Gay Fiction

popshirt

I am a gay fiction junkie, and by gay fiction I mean "mainstream" gay fiction, not necessarily erotica (although I read some of that as well!).

I have found a selection of used fiction at Dhasa Books on Sukhumvit but it is fairly limited and remains somewhat static over time.

I have two questions:

(1) Where are the best places to fiind and buy gay fiction in Bkk?

and

(2) What is your experience with mail order from the US/UK/OZ to Bkk? Do any of you belong to gay book clubs in English-speaking countries and receive books by mail?

Thanks. Back to my book.

Dear Popshirt,

There are a surprising number of English-language bookstores with gay sections in Bangkok. The most common and easiest to deal with would be the Bookazines, especially the one in Central Silom and at the street level next to Siam BTS station.

There's a more exotic and expensive bookshop in Central silom upstairs which has/used to have gay Thai ownership- you might want to check that out as well.

I don't do much mail order myself, but I have a good friend who's had no trouble getting his books in Thailand through Amazon. Magazines were apparently a little more difficult (kept getting stolen in the post until he told them to wrap them in opaque envelopes).

"Steven"

I don't know much in this subject, and I would love to know, too. I've been to Dhasa and Kinokuniya @both Emporium and Siam Paragon (I love this store! The closest to a real bookstore I can find in BKK), but their gay section, if they ever have one, is small.

Gay books, seems to me anyway, are gone faster than any other books, particulary my favorite genres, mystery and romance (I know, I know I am a sucker for romance, so sue me! :o ). Perhaps, there are not many places you can get this kind of books in Thailand (I don't mean magazines or other picture books), and, I suspect, there are more demand than supply here.

I wish there could be a gay book/specialty store here in Thailand, but I also realize why we don't have one. For a country known all the world over for (sleazy) sex, it is really repressed in this regard. It has something to do with that "face" thing, or more formally, "culture" thing as the Ministry of Culture would like us to believe. (Sorry. I can't help but to rant somewhat.) :D

Would anyone who has experiences in ordering books from abroad, e.g. Amazon, kindly give some advice? Would it be too expensive, considering shipping and handling fees? Could you purchase with a Thai bank account or Thai credit card? Would the charge for exchange rate be high? Would the package has to go through customs? I heard that occasionally packages are opened (and lost) before reaching addressees. Could you trust the mail/shipping companies? What about if it is something considered "racy" for Thai customs, etc.? Blah..blah..blah.....

Again, sorry for so many questions. Hopefully, someone would know answers to this, and that would be greatly appreciated. Inquiring minds want to know na. :D

I don't know much in this subject, and I would love to know, too. I've been to Dhasa and Kinokuniya @both Emporium and Siam Paragon (I love this store! The closest to a real bookstore I can find in BKK), but their gay section, if they ever have one, is small.

Gay books, seems to me anyway, are gone faster than any other books, particulary my favorite genres, mystery and romance (I know, I know I am a sucker for romance, so sue me! :o ). Perhaps, there are not many places you can get this kind of books in Thailand (I don't mean magazines or other picture books), and, I suspect, there are more demand than supply here.

I wish there could be a gay book/specialty store here in Thailand, but I also realize why we don't have one. For a country known all the world over for (sleazy) sex, it is really repressed in this regard. It has something to do with that "face" thing, or more formally, "culture" thing as the Ministry of Culture would like us to believe. (Sorry. I can't help but to rant somewhat.) :D

Would anyone who has experiences in ordering books from abroad, e.g. Amazon, kindly give some advice? Would it be too expensive, considering shipping and handling fees? Could you purchase with a Thai bank account or Thai credit card? Would the charge for exchange rate be high? Would the package has to go through customs? I heard that occasionally packages are opened (and lost) before reaching addressees. Could you trust the mail/shipping companies? What about if it is something considered "racy" for Thai customs, etc.? Blah..blah..blah.....

Again, sorry for so many questions. Hopefully, someone would know answers to this, and that would be greatly appreciated. Inquiring minds want to know na. :D

I order from Amazon on almost a weekly basis and have never had trouble getting product, either books or magazines. Haven't tried to order any erotica but I'm sure it would arrive safe and sound. Even a certain book, which shall remain nameless as it is banned in Thailand, is readily available on Amazon and arrives without any hassles.