The continuing song teaw pricing saga

daoyai

Again, there is no official rate. It depends on length of your journey.. How many in the songthaew are already going your way. Etc. Someone just posted an article from the governor showing the rides are usually 20-30. This is about correct.

Of course if you just throw 20 baht in the drivers face and walk away every time, you'd never know different.

I've been Songthaews often where Thais were paying 40 baht to their destination from Arcade and I was only paying 20. Why? They were going significantly further than I was and there was only 2 of us in the songthaew.

smile.png I am always very polite when paying, and most of the drivers are extremly polite in return.

Edited by daoyai

Of course if you just throw 20 baht in the drivers face and walk away every time, you'd never know different.

No one throws 20 baht in the drivers face, anyone who has been here a while knows it's better to be polite to songthaew drivers, as some can become quite irate if provoked. But anyone who embarks on asking how much at the end of the journey will invariably be seen as a mug and most likely overcharged.

I do a fair bit of hop-on hop-off with the yellow and occasionally green vans between the river and Hang Dong Road. Everywhere up to Tesco on Hang Dong Road is 10 baht, Big C and Makro is 12 I think, but I give 15 and don't take the change. Every now and again a driver will look very disappointed when I hand over my 10 baht, but mostly they're great. With the red ones, I've always been of the opinion that if money is not mentioned, it's 20 baht. I tell them where I'm going and they are either going to go that way or they're not. I only check on price if I'm going a bit further than I think is reasonable, then I have to decide whether it's worth it to me to pay what they ask.

I think daoyai just got unlucky and had the grumpy driver. The overwhelming majority of these drivers, who surely can't make a great deal of money, are nice, honest, and friendly.

No one throws 20 baht in the drivers face, anyone who has been here a while knows it's better to be polite to songthaew drivers, as some can become quite irate if provoked. But anyone who embarks on asking how much at the end of the journey will invariably be seen as a mug and most likely overcharged.

You seem determined to remain ignorant. Ask before the journey and set a price as the Thais do. There is no official "20" baht. It depends entirely on how far you're going. How many are already in the songthaew going your way, etc... I've paid 10 baht and 15 baht for rides as well. And have been in the Songthaew where Thais were paying 30 and 40 baht while I was paying 20 due to my shorter distance.

You're the mug if you just give them 20 baht every time without asking before/after the journey how much it is.

Because they agreed to pay more than 20 baht or the driver would have turned them down, because their destination was too far or in an inconvenient place. That is how the system works.

If you tell the driver where your are going and he just says yes or nods his head affirmatively, the price is 20 baht.

THIS. ^^^^^

Yes, they agreed. Of course. Negotiating prior to the ride. This has nothing to do with 20 baht being official no matter where you're going. It certainly is not this way. For Thais or foreigners and it never has been.

It's absurd to think you can go wherever you want to wherever for 20 baht no matter what, and that Thais always pay 20 baht no matter where they're going to/from. 20 baht may be the most paid price, but it's certainly not "official" rule or law. That is just an ignorant old wive's tales past around the forum and taken as gospel.

Edited by happysanook

Because they agreed to pay more than 20 baht or the driver would have turned them down, because their destination was too far or in an inconvenient place. That is how the system works.

If you tell the driver where your are going and he just says yes or nods his head affirmatively, the price is 20 baht.

THIS. ^^^^^

It's absurd to think you can go wherever you want to wherever for 20 baht no matter what, and that Thais always pay 20 baht no matter where they're going to/from. 20 baht may be the most paid price, but it's certainly not "official" rule or law. That is just an ignorant old wive's tales past around the forum and taken as gospel.

Wow, you're really hung up on this "official rule" thing. Who cares if it's an official rule or not? In practice, this is how it works for me....I state the destination, if the driver agrees I get in and pay 20 baht when I get out. No negotiating price. What you do is your business.

• Like 1