Education System in Thailand: A Terrible Failure

Scott

The article is a bit old, it's from last year, but it seems to still be relevant today.

The basic issue, IMO, is that you can't keep changing direction and then wonder why you never get to where you are going. Of course, I am not sure that they really want to go anywhere.

I know that it is getting harder to recruit teachers and that the educational level of the teachers isn't improving.

There are still a lot of applicants who maintain themselves on a retirement visa or a non-O visa and are not eligible for a work permit.

As a general rule, the country is lacking in both quality and quantity of teachers.

• Like 1

It's terribly depressing, that's for sure. A quarter of a century ago the catch-cry was "Education is in crisis and needs critical repair." Will it still be the same a quarter of a century from now? It cost me many millions of baht to educate my daughter outside of the Thai system. It should not have had to be that way.

• Like 2

I know that it is getting harder to recruit teachers and that the educational level of the teachers isn't improving.

There are still a lot of applicants who maintain themselves on a retirement visa or a non-O visa and are not eligible for a work permit.

As a general rule, the country is lacking in both quality and quantity of teachers.

This is a bit ambiguous Scott.

Do you mean that the law prevents you from employing qualified teachers because they are on retirement (probably as they would correct in the Thai Visa Forum to Extension of Stays smile.png ) or do you mean that because the person is on a retirement pension they are not good candidates as is implied in the article?

If they are on a retirement visa, they cannot legally work and get a Work Permit.

The point is that there are fewer people available for worker. The Thai wage scale means that many of the people looking for work are not properly qualified. Thus, there are problems in both finding employees and in keeping employees.

Eventually some of the better teachers run out of waivers to the Teacher's License.

• Like 1

… if the government simply mandated that a college degree and a TEFL certificate were the basic qualifications to teach in Thailand, this would rid them of most of the Western men here who aren't qualified to teach.

Geez, a bit sexist there, Cassandra. Pretty sure not all the Western women teaching are qualified, either.

• Like 2

http://quangninh.gov.vn/en-US/Pages/Tin%20chi%20ti%E1%BA%BFt.aspx?newsid=1677&cid=1&dt=2014-06-18

No such issues in Vietnam?! Oops, no way would >99% of all students graduate.

For comparison, they are obsessed with grammar and the level of homework students are being burdened with is unbelievable.

Personally, I bemoan the lack of chances for the brightest and very best young Thai teachers. The crusty tenure system and all, the countless classes sacrificed for some stuff like yet another long-winded speech or something...

At a primary school, they all had little plastic chairs to sit on. thumbsup.gif

Thailand needs a customer centric approach, JMHO. We need to make it fun. We need to focus on students' needs, not what suits us as teachers...

It really is a pretty awful system from my experience as a teacher and as parent. I accept that every country will develop its unique approach to education based on local circumstances and priorities.

Recently I watched a video about early years in Sweden. They don't start formal school there until aged 7 and yet by 10 they lead Europe's literacy tables. Here in Thailand kids often start nursery at 2 which usually involves wearing a uniform followed by three years in Kindergarten and then 6 grades of primary. It seems they want to get a pencil into children's hands as quickly possible here and have them involved in formal, desk based and book-based learning as early as possible. What it seems to result in is a lot of hyperactive children who in subsequent years struggle to learn effectively.

When I have raised these matters with managers, parents, even Thai academics involved in developing Thai education, I get fobbed off with the usual pish: this is the Thai way, it's what the parents want, etc

This is the problem - the teachers can't learn and will not consider doing things differently. There is a very considerable body of educational expertise available which if applied could help to transform the system. There are many highly qualified people who could lead on its implementation. There really are no excuses.

What is happening instead is not progress but a growing divide between the system here and everywhere else in Asia, and the rest of the world. It's getting worse and as technology transforms learning everywhere else in the world, Thai kids and their parents are being left behind.

• Like 1

It really is a failure. My five years at the "top 3" Unis made me an old man before my time. Around 90% of the rich kids were much more interested in IPhones than in learning. When I went to a meeting at a Rajabhat, the Thai English Teachers could barely speak English. At another one I visited, the kids were eating and yapping in class. In Malaysia and Vietnam, the kids are brighter and better, even the Malays! And the SPore kids are a dream.

Yes, this is an old topic that does the rounds all the time.

Trouble is, it's a vicious cycle or spiral. You can't just fix it in 2 years. It will take about 30-50 years to fix, if the culture ever takes it seriously. Which it don't.

Some people say "Ah, but wait for ASEAN". Asean won't change anything.

Eddy

• Like 1

What I dislike most about this article and in fact most comments on education in Thailand is that they relate only to English Language Teaching and then transpose this to the whole system.

You're right Harrry. In addition, the OP was about the general malaise in the Thai education system and NOT surely aimed at only foreign English teachers. IMHO most Thai English teachers that I have come into contact with professionally, have difficulty stringing a simple English sentence together. What hope is there for the students being taught by these substandard educationalists in ANY subject. :-(

• Like 1

I have to agree......With exception of our small school aged 3-7 years old 125 students....I have 6 year Olds that read and write better than the Teenagers at the public school. My 3 year olds can recite their abc's...and by the time their 4 and 5 can carryon a conversation in English better than students at Kong Kaen's Universities.

Another way to control the masses? Educated people ask questions and try to reason. Maybe, that is not acceptable is some circles of Thai hierarchy? whistling.gif

But change is not impossible, provided there is a will to make change. If there is no will, there is no way!

• Like 1

What I dislike most about this article and in fact most comments on education in Thailand is that they relate only to English Language Teaching and then transpose this to the whole system.

Then hie thee to Asian Correspondent and its four-part series on the many failures of the Thai education system, covering all four disciplines of the STEM curriculum. It's a couple years old but seems like it could have been written just yesterday.

There's an old saying that "teaching is THE occupation that creates all other professions".

Please look at the ordinary Thai teachers in a white uniform with more stars and emblems than an American Army General has.( which is already ridiculous)..

Then please ask them why "Passa Farang" doesn't necessarily mean speaking English. Oh no, we don't want to lose face now, do we?.

• Like 2

.....one cannot say anything when working in the system....especially not a foreigner....

....but everything stated above is.......sadly...and shockingly....true.....

...only to add........ the patronage that pervades everywhere.....

I learned first hand as a result of my own son! I do take responsibility since I took it for granted they were doing their job! Can talk a good game like everything so they can be part of the world scene like being part of the Asean Communtiy. But they just go through the motion this is the leaders way of continuing the culture of HAVE AND HAVE NOT?

When I was going to school in the 50s and 60s...the US had a very competitive school system...promoting gifted students to excel in math and science...the public school environment was constructed to challenge and reward students for excellence...

Today the school system is in serious trouble...money does not help...the education lobby in congress stops any meaningful reform and last I heard the US ranked 25 in the world...

Students in general have been relegated to mediocrity by the school system...leaving no child behind...not promoting gifted kids as it may hurt someone's feeling...chaos in the classroom...criminal activity on campus...and teachers continue to milk the education system for their own personal gain...

I was living and working in Washington DC when a recent graduate sued the public school system for providing him with a high school diploma when he was not equipped with enough reading skills to fill out an employment application...

The losers in all this is the country whose public schools does not value the student enough to insist on the best education possible...think of what kind of leaders will rule these countries in the future...

IMHO the lack of quality leadership around the world can be directly linked to poor public education...

• Like 2

Just look at where Thailand are rated compared to other countries at the same level of development and you will see there are indeed problems. But maybe you like the children to know the 12 values by heart and leave less time to teach important subjects such as maths and science.

Just look at where Thailand are rated compared to other countries at the same level of development and you will see there are indeed problems. But maybe you like the children to know the 12 values by heart and leave less time to teach important subjects such as maths and science.

Another Thai bashing post!!

If you don't like it in Hua Hin,please go to Cha Am!

P.S. I've reported you to the Mods. The 12 values are most important for people who still have their values.

1. Wear women's cloth, when you're a guy, or gay.

2. Act like one.

3. Put a pillow under your shirt and tell everybody that you're pregnant.

4. Tell everybody that you're fine, even when you've got the Ebola virus, a serious stroke, or the Hiso syndrome.

5. Wear a schnucki boy scout uniform and enjoy your fetish.

6. Drive to Pattaya and look for an old fart.

7. Make sure that his life insurance is in your favor.

8. Tell a 79 year old farang that you want a baby from him, when you're 19.

9. Use a laptop to arrange all your foreigners who send you money, when they want to see you.

10. Have a facebook account.

11. Update your status daily.

12. Act like you wouldn't understand when foreigners say that they love you too much.

• Like 1

'The foundation of any state is the education of its youth' - Diogenes

It may well be that the system produces exactly what a feudal state needs. Those in charge have no problem with the education their youth gets and little or no problem with the education that others get.

Your judgement isn't the judgement that counts in Thailand. It may well be that the system works fine for what it is designed to do.

the vast majority of the population do not even have the awareness that anything is dysfunctional or wrong. they see their society by their standard. a tiny % imo a small fraction of 1% perceive dysfunction. usually they just roll with the punches as resistance is futile.

i agree with the article except taking issue with expats that teach as many can teach well with degree or not.

Another Thai bashing post!!

If you don't like it in Hua Hin,please go to Cha Am!

P.S. I've reported you to the Mods. The 12 values are most important for people who still have their values.

1. Wear women's cloth, when you're a guy, or gay.

2. Act like one.

3. Put a pillow under your shirt and tell everybody that you're pregnant.

4. Tell everybody that you're fine, even when you've got the Ebola virus, a serious stroke, or the Hiso syndrome.

5. Wear a schnucki boy scout uniform and enjoy your fetish.

6. Drive to Pattaya and look for an old fart.

7. Make sure that his life insurance is in your favor.

8. Tell a 79 year old farang that you want a baby from him, when you're 19.

9. Use a laptop to arrange all your foreigners who send you money, when they want to see you.

10. Have a facebook account.

11. Update your status daily.

12. Act like you wouldn't understand when foreigners say that they love you too much.

without being judgemental, the 12 values that could benefit many a tv poster;

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
  4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
  5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
  6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
  7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
  8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
  10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
  11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
  12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.