Do Thai people like to get in your way on purpose?

OnMyWay2

Maybe it's just me but I want to see if anyone else notices this. Thai people just seem to like to get in your way. I don't know if they're just curious and want to see how you will react or if it's a territorial thing but I feel like Thai people are always get right in my path when I'm walking. Anyone else notice this?

• Like 2

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ever tried to trip a thai? i stuck my foot out at a lady who cut me off waiting at s food stall to order. she stumbled and it was the funniest thing ever.

it's also done with the shoe which adds a hilarious undertone you don't get in the west.

Are you for real?

I know exactly what he means

There have been many threads on this topic before

They can't seem to ride motorbikes in a straight line either

Lol. I'm probably one of them because I seldomly ride in a straight line....unless of course I'm entering a bend, I. Which case I ride straight, ensuring that I cross to the wrong side.

I've never seen a thread on someone claiming Thais get in their way when walking in the street.

Time to breathe me thinks.

ever tried to trip a thai? i stuck my foot out at a lady who cut me off waiting at s food stall to order. she stumbled and it was the funniest thing ever.

it's also done with the shoe which adds a hilarious undertone you don't get in the west.

Try that with me and see what happens. Dangerous stuff. Do you carry a small jar when you walk around? Edited by neverdie

When I get one in BKK walking straight towards me I now STOP dead............they continue and walk into me, then look surprised they hit me???

See that's what I'm talking about. They love doing this when backing out out on a motorbike. You know that they see you because who backs up on a motorbike without looking?

It's gotten to the point where I've started doing this fake out move where they end up disappointed that they didn't "accidentally" back up right when I'm walking by.

Edited by OnMyWay2

My favorite is the way they step off the escalator and then just stop so everyone has to push past them. Also noticed this at the water park with slides. Get to the bottom and then just stand there grinning till someone comes down and hits them. :)

See that's what I'm talking about. So it's not just me, it's almost as if they want you to run into them.

Has the OP realised that the one common factor in all these collisions is him? All the Thais he's talking about seem to be able to manoeuvre round other Thais without too many problems...

The funny part is he seems to think the Thais actually notice him. ;)

• Like 2

Has the OP realised that the one common factor in all these collisions is him? All the Thais he's talking about seem to be able to manoeuvre round other Thais without too many problems...

No Im afraid there's a least two of us but you keep on "pointing stuff out to us" if it makes you happy. good job youre here so we see the error of our stupid wayscoffee1.gif

I may notice it more because I have a bad knee so if someone causes me to suddenly swerve out of the way I could easily get injured.

I've learned how to deal with it, you just need to fake them out so when they try to get in your way they end up blocking in the wrong direction :)

The funny part is he seems to think the Thais actually notice him. ;)

Maybe they don't notice me that's part of the problem of being unaware of their surroundings. I don't have a problem with other farangs crashing into me at the last second.

My favorite is the way they step off the escalator and then just stop so everyone has to push past them. Also noticed this at the water park with slides. Get to the bottom and then just stand there grinning till someone comes down and hits them. smile.png

It's not just Thailand, much of Asia has this type of problem, poor spacial awareness.

That said, Europe has similar issues, anyone who's ever been to the Netherlands will know what I mean. I watched a Dutch lady walk into a tree in Rotterdam because it didn't get out of her way.

• Like 2

I could swear they do it on purpose though. Maybe doing it to feel busy. people feel more busy when whatever they're doing causes other people to divert their path.

I get this feeling when driving the bike and someone pulls right out in front of me causing me to brake and then drives really really slowly.

Sometimes if I try to overtake them then they will speed up! Like they need the small satisfaction of getting in someone's way.

• Like 1

I could swear they do it on purpose though. Maybe doing it to feel busy. people feel more busy when whatever they're doing causes other people to divert their path.

similar to cars on freeways in the us. mindset translates to behavior. pride and self-importance results in a feeling thst others should move out of your way. the more busy snd rushed you are the more uou have to do and the more important you are.

thais carry a lot of pride

OP

I encounter this every day.

Thais appear to have either tunnel vision or the they are looking in a different direction from which they are walking. I have encounered this in other Asian Countries as well.

I think i might be contibuting to the problem by walking too fast. If i slowed down a bit it might be less of a problem.

• Like 1