UK: Trip Advisor bad review 'fine' to be refunded by Blackpool hotel

webfact

Actually in the US if it wasn't fraud it would be theft. The card owner agreed to a sum certain to be charged, gave out card details and then the hotel abused the information.

The hotel would quickly lose its merchant agreement and therefore ability to accept that credit card. That's just the first of a snowball of bad things that would happen to it.

sounds like theft in the UK too..... as far as the statement or contract, in UK it isn't with the paper it's written on if it is outside the "spirit" or intentions" of Fair Trading and consumer law...... you can't curtail a customer's rights over that law.

Not quite. But consumers have far more protection than businesses when it come to contracts. The couple might want to bring an action for damages if the hotel was not as described etc. I'm sure Trading Standards and local authority hygiene officers will be taking an interest in all aspects of this hotel now.

What this does highlight are the dangers of any organization charging your credit card with things without your prior approval.

Putting a clause like this into sales conditions is more or less admitting your crap.

What's "not quite"???

Too late, I should think. This amounts to theft and fraudulent use of someone's credit card. And they admitted it. In the US, you do something like this with someone's credit card and you go to jail.

This is probably not over ... Once the police are brought in the same all apply in the uk

• Like 1

Actually in the US if it wasn't fraud it would be theft. The card owner agreed to a sum certain to be charged, gave out card details and then the hotel abused the information.

The hotel would quickly lose its merchant agreement and therefore ability to accept that credit card. That's just the first of a snowball of bad things that would happen to it.

Last time I bought some software on line from America using my Debit Card I filled out all my details,then changed my mind and never accepted the final agreement part of the order,when I got my Bank statement the company had processed the order but never sent the software. My Bank told me there was nothing they could do,because I had given the company my Debit Card details!

A debit card is totally different from a credit card in both substance and consumer protection. I would never make an online payment with a debit card.

Credit cards give massive consumer protection.

Last time I bought some software on line from America using my Debit Card I filled out all my details,then changed my mind and never accepted the final agreement part of the order,when I got my Bank statement the company had processed the order but never sent the software. My Bank told me there was nothing they could do,because I had given the company my Debit Card details!

A debit card is totally different from a credit card in both substance and consumer protection. I would never make an online payment with a debit card.

Credit cards give massive consumer protection.

Yes I know the error I made now,and have taken the necessary steps to make sure I don't get left open to be scammed again. i.e I pay for everything bought on line through PAY PAL! which now has a useful way of getting the goods and paying at a later date,so I can even check out the goods before paying!

Incidently you don't need to be a member of Ebay to sign up for PAY PAL.Payments!

Edited by MAJIC

Have you ever stayed in a Blackpool hotel? I thought they were obligated to be rotten, stinking hovels. :D

The surprising thing to me is that the hotel retains the right to surcharge you after you have checked out and the credit card used. I can understand that perhaps they need to for subsequent damage or missing items, but it sounds to be arbitrary. I feel once I have gone and paid up, payment is done with, they need to check the room before I go! Any later surcharge should be accompanied by a detailed account.

Have you ever stayed in a Blackpool hotel? I thought they were obligated to be rotten, stinking hovels. biggrin.png

The surprising thing to me is that the hotel retains the right to surcharge you after you have checked out and the credit card used. I can understand that perhaps they need to for subsequent damage or missing items, but it sounds to be arbitrary. I feel once I have gone and paid up, payment is done with, they need to check the room before I go! Any later surcharge should be accompanied by a detailed account.

I have stayed in rotten, stinking hovels for 3 times the 38 GBP -- 15 years ago..... in comparison it sounds like a deal to me.... this is the UK afterall where everything is overpriced -- even the crap.