God Parents ... do Parents still do this? How? Why?

David48

God Parents ... do Parents still do this? How? Why?

We had a couple of boys earlier this year, but till now, never got around to thinking about God Parents.

Do people still do this?

Do you have 'Western' and 'Thai' ones?

Is there any Thai Tradition revolving around this?

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

The only God parents that I know about are at Baptism in the Catholic religion. Are you Catholic?

Umm ... no.

Apathetic Christians who only go to Churches for Weddings, Deadings (Funerals) and Birthings (Christenings)

When my sister had a couple of kids a couple of decades ago, I was asked to be a 'God Parent' to one of them.

Basically meaning, if my sister and her husband were killed, the responsibility for the child's welfare and care would naturally come to me.

I grew up in Australia ... maybe the concept is just an Australian thing?

• Like 1

It's strange to think its not religious based. It does have the word God in it. I googled and found its a baptism sponsor. David wasn't there a ceremony performed as part of the process?

WOW ... I just googled it also and was blown away with some of the stuff written.

Some of the early searches goes on with all the Religious ho-ha ... that's not us in the slightest.

I found a good page though that reflects what I was considering ...

The modern godparent

Historically, the role of godparent was interlinked with the Christian faith, with individuals given the responsibility of looking after their godson or goddaughter's spiritual path. While this is still the case in families with religious affiliations, the name is now used more broadly outside of the church, usually to mean an adult who plays a supporting or mentoring role in the life of the child.

"The modern godparent will be someone a child can turn to not only in times of celebration but also in times of crisis, a mentor in whom to confide and possibly a source of advice," says Haynes. As the old saying goes, 'It takes a village to raise a child' and by choosing a godparent or mentor, parents are bringing extra guidance and support into their child's life from an early age.

The good God Parent Guide

Maybe no-one does this any more.

I don't think God parents are necessarily a religious thing anymore. As far as I know I never had god parents but my younger siblings did. The God parents were family friends there to take care of them if anything happened to the parents.

My Thai ex wife arranged God parents for our kids. The kids have arranged God parents for my grand kids. All are living out of Thailand.

In Thailand I've never heard of God parents but they may exist. I think the larger family sizes with plenty of aunts and uncles negates the need for god parents here.

• Like 2

Oh no David. Not just an Australian thing, if it ever was. I had god parents and never ever knew or saw either. On the contrary, in France it is a very big and serious thing. I got a free ticket to Oz not so long ago, because a friend wanted to spend 3 weeks in Melbourne, because her godmother was ill. She need an interpreter!!!!!! And she is a relatively poor person. The young man who does odd jobs for me, couldn't come for a month - his GF was ill on the other side of the country and he had to go.

Another thing. My friend whose GM was in Melbourne.....her GM was her Aunt. She never referred to her as Aunt Lily, but always' my Godmother'.

I am from the USA and I had a God Father and God Mother and now I am a God Father to 5 or 6 children and most of those still live in the USA. When I was appointed (with my consent of course), I was happy to be as I always felt that my God Father and Mother were people who would open up to me and tell me that I could tell things to them in confidence that I did not feel like I could tell my parents for fear of punishment or judgement. I admit I have taken a fairly inactive role being a God Father but my friends are always willing to proudly point out I am the guy. I think they appointed me as much out of tradition as anything else and they trust that should something happen to one or both of them and they did not feel comfortable about their own parents stepping in, that I would come into the picture and remind all concerned what I understood should happen if someone would die or be incapable of raising their kid anymore.

Happens in Canada too

It's a Catholic "thing" so it would be part of the Catholic baptism ceremony where ever in the world the child was being baptized. As already stated...the role for the God parents would be to take care of the child if anything happened to the natural parents. I imagine they too (Godparents) would have to be Catholic...if not they would have to be willing to rear the child in the Catholic religion even if they were of a different faith..

I went to the first birthday party for a friend's son the other day. Where I live is 90% Catholic, and as mentioned earlier, one of the duties is the baptism. Here another duty is sponsoring the first birthday party which are generally pretty elaborate affairs. Guests are expected to bring a present or make a donation. The God parents pay for the party and the family can pitch-in with dishes for the buffet. The donations are often used as a seed to start a college fund for the kid. The other big advantage is that the kid knows that he has God parents and that they are a part of his or her extended family to whom they can turn to if the need arises.

Edited by Pacificperson

Interesting question.

I think ”God Parents” are a Christian issue only – a guardian to take care of the child if anything happens to the “real” parents; and in older religious tradition to make sure the child is educated in good Christian faith.

I’ve not met the issue in Thai tradition – Christian God Parents as I recall it; have to do with an ancient baptism tradition, which also is not used in Thai. Thais have other traditions, like cutting the hair of a baby (or shaving the head) and make a small party together with that ceremony...

I just asked by lovely GF, and she says, that the words for Godfather and Godmother they have in Thai translation, but it has no meaning – meaning being a Thai tradition – if something happens to the child’s parents, the grandparents will take over.

My daughter don’t have God Parents, as I’m not member of a Christian Church, and my daughter – I presume – is Buddhist, we live in Thailand and do attend to some ceremonies in temples; but I let it be up the her own future decision.

The only God parents that I know about are at Baptism in the Catholic religion. Are you Catholic?

Umm ... no.

Apathetic Christians who only go to Churches for Weddings, Deadings (Funerals) and Birthings (Christenings)

When my sister had a couple of kids a couple of decades ago, I was asked to be a 'God Parent' to one of them.

Basically meaning, if my sister and her husband were killed, the responsibility for the child's welfare and care would naturally come to me.

Widely used in protestant Denmark also – I’m actually also named after my Godfather (Per) – seems still to be a mandatory tradition to assign God Parents at the baptism ceremony in the Church...

Umm ... no.

Last time I went to church was for a fish fry and poker night