Bangkok To Trash All Non-air-conditioned Buses

george

BMTA to decommission all non-air-conditioned buses

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Mass Transit Authority will stop providing non-air-conditioned bus services in seven to eight months, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Saturday.

Thaksin said he had ordered the BMTA to stop using diesel buses but turn to use buses powered by natural gas for vehicle (NGV).

It seems to be a Political exercise by the caretaker - surely Bangkok has an authority of its own who have the responsibilty to make decisions like this?

Good News now I would love to buy 1 of those buses they plan to trash I could make a motor home out of it and drive to Bkk or even phuket and will not have to search for a clean hotel on the way plus I can carry all my toys with me like a note book pc get wi fi internet connection and I am on line LOL of course I would put in A/C and transfer the the eng to run on LPG if possible I know it can be done on gasoline engines just think I could pick up all my ladies on beach road in Pattaya and take them with me a cruise to no were LOL I am a dreamer and if I can I will make my dreams come true have a wonderful day every day GOD bless all

sounds fair enough to me fella.

any chance of a lift down to koh tao ? :o

Who writes these titles? That has to be one of the worst uses of the word 'Trash' i have ever read.

You know what ? You are totally correct; it is written (obvioulsy) by someone, who has no knowledge of the endless possibilities of the beautiful english language !

Well, I suppose its hardly Hemmingway or Steinback but it is "legitimate" slang.

tr.v. trashed, trash·ing, trash·es

1. Slang.

1. To throw away; discard i.e. trashed the broken toaster.

2. To wreck or destroy by or as if by vandalism; reduce to trash or ruins.

Just part of our ever evolving language.

you deserve 100 points fella as slang is truely a part of the ever evolving langauge.

australians use it a lot in every day speak.

but i must point out to you that not all people can get a handle on it and tend to misinterpret the true meaning.

they have a problem seeing the humour or true meaning especially when it is in the written form.

this leads to some classic retorts from punters who take a person as being angry or not writing correctly. :D

we call it banter and it gives australians a never ending sorce of amusement when people spit the dummy over this very subject. :D

myself has had untold hours of pleasure dealing with these people but also realise that some people have absolutly no sense of humour. :D

we never worry about these sort of people as we refer to them as pond fodder.(canyou understand that one) :D

cricky's mate some of them really fire and go of the planet. ( just a small example) :D

but you my friend are obviously in command of head full of hard working brain matter and cheers to you old mate. :o:D

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Mass Transit Authority will stop providing non-air-conditioned bus services in seven to eight months, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Saturday.

Thaksin said he had ordered the BMTA to stop using diesel buses but turn to use buses powered by natural gas for vehicle (NGV).

It seems to be a Political exercise by the caretaker - surely Bangkok has an authority of its own who have the responsibilty to make decisions like this?

i like the way they order things done, in western countries they either direct , instruct or they just say what is going to happen. to order gives the impression that it has been refused and force has to be used. but thats the way it's done

THis is an interesting point:

Would Tony Blair order London to change their busses? No

Would George Bush order the City of New York to do amendments to to the subway system? No

Would the Prime minister of Singapore order upgrade of MRT or busses? Possible, as it is a city state

So - In Thailand, how is the division of power - does BKK has a city council and a mayor?

It seems odd that the prime minister should involve in the upgrade of busses

What will it cost to buy one of the old buses.....maybe Thailand could have a hippy revival...paint the buses with a psychedelic motif....all of us expats could grow our hair long (those of us that still have hair) and wear bell bottom pants....cool....groovy.....peace bros!!!!

hey your pulling my chain chownah,

i ain't got no hair old mate,

actually im as bald as your back bottom but i got some really top trousers in me closet.

lets do your top idea fella.

cool, groovy and peace back to you my top thinking man. :o

I see what you are saying atlastaname but I'm not sure making BKK a bit cleaner and more comfortable for customers is really going to stop you getting your fix of whatever it is that keeps BKK nice and dirty for you :D

Personally I would love to see those buses go, I'm asthmatic and dirty air does cause me some problems but those buses literally stop me breathing, I have to breath with my inhaler because the smog is so thick, we were stuck behind one the other day and as it pulled away from the bus stop the smog from the exhaust filled the entire street, no joke!

I gave up having dangerous fun on tuk-tuks because when I got stuck behind a bus I would almost stop breathing :o

We have to think positive about this - I know that us thinking positive never changed anything but if all of these buses are taken off the road and replaced with newer NGV vehicles then surely there would be much less respiratory illnesses than there must be now

your really pushing your luck nikkijah if your asthmatic and hanging around los. :D

its a wonder your not using self enclosed breathing apperatus to keep your self alive. :D

but you just keep up the positive thinking as that will put in front of the game. :D

cheers :D

terry57 mate, I work here in Bangkok, I've got a family here, I've got friends here, moving to the boonies is not for me...yet, my asthma is actually better here than it is when I'm living in central London - something to do with the humidity I suppose - it's just when I'm near one of these buses and they belch out the black smoke, thats all.

If I was to 'leave this place'(as some have suggested :D ) every time something happened that didn't seem right then I would have left 100 times over, but I stay here with the rest of you, enjoying Bangkok life, I don't think a few improvements will create the 'new singapore' though...

This thread proves to me that most of the people on this forum like complaining for the sake of complaining. Something positive like scrapping (is this a better word for you than 'trashing'?) the old black smoke belching lung killers and people here are suspicious and even naysaying. What?

This black diesel smoke from buses and trucks is killing people. It is one of the most blatantly negative aspects of living and visiting here. I just wish that some politician had taken the initiative decades ago.

well you have a think about that one as you got a top point there.

now if someone is going to take a small point like that ( trashing ) and complain that it aint a correct word. ( unbelievable really ) what is going on in there minds?

let me save you the thinking mbkudu.

the answer is : they are lacking in any sort of comic relief arn't they ?

one of the very important rules of this forum is to have a sense of humour, is it not ?

now to complain about a word like the one above tells me that the person who wrote it needs to head off and have a little chat with his phyciatrist.

i realise that we cant use humour all the time but how about keeping the serious stuff for the big issue's people and not get so silly over a little word.

now you watch this thread for a second mbkuda. someone will come out of the blue crying that im taking the piss here and abuse me.

do you know why they will do that mbkuda ?

dont think to hard mate as i'll answer it for :

its because they have absolutly no sense of humour, no wit at all and are only pond fodder.

thanks mate and by the way your a top bloke in my books. :o:D

im counting it down one, two,

I see what you are saying atlastaname but I'm not sure making BKK a bit cleaner and more comfortable for customers is really going to stop you getting your fix of whatever it is that keeps BKK nice and dirty for you :D

Personally I would love to see those buses go, I'm asthmatic and dirty air does cause me some problems but those buses literally stop me breathing, I have to breath with my inhaler because the smog is so thick, we were stuck behind one the other day and as it pulled away from the bus stop the smog from the exhaust filled the entire street, no joke!

I gave up having dangerous fun on tuk-tuks because when I got stuck behind a bus I would almost stop breathing :o

We have to think positive about this - I know that us thinking positive never changed anything but if all of these buses are taken off the road and replaced with newer NGV vehicles then surely there would be much less respiratory illnesses than there must be now

your really pushing your luck nikkijah if your asthmatic and hanging around los. :D

its a wonder your not using self enclosed breathing apperatus to keep your self alive. :D

but you just keep up the positive thinking as that will put in front of the game. :D

cheers :D

terry57 mate, I work here in Bangkok, I've got a family here, I've got friends here, moving to the boonies is not for me...yet, my asthma is actually better here than it is when I'm living in central London - something to do with the humidity I suppose - it's just when I'm near one of these buses and they belch out the black smoke, thats all.

If I was to 'leave this place'(as some have suggested :D ) every time something happened that didn't seem right then I would have left 100 times over, but I stay here with the rest of you, enjoying Bangkok life, I don't think a few improvements will create the 'new singapore' though...

good on you mate,

as you'd be a mad man to leave los as its freaking paradise compared to where you come from.

i dont live here yet as im still earning the green backs but been coming here for 20 years and love los with all my bleeding heart.

but as you say we must take the good with the bad.

respect to you my good man and keep well away from those freaking smoke belching buses. :D

actually im as bald as your back bottom but i got some really top trousers in me closet.

And you know that, how? :o

you got me on that one did'nt you twais.

dont tell you got an arse thats as hairy as bob marly's nogging as ill have to buy a frigging wig. :D

you deserve 100 points fella as slang is truely a part of the ever evolving langauge.

australians use it a lot in every day speak etc etc

Cheers dude - makes a change from being dissed..............respect

Edited by slim

Who writes these titles? That has to be one of the worst uses of the word 'Trash' i have ever read.

================================================================

You know what ? You are totally correct; it is written (obvioulsy) by someone, who has no knowledge of the endless possibilities of the beautiful english language !

:D

JGK/Pattaya

is it the english language or the beautiful american language ?????

(engelse of die mooie amerikaanse taal ?????)

:o

6-8 months?...ok lets convert this thai time into real world time.

We should start seeing some changes in about 5 years.

That's being realistic. Good.

A couple of points:

1. The way this article is written it sounds as though Thaksin made this decision himself! If this is true, Apirak (the governor/mayor of BKK) must be grinding his teeth now! :D

2. Does Shincorp have a subsidiary that manufactures NGV bus engines? :D:o

A couple of points:

1. The way this article is written it sounds as though Thaksin made this decision himself! If this is true, Apirak (the governor/mayor of BKK) must be grinding his teeth now! :D

2. Does Shincorp have a subsidiary that manufactures NGV bus engines? :D:o

1. Maybe 'Apirak' now needs a swift kick in the arse after he is done grinding his teeth :D .

2. Who f*&^%$g cares? I and a lot of people are tired of breathing the sh*t. A 14 year old student of mine has had respiratory illnesses for the past 10 years of his life :D . If you'd like to have long discussions with committees and sub-committees and sub-sub-committees, I guess it could be arranged. :D

The way that the article was written and how it comes across in translation are likely to be two different things.

We 'farangs' read meanings into the choice of words by interpretators that are simply not there in the original Thai.

For instance, the statement that Thaksin has 'ordered' that the buses be replaced suggests to us something far more dictatorial than how it probably was done.

I know there are times when my wife phones and asks a favour of a friend to pass a message; and she asks very politely, with the effect of "If you don't mind, and if it wouldn't be too much trouble.....". But my wife will say to me "I have ordered my friend to......".

It is not clear that new buses will be purchased, or the old claptraps simply repowered

I wonder where the old buses will go - you can bet it will not be into the crusher. If they are not destroyed you can bet that they will resurface or morph into something else, somewhere else.

Perhaps we will get them in Chiangmai for the long touted modern transit system.

While he is at it, why not dictate that particulate filters be fitted to ALL diesel engines, and then ban 2-strokes.

I remain hopefully sceptical.

I'm confused why air conditioning in the cabin has anything to do with transitioning to natural gas.

Thank you! I was reading through more than one page already to find whether somebody would wonder why an NGV bus necessarily must have airconditioning as well. I saw friends at work changing an old BMW Serie 5 from benzine to NGV. Why would that not work for these lovely dorless crap buses?

While I agree that the black smoke is a terrible pollution and certainly causes respiratory track problem to some people, I can tell you that if all buses are airconditioned you will find plenty of people who get sick, catch a cold. Especially during rainy season when it is not 40 degrees Celsius outside the airconditioned buses turn into frozen goods transporters.

One more question: I'm not a frequent news reader as I have found out that knowing all the news does not add much value to my life, but... do we still call him Prime Minister?

I'm confused why air conditioning in the cabin has anything to do with transitioning to natural gas.

Thank you! I was reading through more than one page already to find whether somebody would wonder why an NGV bus necessarily must have airconditioning as well. I saw friends at work changing an old BMW Serie 5 from benzine to NGV. Why would that not work for these lovely dorless crap buses?

While I agree that the black smoke is a terrible pollution and certainly causes respiratory track problem to some people, I can tell you that if all buses are airconditioned you will find plenty of people who get sick, catch a cold. Especially during rainy season when it is not 40 degrees Celsius outside the airconditioned buses turn into frozen goods transporters.

One more question: I'm not a frequent news reader as I have found out that knowing all the news does not add much value to my life, but... do we still call him Prime Minister?

A simple reading of the origional article would provide your answer.

The old busses are being replaced with A/C busses.

The new busses will run on natural gas that costs less to buy than deisel.

The savings in fuel will assist paying for the A/C without the need to increase fares.

A side benefit is the reduced pollution from the natural gas fuel.

Whether it all happens is another matter.

Not a chance, this time next year them black smoke belching, lob sided wrecks will still be flying aorund Bangkok at silly speeds.

Let’s wait and see before screaming our head’s off!

I know mr T said things before, but with diesel prices going sky high he might be right and maybe he keeps his word this time!

:o

Not so sure... BTW there are rumors coming to Europe from quite reliable sources in Bangkok (including embassies and military) that the military is planning a coup d'etat next week against Toxin if he does not resign... Just for everyone there, be carefull...

A simple reading of the origional article would provide your answer.

The old busses are being replaced with A/C busses.

The new busses will run on natural gas that costs less to buy than deisel.

The savings in fuel will assist paying for the A/C without the need to increase fares.

A side benefit is the reduced pollution from the natural gas fuel.

Whether it all happens is another matter.

The question was why would they not just change the diesel engines to NGV engines - keeping the old, non airconditioned buses. Haven't seen the answer to this in the original article.

Goodbye and good riddence to the old claptrap busses. Maybe they will sell them all to one of the poorer neighboring countries and when people's need for nostalgia is too great they can take a short holiday.

But nostalgia is no longer what it used to be, in those golden days of the past.

A few years back there were still a few taxis in Udon that were Holdens and so forth from the time that the Americans were here in the 1960s. But I don't see them now.

(However, the last time that I went to Vientiane, my taxi back to the Freedom Bridge was a 1954 Mercedes. So there is still a vestige of the Good Old Days left.)

Not a chance, this time next year them black smoke belching, lob sided wrecks will still be flying aorund Bangkok at silly speeds.

Yes and thats what we all love about Thailand .. the chaos. Why can't Taksin leave it how it is instead of trying to make it all sanitised like dreary Singapore.

Off topic.

I Don't know about dreary singapore... the night life there is by far and away superior to BKK, which comes across as very sanitised!