Electric Wires Running Through The Middle Of My Land

I leased a piece of land with many big trees, had them trimed back only to find phone and electric line running right through the middle of the property. Thai owner saids they were installed 20 years ago to provide services for the 5 houses in the back of the property. My question is can I make the electric and phone company redirect them? Will they try to charge me?There is pleanty of other areas the lines can come in from to service the back houses. There is nouthing on the land chanot that saids the lines are there. Any help would really be appricated.

I think that since you are only leasing the land you have no right to have the wires moved at all....unless its covered in your lease. If the wires are not moved you might claim that the useable area you are leasing is reduced so you should get a reduction in rent....this might stimulate the owner to get them moved to keep the rent up.

Moving the power lines is going to involve shutting off the power upstream of the cables, so its a job for the local power company.

The phone lines are not so problematic, you should of course get the phone company to move them, but equally, with a bit of sneaky planning and the help of someone with wiring experience, you could make the move without the user or company ever knowing.

I'd start by deciding exactly what route you want the cables to take, if the route is entirely within the plot you are leasing then you at least have control over getting permission.

Talk to the leesor and get an agreement to the change or route, installation of poles etc. Then talk to the electric company to ask them to make the move for you.

A couple of special payments ought to do the trick, and if you are lucky you might be able to get the Power Company wiremen to move the phone cable for you too. (Perhaps coming back after working hours for a private job).

I guess I would really like to know the legal aspects, As I want to build a 2 story house but cannot with power lines in my way. My thinking is the power company and phone are going to want big money. Is it really true that the only way would be to pay out big money? Is it legal for them to have run the lines through the property to begin with. Would they not have to have an easement in writing from the land ower? I think the land owner will try to help but certainly will not pay a single Baht to redirect the lines. I can see Baht eyes in all the people involved land owner, elec. and phone company. What if I cut down a big tree and let it take out a few poles and the lines will they insist on running them across the land again unless there all paid big money?

If the landlord backs you up on this change I think that you will have to pay to have the power lines relocated. Around here the electrical utility is fair about their charges...they go by a flat rate fee for each pole needed and the amount of wire etc. Once the electricity is moved, based on my experience in my village which is very rural...you could go buy the wire you need to reroute the phone lines and just do it yourself using the same path and poles as the electric lines. Around here you can move phone lines yourself and noone...not even the phone company bats an eye.....you just go buy the wire and the brackets to use at the poles...grab a ladder...and have at it. One of my phones is registered at my mother in laws house and originally was located there but at some point got rerouted some 400 metres or so to my neighbor's house who used it for awhile but then they decided they didn't want it anymore (got a mobile) so we wired it over to our house. About 4 months later there was a problem with the wire and a phone company lineman came out and checked the entire line from mom's house to our house and fixed the problem...nothing was said about the rerouting...there was no charge for the service....and the lineman knew full well that the phone had been moved to a farang's house....no problem...at least here in my village.

Thank you for your help thus far. I still would like to know the legal aspect. Also does anyone know the charge from pole to pole. If they put in under the ground it would only be about 40 meters from pole to pole anyone no the cost of running the wires under ground? I really would like to be able to tell the 5 other home owners to get there wires redirected as its there lines going through my leased property, which is a long term lease paid up front.

Thank you for your help thus far. I still would like to know the legal aspect. Also does anyone know the charge from pole to pole. If they put in under the ground it would only be about 40 meters from pole to pole anyone no the cost of running the wires under ground? I really would like to be able to tell the 5 other home owners to get there wires redirected as its there lines going through my leased property, which is a long term lease paid up front.

Who ran the existing lines?...the power and phone companies?...or the individuals receiving the services? What I'm wondering is are these legitimate installations or are they do it yourself projects?

Ask the owner if they gave the power company permission.

If owner says yes then you will have to foot the bill entirely.

If owner says no then (with the owner's permission) go tell the power company you have a lease and permission and want them to move the power line.

If power co. says ok, they'll move it...you are home free.

If power co. claims to have permission for existing location then you either need a lawyer or you will have to foot the bill yourself......

After 20 years of the lines being in place it seems to me that permission has been implied by the owner's silence on the matter so to me it seems like you will have to foot the bill even if permission was not given and you get a lawyer.

I'd go look to see what is the easiest way to get the power to the 5 houses....maybe power lines have approached them form another direction..........then go talk to the power company (clear this with the owner first) and have them come out and look over the situation...be sure they tell you when they will go to look at it so you can go with them......when they go out to look you can suggest what you think is best or if its obvious what is the best alternative let them suggest it and then you can agree with them and ask for what the charges would be for each pole installed and per metre of wire installed...etc.

This is all my opinion based on what I've seen happen in my village so it might not apply to your situation. My experience is that the power company has fixed fees for installing poles and lines so I don't think they'll rip you off...but I could be wrong.

No, I think you are right Chownah. We have the same situation next door, there is no easement granted, just the right to run the poles through the property. Our neighbor agreed to it about 16 years ago (we all did, they had to get permission to put the poles in) and now he want to build on that property. Moving the poles is his responsibility and his cost.

Quick edit, he is footing the power company's bill to move the poles, he is not moving them himself.

Send the power company a loverly letter saying that you are the leasee and request that they start paying their share of the rent. About 1/4 of the gross rent should cover it as the power lines severly reduces the intended purpose of the property. You might want to point out that the properties fed by the undesirable power route can now get power from a different substation. (If ths is the case)

Might not get you very far but fun to watch the hornets nest it stirs up. :o

Send the power company a loverly letter saying that you are the leasee and request that they start paying their share of the rent. About 1/4 of the gross rent should cover it as the power lines severly reduces the intended purpose of the property. You might want to point out that the properties fed by the undesirable power route can now get power from a different substation. (If ths is the case)

Might not get you very far but fun to watch the hornets nest it stirs up. :o

I doubt it would stir up anything.....they would probably just send someone who wants to practice their English around to talk to you about it.

The electric company would not put power poles through someones land without the owners permission. I doubt you, as a lessor, would have any influence on this matter since the permission was granted long before you even arrived on the scene.

Buckle up, and pay for the move.

Will I have to pay to have them redirected?

No, most likely the villagers will have symapthy in your plight and have a whip round to help the rich farang. :o

So did you REALLY lease a piece of land with ELECTRICITY cables running across and you REALISED AFTER THE LEASE WAS SIGNED?????

Som nam na farang ba

I leased a piece of land with many big trees, had them trimed back only to find phone and electric line running right through the middle of the property. Thai owner saids they were installed 20 years ago to provide services for the 5 houses in the back of the property. My question is can I make the electric and phone company redirect them? Will they try to charge me?There is pleanty of other areas the lines can come in from to service the back houses. There is nouthing on the land chanot that saids the lines are there. Any help would really be appricated.

You should have got a home inspector to check the land before you leased it.

PM me for a recommendation [EDIT: URL edited out, no commercial links allowed, please use the PM system. :o /Meadish]