ThaiPeople and Soy Milk?

David48

actually soy milk is quite popular in the uk for the reasons stated above. i drink it occasionally, it has a pleasant nutty flavour.

can't beat ice cold blue topped fresh milk on a bowl of cornflakes though...

So many Soy milks sold here are loaded with sugar as are fruit juices and flavoured milk.

If you are anywhere near being diabetic stay away from them or buy the imported sugar free, soy milk.

By the way corn flakes are 60% sugar as are most cereal brands which are defined as healthy

option : oats with low fat milk and sugar free yoghurt and fruit,don't be fooled by the so called low fat yoghurts they are full of sugar.Best brand is Bulgaria, dark blue pack

My wife loves cow's milk and any Thai people that come to our house never seem to have a problem drinking it when offered.

Sorry if this question is too personal but for the sake of research, I shall ask it anyway:

Does your wife suffer from excessive gas or experiencing bloatedness or have frequent indigestion or constipation. In between bouts of mild diarrhoea?

All these symptoms stopped for me after reducing my intake of dairy.

But then, your wife and friends may not have mentioned these embarrassing symptoms or they might have a higher than usual tolerance for dairy.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to read about soy milk and consideration of being lactose intolerant. I have not had any difficulty from childhood onward with milk or cheese but...my Mother told me that when I was a baby I could not drink cow's milk so I was given goat's milk which I seemed to tolerate fine. Ha! I would like to think that my lactose intolerance came from DNA back to Asia but some writers have stated that we all share a basic intolerance and that a resistance has built up.

Secondly, you cannot make pasteurised fresh milk from powdered milk! The only reason thye can make cappuchino coffee here is because they have huge hears of dairy cattle. Pasteurised milk will foam when injected with steam to make cappuchino. Milk made from powder has been heat hammered so much that it will not produce a foam.

And in my coffee shop,

Can make cappuccino from Meiji and ChokChai.

Can't make cappuccino from Formost or Dutch Mill.

There is a nasty rumour that Meiji and ChokChai add a little water to stretch it out a bit.

Edited by BritManToo

Soy Milk is poison! For those who believe it is a healthy alternative,you have been fooled by the large ag corporations,most is GMO and nothing like the original product (the same has happened with wheat and corn)

Why does Thailand have such a large gay/ladyboy percentage amongst young males?? A: Soy milk is high in Phytoeostrogens, it feminises young boys. Lots of info on the internet about Soy, Not to say cows milk is any better for you

it is known to cause digestive problems due to homogenisation/pasteurisation. In its whole form it is an acceptable healthy addition to ones diet.

• Like 1

Lactose intolerance from cow milk is because we aren't baby cows.

Milk is for baby animals thats all. Thats why human babies don't have a problem with mums milk.

Soy milk grows man boobs Ive heard.

Wow this soy milk is powerful and clever stuff. I thought only men grew man boobs? whistling.gif

My apologies if your first language is not English.coffee1.gif

Apparently, there is a theory (not sure if it is a fact) that lactose intolerance in adults is the default condition and we in the West just managed to build a higher level tolerance to dairy due to high consumption since birth.

There is quite a bit of substantial evidence for this. This is often used as one of the arguments by people concerned about animal welfare.

Mate ... I learnt a new word on the Weekend.

Vegequarian ... a Vegetarian who eats fish and the like.

Nah thats a "pickychoosarian"

• Like 1

Soy Milk is poison! For those who believe it is a healthy alternative,you have been fooled by the large ag corporations,most is GMO and nothing like the original product (the same has happened with wheat and corn)

Why does Thailand have such a large gay/ladyboy percentage amongst young males?? A: Soy milk is high in Phytoeostrogens, it feminises young boys. Lots of info on the internet about Soy, Not to say cows milk is any better for you

it is known to cause digestive problems due to homogenisation/pasteurisation. In its whole form it is an acceptable healthy addition to ones diet.

The problem with soy milk is actually soy in the raw form as it can be toxic and even cause death. This is a problem similar to red kidney beans if not processed correctly. For the majority of adults the benefits of Phytoeostrogens are very positive especially to prevent brittle bone disease, arthritis and so on. Read the professional research and not the conspiracy theorists.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on the School Milk (as per the OP)?

My old college produced fresh school milk packed in plastic bags. It was plain unsweetened milk.

Many schools get UTH instead as the UTH milk don't need cool storage and have a longer shelf life.

So what most schools get is basically plain milk but the UTH process makes the milk taste different from fresh milk.

Now comes the big BUT... I have seen schools providing their students with both sweetened and chocolate milk too!

• Like 1

First things first - it ain't milk! Milk comes from a breast or the udder of a mammal. End of story.

Soy muck is squeezed from the fruit of a plant. That plant is usually genetically modified and often grown after the application of 'Roundup' which kills every plant it touches, soy plants excepted because that's how they are designed (read: gentically modified). Makes 'em "Roundup ready".

Consume it at your own peril!

Why do Thais drink it? 'Cos they think it's good for them. As do a lot of people in the rest of the world.

The milk that Thai school kids drink is suspect, one school teacher in KonKaen told me about the milk which arrived at her school being undrinkable - the kids took it home to feed to the pigs.

Historical factors:

• Dairy cattle were rare,
  • Soy beans were plentiful,
Hence people drinking soya milk is more common than cow's milk.

Finally, some sense in an answer!

What topic is next for the OP.

Thai people and plastic bags?

frolly naughty again- do you really want that the lady from your avatar is going every week to OZ?

• Like 1

I eat my morning muesli with soya milk and it tastes fine. All those years of taking it with dairy milk was the main cause of a lot of digestive ailments for me. I still put milk in my tea though, but only in small quantity.

Apparently, there is a theory (not sure if it is a fact) that lactose intolerance in adults is the default condition and we in the West just managed to build a higher level tolerance to dairy due to high consumption since birth.

Not sure about it being applicable to everyone but personally I have never been healthier since reducing my lactose intake.

I have read (don't remember where) that there is a well-known genetic mutation common among Europeans and their descendants, that causes the body to produce lactase, which breaks down lactose in milk and allows the body to digest it. This mutation spread very rapidly in the European population and allowed a large increase in available calories by making a new food (cow's milk) widely available. Without lactase, humans have to process milk into cheese or yoghurt to be able to digest it. Some people lose their ability to produce lactase as they age. The mutation is least common in African populations, but less rare among Asians. Perhaps trade between Europe and Asia accounts for spread of the mutation to Asia. Incidentally, Europeans are also subject to the highest levels of osteoporosis, a weakening of the bones due to lack of calcium, but current research suggests this might be due to a deficiency of Vitamin D as a result of the short winter days when people also have to keep covered up.

The school milk is probably flavored. If I'm not careful I can pick up the wrong color package while shopping, because the flavored mild has similar colors to low-fat milk. I've also read that almost all the packaged milk we buy is actually reconstituted from imported dried milk, which is mixed with coconut oil. On the other hand I know there is some milk produced in Thailand, because I've visited a Thai-Danish dairy farm, I think in Kanchanaburi.

Edited by Acharn
  • Like 1

I've just become interested in this subject lately too.

They are saying that a number of ailments, specifically allergies one might have, such as skin rashes, runny nose, itchy eyes, are actually related to milk. Because the body is intolerant to this substance, it actually weakens the body in this sense, making it vulnerable to other things as well causing allergies.

So no more diary for me, I do take soy milk.

Question is, when we make milk tea and coffee? Now what.... Soy milk? Ew. Anyone have any alternatives?

Historical factors:

• Dairy cattle were rare,
  • Soy beans were plentiful,

Hence people drinking soya milk is more common than cow's milk.

Finally, some sense in an answer!

What topic is next for the OP.

Thai people and plastic bags?

frollywolly, welcome back.

Guinness_Pure_Genius_Area_Rug.jpg

Yes, Morakot is indeed a top bloke ... if you get on the turps with him ... make sure you like Guinness.

What will my next topic be ... who knows ... but maybe the Forum agrees ... your first (and only one) was great ... thumbsup.gif

apologies-to-a-member-i-was-wrong

Maybe stalking on a Forum ... whistling.gif

• Like 1