Thailand eyeing tighter restrictions on foreign businesses

webfact

Execellent. For those who complain, no one asked you to start a 'business' in Thailand. Somehow foreigners stil think that Thai need them, think twice. Most Thai having university degrees are very well educated whether it is IT, economics etc and can work at any Multi National. For the small 'businesses' I think it is completely logic government helps to protect Thai interest.

Classic case of the left hand doesn't know whet the right hand is doing, one minuet they encourage

people from all over the world to come to invest in Thailand and the next they come out with new

draconian masseurs how to stuff it all up... too many bureaucrats are spoiling the broth here...

No, they are not, investors are welcome to bring their money, but leave the money to be managed by Thais and they will send you a report of how well they manage it. They want you to sit and relax while they screw you.

It is that kind of nationalism that is killing this country.

But for the big industries, they will be sure to make some kind of loophole because you think Mercedes Benz, Toyota and big business like that will give the control of their companies to satisfy the nationalism of the Thais.

Those companies are all under the BOI (Board of Investment) and 100% foreign ownership has always been available.

What they really will do is going after those front-end companies with their Thai wife and the farang owns 49% in the company.

Nana Plaza is another typical example. Its controlled by foreigners (US citizens) and also they only own 49% they have preferential shares.

Their are thousands of guesthouses and small hotels that are running under the same structure.

I believe those businesses are of risks but not the large scale companies.

With a BOI company you get twice tax incentives up to 100% for 7 years and an additional 3 years.

There are plenty of very sigificant investments in the country which are done on th 51:49 model with share classes. Tesco, Holcim, DTAC and many others are set up this way.

If they really go down this path, it will be absolutely catastrophic for the investment climate in the country. Quite what they think this will really achieve in the long run is beyond me, because many will just hop across a border and open elsewhere and take all the know how with them, even the Thai employees if they need to.

If they do this, they really will have made their own bed and get everything they deserve in terms of any inevitable fallout.

Thailand slowly but surely show it real face.

Thailand is one of the most fashism countries in the world.

I hope many companies realize that, and move to another place.

Let the international community teach this fashism a lesson.

Thailand slowly but surely show it real face.

Which one?

Execellent. For those who complain, no one asked you to start a 'business' in Thailand. Somehow foreigners stil think that Thai need them, think twice. Most Thai having university degrees are very well educated whether it is IT, economics etc and can work at any Multi National. For the small 'businesses' I think it is completely logic government helps to protect Thai interest.

The Govt are constantly asking Japan and China to invest in Thailand. Why is that if they do not need foreign investment and expertise?

Haha. Youre funny.

My advice has always been not to try and own a business here. For me it comes down to having to deal with the Thais and all that that involves.

I also recommend never buying property in Thailand for the many reasons experienced expats know. I have many friends who use to own and couldn't wait to get out, usually at a loss.

Many opportunities out there, Thailand isn't one of them.

There is always exceptions to the rule but realistically it's an extremely difficult place to start or operate a successful business. Investment here is usually a mistake and it looks like it's just getting tougher. sad.png

I totally agree with you 100%.... Why invest money here as a foreigner you have NO RIGHTS.

• Like 1

Those companies are all under the BOI (Board of Investment) and 100% foreign ownership has always been available.

What they really will do is going after those front-end companies with their Thai wife and the farang owns 49% in the company.

Nana Plaza is another typical example. Its controlled by foreigners (US citizens) and also they only own 49% they have preferential shares.

Their are thousands of guesthouses and small hotels that are running under the same structure.

I believe those businesses are of risks but not the large scale companies.

With a BOI company you get twice tax incentives up to 100% for 7 years and an additional 3 years.

I did not know that, thanks for the precision.

So looking at what you wrote, it is definitively aimed at foreign owned small businesses. It is almost some kind of econo-racism against the farang owner.

At last this article makes one thing clear:

Using preferred shares for controlling a business is not illegal (yet).

As for the proposed changes, I think they are a very very very bad idea.

I like the formulation "The current law forbids foreign majority ownership in sectors where Thai businesses are deemed not ready to compete with foreign companies."

They are taking the piss - this makes it sound as if foreigners were allowed to own a majority share in farms, rubber plantations, furniture factories, car repair shops ...

Infuriating, in fact.

What problem are they trying to fix exactly? An individual or group that inject a % of cash, deserve that % of control.... or did I misunderstand something about vote and shares on a very fundamental level?

• Like 1

This should of happened a long time ago. All these farangs taking money off hard working Thais!

Thailand has long been the country of innovation and self sustainability! Western nations should be grateful to be allowed to business at all in the Kingdom, they try to learn the Thai's business practices, customer service, law enforcement, in which all fields Thais lead the world.

May be hardly working.....????

Sure, why not. Thailand is totally self-sustainable and has no real need for foreign capital. Thailand has found a cure for Ebola and Aids, it has successfully franchised the Tour de France to France, it has singlehandedly invented Facebook and the Internet (in that order), and it's space program is second to none. Furthermore, it can boast of more brain power in a single BiB booth, than all of Silicon Valley and Wall Street combined, in fact every BiB is a rocket scientist. Let's not even mention culture and the Arts, just one word: Thai TV Drama - unparalleled!

There is just nothing that can rival this country's visionary leadership.

So very true... Thailand the HUB of Bullshit.

• Like 2

This should of happened a long time ago. All these farangs taking money off hard working Thais!

Thailand has long been the country of innovation and self sustainability! Western nations should be grateful to be allowed to business at all in the Kingdom, they try to learn the Thai's business practices, customer service, law enforcement, in which all fields Thais lead the world.

Are you joking, business practices, customer service, law enforcement, lead the world.

1: a Thai property company swindled me out of 2m baht, and 2 law firms took over 300,000 from me and did a runner.

On 3 occasions I took products back within the warranty period and they smiled at me and said cannot help you. No warranty.

the country that has soooo many contributions on the world stage: like jasmine rice...and?.....oh, and nothing else. If they want more protectionism despite the 49% share in effect, and admit they cant compete with foreign business... I'll laugh when the place is one day an occupied territory of China. Happy we're working in the west next year...architectural firms are on their s*itlist as well...

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 2

Are you joking, business practices, customer service, law enforcement, lead the world.

1: a Thai property company swindled me out of 2m baht, and 2 law firms took over 300,000 from me and did a runner.

On 3 occasions I took products back within the warranty period and they smiled at me and said cannot help you. No warranty.

Yes shaurene, I was joking, thought it was rather obvious.

• Like 1