How Do You Like your Pick Up Truck And How Reliable Is It?

lostinisaan

G'afternoon,

My Mitsubishi L 200 Strada with the 2.8 liter engine and all extras that were available at this time, is now already 16 years old.

I've got 262,450 km on the clock and still got my first clutch, alternator and rear brake shoes/ brake cylinders. The engine is running like a Swiss clockwork, as I change the oil, inclusive filter every 5,000 km.

I had to replace the timing chain twice, the water pump, as well as my battery thrice.

Master and slave clutch cylinder once and I only had to replace the front brake pads twice, changed the front brake disks, overhauled the Diesel pump plus injectors once, and I'm quite happy with the quality, performance and reliability of this truck.

The whole car was rebuilt after an accident and i had a Ford pick-up and a Toyota Vigo from the insurance company. When driving the Ford, I felt i was in a tank, as noice came from almost everywhere. The Toyota had ABS, but I never really liked driving it. Too much plastic around me.

The only negative aspect might be the Diesel consumption, which is 10 liters on 100 km.

I always use my gears to brake down speed as well, by switching down to a lower gear. I thought that would wear of my clutch faster, but I'm surprised that I still got my first clutch.

I would certainly appreciate any comments of pick up truck owners, regarding reliability.I drove the Triton quite a few times, but always glad to sit in my truck again.

post-158336-0-23018100-1416646659_thumb.

My Izuzu D Max is 11 tears old now, I've had it 5 years and it's never missed a beat. Except for a new battery every couple of years and the aircon regassed it's been a gem. Still only got 110,000klms on the clock.

Had this Nissan 4WD for 8 years, 4 new tires and a battery, best pick up I have ever owned. Was purchased brand new and had the oil and filter changed every 6 months.

MyTruck003_zps98b99b8f.jpg

Not even new brake disks/ pads/ shoes? Timing belt, other belts? I personally prefer a Mitsubishi. A car mechanic who works for Nissan Sisaket once told me that the engines are quite good, but not the rest.

Others might be more knowledgeable. What happened? Did you sell it to buy another one, or just ran out of cash?.

My Isuzu Cab4 3 liter has 186,000 km on it, 6 yo. No brake change, 2 tires changed because I punctured the sidewalls.

I had a mirror and a vacuum pump replaced under warranty. Oil is changed by the dealer at the recommended time. 10,000 km. Still uses fuel at the same rate. Everything works as advertised.

My Isuzu Cab4 3 liter has 186,000 km on it, 6 yo. No brake change, 2 tires changed because I punctured the sidewalls.

I had a mirror and a vacuum pump replaced under warranty. Oil is changed by the dealer at the recommended time. 10,000 km. Still uses fuel at the same rate. Everything works as advertised.

Never changed front brake pads, inclusive disks?

I would certainly love to see your discs and pads.......these are usually worn out after such a mileage.

The front disc brakes are doing the most work when unloaded. Just saying.

Discs and pads can last a looooooong time depending on driver habits.

I have 85,000km on the trucks clock, the discs are still perfect and the pads are not half worn, thats with an auto trans too. thumbsup.gif

Honestly, was really waiting for a post of yours. But please add 100,000 km to it and then take a look at your disks.

But I also know that you're a good driver and you do understand quite a lot about technique.

My excuse to not show jealousy is that my truck's already an oldtimer. Really love your truck, would you mind to post some pics?

P.S. One of our friends, but not the rippo guy gave me two stickers from TP. Now I can park wherever I want to and never get a ticket. coffee1.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Discs and pads can last a looooooong time depending on driver habits.

I have 85,000km on the trucks clock, the discs are still perfect and the pads are not half worn, thats with an auto trans too. thumbsup.gif

You have a Vigo don't you ?

I have one too, am at 120,000km still on original discs and pads. Not checked them for a while but they did look to have atleast 50% life still in them last I looked.

Back home I had a big Volvo Estate and a Merc E220 and I thought I am going to hate driving this thing around, but no, I love it.

Many folk don't like the cream interior but I think it makes the feeling of a saloon, bright and airy......thumbsup.gif

It's a pity that most of the newer pickups don't give the option of lighter interiors, most of the new models I've looked at have all black interiors, or at least very dark.

I bought the Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2L last year, and it's a fantastic truck. Just this weekend I had two large Americans sitting in it, and they were both very impressed with the level of trim, as well as how much room they had. It's a strong beast, and I hope it keeps going for another 15 years :)

Love my Ford Ranger Hi-Rider. It's a 2008, 5 speed turbo-diesel. Never missed a beat and a real pleasure when driving between Surin and Krung Thep.

10007002_727535004007890_630479099188848

I got the 3.0 TDCi with the 2 extra little doors that open the wrong way!

Very happy with it. Reliable and quite responsive.

Edited by jacko45k

I love my 10 year old Toyota Vigo 4 door 4WD.

However Toyota service is so expensive!

Than go somewhere else than Toyota, after the warranty ends there is no reason to go to the dealer for service, certainly not if you get screwed!

My Isuzu is 11 years old and I get it serviced by Isuzu every 12 months, which usually only entails an oil change and new filter. Total cost 1000 baht, so what the heck does Toyota do to make it so expensive?

I have been pleasantly surprised with mine.

I bought a one year old 2.5 ltr turbo diesel Chev Colorado ( 5 speed manual ) in 2008.

It had 13,000 on the clock , and today has 92,000 , so it hasnt done vast kms but it has worn very well so far. Like others report , it still has good brakes and pads and runs smoothly and quietly.

But as I reside in Phuket it has had a lot of gear use , and I just replaced a clutch , slave and master cylinders (about 20ks worth) and the biggest pain is ( always ) getting work done at the Chevrolet dealers.

It blew a tyre at 88,000 and another sprang two leaks so I replaced all then. They had plenty of tread but I felt they had become brittle.

Its had one battery ( from 'B-Quick' , the first they sold me was a dud and they didnt want to cover it ) and one oil leak up top and thats about it...

Other than some surface rust happening on the bottom of the tailgate where it rubs the plastic tray insert , its pretty much blemish free. Anyone else have this problem and how to stop it? Anyone else had the insert removed to check for rust caused by it rubbing - Im by the sea and starting to think that prudent.

All round but I am very happy with the common rail motor , and since its serviced every 10,000 am convinced it has a long life in it yet. No probs with the a/c either.

Given resale values here I feel my ute has been a very good purchase.

I just wish the dealers would be more organised and communicative... I know its my fault that I cant speak the language of car jargon , but is it impossible to set the invoice computer to give me my bill in English?

Sounds like a good built car in those days, I had Toyota Vigo not bad then I bought an new Mazda BT-50 3 yrs ago, I am 73 and it has to be the best ever vehicle I have had. Touch Wood have never had 1 problem with it, 56,000 K's only replaced a battery 6 months ago. My Son in New Zealand is a car dealer and he borrowed it for couple weeks while he was here with the family and he said it was one fantastic car to drive. I love it, but need to sell it some time in early next year as we are going off to Spain to live.

Toyota Tiger 2004 3 liter automatic 4x4,love it!I really like the performance of the 3liter engine,had the same truck before in a 2.5 liter but it had no go.

I do not really like the shape of the newer trucks,the Tiger looks very nice and is very reliable ,over 320000 on the clock and really runs nice.

Spend 40000 baht this year on it and this included new tires and wheels,should be ok again for a few more years.

She does not use oil and i get around 11km to a liter of fuel.

2002 Ford Ranger, 4WD, that I've owned for 5 years and added about 70,000 to the 230,000 when I bought it... Not sure what had been replaced before me (it came with a Ford FSH & all reciepts), but I've got through 2 clutch master cylinders, 2 (different) door-lock servo's, a few suspension bits & bearings, and a couple of shocks. Engine wise I replaced the glow-plugs (non-Ford replacements lasted just a couple of days, but the genuine replacement have been trouble free for about a year - as well as oil & filters, etc.

Most of my driving is relatively short (10-15km) journeys on badly potholed roads (hence the clutch & suspension problems), but it returns around 350km to a 1000bt fill, and still has enough acceleration to Iet me get first away from the lights when they go green....(not difficult against most local drivers, I know)

I'm more than happy with it over the years, and see little reason to change

I love my 10 year old Toyota Vigo 4 door 4WD.

However Toyota service is so expensive!

Than go somewhere else than Toyota, after the warranty ends there is no reason to go to the dealer for service, certainly not if you get screwed!

My Isuzu is 11 years old and I get it serviced by Isuzu every 12 months, which usually only entails an oil change and new filter. Total cost 1000 baht, so what the heck does Toyota do to make it so expensive?

With my now 7 year old Vigo the service at Toyota was rarely under 5,000 Baht and several times they found things broken that where not broken before. After the warranty ended I've taken it to a local shop for service and they do a better job at a fraction of the price. Now at 280,000 km and never a problem apart from regular maintenance and ware!

In general I think the quality at brand dealers is not good, with friend of me they forgot to refill the brake oil at Toyota, a nasty surprise at the next traffic light, reaction at Toyota.... solly... Took our new Honda City to the dealer twice now for regular service to get it back with the steering wheel not straight. The second time drove straight back, we can not help you now, there is a queue, you can come back in 2 days...

My Izuzu D Max ... Except for a new battery every couple of years

I have been using a charger all these years: Let it work overnight very regularly once a week and I still have the 1st battery after 9 (!!) years

Had this Nissan 4WD for 8 years, 4 new tires and a battery, best pick up I have ever owned. Was purchased brand new and had the oil and filter changed every 6 months.

MyTruck003_zps98b99b8f.jpg

Not even new brake disks/ pads/ shoes? Timing belt, other belts? I personally prefer a Mitsubishi. A car mechanic who works for Nissan Sisaket once told me that the engines are quite good, but not the rest.

Others might be more knowledgeable. What happened? Did you sell it to buy another one, or just ran out of cash?.

Due to the Nissan being manual, I replaced it with a PS. The wife asked me to trade her car for a vehicle that had more road clearance. She wanted a pick up, but after having one for 8 years we went for the PS. I also have a car and she told me she will not use the car now that she has got used to the PS. There are some folks think a car is a higher level than a pick up or SUV, and would never admit that the pick up or SUV is perfect for the crap roads and the rainy season.

This one is 4 1/2 years old and has had nothing replaced. When new I sold the original 16" wheels c/w tires, and ordered OEM 17" rims and fitted Michelin tires.

post-1136-0-35104800-1416799481.jpg

I had a Toyota Vigo, 3.0L, 4-door, 4-wheel drive automatic for 8 years. Still in great shape when I sold it to a family member 4 months ago.

Toyota will release the all new version of the Vigo in the next 6 to 8 months it has been reported. I'm sure it will be a great truck, but I didn't want to wait.

After looking at all the pick-ups available in Thailand, including the new Nissan, I bought a Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2L top of the line model. My wife and I both love it.

Currently, it is the only truck available with 6 (count 'em folks!) airbags. It was the first pick-up truck to get a 5-star crash rating in the Euro NCAP test. Also, received a 5-star rating in Australia.

In addition to the airbags, it has 6-speed automatic, power drivers seat, cruise control, dual zone auto climate control, back-up sensors AND back-up camera. Can drive through water 80 cm high! Could list more but you get the idea.

It is very big so commands respect on the road. Handling is excellent, brakes are outstanding, both items better than the Vigo. The cabin is comfortable and surprisingly quiet. The standard sound system is quite decent. Plenty of power with the 5-cylinder, 3.2L diesel. There is a slight hesitation from a dead stop, but you adjust quickly. The auto box can be controlled manually by pulling the shift lever toward the driver.

No vehicle is perfect, but overall, we are very happy with the new Ford Wildtrak 3.2. :-)

Good luck in choosing the best truck for you and your family.