What's It like to live in Hang Dong Pros/Cons

stament

Thinking of moving to Hang Dong and don't know the area that well. I know it seems to cover quite a large area. I've lived in Santitham before and near Prince Royal College.

We'd be moving to Hang Dong because it's nearer to the schools my sons will attend.

Just wondering what the pros and cons are of living out there on a mooban as I have no experience to draw on. Would like to be near Kad Farang or the Post Office or Police Station, sonewhere very close to thai eating places and a shop would be ideal for convenience sake as don't want to have to drive somewhere all the tine just to get a bite to eat.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be most appreciated.

Been living in this area for more than 7 years and to me its pretty much perfect, close to kids school plenty of places to eat even more now that Kad Farang is being redeveloped with a New Wine connection, McDonalds, The Game, a big Rimping opening soon, Coffee shops and the 7-11 just before Kad Farang has some great Food stalls that set up in the evenings that offer very cheap thai food.

Across the road is a Muc de tat (wrong spelling I know) and we eat here multiple times a month and its cheap and good additionally there is multiple local bars including THE GAME and a little bar opposite the Game and Rimping in Kad farang.

I live in Sanpukwan so 2 ways into town, hang dong road or following the river.

Personally I think its great living in this area everything you need and only 15 minutes into town.

• Like 1

We have been in Banwangtan,Hang Dong,which is a few km's north of Kad Farang for 6 years and don't regret the decision to live south of the city,in fact we rarely find the need to go past Airport Plaza.

When we first arrived it was easy to get around CM city. that's no longer the case and finding a parking spot can be frustrating at times.

South of Airport Plaza you have a Tesco, Makro, Big C, 1 & 2, Two Rimpings ,1 at Mae Hia,1 coming soon at Kad Farang,Mae Hia Market and a wide variety of restaurants, bars and cheaper eating options.

Throw in Hang Dong Golf course and a host of swimming pools and schools. That just about covers what most people need.

• Like 1

I've never lived there but I have met people who do. They all say that there are so many amenities out that way that they rarely need to go into town anymore. So if you can find the right house with the right neighbors you should be just fine. If you are worried about the airplane noise overhead (which is a problem in some areas) I would say not to worry too much about it. I live under a flight path in the Nimmenhaemin area and it only takes a few months to get use to it, if that.

Yes, You should go there. I (German married with Thai sometimes living in San Pa Tong near Hang Dong) can recommend it. You have everthing nearby - not need to go to crowded Chiang Mai City. When I am in San Pa Tong I drive every day about 10 kms to nearby "The River" - Sai Nam Min Hotel (see enclosures) to swim about 2-3 kms in the pool for a daily fee of Baht 50 only. At present i mainly live at Karon Beach Phuket but I think to move to San Pa Tong soon.

2014_10_29 The River+Sai Nam Min Hotel Hang Dong.docx

post-210975-0-31042900-1416923072_thumb.

post-210975-0-73498900-1416923073_thumb.

post-210975-0-72531300-1416923098_thumb.

post-210975-0-51021300-1416923100_thumb.

• Like 1

I live in Nong Kwai in one of the Sansaran developments and I'm delighted with the area. There is everything you need close by and it's easy to get into town on the Hang Dong road or Canal Road. Even if you want to go across to the new Central Mall, Bangkok Hospital or anything on the Super Highway, you just shoot down 3029 past Big C and you're there in 15 minutes. There are a lot more developments on the east side of the super highway so more properties to choose from but it also makes the roads busier. Go for it, I'm sure you won't regret it, I know I don't.

Tried Hang Dong, but found San Sai much better. We are pretty much only a few minutes from Central Festival (newest mall), Ruam Chok Market, and a brand new Home Pro. Not to mention all the other common stores. Hang Dong was a bit far from the activities we enjoy, and the traffic was a bit much. I am not sure I want to be that close to low flying aircraft....but that was a factor. Much more convenient near 1001 and middle ring road. And definitely more pleasant. There is a gym and pool just a kilometer up from Raum Chok going north on 1001 and then left.

We do enjoy going to Chiang Mai Beach...(the lake park Huay Teng Tao).... and all the buffet lunch places inside Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Many nice looking Thai ladies, non-HiSo, at that evening market. I would get a townhouse, near the main road and call it a day. If you need to go into the Old City often, don't live there, otherwise you do have everything you need out there. I met countless nice people out there in my two year tenure in BWT, but besides the well documented dog problems, it is too far from the main road. Yellows are great until 19:00. Getting a car because you live out there is silly compared to just living in the City...but if you already have a car, and your kids are in school at Grace or CMIS......go for it. I think it is a little classier than San Sai.

• Like 1

I have lived in and about different areas and my fav is still Hang Dong

My recent moves and living spaces have all been in that area and the proximity to the airport is a great blessing for those that travel a lot and you never that far from the Sunday Mkt / old city of you need to meet a friend there

Off that you are a short highway ride to all the amenities and supermarkets and different wet markets around

Mae Hia is my fav talat and with the development around the market including a small Rimping and small shops there it's a great spin to get in things

I like the fact there is a good line up of restaurants all the way to Mai Hie Mkt

The chicken rice stall next to windmill restaurant is great , you can head to the new Good View Village and chill out and one of the best Chinese / Thai style seafood restaurant is also next to the windmill restaurant

Along that is a great and busy breakfast place with very very good moo and pla jok and there is a steady stream of people there every morning for that and the steamed buns

Love this area and will be my perm location :)

Edited by LawrenceChee

I live in Nong Kwai in one of the Sansaran developments and I'm delighted with the area. There is everything you need close by and it's easy to get into town on the Hang Dong road or Canal Road. Even if you want to go across to the new Central Mall, Bangkok Hospital or anything on the Super Highway, you just shoot down 3029 past Big C and you're there in 15 minutes. There are a lot more developments on the east side of the super highway so more properties to choose from but it also makes the roads busier. Go for it, I'm sure you won't regret it, I know I don't.

That was the one thing I was wondering about. From all I have read you need your own transportation and as it grows does not the traffic and parking become a problem?