Security Question Pattaya

jimmy5L

Hi folks,

Knowing Thailand is a “save” place for all, I was reading on a Dutch forum that Pattaya was getting dangerously dangerous and maybe is already dangerous? And I’m talking (or they where!) murder, drugs, mafia’s, the big stuff!

Any comments, advice, agrees or disagrees?? :o

:D

I was reading on a Dutch forum that Pattaya was getting dangerously dangerous and maybe is already dangerous?

Waiting for the smart comments about the Dutch to follow... :o

Hmm, why do you say this, I know we are not the most generous ($$$) foreigners. But do you think we are unfriendly or boring or gangsters or …

Maybe you can explain what’s wrong with us so I can correct myself, and what your nationality is!

Btw, I know that with all nationality there is good and bad, I’m talking in generally!

Ignore the crap that you read, stuff happens here as it happens all over.

Its safe enough here. :D (unless you look for trouble)

Thks for the reply, I know it’s saver then in Europe, have been reading about a lot of murder’s lately …

:o

I was reading on a Dutch forum that Pattaya was getting dangerously dangerous and maybe is already dangerous?

My impression is that over the last 8 years, there is more crime being reported. I spend weekends there & read the local rags at the weekend.

The impression I get is that there are more and more young Thai guys coming to Pattaya to burgle houses & mug people.

It's mostly petty crime - but the problem is that these guys will cause you serious damage rather than get caught.

Pedro

Sadly a glance at the Samui forum in particular, will show you the rise in crime is indicative across the LOS. There is a great deal of hired help from the poor parts of the land in Patters right now working on the never ending building boom, (same as Samui). Some of the guys when paid off stay, or perhaps worse, tell their pals from the sticks that the streets are pathed with gold. Sadly when they find this not to be true, a number are turning to the darker side of life. This said, no matter what the bashers tell you, if you don't look for trouble down the town the place is fine and investing in a visible security system seems to do the trick, as the yobs , like all yobs are lazy and will go for the easy targets first. Much better off in Patters than any large UK city, but sadly not as at peace as you once were ten years ago.

I’ve lived on Phuket now for many years and it’s a safe place in my opinion, of course, like anywhere it’s got its bad spots. However on the odd occasion that I’ve stayed in Pattaya, I’ve noticed many house owners seem to find in necessary to put high walls around their property, topped with barb wire or broken glass – and I’m not talking about mansions here, just normal townhouses and bungalows. There’s no smoke without fire as the old saying goes.

I’ve lived on Phuket now for many years and it’s a safe place in my opinion, of course, like anywhere it’s got its bad spots. However on the odd occasion that I’ve stayed in Pattaya, I’ve noticed many house owners seem to find in necessary to put high walls around their property, topped with barb wire or broken glass – and I’m not talking about mansions here, just normal townhouses and bungalows. There’s no smoke without fire as the old saying goes.

Must admit I find that interesting myself. Folk in general pay considerably more for their des res in Phuckit, so one would imagine rich pickings inside for the jolly neds ? Perhaps they can't read or the bus fare to Patters is cheaper.

FLEE !!!

Escape while you can ! We are being slaughtered here by the thousands ! It is a bloodbath !

Tell all your friends, tell everybody ! Get out before it's too late !

Chang Mai is the place to be ! Much safer. Much cooler. Much cheaper. Prettier Women. Smarter elephants. :o

In the meantime, while everyone else is running for their lives, the rest of us will continue our happy lives here, content in the knowledge that it is probably safer here than in most of the rest of the world.

Where is in the world do you have a police force dedicated to protecting you, the tourist, in addition to the regular police force ?

As Pedro mentions, there is more crime being reported over the last 8 years. There are also 3-4 more media organizations reporting it.

Whereas before, we had the Pattaya Mail, now we also have Pattaya Today, Pattaya People, Pattaya City News and others. Many report on the same stories (often with quite different details).

Plus some of them are also repeating their content on the TV. I saw one report on TV today, and it was a word for word exact copy of the printed report.

This can make it seem like there is a lot more going on than is truly the case.

We (the loyal members of the Pattaya Defence League, donations cheerfully accepted) have discussed this repeatedly in the past. :D

The increased media coverage of the same events, and the fact those media stories represent the vast majority of the news the expats/tourists see about the place, often gives a slanted view of the way things really are.

When you look at the print versions of those organizations, you realize that the criminal activity is only a tiny portion of the overall content, but it is the stuff that most often gets discussed.

Ah good. My bodyguards have just arrived with my armoured limo. I'm off for a quick trip to the corner market. If I survive without getting raped, robbed, or ripped off, I'll let you know !

Hi folks,

Knowing Thailand is a “save” place for all, I was reading on a Dutch forum that Pattaya was getting dangerously dangerous and maybe is already dangerous? And I’m talking (or they where!) murder, drugs, mafia’s, the big stuff!

Any comments, advice, agrees or disagrees?? :o

jimmy the phrase dangerously dangerous in itself is an over exageration of the state of crime in Pattaya.

Pattaya is a rapidly developing city and as the cash flows and people are attracted to the area then there will always be an element albeit a small element of criminals or chancers that are attracted here as well as they try to get a few free pickings.

As previously said the news media reorting on Pattaya does tend to dwell at times on the crime element and the impact which reporting crimes can achieve as this will always attract the attention of the public....however it is nice to see that one such media source whose boss is a member of TV seem to have recently broadened the reporting base and now offers more news articles on current happenings in Pattaya which are not of the criminal or seamier side.

As you have said jimmy Pattaya is far safer than most European cities....

Of course you have to be sensible, cautious and aware and if you are sensible then you should not have any problems....but if you let your guard down and do stupid things then the chances are that you will be caught out.

After all jimmy you would not expect to walk through the back streets of Amsterdam at 2.00a.m. in the morning without the possibility of being the subject of criminal activity.

So forget the over exagerations which you see on other sites, be sensible and enjoy Pattaya just like the rest of us. :D

Hi Jimmy, I have been coming to Pattaya for 15 years. It is no different this year to previous years as far as I can see. Last night I was at a party until 2.30 AM and walked around at that time without any problems. I wouldn't feel that comfortable walking around the streets of Sydney at 2.30 AM. As long as you play by the rules "pay your bins, don't sell drugs etc, be nice to the people" you will be ok. Enjoy fun city. :o

Hmm, why do you say this, I know we are not the most generous ($$$) foreigners. But do you think we are unfriendly or boring or gangsters or …

Maybe you can explain what’s wrong with us so I can correct myself, and what your nationality is!

Btw, I know that with all nationality there is good and bad, I’m talking in generally!

jimmy5L,

Jai Dee was not talking about you or the Dutch. He was subtly having a go at the forum members who use comments like yours (I was reading on a Dutch forum) to have a go at certain nationalities.

So, rest easy mate and think more about leaving your 1 baht gold chain at home than about nationalistic comments. :D

By the way, I think most of the crime that we "normal" folks have to worry about is opportunistic crimes, meaning bag snatches, gold necklace grabs and the likes. If you play it smart and don't flaunt your wealth, stay sober enough to remain in control all will be well.

jimmy5L,

Jai Dee was not talking about you or the Dutch. He was subtly having a go at the forum members who use comments like yours (I was reading on a Dutch forum) to have a go at certain nationalities.

The Dutch ?!?!? :D

The Dutch read forums ? I thought all they had were tulips and wooden shoes ! :D

Why would (wood ?) the Dutch read about Pattaya ? They've got Amsterdam with 3 types of prostitutes (he, she and undecided) plus drugs everywhere ! :D

Why would they want to leave home ?

Didn't Austin Powers "faudder" in Gold Member hate the Dutch ? I think he (Michael Caine) said "I hate intolerant people. And the Dutch."

Speaking of Amersterdam, the only time I've ever been mugged was in Amsterdam, two blocks from the hotel I was in, by Jamaican (Rastafarian) druggies. Managed to convince them that I only had like 2 guilders and some loose change in my pocket (this was back in 1984). They (3 of them :o ) wandered off to look for a richer target.

The last time I was stoned was in Amsterdam as well ! Same trip. Went into a club called the Bulldog (or was it the Milky Way). My 3 companions and I ended up getting stoned just off the smoke in the place, even though we didn't personally take or smoke anything. :D

Any ways. I've found Pattaya to be far safer than Amsterdam. :D

Edited by Kerryd

jimmy5L,

The Dutch read forums ? I thought all they had were tulips and wooden shoes ! :D

Why would (wood ?) the Dutch read about Pattaya ? They've got Amsterdam with 3 types of prostitutes (he, she and undecided) plus drugs everywhere ! :D

Didn't Austin Powers "faudder" in Gold Member hate the Dutch ? I think he (Michael Caine) said "I hate intolerant people. And the Dutch."

Speaking of Amersterdam, the only time I've ever been mugged was in Amsterdam, two blocks from the hotel I was in, by Jamaican (Rastafarian) druggies. Managed to convince them that I only had like 2 guilders and some loose change in my pocket (this was back in 1984). They (3 of them :D ) wandered off to look for a richer target.

The last time I was stoned was in Amsterdam as well ! Same trip. Went into a club called the Bulldog (or was it the Milky Way). My 3 companions and I ended up getting stoned just off the smoke in the place, even though we didn't personally take or smoke anything. :D

See... :D

Although it did take longer than I thought it would... :o

P.gif

Sheesh, I do have other things to do once in awhile you know ! :D

(OK, I lied. I don't have any thing else to do. I was just too lazy to respond earlier) :D

jimmy5L,

Speaking of Amersterdam, the only time I've ever been mugged was in Amsterdam, two blocks from the hotel I was in, by Jamaican (Rastafarian) druggies. Managed to convince them that I only had like 2 guilders and some loose change in my pocket (this was back in 1984). They (3 of them :D ) wandered off to look for a richer target.

To be able to read a Dutch forum you must be able to read Dutch, not?

Not many non Dutch read Dutch! (Except some Belgians and south Afrikaans!) Right?

I’m Dutch and I don’t have a go on any certain nationalities, OK? (at least not this time!)

All I said was that I was reading about more big crime (murder etc…) in PTY, and wanted to know what other non Dutch thought about this, OK?

BTW, the remarks like:

Quote: The Dutch read forms? Hmm, you think we are too stupid to read??

Quote: I thought all they had were tulips and wooden shoes! Hmm, you think we are from some third world country or what??

The remarks off powers and caine where not very nice either! (you know what caine did the lost time he was in Holland?)

Maybe you don’t know but there is more to do in Holland then “smoke dope” and being “stoned” all day! (but this might be a bit to difficult to understand for you!)

Like I said, I know Thailand and Pattaya are safer, I only wanted an opinion from others about the situation!

There does seem to be a high murder rate in Pattaya considering its very low population level relative to other low population cities aound the world- you only have to read pages 3 to 5 of the local papers to see this. And the murders are often gruesome, some which would make headline news in some national papers in some countries. But, it does seem to be mainly Thai or they are mafia related. I have been out in some Thai places on Third Road and I have actually witnessed on two occasions when some Thai men with exceptionally short fuses drew guns over the smallest and stupidist of arguments, when they were 'whiskied up'. But, for people that keep there head down and don't get caught up in mafia and don't get involved in drunken arguments with Thais or who manage to somehow control agression in messy relationships with girlfriends, then Pattaya is relatively safe in my opinion. Try walking through a town centre in the UK on a friday or saturday night and you'll see things kicking off all the time. Try going into a take away and standing in the queue around pub closing time. There are groups of lads itching for an opprotunity to kick things off.

For most of us, Pattaya is a luxury compared to this. Apart from the young Thai lads on motorbikes to avoid at night, and a few lady-boys, it's pretty safe here.

Beach road 4oclock in the morning, safe as houses.

Sorry I forgot they get burgled now.

Pattaya not as safe as it was a few years back.

It does make me think about moving away form the place some times.

But I love the night life, so i stay.

I don?t need to earn an income from the town so I don?t feel the need to defend it to much. Like some do. Crime is on the up and thats not good for the place.

It?s a shame.

:o

Like I said, I know Thailand and Pattaya are safer, I only wanted an opinion from others about the situation!

Obviously the humour of my post went right over your head, and you seemed to have missed all the smileys that went with my comments.

And if you go back and read my first reply in this thread, you'll see that I did give an opinion on the matter.

Have a nice day.

There does seem to be a high murder rate in Pattaya considering its very low population level relative to other low population cities aound the world- you only have to read pages 3 to 5 of the local papers to see this. And the murders are often gruesome, some which would make headline news in some national papers in some countries. But, it does seem to be mainly Thai or they are mafia related. I have been out in some Thai places on Third Road and I have actually witnessed on two occasions when some Thai men with exceptionally short fuses drew guns over the smallest and stupidist of arguments, when they were 'whiskied up'. But, for people that keep there head down and don't get caught up in mafia and don't get involved in drunken arguments with Thais or who manage to somehow control agression in messy relationships with girlfriends, then Pattaya is relatively safe in my opinion. Try walking through a town centre in the UK on a friday or saturday night and you'll see things kicking off all the time. Try going into a take away and standing in the queue around pub closing time. There are groups of lads itching for an opprotunity to kick things off.

For most of us, Pattaya is a luxury compared to this. Apart from the young Thai lads on motorbikes to avoid at night, and a few lady-boys, it's pretty safe here.

Have enjoyed reading some of the tongue in cheek posts in this thread, of course there is crime in paters, but compared to brisbane or the sunshine coast the crime rate is negligable, there were more robbery murder victims in outer brisbane last year than in in pattaya, and the attacks here were more heinous because most of them were attacks on the elderly, robbery and murder aint just a thai thing, its a worldwide fact of life, just a case of where ever you are, keep you wits about you and keep your hands on your halfpenny :o Nignoy

[there were more robbery murder victims in outer brisbane last year than in in pattaya, and the attacks here were more heinous because most of them were attacks on the elderly, robbery and murder aint just a thai thing, its a worldwide fact of life, ]

Nignoy, the population of Brisbane is nearly two million and the population Pattaya is about one hundred thousand, so there will be more murders in Brisbane, but relative to per capita population I suspect the murders in Pattaya are much higher - for such a small seaside town. Some of the grueosme murders that you read about on a weekly basis in Pattaya Trader and Pattaya Mail would make national news in Australia. Nevertheless, for those who keep there wits about them, I agree there is not the same anti-social behaviour that you get in other countries on a riday or Saturday night.