becoming impatient in bangkok

crickets

Don't build up your blood pressure. In the end it is only you who is suffering. You can rest assured those who you think are causing you to be impatient are not losing and sleep. Yes, it is rude for people to push in, not showing any civility towards others but this does not only happen in BKK but most major cities throughout the world.

Where I live, a large regional city in the north east, there is not much of this happening but we do get some. Most of the times people are quite courteous and have even allowed me to move in front of them. Maybe Thailand is catching up with the rest of the world.

You should take a deep breath, relax and just let the rude ones go. It is easy to see that you are irritated no end, but then, in the end, just let it go as you certainly don't want to end up in a dispute, in particular if you're a farang. You know what can happen. Just count to ten and live your life, sabai, sabai, not old and grumpy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slow down man, it's not a competition. I used to get a little huffy at things too but I've come to the realization that certain things are out of my control. I know, this sounds simplistic but it's not like where ever you came from.

For example, I hate taxis in BKK, and I try to keep away from them as much as possible, so I plan my travels within the city accordingly.

I have a theory as to why farang men get grumpier and grumpier in Thailand the longer they stay here and the older they get. It's to do with the women and envy. Firstly they see all these stunning office ladies and after trying to chat them up get rejected constantly and finally give up and are forced to either pay for it one way or another. At the same time these farangs have a feeling of superiority via a vis Thailand-they complain about the inefficiency, the illogical Thai ways. And yet and yet... they look around and see the growing wealth of the Thais - the sports cars, the sky trains, the hotels, the sky train-all more abundant and modern than their run down towns and villages back home in UK- and it does not compute in their minds which causes further frustation.

Don't agree about the increasing wealth as plastic is their new best friend. Yes there are some but they're debt ratio is growing on a percentage basis more than the west. I get the rest of the post though.

Cheers.

I come from a big city in australia and am generaly polite and understand how a line works. But if i acted like some of the people here i would punched in the face. Seems like there is a tension in the air as soon as people have to start waiting for something. The person with money in hand seems to get priority followed by the person who speaks up then the person who just looks angry while the person waiting quietly can just go to hell and this happens especially when ordering food. I think i am just looking for the right moment for someone to get me on a bad day for a good excuse to knock the day lights out of him.

Jai yen yen,crickets,or the bad day will be all yours.

In relative terms, Bangkok is a lot less 'aggressive' then other Capital Cities around the world.

Try China ... now that's en eye opener ... w00t.gif

I sympathize with you OP, I really do. It becomes a matter of if you can't beat them, join them and as a consequence, lose all trace of manners and decorum.

I'm not sure of your physical dimensions, but I used to be a buyer travelling to China many times a year. China as David48 has alluded to, would have to be the rudest, most impolite, manner-less country on earth. It is every man for himself. Women & children can get trampled in any rush as long as you beat the guy standing next to you in any perceived competition such as queuing for a train ticket. A mate I used to travel with had generous proportions especially compared to the Chinese. He used to carry a heavy briefcase that he would strategically strike any queue interloper in the back of the legs with - and not just once - as the Chinese are conditioned to be ignorant as well - when the interloper turned around and saw my large co-worker glaring back, they would immediately see the error of their ways. Not that the situation was redressed, but at least he had the pleasure of knowing the guy was then nervous and uncomfortable and he didn't just get away it.

I leave a big gap in front for vision/safety too so I know how you feel. I find the best way to get back at them is to use your vision to find openings up ahead, be ready for them and take them so you get in front.

If that's not enough, you can then slow down and even out the traffic in front so there won't be any more openings from him (and all those other selfishly slow drivers) for a few minutes.

Ever since i came to stay in bangkok i feel i have become impatient. Now i dont wait behind people at the shop, i come in at the side waving money. I dont give an inch to anyone getting in or out of trains because i feel if they take it they think that they r beating u at something. Makes me angry thinking about it. Do thais think they r losing something if they dont take that minor opportunity to get in front. Driving is the same, if i leave a gap between me and the other car for safety some turd feels the need that they have to take it.

I think your exaggerating things, with a population bigger than London and 30 odd degrees heat people don't want to wait around, but you should probably just chill out, take you have never been on London underground Monday morning rush hour :P

I do somewhat agree with you on the road though, makes UK driving seem too safe and boring!

I hate people like you that don't budge when I am trying to get on or off the BTS. If you can free up space, do it. If you really can't, fine. But there is never an excuse for not moving when someone is trying to exit a crowded BTS train. I would have no problem bowling you over if I need to get off.

Edited by kblaze

Now i have had time to think i thank the lucky stars i never grew up in a shit hole like bangkok or any other major over populated city. I will live and learn and find a place where i can get away from all "these people".

I urge you to spend a few nights in Jakarta - you'll see BKK in a different light. Sadly, I see the same future for The Big Mango and several other Asian megacities simply because I see very few countries with the same willingness to take on population pressures as the Japanese have (the Koreans have made a good start with Seoul's subway system, even if it confuses the hell out of a newcomer). Tokyo rush hour is no fun but being able to walk those wide, meticulously maintained footpaths in Ueno and Ginza without being jostled left me wondering if the Thais understand the importance of having some space to oneself. Siam would have to be one of the most claustrophobic shopping experiences anywhere courtesy of the endless lines of street vendors taking up the footpath outside the mega-malls - hate it with a passion. Big difference in GDP per capita, but how many billions of baht have flowed into Thailand over the years from other Asian countries ? We arent talking Laos here - time they stopped dipping their snouts in the trough and took ownership of the problems that Bangkok and other Thai cities will face in the coming decades.

post-172716-0-83184900-1417019235_thumb.

Edited by MrWorldwide

I hate people like you that don't budge when I am trying to get on or off the BTS. If you can free up space, do it. If you really can't, fine. But there is never an excuse for not moving when someone is trying to exit a crowded BTS train. I would have no problem bowling you over if I need to get off.

Maybe it's just me ... I never have a trouble with what you have an issue with.

People usually shuffle a bit, even in cramped circumstances as best they can.

If they don't know I'm coming, a 'excuse me' in Thai is all it takes to open up the path to the door.

If they don't know I'm coming, a 'excuse me' in Thai is all it takes to open up the path to the door.

I've never had a problem getting off the BTS; sometimes, I/'ve turned sideways to allow people who are racing for the seats to board, but it's no great hardship. I've often had to push past people who are reticent to board a crowded train, when there is still room on board for a little bloke like me or theBlether, but again, never any problem. I think a lot of people like to whinge at trivial problems, so that they can pretend themselves perfectionists. But Ray French would never allow such speculation, and there is no reason why you, or I, or others, should digress from our own experience into fanciful extrapolation

SC

• Like 1

What's all this problem with becoming an inpatient in Bangkok. When you are sick you go to the hospital and if you are sick enough they send you to a room to await surgery. That is if you have insurance. If you are self insured they might wheel you to the ATM in the lobby and see just how much baht is there ... that is if you are not too sick to press the buttons But ... (announcer) that is IM patient Emily not IN patient. Oh well that's different.

EmilySNLw259h222.jpg

• Like 1

Impatient, Impatient, I must have it now,

I cannot wait for a moment,

there's sweat on my brow.

Why should I wait? Give me a reason

It isn't yet Christmas, the giving season.

Others are trying to beat me to the line,

but I was here first, this spot is mine.

It makes me so wound up and tensions are high,

as I grind my teeth, looking up at the sky.

Yet if I just pondered a little and thought about life,

it isn't so bad this terrible strife.

So let it all go, and forget all the stress

for it's a troubled mind that's under duress.

Time is but numbers and it passes us by,

it cannot be rushed as much as we try.

Live for the moment, enjoy every one

and then you will find that living is fun!!!

wink.png

while we're on the subject, here's another one

Waiting

Waiting is a part of our lives

You wait for the bus,

And then there’s the post

Wait a few more seconds

And up pops your toast.

We wait for a chance

A moment to seize

It passes us by

With the greatest of ease

We wait for our wives

For how long? God knows

While she paints her eyelashes

And powders her nose

We wait at the red light

With amber in mind

The light turns to green

And you’re hit from behind!

Fishing is different

Waiting is nice

Relaxing surroundings

And beer with ice.

We wait for a bite

Lines cast and mapped

Then comes a screech

And your line’s been snapped!

Waiting for payday

For cash to be given

You work your nuts off

But still you are driven

By the incessant demands

Of a greedy boss

Something he gains

Will surely be your loss!

Waiting for love

Don’t move with such haste

The chances are

It’ll all be a waste!

We wait for a fortune

To drop in our lap

Doing the numbers

To escape the rat trap

We wait for our children

To grow up and flourish

You pay for their keep

Their bodies you nourish

And when they grow up

With degrees and white collars

They’ll duly repay you

With millions of dollars!

Waiting for grandkids

How lovely they are

They smash up your Hi Fi

And throw up in your car

Waiting for retirement

The end is in sight

Twiddling your thumbs

Will be your plight

What else can we wait for?

I hear you cry

Well how about this ….

You’re waiting to die!!

When you are getting pissed off on an hourly basis it is very easy to think If I cant beat them I'll join them. I spent a few years in China and in the end I was crossing the road without looking just like the locals. In Malaysia for 5 years and I just decided to pull rude <deleted> getting in and out of lifts or rude shop assistants . For some reason in Thailand I'm a little more tolerant probably because I think sometimes they are just unaware of western "Rules"

Try some of the other big cities in this part of the world, like Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong. You'll soon be thinking "get me back to Bangkok where things are more relaxed!"

Totally. Spent some time in Saigon recently. On returning to Bangkok I couldn't believe how quiet the place seemed!

• Like 1

Oh its the exception definitely, not the rule. 99% of the time its tourists/foreigners who dont want to make room. Im also speaking from a very large sample size (2 trips+ a day for 7 years)

I come from a big city in australia and am generaly polite and understand how a line works. But if i acted like some of the people here i would punched in the face. Seems like there is a tension in the air as soon as people have to start waiting for something. The person with money in hand seems to get priority followed by the person who speaks up then the person who just looks angry while the person waiting quietly can just go to hell and this happens especially when ordering food. I think i am just looking for the right moment for someone to get me on a bad day for a good excuse to knock the day lights out of him.

Spoken like a true Aussie laugh.png

LOL. I think so too! He sounds like a good laugh to have around when the booze is flowing!

A problem on the BTS is those stupid rails that encourage people to stand near the doors rather than move to the center, and then add to that inconsiderate people that dangle off them like a monkey (I think of it as "the web of arms").

I lived in London and New York for a long time and generally find people to have better "big city manners" there, meaning the little displays of consideration that make life in a crowded place more tolerable. I think Asians in general have very much an ingroup-outgroup mentality where you look out for your own and screw everybody else, and that extends to public manners. After a year here, I'm ready to move back to the good ol' West, frankly, but I have a while on my project.