Air India to Delhi

mogandave

AI are actually OK, if you don't mind curry (veg) or curry (non-veg) as the meal choices.

Or ending up sat next to the biggest Sikh man you've ever met, in the event Mr Singh was a really nice guy (all of him).

Surprisingly they do offer a curry free option as well. There's me thinking Thai Air only offer Somtom and Phad Thai as lunch options?

It's painless and the flight is relatively short.

The only downside would be that you actually land in Delhi??? w00t.gif

• Like 2

Flew AI's 787 BKK-DEL-DXB last mth. I'd never flown on a 787 before and was excited to give theirs a try. But the excitement quickly evaporated when you board the plane and notice the cheap seats and a bland, worn interior. Worse though is that AI seems to be the UA of Asia with their over-sized heavy handed crew. No eye candy to make the flight that little bit more enjoyable. But the worst part was that their toilets kept getting plugged up. Faced it in both directions. When you've waited ages for a toilet to free up, what do you do? Just pee in there like everyone else. Yuck.

I hope I'm not coming across as an excessively mean person because I'm not. Hey I understand that if you pay cheap fares then you should expect cheap service. But AI unfortunately is catching the Star Alliance disease -- charging premium fares just because they are Star Alliance, just like the rest of the gang. Sure some of their fares are still cheap but bargains seem to be harder to find than before. Yup Star Alliance disease. Or more likely Star Alliance collusion.

I generally like the B787, but how AI's seat spacing in economy?

I also like curry, but I can get along without a meal on a four hour flight.

They use the Thai lounges at BKK, yes?

Cheap or not, the only realistic options BKK-DEL-BKK are Thai, Jet & Air India

It is a bummer going to Delhi, but I need the money.

Interesting topic as I am due to fly to Ahmedabad (Gujarat) in a couple of weeks.

Was there recently on a ten day trip and was able to persuade my company to allow me to fly Emirates, transit in Dubai then a reverse back to India. Longer flight but meant no transit in either Mumbai or Delhi. That was the upside, along with great service. But big downside with the price!!

So this upcoming flight was to be a choice between AI and Jet. Really no choice as my memories of flying AI in the past 10-15 years mean that Jet is really the only option. They may have improved, but that is from a pretty low base!

I had heard that AI had joined Star Alliance, as a previous poster noted. Must agree that joining SA is no guide to an improved service. Have flown Egypt Air enough to know that standards do not match the hype.

I only flew Jet once, and it was better than I expected.

The Delhi airport is nice, as is the new Mumbai, although I am not sure if the new Mumbai is open yet.

"although I am not sure if the new Mumbai is open yet"

It opened back in February and, after a few problems during the first month or two, is now as good an experience as Delhi's terminal-3, based on 4 transits this year.

Can't comment on their legroom as I was able to get emergency exit row seats each way. Regarding the lounge, surprisingly the pass they gave me was for the Louis Lounge as opposed to one of the SA ones. Maybe they're still under contract or something. Their lounge in DEL is quite basic, but they have shower rooms and even sleeper rooms which I really appreciated.

Both Jet and AI use terminal 3 in Delhi which is excellent. Transfers to other terminals is by bus and cost around 10baht and is only 10 minutes so no pain there. If you book Jet ahead of time you can get business class for around 18,000baht which is decent value.

I've flown Heathrow to Delhi twice. First time was excellent second time not quite so. 777 Aircraft with 33" seat pitch. I would use again. However the Delhi to Bangkok on a A321 and return is a Mare with how shall I put it, many ignorant Indians. Thats the most polite I can be

• 1 month later...

Made it to Delhi on AI 333 today, and I thought it was nice. I'm a big guy, and I thought the economy seat spacing was good. THe beakfast was okay, but next time I'll get the Hindu, it looked great.

First time I've been in the Louis Tavern, pretty weak.

Flight was packed, but the airport was empty and there wsa no traffic due to the holiday. Touched down at 12:46 and was in the hotel before 2:00!

On Jet flight 64 for the return...

Dave.

Hope you enjoyed your brake--- I am thinking of doing the BKK--DEL--London flight in March,--(return May) would be interested in what you thought about the Buis class seating if you did had a look, also thought I would brake the journey up with 4-5 days in Del..... is it worth it.? ...entertainment etc.

Thanks.

I was in economy on AI 333 BKK to DEL (B787) and I thought it was great. Nice seats and leg-room, good entertainment and decent food.

Business class (as always) looked much nicer.

Flight attendants were middle-aged (if you're concerned about that) but seemed friendly and competent.

I stayed at the Park Plaza Gurgaon which was okay at about THB5,700 a night total with a great breakfast and easy walking distance to the Metro.

Did not do the tourist thing as it was just hotel to plant and back to the hotel, but the food is great and the people are nice, although I may not be a good judge as I find good food and nice people most everywhere I go.

Did Jet 9W64 economy for the return and it was a nice B737-900 that was either new or newly refurshed. Seats were good, leg-room was okay (not as nice as AI) and the flight attendants were younger and better looking. No entertainment, but it's only a 4 hour flight that's not a big deal. I booked the Hindu vegatarian meal in advance which was great.

Hope this helps,

Dave

I hope I'm not coming across as an excessively mean person because I'm not. Hey I understand that if you pay cheap fares then you should expect cheap service. But AI unfortunately is catching the Star Alliance disease -- charging premium fares just because they are Star Alliance, just like the rest of the gang. Sure some of their fares are still cheap but bargains seem to be harder to find than before. Yup Star Alliance disease. Or more likely Star Alliance collusion.

Premium fares reflect things other than just on-board service. Aircraft maintenance is not cheap and unfortunately cheap fares can often result in not only cheap service but also cheap maintenance. Peace of mind always comes at a cost.