Chevrolet Recall in Pattaya

childintime

I got my Toyota 2 months ago, and I am quite happy with my choice. The last one was an Opel Astra Caravan, which lasted 15 years and clocked 250,000 kms. Now performing duty in a temple as a donation. But that was no GM construction...

Here is some more info on this:

Chevrolet Recalls 23,552 Captiva SUVs In Thailand

General Motors’ ongoing recalls have affected vehicles all over the globe, not just in North America.
The latest safety measure being taken is for an issue with Theta-based Captiva SUVs in Thailand. The recall comes soon after the company recalled 2,000 Chevrolet Spin mini SUVs for faulty fuel tank ventilation nipples and a faulty fuse box seal in the country.
The problem: The cars may be equipped with a seatbelt assembly that was not tightened enough during the manufacturing process.
Vehicles affected: 2011-2014 Chevrolet Captiva SUVs.
Number of vehicles being recalled: 23,532 Captivas in Thailand are affected.
The fix: This recall won’t cost Chevrolet any money in parts, as the bolts on the seatbelt assembly simply need to be inspected and tightened if they are found to be too loose. Dealers will contact owners notifying them of the recall. Chevrolet says the fix will only take a few minutes and will be completed free of charge.
  • Like 1

Please don't place your expectation too high. This is Thailand, a long that never learn or listen. Everything here is FACE. Any dealership of Chevrolet that started to call customers for this"RECALL" would feel they are an idiot because the sales would be affected. To the extreme end, they might start to call customers if just one of the car is exploded!

• Like 1

...........who's to say Chevrolet failed to announce the recall......and not the dealer.......or dealer association.......for whatever reason...

.......it seems like the dealer was withholding the information the way you explained it...

• Like 2

Bought my Chev Cruze a little over two years ago in Lampang. Had a gear recall within the first year of having the car. After 2 years the rubber both electronic keys had disintegrated. Took the keys into the dealership only to be told I would need to have the whole locking system replaced for over 5000 baht. Two years and both keys!!! Wrote a letter to the head office. Was told over the phone "can't claim" My letter had asked for comments and had not requested a claim. So one letter and no written response. I had one last go, sending another letter... call on the phone again (can't Chev write letters?). We can give you five percent off.

I will not buy another car from chev. The company cares little or nothing about its customers.

Please do not buy Chev. You have been warned.

• Like 1

I bought my Captiva about 14 months ago. Early this year we had some issue with lights on the dash and we took it to the dealership. It was put on the back of a truck and sent to Bangkok(about) 600kms. They had to replace wiring for the computer system and Chev were not letting the dealerships fix the problem.

Also the dealership called us about a seatbelt issue a few months later. Apparently the belts in the Captiva are not properly bolted to the floor.

A friend bought the 2011 model Cruze and she have had many problems with it.

The first 1 1/2 year it was for repair 10 times. Mainly gearbox problems and oil leak, but also electrical malfunction. Every time it was repaired, the problems returned after a month or so.

She tried to sell it after 2 years, but no used car dealer wanted to buy it.

The Chevrolet dealer has now extended the guaranty from 3 to 4 years.

TiT. This would not happen in the US where the ownership of GM and therefore Chevy is. There are too many consumer protection laws.

You would get a letter and a phone call from the parent company. It would go into a database. If you didn't bring it in within a certain amount of time you would get another letter and phone call.

They would come and get the car if you couldn't bring it in.

They would loan you a car while they had yours if it was going to take more than an hour or two.

But the US is the land of consumer protection AND the land of lawsuits. I know a guy who a number of years ago had his family killed by an exploding gas tank when their car was rear-ended. He wasn't in the car. He got an award of US$10 million dollars for the loss of his family due to negligence of the manufacturer.

This kind of award is called punitive damages. It's designed to send a message to anyone watching not to do the same thing. It's an amount well beyond what would be considered actual damages.

It doesn't take many of those to wake a company up.

• Like 1

Bought my Chev Cruze a little over two years ago in Lampang. Had a gear recall within the first year of having the car. After 2 years the rubber both electronic keys had disintegrated. Took the keys into the dealership only to be told I would need to have the whole locking system replaced for over 5000 baht. Two years and both keys!!! Wrote a letter to the head office. Was told over the phone "can't claim" My letter had asked for comments and had not requested a claim. So one letter and no written response. I had one last go, sending another letter... call on the phone again (can't Chev write letters?). We can give you five percent off.

I will not buy another car from chev. The company cares little or nothing about its customers.

When I had a small problem I wrote to HONDA JAPAN about a Thai made car, I got a letter back full of apology and then a phone call from Honda Thailand requesting if they could come and see me in person to apologise.

• Like 1

Off subject I did the same with my new lazy boy soffa bought in Bankok shukumvit after 2 months of use the recliner wents clonk and couldnt be reset back to the sitting position.

So I called bangkok and asked to come and fix it after 2 weeks some one arrived and said oh we have to take it to our factory which by the way was not far from my home in Chonburi but it would take 2 months to fix it due to the floods around that time.

Any how I had had enough with this crap so I emailed there head office in the USA and gave them the total rundown of the times and dates of the event. Boy did that get some action the sofa arrived with in the next 4 days along with a call from there top guy in Thailand who also sent me a very nice lazy boy real leather carrier bag which is still used to day.

Also they put the right heavy duty bearings in my sofa this time and 3 years later no problems (touch wood )

So you see go to the top and make them see what goes on over here.whistling.gif

Edited by whiteman

Hey folks, TIT, a third world country. you are not in your home country. You will find this situation at all dealerships. Not all dealers all the time, mind you, but most dealers most of the time.

I have a Captiva, always take it to the dealer for scheduled service. They apply the recall fixes, I pick it up - no problems. There is really no need to know every single detail about everything they fix. You know the recalls have been applied - that's enough. Again TIT, get over yourself or you'll be constantly complaining.

To write off a complete manufacturer because of the way a dealership acts in Thailand is nuts.

But YOU just said you find this at all dealerships

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A few years ago I was visiting Sydney, Australia. I had hired a car from Avis - it turned out to be a Cruze... by the time I had driven around half way to the city from the airport (a few kilometers), I had decided to get rid of it - what a piece of junk - it drove badly, had no power, and was truly gutless.

When I took it to Avis and told them it was crap, the guy agreed, and told me that almost all the people who had hired one, ended up either taking it back to exchange, or had complained loudly about it being such a dreadful vehicle.

I happened to mention to some colleagues at the office in Sydney about this, and one of my friends told me that he had ended up with one that he too had taken back as it was so bad.

The result is that I would never consider even hiring one again, never mind buying one...

Hey folks, TIT, a third world country. you are not in your home country. You will find this situation at all dealerships. Not all dealers all the time, mind you, but most dealers most of the time.

I have a Captiva, always take it to the dealer for scheduled service. They apply the recall fixes, I pick it up - no problems. There is really no need to know every single detail about everything they fix. You know the recalls have been applied - that's enough. Again TIT, get over yourself or you'll be constantly complaining.

To write off a complete manufacturer because of the way a dealership acts in Thailand is nuts.

I sent two letters to the head of country and didn't get a written response. Fair to write them off yet. To have a culture from the top down of a total lack of respect for the customer. Write, wrote, written off off off

TiT. This would not happen in the US where the ownership of GM and therefore Chevy is.

Wasn't it GM US that was in the news lately because they ignored to replace a switch which costed only a few $ and which caused many deaths for that reason.

I think that is also one of the main reason why it is now called " new GM" isn't it?

I just had a reply from Chevrolet regarding the gasoline that they took out of the existing tank before it was replaced:

"Regarding your residual fuel in the tank before the dealer had changed the tank, we will coordinate with the dealer for checking the practice. Actually in term of the technical practicing, whenever we remove and change any of the liquid system components we always avoid to back fill all the residual liquids back into the new system or components which we don’t ensure that whether the residual liquids are in good condition or pure enough to suit to the new environment. It will again, high possibility, create the new improper problem on top. Then, we have to trade-off something for the other better thing.

Sorry for any inconvenience may occur, hopefully you can enjoy driving with Chevy product."

So, basically what they are saying as they take away all the fuel when they change the tanks - they do not put it back as it may be impure! My question is what the hell do they do with all the fuel that they collect. I know too well they won't discard it - I've been here almost 12 years to understand how they work. Had they informed us that they were going to change the fuel tank and not replace any fuel that is was in it, we would not have filled it up! To me, this is indirect theft! And, what are they going to do about it... absolutely nothing. It is unfortunate that everyone tires of banging their heads against a brick wall when it comes to trying to stand up for any kind of rights we may or may not have. I sincerely believe that this is the reason why Thailand will never move forward, as we accept the losing face excuse as a bonafide reason not to deliver something which would be a normal expectation in a civilized society.

I just had a reply from Chevrolet regarding the gasoline that they took out of the existing tank before it was replaced:

"Regarding your residual fuel in the tank before the dealer had changed the tank, we will coordinate with the dealer for checking the practice. Actually in term of the technical practicing, whenever we remove and change any of the liquid system components we always avoid to back fill all the residual liquids back into the new system or components which we don’t ensure that whether the residual liquids are in good condition or pure enough to suit to the new environment. It will again, high possibility, create the new improper problem on top. Then, we have to trade-off something for the other better thing.

Sorry for any inconvenience may occur, hopefully you can enjoy driving with Chevy product."

So, basically what they are saying as they take away all the fuel when they change the tanks - they do not put it back as it may be impure! My question is what the hell do they do with all the fuel that they collect. I know too well they won't discard it - I've been here almost 12 years to understand how they work. Had they informed us that they were going to change the fuel tank and not replace any fuel that is was in it, we would not have filled it up! To me, this is indirect theft! And, what are they going to do about it... absolutely nothing. It is unfortunate that everyone tires of banging their heads against a brick wall when it comes to trying to stand up for any kind of rights we may or may not have. I sincerely believe that this is the reason why Thailand will never move forward, as we accept the losing face excuse as a bonafide reason not to deliver something which would be a normal expectation in a civilized society.

They are correct..................