55-tonne crane lifting boat crashes into New Zealand house

webfact

Crane lifting boat crashes into house in New Zealand

AUCKLAND: -- A 55-tonne crane lifting a boat in a suburb of Auckland, New Zealand, has toppled over and crashed into a house.

It reportedly narrowly missed a young man sitting in his bedroom. One person was treated for a minor leg injury, the New Zealand Herald reported.

The boat's owner, Louise Cashmore, told news portal Stuff that the crane was blown over by a gust of wind and crashed into a neighbour's home.

She said three neighbours had to climb out of the window.

Albany station officer Graeme Butter said the young man who survived the crash "was very lucky, he was in his bedroom and the crane came right through it."

Another neighbour reportedly pulled a woman out of the house shortly after the crash.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30241566

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-28

• Like 1

The Cashmores, eh? Old money. Hope the boat's ok.

The boat seems to have buggered off down the hill and is MIA.

The good news is that the family pet rabbit is safe and sound.

Read before you write.... the boat is beside the damaged house, obstructed from Mrs C's view by the chassis.... she would have to crane her neck a little more!!

I recall talking to a machinery inspector may years ago in Oz , he told me that on average there a two crane "fall overs" a week. It may have decreased somewhat these days with the computer systems and wind speed sensors they have on the jib. But it still happens.

Wind does not blow that hard back home ,how big was the boat

Oh really? I remember windsurfing in Mission Bay in 40 knots. Many times.

Ahhhhh Mission Bay, I bet I still hold the record, 3 speeding tickets in 15 minutes, and got off them all !!! True justice hahahahaha

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Cashmores, eh? Old money. Hope the boat's ok.

The boat seems to have buggered off down the hill and is MIA.

The good news is that the family pet rabbit is safe and sound.

Read before you write.... the boat is beside the damaged house, obstructed from Mrs C's view by the chassis.... she would have to crane her neck a little more!!

But what he (and I ) read was this

Ms Cashmore said she and her husband had wanted to move the boat to an area behind their house in Unsworth Heights.

She said she "felt awful" about the large hole left in her neighbour's home.

"It crashed and I don't know where the boat went flying to but it's gone, "she said, adding: "Just as well I took the rabbit off the deck."

Wind does not blow that hard back home ,how big was the boat

I think sustained 118km/hr is classified as hurricane NZ highest recorded wind gust has been 248km/hr. The average wind speed for the year is 29=Fresh Breeze but with regular "gale" speed winds (62++km/hr winds).... it must have been a long time since you have been to NZ, .... Wellington after all has the envious nickname of "Windy City" right? :)