Body found floating off Phuket 'may be Westerner'

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Swastika is a Buddist and Hindu symbol. Nazi's stole it and made it infamous.

It is a hindu religious symbol, nothing to do with buddhism?

Yeah it has.

Sacred in Hinduism, Buddism and Jainism.

Is considered a "lucky charm".

Yes, but the Nazis reversed the lucky charm.

Many years ago, the Hindu version was used by the Scout Association as one of its highest awards.

When the Nazis used it for their own evil purposes, the Scouts abandoned it and in the UK and Australia they used a Silver Wolf, Silver Oak and so on, until Australia adopted its own awards.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, I agree. I am a Buddhist who has traveled to Buddhist/Hindu sites and ceremonies in India and Nepal for months and I've seen both left and right facing.

What I have never seen is a religious swastika placed in that context. The context appears quite aggressive with entangled jagged lines reminiscent of lightening bolts and barbed wire. It would seem to suggest neo-nazi symbology. Plus, most people who paint or tatoo a religious symbol, place it high on their body out of respect. This was on his calf.

Correct, but the Asian swastika, which you see all over India, points to the left, whilst the Nazi one points to the right.

Not correct, Asian swastika can be both right or left facing.

• Like 1

Some unfortunate individual has ended his days floating in the ocean.

The most important task for the authorities is to identify him, and work out if he met his demise through misadventure, dark deed or by his own hand.

Who gives a stuff about the symbolism of the design of the tattoo they are hoping will help identification!

Correct, but the Asian swastika, which you see all over India, points to the left, whilst the Nazi one points to the right.

Not true, you can find both (even with the Nazi symbol), usually to do with the painter being left or right handed.

(You forgot Native Americans also use the symbol in their art and crafts)

"In some cultures, the facing changes the meaning, while in others it is irrelevant."

http://altreligion.about.com/od/symbols/a/Swastika.htm

Edited by BritManToo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Swastika? Good riddance.

Your point ?

May I Jacksam?

Westerner? Swastika? Good riddance. Any more questions?

Yes I have a question; You are aware that the swastika predates Nazis by hundreds if not thousands of years, right? Ever had the thought that is might be decorational based on Buddhism (or Hindu)? To be honest, I can't see how the image is even closely resembling a swastika

Swastika? Good riddance.

Your point ?

My point? The only good nazi is a dead one perhaps? Do you need everything spelling out to you? One for starters for the weekend:

You usually open doors to get into or out of rooms and buidlings.

All this is of course assuming this actually was a 'nazi' swastika (as reported) and not a religious one. If he was a nazi, then his death was no loss whatsoever.

Edited by Fatty123

Yeah it has.

Sacred in Hinduism, Buddism and Jainism.

Is considered a "lucky charm".

Not if you were a Jew

What sort of idiot westerner would get a religious swastika? Even though the intention may be a good one, it won't half give you problems in life. It's worse than Super Hans' idea of a bar named 'Free the paedos.' How many westerners have you met with swastika tatoos that have said ''It's a Hindu/Buddhist symbol''? How many of them were just nutcases?

Karon/Kata ..lovely places to spend a holiday lately!

"Chaiyamongkul Yamaroonpattana from the Phuket Marine Biological Centre, told Karon Police that while the scientists were surveying the marine life in the area, they noticed the body floating in the sea about one kilometre from Kata Noi Beach.

They towed the body to shore in front of Kata Thani Hotel."

Yesiree, Bob! Bet the owners/guests of the Kata Thani Hotel were delighted

Nothing like viewing a week-in-the-water corpse to top off your gourmet buffet breakfast tongue.png

Lunch anyone???

Edited by cloghead
  • Like 2

Swastika? Good riddance.

Are you and the reporter related? The swastika neither symbolizes the West, nor is it limited to Nazi Germany. Peoples as varied as Indians, Greeks, Koreans, and Celts have used the swastika symbol; it is still a major symbol in Hindu, Buddhist, Dharmic, Jainist, and Zoroastrian religions. The absurdity of identifying a corpse as Western because of a swastika tattoo would be hysterically funny except people really do think that way.

Edited by smotherb

Swastika is a symbol of good fortune in Buddhist religion. It represents the footprints and heart of Buddha. Thus, it is considered to be very holy and extensively brought to use by Buddhists. Infact, in all the images of Gautam Buddha, you'll find Swastik cross imprinted on his chest, palms and feet. It is one of the initial 65 symbols of auspiciousness associated with the footprint of the Buddha. Read further to know the meaning and significance of Swastika in Buddhism.

http://www.thecolorsofindia.com/swastik/swastika-in-buddhism.html

A lot of high opinionated people on TVF today inferring that the diseased was some sort of evil person because of the chosen style of a tattoo and glad that he is dead and how many TVF members have tattoos chosen from a catalogue or a magazine, for me I hope that he RIP and condolences to his family and friends, and I hope the police do spend time tracing his family and find out how he died, then we might know for sure if he was a genuine German SS officer out on holiday in Thailand, or a biker on holiday, leaving his wife and children at home.

Most likely got caught in a rip. That area is highly dangerous especially at this time of the year, especially Karon Beach, and a lot more people disappear than are recorded.

Earlier today I read in BP that he was found with a head wound and his stomach had been cut open. This may have been the reporter using his imagination though!

it's possible. I have seen one dead man on the beach in chaweng many years ago. He smashed against the dead coral riff and had pretty bad cut wounds. He went to swim at night, DRUNK. Not everybody get killed. Living here since almost 3 decades, I have seen LOTS of tourists die because of them doing crazy things. Stupid accidents,,,

now here is a CLUE to you people who dont read reports properly, and make stupid assumptions he had SWIMMING TRUNKS on ok Doh !! now somone will say "perhaps the persons who murdered him put swimming trunks on him, " yeah probably.

now here is a CLUE to you people who dont read reports properly, and make stupid assumptions he had SWIMMING TRUNKS on ok Doh !! now somone will say "perhaps the persons who murdered him put swimming trunks on him, " yeah probably.

Of course they did mercman, otherwise it would look like a murder....facepalm.gif

"... the man was tall, between 180 and 190 cm, was wearing only swimming shorts and had a tattoo featuring a swastika on the left calf, suggesting he might be a Westerner."

Asians will NEVER be as tall as 180 cm (never mind 190), and will NEVER have a swastika tattoo. Ever.

Why do these people insist on opening their mouths???

"... the man was tall, between 180 and 190 cm, was wearing only swimming shorts and had a tattoo featuring a swastika on the left calf, suggesting he might be a Westerner."

Asians will NEVER be as tall as 180 cm (never mind 190), and will NEVER have a swastika tattoo. Ever.

Why do these people insist on opening their mouths???

Maybe that's why he said 'suggesting' and 'might'.