US: Cleveland police shoot dead boy, 12, carrying fake gun

webfact

Cleveland police shoot dead boy, 12, carrying fake gun

(BBC) A 12-year-old boy has been shot dead by police in the US city of Cleveland, after brandishing what turned out to be a fake gun in a playground.

Police say an officer fired two shots at the boy after he failed to obey an order to raise his hands.

A caller reported the boy to police for scaring people with a gun but said that he did not know if it was real.

One of the officers was in his first year on the local force, the other had more than 10 years of experience.

'Airsoft'

The medical examiner for Cuyahoga County identified the boy as Tamir Rice.

Cleveland deputy police chief Ed Tomba said the boy was shot twice after pulling the gun from the waistband of his trousers. He died later in hospital.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30172433

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-24

• Like 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The result of a sick society that will not or cannot discourage or prohibit the use off and the carrying of firearms, thus society is on the whole living on a razor edge of fear.

Police offices who were or are perhaps also living on the razor edge of fear,indeed American society it seems has spawned an evil violence motivated society.

To have to make a decision as to whether to shoot or talk with a 12 year old boy should not be a difficult decision to make.

You talk, you do not shoot, you call for backup trained to deal with such a situation.

So yet again we are likely to see yet more outbreaks of wanton needless violence, riots the destruction of both private and public property and general civil disorder. Mad Max is becoming a reality as opposed to fiction I fear in the U .S .

SP,

The decision to make could possibly have been. 1. Shoot to defend oneself or 2. Be shot & die.

Although limited information is available, I seriously doubt the police just rocked up and shot him without a word being spoken.

There are a series of 'options' for police to use at these times but to 'pause' the incident whilst further enquiries are made or other people are called was possibly not one of them.

There's a saying amoungst law enforcement offices around the world.

"It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6".

The problem for law enforcement officers in gpthe USA is just the fact that so many people are packing heat these days. It's more than possible that a 12y.o could be carrying a loaded firearm. Shocking but true.

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

N.D we both speak the same language as we both know, agreed no one goes out with a ''shoot to kill policy''

To be fair we should be privy to the actual matters regarding this situation, recorded radio traffic, instructions given and taken or ignored and who made the final decision as to shoot to kill.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, both sides of the US gun control argument are right.

There are too many guns in the USA and they need to be taken out of civilian hands (2nd amendment regarding militias excepted).

If you ban guns, only the criminals will have them.

As a Brit, I didn't even see a gun until I was over eighteen and saw them for the first time on the European mainland.

Therefore I'm a natural supporter of gun control.

But, in the USA it is far too late for that. It should have happened a hundred years ago and would of had a chance of succeding. Now, there are at least five guns for every citizen and even if gun control was brought in, it wouldn't work and the pro-gun mantra would come true.

Personally, instead of trying to control guns, that will work for hundreds of years, they should try and restrict ammunition, which has a shelf life.

• Like 2

N.D we both speak the same language as we both know, agreed no one goes out with a ''shoot to kill policy''

To be fair we should be privy to the actual matters regarding this situation, recorded radio traffic, instructions given and taken or ignored and who made the final decision as to shoot to kill.

It depends what your talking about.

Firstly, where I was trained, we only 'Shoot to kill', we aim for the centre of body mass and only use the firearm to imobilise (read kill) the target. We are not trained to try and shoot weapons from peoples hands.

I'm also from somewhere where ALL police carry firearms and sometimes operate as a single unit and called to incidents with 'backup' a considerable distance away.

Without any more information we don't know what transpired immediately before this tragedy.

Did police just drive upon this individual or were they responding to a call regarding someone armed with a firearm? ...... Or was it any one of the other million combinations possible?

Once that is known we can discuss everything else.

I do realise that not everywhere is same as where I worked, which may or may not be like cleverland.

• Like 1

there is no minimum age limit to firing a lethal weapon at someone as long as youre able to pull the trigger. He was told to put his hands up but went to his waistband to draw the weapon. He must have known it was a fake so id say he was looking for a darwin award ...12yrs old is old enough to know what he was doing.

A 12 year old is not old enough to be aware of the consequences of his actions.

there is no minimum age limit to firing a lethal weapon at someone as long as youre able to pull the trigger. He was told to put his hands up but went to his waistband to draw the weapon. He must have known it was a fake so id say he was looking for a darwin award ...12yrs old is old enough to know what he was doing.

A 12 year old is not old enough to be aware of the consequences of his actions.

I certainly was. When I was growing up, we handled guns all the time, but were not stupid enough to point them at anyone. A 7 year old child is a different story, but a 12 year old should be old enough to realize what he is doing.

The result of a sick society that will not or cannot discourage or prohibit the use off and the carrying of firearms, thus society is on the whole living on a razor edge of fear.

Police offices who were or are perhaps also living on the razor edge of fear,indeed American society it seems has spawned an evil violence motivated society.

To have to make a decision as to whether to shoot or talk with a 12 year old boy should not be a difficult decision to make.

You talk, you do not shoot, you call for backup trained to deal with such a situation.

So yet again we are likely to see yet more outbreaks of wanton needless violence, riots the destruction of both private and public property and general civil disorder. Mad Max is becoming a reality as opposed to fiction I fear in the U .S .

I see your point but have to disagree - on the face of it it seems like a harsh judgement call for a police officer to shoot a 12 yo but you or I not being at the scene under tense pressure and risk of possibly being shot - likely in an area of high crime rate and gun crime regularly being confronted with young teens carrying guns - if he was given clear instructions of what to do and didn't follow them then there is little else the police could have done, be interesting to hear a more detailed report of what took place

Don't forget we are in an age were young teens take firearms to school and on some occasions have been known to start shooting - who would ever have thought we'd have signs in schools saying "no firearms"

• Like 1

I see your point but have to disagree - on the face of it it seems like a harsh judgement call for a police officer to shoot a 12 yo but you or I not being at the scene under tense pressure and risk of possibly being shot - likely in an area of high crime rate and gun crime regularly being confronted with young teens carrying guns - if he was given clear instructions of what to do and didn't follow them then there is little else the police could have done, be interesting to hear a more detailed report of what took place

Don't forget we are in an age were young teens take firearms to school and on some occasions have been known to start shooting - who would ever have thought we'd have signs in schools saying "no firearms"

There are having to use metal detectors even in elementary schools now in some cities. My brother had to respond to incident once where a 13 year old beat a teacher nearly to death with a chair.

We have friends that were teachers in some of the rougher areas that quit teaching because they were in fear for their safety. Schools have become a war zone.