Retirement visa/extension of stay process

Before I start; I know it's an "extension of stay" and not a retirement visa. I only use the term retirement visa as it's easier. A lot of the other threads get off topic with semantics concerning this issue.

Anyway, I'm going to apply for the retirement visa and was wondering if, after applying you have to be "in country" 30 days later to supply/pick up your passport? I'm not going to be here 30 days after I apply; I'll be back at work. I can hear people now, "Why the retirement visa if you're still working"? Easier for me than any other alternative.

Thanks in advance for any sensible answers

Currently it seems to depend on the office where you are applying. Some have instituted an "under consideration period", some haven't. Where are you living and what office will you be using to apply? You might get some better answers as to the current policy at that office.

I have only seen a report of one office giving a 30 day under consideration period for an extension of stay based upon retirement. There was another office that had a person come back after 7 days.

The majority offices will do the extension stamp on the same day you apply.

"Before I start; I know it's an "extension of stay" and not a retirement visa. I only use the term retirement visa as it's easier. A lot of the other threads get off topic with semantics concerning this issue."

If you know it's wrong, why do it to start with?

If you do get an extension, don't forget to get a re-entry permit.

• Like 1