Home school or better school in CR?

ChaangNoi

Hi all, I have gotten some pretty good advice on this site so I will try my luck again.

My son is in 2nd grade at an International type school here in CR and is not getting the education we are paying for. The first semester cost us just under 300,000 Baht and our son is either way behind or bored out of his mind. The school has many students from China and Myanmar so their focus is mostly on English. Since my son is very skilled in English he is very bored. Also since he had been educated in the USA before he is way beyond the math skills he is currently being taught (4 + 4 and the like, not even kidding). He is way behind in Thai as he has never been taught this before. Since he is either bored or so far behind he has been acting out as any frustrated bored kid would do. The solution the school has been using to correct this behaviors is isolation but that has only made the issue more intense. His teacher is new to Thailand and we feel is not motivated to do anything to help our son. She even refused to the principle 3 times to his request (not ours) to engage us on the telephone if there was an issue at school. Her response was, to his and our shock, "I am too busy". I have never seen my wife so angry.

So clearly we are not happy with the current situation and think it might be best to take our son out of the school. For the cost that we are spending we would be able to hire a motivated and qualified teacher just teach our son. Since he will be returning to the USA next year we think this might be the best option so he can keep up with the Americans in math/science and also learn some Thai while he is here. He has dual citizenship so we feel learning both would be good for him.

Also we are open to moving him over to a new school in CR if there is one that will fit his needs. I think however the biggest issue would be that his first semester will end in late Dec and that is not going to mach up with most of the schools here.

So any ideas, thoughts of schools in the area, know any good teachers who need work?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

bumping this up as i am curious about new info on schools there... we are considering chiang rai (have lived there before- when we had no children) but worried that the schools aren't great?

happy to hear any real insight from people with kids in the various schools...

Hi,

My wife is originally from Chiang Rai & we would like to move back there.

The main thing which is stopping us is our childrens' education.

From our research, CRIS seems like the best option for a western education in Chiang Rai.

Would be interesting to hear which school the OP's son is attending.