Royal Thai Police to get new facelift

Lite Beer

Well this guy is talking a good story. Now let's see if any of this materializes in our lifetime. I certainly hope it will though I am not holding my breath.

Well they did quite a big clean up in Pattaya but perhaps they should look at some of the areas surrounding Pattaya. !00% you will find a lot of corruption there

Yes, they did a great job, no more jetski scams, no more police tea money, no more beach chair thugs.. oh wait... theres one,

oh, and a scratched jetski, oh and pardon? 200bht officer, certainly.... what was it for exactly?

They did nothing that has lasted.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The government would have to truly be willing to commit $500 billion perhaps $1 trillion to bringing any meaningful reforms of the Thai Police Department. Extensive overseas training, extensive training with experts from all over the world, extensive forensic equipment, world class crime labs with world.class equipment, massive retraining of staff and most important of all substantial raises in the salaries, to the point where the average policeman can live comfortably, support his family and not have to bribe innocents, for a silly gesture in order for the policeman to survive. Anything less is pure jawboning.

Far less expensive to bring in foreign experts than to do training overseas.

Salaries certainly do need to increase.

The major issue is changing the culture inside the police to one that supports whistle blowing instead of punishing it.

(aside) this story is not about Koh Tao.

• Like 1

If he could only teach everyone how to spend 1.2 billion whilst only having 300 million ion assets there would be no need for corruption.

Now be fair, he is an equal half partner in that venture so is not responsible for paying all the 1.2 Billion baht, just the mere 0.6 Billion baht.................................coffee1.gif

I had a mini-confrontation with an RTP in town today. Parked on a city street. There was no red & white paint on the curb, no fire hydrant, etc. a cop started strolling towards my car. I stopped and looked at him. He acted evasive, wouldn't look at me, turned sideways (we were about 7 meters apart.) I went and did a quick errand. When I returned, there was a ticket on my windshield. It was only 200 baht, and I paid it at the local station, but I lightly berated the cop for pretending not to notice me, while I stopped and looked squarely at him for about 12 seconds, right after I parked. It turns out there were a few dirty white lines, 1 meter long and almost same color as the dark gray pavement at the place I parked (motorcycle parking). It was essentially entrapment. It was a small deal, so I'm not going to fret about it. I've seen other cars park there at all hours and not get ticketed, but they're late-model, and they leave a turn signal flashing. And they're Thai drivers and I'm farang, so those are probably the petty reasons I got ticketed, and others didn't.

A good start may be to pay them a livable wage and make them sign a contract. If you accept this these are the rules, if you break the rules these will be the consequences. If you aid in reform you will get promoted and put up to the next pay level....

Give them no reason to do it, wave a big stick, followed by a carrot.

Police Chief Somyot seems to have a comfortable lifestyle, though for some reason you ignored that.........................................coffee1.gif

Didn't really ignore it, the only way to get rid of the corruption at the top is to jail them, follow the money, audit the lot of them......

Back to "people in glass houses (ain't gonna throw....."

You can't make rotten eggs good again. You have to throw them out, and find fresh ones.

Additionally you can't change the colour of the police force's spots overnight, most have lived with corruption for their whole career. But you can change the mindset of the new recruits. Train them to be proper police and to uphold the law fairly. Plus get rid of the Bangkok City Council "cigarette police". These bullies in pseudo-police uniforms continue to drag down the image of the real police in the eyes of the general population.

If he could only teach everyone how to spend 1.2 billion whilst only having 300 million ion assets there would be no need for corruption.

Now be fair, he is an equal half partner in that venture so is not responsible for paying all the 1.2 Billion baht, just the mere 0.6 Billion baht.................................coffee1.gif

I stand corrected, his daughter, the rapidly rising CEO star was the other investor perhaps??

She might be rich but look at it, you just would not bar fine that!!

Forget the money what really pi55es me off is that he got the gold cushion in the photo.

Take it they've never heard of Specific, Measurable, Achieveable, Realistic and Time bound then...... On the outside looking in none of these things has even come in to thought, hot air pure and simple. And incidentally how does a police officer lay claim to hundreds of millions of baht, didn't know the government salaries paid that high coffee1.gif

Never going to happen ... it'll just carry on as normal, but slightly more discreetly for a while ... other than (of course) their crusade to clean out all Thaksin-affiliated (bought and paid for) Policemen, which will continue and isn't such a bad thing.

I bet a few days ago you thought what is happening now was "Never going to happen." And yet ....

A good start may be to pay them a livable wage and make them sign a contract. If you accept this these are the rules, if you break the rules these will be the consequences. If you aid in reform you will get promoted and put up to the next pay level....

Give them no reason to do it, wave a big stick, followed by a carrot.

Police Chief Somyot seems to have a comfortable lifestyle, though for some reason you ignored that.........................................coffee1.gif

Police Chief Somyot was already rich; money given by his father; just like Prayuth father gave money to Prayuth from the land sales.

BTW Somyot is not the suspect here.

The government would have to truly be willing to commit $500 billion perhaps $1 trillion to bringing any meaningful reforms of the Thai Police Department. Extensive overseas training, extensive training with experts from all over the world, extensive forensic equipment, world class crime labs with world.class equipment, massive retraining of staff and most important of all substantial raises in the salaries, to the point where the average policeman can live comfortably, support his family and not have to bribe innocents, for a silly gesture in order for the policeman to survive. Anything less is pure jawboning.

At the rate they found for the first few they caught it will not take long for the 500 billion to be self funding.

Edited by harrry

Never going to happen ... it'll just carry on as normal, but slightly more discreetly for a while ... other than (of course) their crusade to clean out all Thaksin-affiliated (bought and paid for) Policemen, which will continue and isn't such a bad thing.

I bet a few days ago you thought what is happening now was "Never going to happen." And yet ....

Well put...

But the real question is... are they actually going to stop "the game"...or just substitute new players on the team.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Somyot Phumpanmuang vowed to clean the Royal Thai Police of all corruption and make it a new government agency with morality and good governance where the people can rely on.

ABOUT *&^%$#* TIME!

Err...Hang on... Jing Jing? Not just another face making proclamation with no/limited follow up?

After the corruption bit has been tackled.. are you going to get the police to actually DO THEIR %^&*$ JOBS? Enforce laws? Especially traffic and safety laws?

Nah.... I doubt it. All will continue as usual. You never learn from past mistakes as they're all swept under the carpet and forgotten. All part of the stifling face saving culture. You're stuck with it Thailand. You just don't know how to do things correctly. Simple as that. Maybe in another 600 years or so you may get the hang of things through pure luck.

Good luck!!

ZZzzzzzz

Edited by Fullstop

Ha ha, ok ...

"It's unlikely to happen anytime soon ..."

or

"It's unlikely to happen with this generation and perhaps even the next ..."

Is that better ...?

• Like 1

Ok let's talk about the elephant in the room. Is the current chief of police going to

even pretend he does not or did not know in the past know EXACTLY what was going on

in his ranks ? I find that hard to believe. So either he is taking us for fools, or he

is so incompetent maybe he actually did not know what his officers were doing.

In either event this big corruption " crack down" is pretty funny ....

• Like 1