Just got kicked out of thai with valid visa

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didnt let me in. I asked 100 times to fly anywhere else than my country and it was refused. They said the only country i can go back is France. Immigration officer told me every ed visa will be checked.

nonsense, they cannot tell you to go home, they can ony refuse entry...

Interesting legal point.

Convention for the Unification of certain rules relating to international carriage by air

Applicable section 14.3

14.3 Refusal of Entry

The passenger agrees to pay the applicable fare whenever Carrier, on Government order, is required to return a passenger to his point of origin or elsewhere, owing to the

passenger's inadmissibility into a country, whether of transit or of destination. Carrier may apply to the payment of such fare any funds paid to Carrier for unused carriage, or any funds of the passenger in the possession of Carrier. The fare collected for carriage to the point of refusal of entry or deportation will not be refunded by Carrier.

14.4 Passenger Responsible for Fines, Detention Costs, etc.

If Carrier is required to pay or deposit any fine or penalty or to incur any expenditure by reason of the passenger's failure to comply with laws, regulations, orders, demands and travel requirements of the countries concerned or to produce the required documents, the passenger shall on demand reimburse to Carrier any amount so paid or deposited and any expenditure so incurred. Carrier may use towards such expenditure any funds paid to Carrier for unused carriage, or any funds of the passenger in the possession of Carrier.

The airline must return you to the point of origin, if that is not possible they must return you to your home country.

You may have to pay them in full but they are required to take you. If you don't pay they can and likely will sue you.

Someone read the reason for me it says insufficient funds. But the officer really got angry when i couldnt read thai. I had 9k baht on me a business world mastercard fully loaded and a kasikorn atm. I believe only cash counts. If i had enough cash i believe he would have said something else.

I find it highly suspicious that after a previous poster mentioned the insufficient funds stamp placed in his passport, that turned up as your stamp. That stamp does not bar a person from future entry. Also after having gone to a similar caliber language school myself when I first got here (as most real language school students do), it is highly suspicious the OP couldn't have at least read, and spoken most of the names of the Thai letters shown to him after 6 months in school, and spoken some (formal, not bar) Thai to the agent, that a person learns in school. I doubt the immigration agent expected the OP to be fluent, just show him enough basic formal school Thai fluency that a question of actually going to school was erased.

I think there is more going on here to make the immigration agent suspicious of long term stay on improper visas than is being reported by the OP. He has a car, and a Thai bank account after-all? How long has he actually been in Thailand before he went to Thai language school? He says he speaks Thai, so why go to school to learn to speak Thai, and not learn the basics of reading and writing Thai, that he doesn't understand?

I am confused about one thing when he exited Thailand. He states that he never went to school because he already spoke Thai, so he seemed to not be aware he had to extend the visa every 90 days, with paperwork from the school saying he was attending, and in fact the visa had been expired for quite some time after 7 months, and no 90 day extensions. With no extensions the agent seems correct in denying him entry under that visa, and given his length of stay, refused him entry on an exemption stamp. What I'm confused about is why he never was charged overstay fees when he left for HK, as his visa had been expired for about 4 months at that point. It might have been a costly oversight by immigration, but hard to believe.

Edited by koolbreez

Someone read the reason for me it says insufficient funds. But the officer really got angry when i couldnt read thai. I had 9k baht on me a business world mastercard fully loaded and a kasikorn atm. I believe only cash counts. If i had enough cash i believe he would have said something else.

I find it highly suspicious that after a previous poster mentioned the insufficient funds stamp placed in his passport, that turned up as your stamp. That stamp does not bar a person from future entry. Also after having gone to a similar caliber language school myself when I first got here (as most real language school students do), it is highly suspicious the OP couldn't have at least read, and spoken most of the names of the Thai letters shown to him after 6 months in school, and spoken some (formal, not bar) Thai to the agent, that a person learns in school. I doubt the immigration agent expected the OP to be fluent, just show him enough basic formal school Thai fluency that a question of actually going to school was erased.

I think there is more going on here to make the immigration agent suspicious of long term stay on improper visas than is being reported by the OP. He has a car, and a Thai bank account after-all? How long has he actually been in Thailand before he went to Thai language school? He says he speaks Thai, so why go to school to learn to speak Thai, and not learn the basics of reading and writing Thai, that he doesn't understand?

I am confused as to his reasoning for going to Thai language school.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/762843-ed-visa-with-golf/ He posted this a short while ago maybe he found a golf school. biggrin.png

The airline must return you to the point of origin, if that is not possible they must return you to your home country.

You may have to pay them in full but they are required to take you. If you don't pay they can and likely will sue you.

In this case the airline was not responsible for his flight because when he boarded his flight he met the requirements for entry. He had a valid visa or a re-entry permit.

See the requirements for entry from the IATA shown here that the airlines go by: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

They can only deny entry, but any country you are eligible to travel in, such as Malaysia, you have a right to travel to.

I was under the understanding that once you were denied entry, they would require you to fly back to the country of your passport -- using approved airlines. They would not allow you to fly to another ASEAN country since they had agreements in place to not toss their problem back on other countries.

That sounds like BS to me.

Surely, if you are traveling on a French passport you are entitled to the courtesies afforded by an individual country's immigration rules i.e. fly to Phnom Penh and get 30 days ?

Unless he is enforcing some type of ASEAN rule, I think the officer has absolutely no right to compel you to go anywhere. I think he might not even have the right to force you to leave the airside of the airport unless he has a deportation order.

Johnny BKK post # 90.

They told me if i want to come back better change my passport and get a tourist visa with at least 700 usd in cash, go and back ticket, hotel bookings and a plan to visit Thailand.... they want real tourists not foreigners living here on student visas.

Looks like the writing is not only on the wall for you but also on the immigration department computer system for you too as well as few others too.

You must have 20k baht that's the rule.

Supposed you have less, they will not let you go to the nearest ATM?

In this case the airline was not responsible for his flight because when he boarded his flight he met the requirements for entry. He had a valid visa or a re-entry permit.

See the requirements for entry from the IATA shown here that the airlines go by: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

The airline is not responsible but must still return the passenger to the point of origin...

They are entitled to be paid for this even if they have to sue to get the $$.

See 14.3 of my post above. They cannot strand a passenger.

14.3 Refusal of Entry

The passenger agrees to pay the applicable fare whenever Carrier, on Government order, is required to return a passenger to his point of origin or elsewhere, owing to the

passenger's inadmissibility into a country, whether of transit or of destination. Carrier may apply to the payment of such fare any funds paid to Carrier for unused carriage, or any funds of the passenger in the possession of Carrier. The fare collected for carriage to the point of refusal of entry or deportation will not be refunded by Carrier.

This is the IATA regulations based on the Warsaw Convention (and later revisions at The Hague and I think Nicaragua)

BTW - if I am wrong, this won't be the first time!

The days of entering Thailand on a suspect Ed Visa are finished.

Those entering Thailand for an extended period are required under Thai immigration law to have the correct and appropriate visa to which there intended purpose of stay may be.

All countries require this.

The OP had it. The only suspect thing here is your ability to comphrend that.

Johnny BKK post # 90.

They told me if i want to come back better change my passport and get a tourist visa with at least 700 usd in cash, go and back ticket, hotel bookings and a plan to visit Thailand.... they want real tourists not foreigners living here on student visas.

Looks like the writing is not only on the wall for you but also on the immigration department computer system for you too as well as few others too.

You must have 20k baht that's the rule.

Supposed you have less, they will not let you go to the nearest ATM?

Of course they will. Thai Immigration I would expect but I have no proof use passenger profiling which is not permissible in the West.

Basically if you look and speak like a bum you're a bum.

Goes back to the S.H.I.T. days. Suspected hippie in transit.

• Like 1

Of course they will. Thai Immigration I would expect but I have no proof use passenger profiling which is not permissible in the West.

Actually they only allows what they want. If they want to make it difficult, they will not allow ATM.

The rest of your post is the usual trite prejudice.

• Like 1

Actually they only allows what they want. If they want to make it difficult, they will not allow ATM.

How can I answer such an eloquent reply?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They can only deny entry, but any country you are eligible to travel in, such as Malaysia, you have a right to travel to.

I was under the understanding that once you were denied entry, they would require you to fly back to the country of your passport -- using approved airlines. They would not allow you to fly to another ASEAN country since they had agreements in place to not toss their problem back on other countries.

Surely, if you are traveling on a French passport you are entitled to the courtesies afforded by an individual country's immigration rules i.e. fly to Phnom Penh and get 30 days ?Unless he is enforcing some type of ASEAN rule, I think the officer has absolutely no right to compel you to go anywhere. I think he might not even have the right to force you to leave the airside of the airport unless he has a deportation order.

Is that the specific law in regard to this situation or is it your wish list?

Edited by scorecard

ATF why don't you think the OP will tell us, all his fans, what airport?

Absolutely no idea.

Since he has been asked a number of times and no response I would assume he is a troll making up the story. It would be too easy to check if we knew the airport.

Don't you read he is in the plane now? He could not have answered...Maybe you'll have an answer to morrowsmile.png

What is prejudice, quite likely that there are specific profiles of travellers that immigration spay special attention to. A few placeS weren't keen on long hair and tattoos at one point. Who knows, but I suspect that by here will be more refusals for people on ED visas, for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Surely, if you are traveling on a French passport you are entitled to the courtesies afforded by an individual country's immigration rules i.e. fly to Phnom Penh and get 30 days ?Unless he is enforcing some type of ASEAN rule, I think the officer has absolutely no right to compel you to go anywhere. I think he might not even have the right to force you to leave the airside of the airport unless he has a deportation order.

This is Thailand. They can do pretty much what they want. There is also an appeal process, but it's never exposed to the person.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is that the specific law in regard to this situation or is it your wish list?

The bottom line, all countries reserve the right to issue visas to enter their country but on the basis that the traveler can be refused at the moment the passport is presented to enter that country.

There is some sensible and easy to understand logic here - all countries want to keep their options open until the last minute just in case new (adverse) information comes to light.

Would you expect your country to act as I've described above to ensure 'inappropriate' people don't enter your country?

I do!

ATF why don't you think the OP will tell us, all his fans, what airport?

Absolutely no idea.

Since he has been asked a number of times and no response I would assume he is a troll making up the story. It would be too easy to check if we knew the airport.

Don't you read he is in the plane now? He could not have answered...Maybe you'll have an answer to morrowsmile.png

The OP was off line today at 15:36 and he was also asked a few times shortly after the OP while he was still posting. So in answer to your question yes I do read and also think while I am reading.

Edited by thailiketoo

Interesting! Since the ED visa is not only issued to learn Thai, What happens to the Brit that is enrolled in a Japanese course or the Japanese person that is enrolled in an English course?

You need a letter from the language school that shows the student is learning another language than Thai. My friend who is learning intermediate English in Pattaya was asked to carry the letter with him every time he leaves the kingdom. The immigration can not deny any student learning other languages.

Interesting! Since the ED visa is not only issued to learn Thai, What happens to the Brit that is enrolled in a Japanese course or the Japanese person that is enrolled in an English course?

You need a letter from the language school that shows the student is learning another language than Thai. My friend who is learning intermediate English in Pattaya was asked to carry the letter with him every time he leaves the kingdom. The immigration can not deny any student learning other languages.

Yes, they can deny, revoke your permission of stay for any reason they like.

• Like 1

Im sorry to hear about the trouble for the guy refused to enter Thailand again. But if we are discussing laws, the Thais have every right to deny him to travel to any other country than his home. The reason they do is as somebody mentioned before is because with a denied entry to Thailand in the passport, they are scared that any country he goes to will look at him as suspiciously and send him right back. That s why the only option is home country. I hope the immigration change their minds, but in Thailand it is the Thai immigration law that counts. In fact regarding entry into the kingdom, read about all the different visas one can obtain, it always end with, even with all papers in order it is still up to the individual immigration officer to grant or deny entry in to the kingdom. So in fact, if they dont like your face, a single immigration police can send u on your way. Getting a visa is not a right, it is a privilege.

I'm fairly new to this forum so there have been countless prior threads I have no knowledge of.

Myself I'm on annual retirement extensions so I certainly do not wish to see changes coming in but I fear they will. I have no doubt Thai authorities would like to rid the country of the great majority of all these farang that have set up home here. First to go the border runners. Next the Ed visa crowd. There are many retirement people they could get rid of fast by raising the financial requirements considerably. If one had to show 1.5mil in a Thai bank, how many pension guys could do that?

I honestly hope I'm wrong but I have a bad feeling that sometime in 2015 we'll see a stiff rise in financial requirements plus demands for further paperwork when applying for retirement extensions. We're going to see a lot of people moving over to Cambodia next year.

And the 'Where to next ?' question is also asked here regularly, mainly in GT. I think if it came down to it, I'd take my chances in the PI over Cambodia even with the dire warnings re personal safety and the fact that it's considerably less developed than Thailand. Hopefully it wont come to that, but nothing stays the same forever.

If they make living in LOS too much headache then I'll check out PI. Was in Cambo last week and it's not the place for me. IMO LOS is best place in SEA but the writing's on the wall and the good old days in Toyland are drawing to a close for many. Fortunately I have a pension and income from property rental, so hope I can continue to satisfy the immigration requirements if/when they are raised.