for daily use as all transactions are manual and can only be made at the Head Office branch on Silom Road, Bangkok."

The entire point of this thread is that non-resident Baht accounts do exist.

Konying, I have never had any problems with Booking.com, since the customer pays in full at the hotel. If it is a no-show, I have to remember to notify Booking.com of this, otherwise they will still charge me the 15% commission...

Praise your stars Simon. I dealt with them for over 2 years until the problem happened.

Legal was involved, hence why i have contacts for all the heads and know about their set ups.

As i said, in my case, they screwed up setting promotion and sold rooms for 0.01 baht.

You will find their Bkk office has no authority for anything, all goes through office in Singapore and if you were to have problems, you can take any action in Thailand because they are not registered in Thailand

Yeah, right.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BANGKOKBANK/PERSONALBANKING/SPECIALSERVICES/FOREIGNCUSTOMERS/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

A non-Resident Baht account may be useful if you plan to transfer funds to Thailand for investment purposes and intend to repatriate your funds in the future. Transactions are recorded in accordance with Bank of Thailand regulations.

Please note, this account is not appropriate for daily use as all transactions are manual and can only be made at the Head Office branch on Silom Road, Bangkok."

Yet another nonsense.

Its an account which does not pay tax, does not mean one can not open a normal account and if as OP already stated account was used for years, its most certainly NOT non resident account

Yeah, right.

Yet another nonsense.

Its an account which does not pay tax, does not mean one can not open a normal account and if as OP already stated account was used for years, its most certainly NOT non resident account

If you bothered to read a bit before spouting off you would have noticed that I specifically wrote "Sounds like they think you have a non-resident account. Just show them otherwise (get a letter from your bank)."

And why shouldn't someone have a non-resident account for years? Or maybe you still maintain that they dont exist?

So agoda's 'accounts payable' bank account in LOS is non-resident, same as the OP's?

Seems strange that agoda haven't availed themselves of a resident account since they present a very large portfolio of Thai hotels on their website. It's also strange to assume that foreign-flagged hotel chains such as Marriott and Holiday Inn that are also taking and settling bookings via agoda must have a resident account in order to receive their monies from agoda.

I doubt that the OP's account is non-resident at all. But Agoda seem to think that it is.

Why do Agoda run a non-resident account? Probably because they only use it to pay out money to local companies (hotels) and by keeping it (and themselves) non-resident and having no income in Thailand they probably avoid having to file Thai company tax returns etc etc.

That's what I would do in their shoes anyway.

Hotels in Thailand are bound to have resident bank accounts because they are Thai companies with income and employees and expenses and everything that goes with it.

Yeah, right.

Yet another nonsense.

If you bothered to read a bit before spouting off you would have noticed that I specifically wrote "Sounds like they think you have a non-resident account. Just show them otherwise (get a letter from your bank)."

And why shouldn't someone have a non-resident account for years? Or maybe you still maintain that they dont exist?

1. I am not the OP

2. Agoda has no access to bank records or bank status and can not assume anything

3. If you bothered to read, Agoda use to pay OP without a problem,

4. If you were to have the so called non resident ie tax free account for years you would be breaking the law, because non resident would apply ONLY to people who spend limited time in the country, those certainly do not run or own businesses-its called common sense.

5. Going by you logic, if one had non resident account with Bangkok Bank, showing letter to Agoda would be useless, because account will remain "non resident"

6. Again if you missed it the first 3 times, Agoda has no access or knowledge of your account status and it should not make any difference, unless they trying to cover something up

Quit while you ahead on the matters to which you do not seem to have a clue but a link, without much understanding of it..

• Like 1

I have a resident account. My understanding is that if you are a resident here on a long-term visa (e.g. retirement, marriage) then you get a resident account. If you just have a tourist visa and are on holiday you get a non-resident account. I'm pretty sure it's that simple.

I have a resident account. My understanding is that if you are a resident here on a long-term visa (e.g. retirement, marriage) then you get a resident account. If you just have a tourist visa and are on holiday you get a non-resident account. I'm pretty sure it's that simple.

Eligibility for so called non resident account available in following currency's

• Overseas branch office or representative office of persons who have base in Thailand.
  • Establishments, institutes or companies registered overseas
  • Foreign governments and organizations, foreign embassies, consulates, specialized agencies of the United Nations, international organizations or institutions in Thailand
  • Officials, staff, experts or other persons who are foreigners working for embassies, consulates, specialized agencies, international organizations or institutions that are based in Thailand
  • Foreigners who work in Thailand temporarily
  • Thai nationals who have permanent base in foreign countries
  • US Dollar (USD)
  • Singapore Dollar (SGD)
  • Australian Dollar (AUD)
  • Canadian Dollar (CAD)
  • Hong Kong Dollar (HKD)
  • Japanese Yen (JPY)
  • Pound Sterling (GBP)
  • Swiss Franc (CHF)
  • Euro (EUR)
  • Chinese Yuan (CNY)

Here are the conditions for Non resident thai baht account

http://www.krungsri.com/bank/getmedia/5c745a83-f2b4-418d-a92d-72f6c2f3f7a7/Download-Form-HSBC-005.aspx

Transfers from Non resident to another Non resident is perfectly acceptable, just as payments/transfers for sale or services.

Just as i said, Agoda is either covering something up or trying to force all hotels to change to virtual credit card

• Like 1

1. I am not the OP

2. Agoda has no access to bank records or bank status and can not assume anything

4. If you were to have the so called non resident ie tax free account for years you would be breaking the law, because non resident would apply ONLY to people who spend limited time in the country, those certainly do not run or own businesses-its called common sense.

5. Going by you logic, if one had non resident account with Bangkok Bank, showing letter to Agoda would be useless, because account will remain "non resident"

6. Again if you missed it the first 3 times, Agoda has no access or knowledge of your account status and it should not make any difference, unless they trying to cover something up

Quit while you ahead on the matters to which you do not seem to have a clue but a link, without much understanding of it..

You are so far off-track that it is fairly pointless even replying to you. But what the hell.

1) So what?

2) So what? They dont need to know anything to make assumptions, quite the opposite in fact.

3) So what? They may have changed their minds for some reason. There's no law against it.

4) "So-called non-resident"? What on earth are you talking about? You apparently have no idea at all of what a non-resident account really is. They aren't "so-called"; they are real. There is nothing preventing anyone from having one indefinitely. And the same person or entity can have both a non-resident account and a resident one, simultaneously.

5) Again, read what I actually wrote. The letter would be to demonstrate that the account was NOT a non-resident one ie to show Agoda that they were wrong. So the complete opposite of what you understood. How do you get such simple things so completely wrong?

6) This just makes no sense at all, but neither does anything else you write.

1. I am not the OP

You are so far off-track that it is fairly pointless even replying to you. But what the hell.

1) So what?

2) So what? They dont need to know anything to make assumptions, quite the opposite in fact.

3) So what? They may have changed their minds for some reason. There's no law against it.

4) "So-called non-resident"? What on earth are you talking about? You apparently have no idea at all of what a non-resident account really is. They aren't "so-called"; they are real. There is nothing preventing anyone from having one indefinitely. And the same person or entity can have both a non-resident account and a resident one, simultaneously.

5) Again, read what I actually wrote. The letter would be to demonstrate that the account was NOT a non-resident one ie to show Agoda that they were wrong. So the complete opposite of what you understood. How do you get such simple things so completely wrong?

6) This just makes no sense at all, but neither does anything else you write.

Are you struggling with comprehension?

There is no problem for so called non resident account to receive funds.

Simple common sense, if funds were sent before without any problems, there is nothing legitimate to stop Agoda to keep on sending the funds.

To suggest it must be a Thai person is not only insane, but totally illogical when the OP is the one who signed the contract with Agoda.

It is as simple as that.

Now please go to a topic where you do have some experience or a cluerolleyes.gif

Not sure if it is different in Thailand but all Agoda bookings in Aust are paid with virtual credit card (VCC). No fuss or waiting to get payment. This is becoming more popular and the kick backs to the cc companies must be huge!

Well, the outcome/investigation of this is as follows:

Agoda uses a non-resident THB bank a/c to make payments to hotels in Thailand, paying into their THB resident a/cs.

Agoda says that it is against Thai banking rules to pay from a non-resident THB to another non-resident THB a/c. I have no idea if this is true or not).

Agoda claim that they spoke with my bank who confirmed that I have a non-resident a/c. This does not make any sense, because according to Bangkok Bank, non-resident a/cs only operate out of their Silom Road HQ and require in-person visits to the bank to deposit/withdraw funds etc. My a/c is in Phuket and the bank manager has known me for yonks and has no reason to set me up with a non-resident a/c. I never export funds - I live here permanently

Of course, I will go into the bank on Monday and ask further about my a/c...

However, the resolution to my problem comes from my cleaning lady, (a la Thaksin solution!). She will open a bank a/c in her name tomorrow with another bank and give me the ATM card and bank book - the a/c will not receive huge sums of money.

BTW, a poster asked why these funds are not paid into a business a/c. The reason is because the business is registered as a Thai Sole Trader, but with me as the sole beneficiary of the business revenues. (Bit like renting out condos in your Thai wife's name). The Thai person pays tax as required on the business profits, I get to live at the hotel but don't work there, I get all the profits.... without the hassle of registering a Thai company, shareholders, work permit etc)

Can that Thai person kick me out? Of course, but I've been down that route before years ago and it's a non-starter.. Kick me out and the business grounds to a halt within days, (I hold all the passwords etc...)

• Like 1

Well, the outcome/investigation of this is as follows:

Agoda uses a non-resident THB bank a/c to make payments to hotels in Thailand, paying into their THB resident a/cs.

Agoda says that it is against Thai banking rules to pay from a non-resident THB to another non-resident THB a/c. I have no idea if this is true or not).

Agoda claim that they spoke with my bank who confirmed that I have a non-resident a/c. This does not make any sense, because according to Bangkok Bank, non-resident a/cs only operate out of their Silom Road HQ and require in-person visits to the bank to deposit/withdraw funds etc. My a/c is in Phuket and the bank manager has known me for yonks and has no reason to set me up with a non-resident a/c. I never export funds - I live here permanently

Of course, I will go into the bank on Monday and ask further about my a/c...

However, the resolution to my problem comes from my cleaning lady, (a la Thaksin solution!). She will open a bank a/c in her name tomorrow with another bank and give me the ATM card and bank book - the a/c will not receive huge sums of money.

BTW, a poster asked why these funds are not paid into a business a/c. The reason is because the business is registered as a Thai Sole Trader, but with me as the sole beneficiary of the business revenues. (Bit like renting out condos in your Thai wife's name). The Thai person pays tax as required on the business profits, I get to live at the hotel but don't work there, I get all the profits.... without the hassle of registering a Thai company, shareholders, work permit etc)

Can that Thai person kick me out? Of course, but I've been down that route before years ago and it's a non-starter.. Kick me out and the business grounds to a halt within days, (I hold all the passwords etc...)

Once again more BS from Agoda

1. Bank would never speak with Agoda about your bank account or its status

2. Rules regarding this already posted earlier, transfers from non resident to non resident is not a problem.

There is definitely something else, behind this BS, just can not figure out what it is.

Ask your accountant why would someone do this?Just to cover your butt.

May be and i say may be, they suppose to pay withholding tax which they do not want to pay, or may be something to do with collecting VAT but not paying it.

Seems like Agoda is the least of your problems if you can't even trust the sole owner of the business to receive funds generated by the business.

IMHO Agoda are doing things correctly; why would the be paying into someones bank who has (on paper) nothing to do with the business?

I am getting confused. How does Agoda know that your account is a non-resident account. I did not think that this is something that could be determined from account number. Does anybody know more about this?

Seems like Agoda is the least of your problems if you can't even trust the sole owner of the business to receive funds generated by the business.

Nowadays, I trust no-one, not even my own family. I would be naive to do otherwise.

...why would the be paying into someones bank who has (on paper) nothing to do with the business?

As long as the owner of the business has authorised Agoda to pay into that bank a/c, I don't see any problem. With all these OTAs, the tax/VAT liabilities of the hotel is not the concern of the OTA.