Waterproof grout

cheeryble

Wife has a man (a hospital handyman so quite good) coming to redo grout on a bathroom floor which has weakened and allowing water through.

Without going into epoxy grout, is a waterproofing additive available anywhere in CM which the repair man could use?

Thanks

I agree about spending unnecessarily on an expensive w/p product. From my experience I have a habit of including latex solution in to mortar, concrete, floor tile adhesive......have to say never grout though!

this was the last litre container i bought, from Global about 150bt I think;

If you check the back it does refer to improved waterproving; but as you know the latex' main purpose is for better bonding and workability. the stick like sh1t properties.

give it a try.

post-150623-0-56943200-1416875076_thumb.post-150623-0-28532100-1416875148_thumb.

I bought Weber "Liquid to reinforce protection of cementitious grouts against stain & grease" at a Buriram Builders Merchants to use an "art painting" slender brush to coat the Weber Tile Grout I had on shower floor, shower wall tiles and swimming pool tile grout. The Weber product is to coat and protect the tile grout. It is NOT to be placed on the ceramic tile. I only bought a couple of 0.5 liter bottles as it can cover quite a bit of tile grout in a shower or smaller swimming pool. Weber is part of Saint - Gobain and seems to be a high quality line of tile grout, tile afixant and building materials. I did not see this Weber "Liquid to reinforce protection of cementitious grouts against stain & grease" at the Buriram HomePro, Buriram Thaiwatsadu or Buriram Home Mart. I did not see this product at the Global House in Surin. I did see this product at the I.Q. Modern Trade store in Surin last week. This product is on the web site of Ruangsangthai Buriram Builders Merchants and must be available in Chiang Mai at Weber Tile Grout dealers.

post-20604-0-84042400-1416895038_thumb.j

Edited by kamalabob2

Thanks for thoughts everyone....

Eyecatcher great minds think alike I actually had this problem before and mixed lax yes with the grout.....but it has not really done the job.

I've never used the coating sealer and probably a bit of a pain to cut in on all the grout lines but hey may be worth a try.

Actually wife bought a higher quality than normal grout, normally about 45 baht this one cost about 150bt. So that's going in as we speak and keep and go look for the Weber stuff certainly worth a go.

Thanks again

While we're at it outside the bathroom wall.....which drew up a little of the damp....is a built in kitchen and very small termites have caused damage there.."..thankfully just a couple of panels of three plunged replacing. They may have been attracted by damp in the area.

So hospital handyman thoughts are:

1. Deal with the source of damp.

2. Spray under the kitchen units and tape on some plasticated art word for now. Then in a month or two check of termites again and depending on that re panel.

Question:

Isn't the spraying just temporary?

Is there some sort of repellent which could be left under/behind the panelling?

How about borax?

Edited by cheeryble

Thanks for thoughts everyone....

Eyecatcher great minds think alike I actually had this problem before and mixed lax yes with the grout.....but it has not really done the job.

I've never used the coating sealer and probably a bit of a pain to cut in on all the grout lines but hey may be worth a try.

Actually wife bought a higher quality than normal grout, normally about 45 baht this one cost about 150bt. So that's going in as we speak and keep and go look for the Weber stuff certainly worth a go.

Thanks again

post-120824-1416912367291_thumb.jpg

While we're at it outside the bathroom wall.....which drew up a little of the damp....is a built in kitchen and very small termites have caused damage there.."..thankfully just a couple of panels of three plunged replacing. They may have been attracted by damp in the area

So hospital handyman thoughts are:

1. Deal with the source of damp.

2. Spray under the kitchen units and tack on some plasticated art board for now with ventilation so complete drying of wall. Then in a month or two check for termites again and depending on that re panel properly.

post-120824-14169125144401_thumb.jpg

Question:

Isn't the spraying just temporary?

Is there some sort of repellent which could be left under/behind the panelling?

How about borax?

I woild give the wood a decent spraying then seal it with a clear varnish.

Many of the expensive stains and varnishes do have insecticide mixed in to stop thr blighters even nibbling.

I have onr of those wood kitchen units 3 doors tiled top.

Its been outside for 18month now and i live inside a termite ring (my wood fence) it was varnished and no sign of attack.

Worth a try maybe?

The handyman has done the grout, and done a neat job and lined the kitchen cupboard with art board for temporary.

He has indeed sprayed first, I noticed a can of regular insect spray nearby.

Trouble is as I ask isn't that just temporary.

So thinking about eyecatcher's suggestion and also my own idea of borax....point being the cabinets are fixed and cannot varnish behind all panels just some places.

As the handyman rightly says if you kill them in one place they will just move along a bit.

So....

I notice that these critters often go for cardboard boxes in cupboards first.....in this case an empty liquidiser box which had paper mâché protection for the machine inside......probably yummy and easy to nibble.

Seem to remember they take borax or some poison or other with them back to the nest.

So just thinking maybe some chopped up cardboard needs impregnating then leaving under/inside the cabinetry in those hidden spaces.

I know Google is my friend.....will have a look.

Edited by cheeryble

It looks like cardboard was a good idea, impregnated with borax and something appetising like sugar.

Thing is if you have a load of cabinets already in place you can drill a few holes but you certainly can't spray all of the hidden areas which is why I favour bait.

Enjoyed this guy:

....especially where he recommends breathing into the bait tubes.

Says, correctly the CO2 is heavier than air and will stay there and attract the critters.

Edited by cheeryble

It looks like cardboard was a good idea, impregnated with borax and something appetising like sugar.

Thing is if you have a load of cabinets already in place you can drill a few holes but you certainly can't spray all of the hidden areas which is why I favour bait.

Enjoyed this guy:

....especially where he recommends breathing into the bait tubes.

Says, correctly the CO2 is heavier than air and will stay there and attract the critters.

Its amazing how devious we all become in trying to win the battle against termites and ants.

I moved on from the chaindrite powder to buying borax at 40bt a kilo. I tried sugar initially but thr grains are to big a cannot diguise thrm.

Plan B go to buy icing sugar then mix your own michelin starred recipe. The buggers come far and wide to my try my cordon bleu borax a la sucre.

Problem is i dont seem to get repeat custom always someone new.

Haha

I got some boric acid today (is it same effect as Sodium borate?)

I'm going to get some cardboard and chop it up, and soak it with a solution made from warming up the acid powder and honey.

Why not give the critters a great last meal?

I reckon they're going to go for easiest first ie nice juicy sweet cardboard before plywood.

Was yr concoction successful?

Edited by cheeryble