Home made dog food.

I am currently make my own dog food for 2 Rottweiler pups. 1 is a male 4 1/2 months @ 18 kilos, the other is a female 3 1/2 months @ 14 kilos.

I buy most stuff at Makro. The base is 2 kilos of minced pork bones. I add about 1/3 kilo of things like chicken meat, tails, and wing ends. Then mix in a 1/2 kilo of pork lung or spleen sometimes beef liver, 1/4 kilo of different kinds of mixed veggies and about 4 cups of rice in a 32 cm pot.

This will feed them for 4-5 days mixed 2:1 with dry puppy chow and a raw egg in the evening.

Now and again I will cut the wishbone out of a chicken carcass with as much meat, skin and fat as I can find, cut it in half, boil it good and feed them for an afternoon snack.

Anything I might alter or change? Considering their size, how much they play and the condition of their coat, I think they are dong pretty good. They are healthy sized, not fat and no ribs showing.

It is reasonably cheap to make. At Makro the 2 kilos of minced pork bone is 42 baht, the mixed veggies are 47 baht a kilo, the pork lung is 35 baht a kilo, pork spleen is 47 baht, chicken carcass is 25 baht, chicken parts vary but usually about 47 baht a kilo.

• Like 1

Bones are a natural source of calcium and phosphorus, but feeding any cooked bone is dangerous because cooked bones may splinter and damage the stomach and intestines. Chicken bones are the worst, Raw bones do not normally splinter but can contain bacteria. If I give my dogs bones, they're usually blanched in a pot of boiling water first to kill ant bacteria..

I cook my dogs food every morning. I boil 2 kilos of "chicken innards (hearts, gizzards, liver and connecting tissue) which I buy in the market at 70baht/kilo. I add various veggies and a small can of sardines. I cook it about 1.5 hours and then mix it with rice. If I cook any bones, they are removed and discarded. They are fed this once a day and have access to all of the dry food that they want. I use Pedigree but would prefer Science Diet or Eukanuba but they are too expensive. I currently have nine dogs, 8 Thai mutts and one grown Golden retriever. When I was raising Goldens I had as many as 23 and cooked about 5 kilos/day. I would never cook or feed them anything that I wouldn't eat!

• Like 2

Bones are a natural source of calcium and phosphorus, but feeding any cooked bone is dangerous because cooked bones may splinter and damage the stomach and intestines. Chicken bones are the worst, Raw bones do not normally splinter but can contain bacteria. If I give my dogs bones, they're usually blanched in a pot of boiling water first to kill ant bacteria..

I cook my dogs food every morning. I boil 2 kilos of "chicken innards (hearts, gizzards, liver and connecting tissue) which I buy in the market at 70baht/kilo. I add various veggies and a small can of sardines. I cook it about 1.5 hours and then mix it with rice. If I cook any bones, they are removed and discarded. They are fed this once a day and have access to all of the dry food that they want. I use Pedigree but would prefer Science Diet or Eukanuba but they are too expensive. I currently have nine dogs, 8 Thai mutts and one grown Golden retriever. When I was raising Goldens I had as many as 23 and cooked about 5 kilos/day. I would never cook or feed them anything that I wouldn't eat!

Minced bones provide no chance of stomach or intestinal damage, cooked or not. What is the main source of calcium? The minced bones and everything else I feed the dogs are selected from the human food area. Whether I would eat it or not is immaterial, it is edible by humans.

At Makro the 2 kilos of minced pork bone is 42 baht, the mixed veggies are 47 baht a kilo, the pork lung is 35 baht a kilo, pork spleen is 47 baht, chicken carcass is 25 baht, chicken parts vary but usually about 47 baht a kilo.

Thanks the minced pork bone at macro, is it ready packaged or does one have to request it be minced, also if possible give me the name of the minced pork bone in Thai so I can try and buy at macro khon kaen

I would eliminate the store bought dog food and go with rice instead. all the markets have "khao maa". Also I would give raw bone a couple times a week, it's good for the teeth and lots of nutrition. I have a Great Dane I have been feeding similar only mostly chicken, he doesn't like the pork guts too much, I should try the mince pork bone though that might be good.

At Makro the 2 kilos of minced pork bone is 42 baht, the mixed veggies are 47 baht a kilo, the pork lung is 35 baht a kilo, pork spleen is 47 baht, chicken carcass is 25 baht, chicken parts vary but usually about 47 baht a kilo.

Thanks the minced pork bone at macro, is it ready packaged or does one have to request it be minced, also if possible give me the name of the minced pork bone in Thai so I can try and buy at macro khon kaen

It is prepackaged in 2 kilo bags and frozen. You will find it in wih the frozen sliced pork. (The human food area)

I was looking for the frozen dog food but 1 of the stores did not have that. They steered me to this. The frozen dog food is 25 baht a kilo and come in chicken, beef and pork flavors. It is the same thing, frozen minced bones, just 3 types of bones.

Hello,

When my GF cooks for the dogs, it takes more than one hour before they eat the pots empty and the vegetables stay there. Birds come to eat it.

When I cook for the dogs, I use oyster sauce, soy sauce and a spoon sugar. I always taste before I feed the dogs. They eat all within 15 minutes.

I don't know if the sauces are good for dogs, but they like it and I have to admit that sometimes I'd like to eat with them.

Now and then they get a boiled bone (I think it's leg from beef...) and they spend a few days chewing them. Dry food is always available.

Bomb is a 2 years old female mix labrador and Thai ridgeback, Pinda a 5 months old labrador female, Nid Noi a 6 years old mix of ??? and ??? female and Heng Heng a 10 years old Shitsu male.

The experts would probably say that this is probaly too much bone (should be about 10%) and not enough protein.

The only down side I can find to feeding too much bone is constipation. Trust me, they do not have that problem. Maybe the rather large amount of rice takes care of that.

I do agree about the protein not being enough. I will be working on increasing that but the maximum required is only around 30% so I can't be too far off.

The experts would probably say that this is probaly too much bone (should be about 10%) and not enough protein.

After more research, I think I might try dry beans as a source of protein both to cut down on fat and keep the price down.

They are very high in protein and since it the mixture is boiled anyhow, they should just mix right in.

Take a look

http://bit.ly/11RO9so

Do you actually think I am that stupid?

This is called interaction. You should try it sometime.

Since we have never met I can't make comments on your intellectual level, However from your response I would hazard a guess that you take life or yourself way to seriously. Lighten up and get over yourself.

Quality Thai Jasmine rice is somewhere around 15 - 17% protein (I think). My dogs LOVE fish.

I go buy the cheapest sardines I can find from BigC. The wife slops a can or two in there with the rice, and the dogs are fat & happy (Golden Retrievers).

We often mix raw ground pork in there as well.

I have mango trees that drop mangoes all the time & they eat them as well. Seem to love them!

Unlike the bananas & watermelons they eat just because my wife & I eat them, they actively murder mangoes all their own.

They leave the skins & pits everywhere & just eat the pulp, which is what humans eat after all. Cannot say they are lacking vitamin C.

My friend has a Maltese mutt that goes crazy over lettuce of all things! Super cool, healthy dog too.

Quality Thai Jasmine rice is somewhere around 15 - 17% protein (I think). My dogs LOVE fish.

I go buy the cheapest sardines I can find from BigC. The wife slops a can or two in there with the rice, and the dogs are fat & happy (Golden Retrievers).

We often mix raw ground pork in there as well.

I have mango trees that drop mangoes all the time & they eat them as well. Seem to love them!

Unlike the bananas & watermelons they eat just because my wife & I eat them, they actively murder mangoes all their own.

They leave the skins & pits everywhere & just eat the pulp, which is what humans eat after all. Cannot say they are lacking vitamin C.

My friend has a Maltese mutt that goes crazy over lettuce of all things! Super cool, healthy dog too.

I was adding whole fish, boiling it and running it through the blender bones and all until my blender broke. I suppose I could just cook it and add the meat since they are getting plenty of calcium.

I did look up the jasmine rice and considering the amount my dogs eat, I think your 15-17% is about right. Still needs to be brought up to atleast 30%.

I also added small slices of apples but they could eat right around them. I need to get that blender part. Still looking for a parts place.

A1Str8, on 24 Nov 2014 - 13:02, said:

I am not very knowledgeable but i have never understood why would someone give bones to a dog as food.

Bones are part of a dogs natural diet, not only do they clean the teeth and gums, but provide valuable minerals, eg calcium, and lest not forget the marrow. Have you even see a wild dog leave the bones... time you learnt a bit about dogs...... and those pesky cats.

http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=103

A1Str8, on 24 Nov 2014 - 13:02, said:

I am not very knowledgeable but i have never understood why would someone give bones to a dog as food.

Bones are part of a dogs natural diet, not only do they clean the teeth and gums, but provide valuable minerals, eg calcium, and lest not forget the marrow. Have you even see a wild dog leave the bones... time you learnt a bit about dogs...... and those pesky cats.

http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=103

"Have you even see a wild dog leave the bones."

Yes ... If it's from a large prey.

Wolves etc, usually leave the hardest bones, such as the head, ribs (from adult large prey), paws, hips.

Small prey are normally eaten totally.

After more research, I think I might try dry beans as a source of protein both to cut down on fat and keep the price down.

They are very high in protein and since it the mixture is boiled anyhow, they should just mix right in.

When looking at the nutrients one should also take the bio-availability into account.

Protein from plant-material, such as soya, maize, beans, are much less bio-available than animal protein. I've once read a report that stated a figure of only 40% for soya and maize. Can't recall or find where.

Heating also reduces the bio-availability. The longer you heat/cook the meat the less the bio-availability of the protein.

Heating can also destroy certain nutrients or change the chemical composition.

• Like 1

When looking at the nutrients one should also take the bio-availability into account.

Protein from plant-material, such as soya, maize, beans, are much less bio-available than animal protein. I've once read a report that stated a figure of only 40% for soya and maize. Can't recall or find where.

Heating also reduces the bio-availability. The longer you heat/cook the meat the less the bio-availability of the protein.

Heating can also destroy certain nutrients or change the chemical composition.

It has the minced bone, fish, chicken meat, some organ meat, soy beans, vegetables and high protein rice. Plus it is mixed with puppy chow. I doubt they are missing much of anything. I feed them 2 times a day about a kilo at a time. They eat a lot and are not fat. They play a lot, roughly as Rotties do.