The continuing song teaw pricing saga

daoyai

What is the "official" policy? is there one? todays experience, rode a regular route, KSK to gad luang, done it countless time always 20 baht, occasionally the driver will ask more for farang I always wave them on and always find a normal fare. Today same as usual but when I got out and handed the driver 20, he said seesib, I said sow baht and walked away, .... he yelled at me before driving away. There were other passengers on the way also so he made some money....reactions?

Mr JT, please go to Chiang Mai and sort those song teaw drivers out.

They seem to be out of order.

You have done a good job in Pattayia baht buses, you can do it in CM alsothumbsup.gif

you will need to send a map. Chiang Mai has been forgotten. bikes riding on footpaths, blocking paths where they park, song tiaws charging what they like.

Bars and others having to pay to stay open late at night.

There is no "official" policy. They can charge whatever they want. It's always been this way. Just because they *usually* charge 20 doesn't mean it's official or obligated. Just make sure you set the price before jumping in the back.

The governor thinks it's official.

Cost of Songthaew Journeys in City to be Slashed to 10 Baht Aug 29, 2014

Society

CityNews - The governor of Chiang Mai has announced a new plan to reduce the costs of songthaews around the city to 10 baht a journey from September 1.
Suriya Prasartbandit announced at the local government’s weekly press meeting that after the recent re-organisation of public transport around the city, he now plans to reduce the cost of songthaews to 10 baht per journey and five baht for students. The current price for a journey is 20-30 baht.

There is no "official" policy. They can charge whatever they want. It's always been this way. Just because they *usually* charge 20 doesn't mean it's official or obligated. Just make sure you set the price before jumping in the back.

There is an official rate. They have to tell you if they want more and you can agree or refuse.

Asking before you jump in the back invariably means you'll pay a higher fare than need be, as the driver will know you are unfamiliar with how Chiang Mai songtheaws work.

Edited by uptheos

The governor thinks it's official.

Cost of Songthaew Journeys in City to be Slashed to 10 Baht Aug 29, 2014

Society

CityNews - The governor of Chiang Mai has announced a new plan to reduce the costs of songthaews around the city to 10 baht a journey from September 1.
Suriya Prasartbandit announced at the local government’s weekly press meeting that after the recent re-organisation of public transport around the city, he now plans to reduce the cost of songthaews to 10 baht per journey and five baht for students. The current price for a journey is 20-30 baht.

Maybe there's a language barrier here, but what I see is "current price for a journey is 20-30 baht". Nothing about KSK to Kad Luang being officially 20 baht. And nothing at all about even 20-30 being "official" policy. It depends mainly on # of people in for the ride and how far they need to go. Or they can choose to not take you at all depending on their current direction.

Asking before you jump in the back invariably means you'll pay a higher fare than need be, as the driver will know you are unfamiliar with how Chiang Mai songtheaws work.

Interesting, I've found it to be the exact opposite. Are you perhaps new to the Chiang mai? Even Thais ask how much and negotiate a price before they get in unless it's a route songthaew (chiang mai to lamphun for example).

Interesting, I've found it to be the exact opposite. Are you perhaps new to the Chiang mai? Even Thais ask how much and negotiate a price before they get in unless it's a route songthaew (chiang mai to lamphun for example).

You would if you always ask the price laugh.png

Thais do not negotiate the price on local routes.

And you wouldn't... If you're just jumping in and paying whatever you want after the ride :D

Thais DO negotiate a price on songthaews... Nearly always. Again, assuming it's not a routed songthaew (example...chiang mai to lamphun).

And you wouldn't... If you're just jumping in and paying whatever you want after the ride biggrin.png

Thais DO negotiate a price on songthaews... Nearly always. Again, assuming it's not a routed songthaew (example...chiang mai to lamphun).

I pay 20 baht if the driver nods yes, not a baht more, just the same as Thais.

• Like 1

And you wouldn't... If you're just jumping in and paying whatever you want after the ride biggrin.png

I pay 20 baht if the driver nods yes, not a baht more, just the same as Thais.

Perhaps this is multiverse theory coming to fruition....and now our universes are intersecting for a few moments? In the CM I've lived in, Thais don't always pay 20 baht (also evidenced in the article from above where it says a journey is 20-30). It depends how far and how many people they have along for the ride. I've been in songthaews where I paid less than Thais did. The Thai paying 40 and me 20. Generally speaking, yes it's 20 baht, but it does depend on length of the journey and how many people in the group, and there's certainly no official set rate.

Never set a price before you get in the back unless he gives you a price and you agree to it. Tell them where you are going and if they say yes just get in the back and when you get out hand them 20 baht. If it is not on a route where they figure they will get no other riders or people returning they will ask for more. Nothing unusual about that common sense tells us they will. Make up your mind if it is fair and proceed accordingly or say no and wait for the next one to come along. Chances are if there is a long wait between them coming along you are in a place that will cost you more money.

I believe there is an official price for red songthaew's that are not on predetermined routes. I think it is 17 baht.

Perhaps this is multiverse theory coming to fruition....and now our universes are intersecting for a few moments? In the CM I've lived in, Thais don't always pay 20 baht (also evidenced in the article from above where it says a journey is 20-30). It depends how far and how many people they have along for the ride. I've been in songthaews where I paid less than Thais did. The Thai paying 40 and me 20. Generally speaking, yes it's 20 baht, but it does depend on length of the journey and how many people in the group, and there's certainly no official set rate.

If the driver nods yes it's 20 Baht not a baht more, if he doesn't nod yes it could be a 50.100, 200, 300 baht negotiated.

Are we in the same universe yet? facepalm.gif..................you're aving a laff aren't you? biggrin.png

If the driver nods yes it's 20 Baht not a baht more, if he doesn't nod yes it could be a 50.100, 200, 300 baht negotiated.

Are we in the same universe yet? facepalm.gif..................you're aving a laff aren't you? biggrin.png

I can only assume you're new to chiang mai. There is no official 20 baht rate set. There never has been. For thai or for foreigners. It depends how many you're with... How many are already in the songthaew and going your way... How far you're going. I see Thais negotiating ALL THE TIME before they get in the songthaew. Youre either completely full of it. Or haven't been paying attention.

I could see how if you're only going a couple KM here and there you might be fooled into thinking the rate is 20 baht from anywhere to anywhere, but its far from the truth.

This 20 baht thing is nothing more than an old wives tale farang like to pass on. But like much of this sort of thing, its complete bull.

Edited by happysanook

Happysanook, you play by your own rules and it seems to work for you but my experience of only 10 years is as uptheos and others have stated, if the driver wants more than 20 (used to be 15) then it is commonly agreed to before entering. That is why I started this thread as the driver in this incident acted as if I were cheating him, yelling harshly at me as I walked away. i was curious to know if there were ANY rules in place for the red cars. In my decade of riding the red beasts I have only had 2 experiences that were unusual, the first was a trip up to Nimman where the driver asked what soi and turned on that soi and took me all the way, then smiled on arrival and said 30, I smiled back and paid, bit of extra service there. The second was a trip from downtown to the Holiday Inn, long haul, the driver didn't state a price so I got in, no other passengers were found on the way, I gave him 70, he seemed happy with that.

• Like 1

I can only assume you're new to chiang mai. There is no official 20 baht rate set. There never has been.

There IS an official rate. It is actually a little less than 20 baht - but almost everyone pays 20 baht, including Thais - and every time it is changed, it is posted in all the songteaws.

• Like 2

It's my understanding (and it seems to be the understanding of the drivers) that the rate is 20 baht. I tell them where I want to go and if they nod, I hop in the back, when they stop there, I hand them 20 baht and everything's fine. Every so often, one will ask for a higher rate at the end and I act all surprised as say "sow baht tammada" and walk away. End of discussion. No one's come chasing after me yet. The time to set the price is before I get into the song thaew, not at the end.

Last week, I did have a driver pick me up near River Market and invite me to sit up front with him. This happens from time-to-time, I think because I'm an older woman and can speak some Thai and the drivers like to chat. I thanked him and commented that it was nice and cool in his vehicle and we chatted for a while and then he asked for 50 baht, in very polite Thai. I was a little exasperated because we already had started the journey -- what choice did I have at that point? I shut down the conversation. I figured no more free entertainment if he was expecting me to pay more than 20 baht.

Again, there is no official rate. It depends on length of your journey.. How many in the songthaew are already going your way. Etc. Someone just posted an article from the governor showing the rides are usually 20-30. This is about correct.

Of course if you just throw 20 baht in the drivers face and walk away every time, you'd never know different.

I've been Songthaews often where Thais were paying 40 baht to their destination from Arcade and I was only paying 20. Why? They were going significantly further than I was and there was only 2 of us in the songthaew.

Because they agreed to pay more than 20 baht or the driver would have turned them down, because their destination was too far or in an inconvenient place. That is how the system works.

If you tell the driver where your are going and he just says yes or nods his head affirmatively, the price is 20 baht.

THIS. ^^^^^