Phuket authorities ‘doing nothing about jet-ski rips offs’ – Hon Con

Lite Beer

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mafia Dons on the island letting their bastion of children do whatever they will... Hmmmm...

With that kind of power and influence on these islands (and there is no mistaking their power and influence anymore), one wonders if they are even powerful and influential enough to affect the written results of DNA tests.

Nahhh! I didn't think so.

What I find a bit strange and unusual are the posters that think the PM is going to step in on this all important issue affecting the nation. This would be like asking Putin to step into a small mafia stranglehold in St Petersburg or Obama to get involved with the blood and crips in south central Los Angeles. Sure the local cops/thugs are in on it and something should be done about it, but it's up to the local cop shop/gov't authorities to stop the scams and apparently there are hundreds of thousands of reasons why they don't ( it's all about the baht lining their pockets).

ChrisY1, on 22 Nov 2014 - 17:56, said:

As it has always been...a thorough disgrace which goes all the way to the top of the crooked authorities that manage Phuket.........

Soon the beach vendors and umbrella mafia will be back too!....

I will never go back there..........!!

So many blame only the authorities on Phuket, but let's face it, this problem goes all the way to the top, it is also endemic to all of Thailand. Those at the top know of the problems, on Phuket, but like all others, whether red, yellow or military, they ALL fail to do anything about it... I wonder why. We know in the past that no governor passes any complaints, from the honorary consuls, up the ladder, in fact we do know, from previous interviews, that the previous, useless governor, edited/censored the reports, before sending them off, I suspect we will see the same useless governing from the present governor.

Sparkles, on 22 Nov 2014 - 18:53, said:

Of course nothing will be done. The only hope is that travel web sites will highlight this on going scam loud and clear as will travel agents and tour guides although they are probably in on the

scam too.What a country ! I thought 15 years ago when I first arrived some progress v corruption may have been made in fact just the opposite and frankly the majority of Thais don't really care.

Seriously, do you really expect travel agents to put customer off... get real, this would reduce their own profits, as well as their free holidays.

skippy, on 22 Nov 2014 - 19:52, said:

If you chaps do not like the rule of law in Thailand then leave.

Oh dear... "skippy" by name and as much brains as one. You certainly do fit in well with Thailand...you know, those who were never taught to think but repeat ad nauseum, some dopey comment... unable to think for themselves.

Google Thailand jet ski scam or Grand Palace scam and you can spend days reading all the reports over and over in media all over the world.

In SOME places the tourism authority might actually notice that the scams are likely causing xx number of people to avoid the place...and the tourism authority might actually make some noise with the various government agencies....sad to say that IF IF the TAT has done one thing about the scams then I have yet to read about it. Perhaps it's the old don't rock the boat or mess with someone elses rrice bowl? Or perhaps they are also afraid for their lives of the mafia powers that control it all.

How long would it take to shut down both the jet skis and the grand palace scammers IF anyone really wanted to do so? Probably less than a week.

Tourists are to blame for hiring them in the first place. Stop hiring them and starve them them off the beach.

Used to be that a sucker was born every minute but now its more like every second.

So business like this can continue for ever.

Agreed. The world seems to create them and ship 'em off to the Land of Scams faster than they can be warned off. Sad for the victims, but something that hopefully keeps the scammers concentrated in Phuket so they leave the rest of us relatively unmolested.

Perhaps somebody in the area should surreptitiously create some local fly publicity. I think guerrilla media tactics are called for!

What for? Who gives a <removed>. Noisy polluting dangerously ridden by usually pissed up tourists wanting to 'enjoy their holiday' with neither care nor regard for all the other tourists wanting to enjoy their holiday.<removed> 'em. There's been enough publicity about this and there are far more important things to get your knickers in a twist about here. Every time scams are mentioned on this forum, top of the list are the jetskis. Why? You rent them? Like sheep you are saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCd.gif Martin Carpenter's a nice guy but he really should focus his attention elsewhere.

BTW Long time ago I used to rent a bungalow in Karon, the owners' of which used to fire their bloody jetskis up every morning before taking them out to fleece the dicks who rented them. They regularly came home of an evening laughing about how much money they'd made that day. Don't know if they paid what passes for 'the authorities' there, didn't say. But the jetskis definitely belonged to them. Bloody things. Ban them. Problem solved so won't happen in the land of 'how much will this 'ploblem' cost me'.

• Like 1

I also like this guy as well, but we all know that he is just the minority, and a "farang"

that has no say in what Phuket and Thailand do.

I have never been to Phuket, but if i ever do, i just make myself aware of the scam's/ scum, that are there.

Just like i do in any other part of thailand.

If you want these scam's to stop....don't allow your self to fall victim to them,

and inform family and friends back home of these things here.

Tourists are to blame for hiring them in the first place. Stop hiring them and starve them them off the beach.

Better still, just stay away from Phuket!!!! What goes around comes again. Maybe someone higher than us was warning Phuket with the last TSUNAMI!!

blink.pngbah.gifsad.pngw00t.gif

This is the day of the internet. This information needs to be sent to travel agents all over the world. If nobody rents these jet skis the will either disapear or will be controlled properly. I have lived in Thailand for 29 years and have never felt the need to be ripped off by these mafia types. Malaysia puts "Drugs are Death" on their Visas, maybe it is time for a warning about jet skies in the same manner or something like that.

This is the day of the internet. This information needs to be sent to travel agents all over the world. If nobody rents these jet skis the will either disapear or will be controlled properly. I have lived in Thailand for 29 years and have never felt the need to be ripped off by these mafia types. Malaysia puts "Drugs are Death" on their Visas, maybe it is time for a warning about jet skies in the same manner or something like that.

....and if it were (sent to TAs all over the world), I doubt it would go much further. Travel agents are not in the business of dissuading potential clients from their contemplated vacation trips. If local authorities aren't disposed to its eradication, it's likely to just continue. Sadly, it's now just part of the "Thailand experience".

all the scams should be told by travel agents, and today ''all' is the same as ''one'' via the travel agents issueing a warning, its simply a click of the button basically that somebody at the top needs to put on all packages sold to Thailand to protect tourist.

the jet ski scam isn't the jewelry scam in Bangkok, if tourist go to the country in the winter to take sun and some beach a little jet skiing isn't that out of the ordinairy, an a jet ski ride cost them not just the 1000 baht it cost to rent ( not sure the actualy cost) but ends up costing them a 1000 usd then that's a pretty big phuck job, a little heads up is really quite a nice piece of customer service for spending what is today 1400 for a ticket to begin with just to visit and not to much to ask from most travel agents.

Edited by Leviathan

....and if it were (sent to TAs all over the world), I doubt it would go much further. Travel agents are not in the business of dissuading potential clients from their contemplated vacation trips. If local authorities aren't disposed to its eradication, it's likely to just continue. Sadly, it's now just part of the "Thailand experience".

Of course TAs "are not in the business of dissuading potential clients..." but they should recognise good business practice (and their social responsibility) of providing a written warning about scams (not only in Thailand) when tickets/itineraries are issued to the NOW client. Maybe the TAs would engender a better relationship with their clients for future business and referrals?

Not rocket science coffee1.gif

I agree but its a really difficult message to communicate. No tour operator is going to tell the truth about the jet skis, taxis or any other scams as it is hardly good practice to paint this picture when you are trying to sell holidays.

You can't put up signs because they will be torn down of course so what do you do? Well you protest the government and they seem to do nothing..

Eventually people resort to social media and networking which is the general publics freedom nowadays to apply pressure.

It makes me laugh when the government want to silence people talking badly about Thailand as it can effect business, tourism etc but when somethings wrong they do nothing about it. so it ends up becoming a big issue on Facebook or wherever which of course the Thai government absolutely hates and complains about,,,

Everyone has a smartphone. Every smartphone has a camera. Why don't people who want to rent jet skis from these bottom dwelling mouth breathers make a nice video covering every inch of the jetski, top, sides, bottom (just pull it over) with the renter in the video pointing out every single tick and scratch.

Then when you bring it back and dude claims it's scratched, compare the "new" scratch to the video.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'd guess he's lived here longer than you. I first met him back in 2001 if I recall correctly

Did he really expect any action, how long has he lived in Thailand, he should know better

Martin has been in Phuket since the very early 90's - first running the Blue Canyon Country Club as GM. He was awarded the MBE by Her Majesty The Queen for his contribution after the Asian Tsunami. He married to Singaporean Lillian and they have kids, he's worked tirelessly and mostly without thanks for the good of UK citizens visiting and living in Phuket without complaint and still maintains a single figure golf handicap. Sings a great version of Paul Anka's "I don't want to sleep alone". In short - he's salt of the earth.

Here's an article from 2010

british.jpg

"He has spent the past 25 years working in the hospitality industry in Qatar, Jersey in the Channel Islands, Papua New Guinea and Hong Kong until he arrived in Phuket 17 years ago."

Martin Carpenter is a busy man; as Honorary Consul his work falls into two main areas covering Notary Services (official support letters for British nationals) and Distressed British National (DBN) services that cover everything from tourist guidance to victims of crime, accidents and everything in between. It is estimated that there are currently around 5000 British nationals resident in Phuket and this figure is greatly increased by visiting tourists. Being Honorary Consul here is therefore a big job to take on, so why did he welcome this demanding role? “Because I can do it” he says “I am task oriented and the demands of the job play to my strengths”. Calm confidence indeed but more than justified by his growing reputation as a caring and capable ambassador for the UK.

Martin came to Phuket 17 years ago, after years of experience in the hospitality industry, during his time here he has held the top position at Blue Canyon Golf & Country Club, opening GM for the Evason Resort and several years at Phuket Land Search. A contented man, Martin has no plans to leave Phuket and explains, “The whole family loves the smaller, close-knit community of island life and the great environment and friendly people, which really do make Phuket the world’s best destination.”

Martin is quick to emphasise that his role needs support from all sections of the community and acknowledges the strong group that surrounds him. His lovely wife Lillian (Resort Manager of Dewa Resort) and 9 year old son Leon are his biggest fans and are very understanding of the many and varied demands upon his time. British Ambassador Mr. Quinton Quayle, HM Consul Gordon MacLeod and all the embassy staff offer constant guidance, local people in the hospitals and other services, including Tim Gardener, Alistair Why and Kevin Moss from the Phuket Immigration and Kathu Police volunteer unit all give invaluable assistance. Valued Thai mentors and friends have also been constantly supportive.

Martin strongly believes in giving back to the community and he works tirelessly for many charities in Phuket. His skills as a public speaker also make him much in demand
as MC and auctioneer for many local charity events. During his time at the Blue Canyon Golf and Country Club he co-founded the Childwatch Charity Golf Tournament, which has already raised over 10 million Baht to provide shelter and care for Phuket’s needy children. He was also Chairman of the British Business Association of Phuket when the tsunami devastated large areas of Phuket’s west coast in December 2004. His organisational skills were put into high gear at that difficult time and his achievements as a compassionate community leader were recognised when he was awarded the highly prestigious MBE (Member of the British Empire) by HM Queen Elizabeth II in December 2005.

Even with such a busy schedule Martin still finds time to pursue his keen love of golf and even manages to keep a single figure handicap. This charismatic Honorary Consul has taken multi-tasking to new heights.

Of course TAs "are not in the business of dissuading potential clients..." but they should recognise good business practice (and their social responsibility) of providing a written warning about scams (not only in Thailand) when tickets/itineraries are issued to the NOW client. Maybe the TAs would engender a better relationship with their clients for future business and referrals?

There'll be the rare conscientious one who knows & shares, but in the main 'not gonna' happen. Besides, if somebody goes on vacation and gets scammed (or robbed, or cheated by a local, or whatever...), who's really going to blame the travel agent?

There'll be the rare conscientious one who knows & shares, but in the main 'not gonna' happen. Besides, if somebody goes on vacation and gets scammed (or robbed, or cheated by a local, or whatever...), who's really going to blame the travel agent?

I am interested in finding a way for it to work NOT why it cannot work. But following up on your thoughts, then each and everyone of us should "boycott" the travel agents who cannot or will not give advice, tell your friends and family NOT to use the travel agency. And use social media to get the message out there about the "couldn't care less" travel agencies! The internet can be powerful if used to get meaningful, best outcomes!

I was nearly rolled by a large worldwide travel agent many years ago and never went back (actually ended up doing all my own bookings, online - better accommodation and airfares for my budget) and was happy to tell all and sundry about the experience.

I am interested in finding a way for it to work NOT why it cannot work. But following up on your thoughts, then each and everyone of us should "boycott" the travel agents who cannot or will not give advice, tell your friends and family NOT to use the travel agency. And use social media to get the message out there about the "couldn't care less" travel agencies! The internet can be powerful if used to get meaningful, best outcomes!

I was nearly rolled by a large worldwide travel agent many years ago and never went back (actually ended up doing all my own bookings, online - better accommodation and airfares for my budget) and was happy to tell all and sundry about the experience.

It's a big world, with lots of bad stuff going on in it. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect a TA to know all about the jet-ski scam in Phuket, the secret gem shops & closed temple scams in Bangkok, the cash-exchange rip-offs in Manila, the pickpockets in Madrid, the gypsy-kid gangs in Rome, etc., etc., etc. I would agree that doing our bit to spread the word on social media sites & whatnot is in order, and you would think that with the Internet so readily available the word would get out, but if a traveler isn't going to bother digging at least a little before visiting places for the first time - and so many apparently don't - then I just don't see how the scamming ever gets crushed. Thailand has got to want to eradicate them in its own best interests; and it just doesn't care.

It's a big world, with lots of bad stuff going on in it. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect a TA to know all about the jet-ski scam in Phuket, the secret gem shops & closed temple scams in Bangkok, the cash-exchange rip-offs in Manila, the pickpockets in Madrid, the gypsy-kid gangs in Rome, etc., etc., etc. I would agree that doing our bit to spread the word on social media sites & whatnot is in order, and you would think that with the Internet so readily available the word would get out, but if a traveler isn't going to bother digging at least a little before visiting places for the first time - and so many apparently don't - then I just don't see how the scamming ever gets crushed. Thailand has got to want to eradicate them in its own best interests; and it just doesn't care.

Yes, only Thailand can STOP the scammers but the rest of us (travellers and TAs) can minimise the incidences of these types of scams by advising travellers before hand what to look out for. I find it hard to believe that TAs are not aware of many scams that go on in Thailand or elsewhere. This is the age of instant communication - lets use it! Find a reason to do it NOT find a reason why it cannot be done.