Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Just got kicked out of thai with valid visa

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He says studing Thai for 6months but has a car to sale I have to wonder what popped up on that computer when his name was run thru the scanner. I suspect he has been here longer than a few months.

I though he said he was married and living here for 8 years but now divorced and needed a long term visa.

I would think people living here for multiple years under other visas and suddenly asking for a Ed visa to study Thai language would be suspected and probably not valid.

Possibly after living here for 5 years someone might want to improve their Thai, but if legitimate interest, why wait so long?

Why would the same reasoning not be valid for 7, 9.12 years, to improve your Thai?

I have been here for 17 years, and at some stage, I would still like to improve my Thai. Learning how to read and write would be an added bonus as well..............wink.png

Edit: But I know what you mean. in my case I don't need to chase a visa to stay here, and yes, if I was immigration, it may be a flag.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny why don't you call Walen and get him to sort it out. If he can he'll be a hero.

Why should he call Walen? He wrote he is studying at waleen and later repeated Waleen.

Google Waleen School Thailand only Walen comes up. Maybe the OP never ever went to the school just did the forms online or whatever he is French too so maybe a spelling mistake.

Mac is online and available for discussion.

I wonder what there could be for Walen to discuss. Several posters suggested to the OP to call Walen and the OP never replied that he did. So if I am Walen, what do I do? Check on my computer if somebody called JohnnyBKK is enrolled at my school?

• Like 2

Just saw the post. Have to check it. We have students all over the country and if that is true then that would be the very first case. Maybe there is more to it.

Like immigration suspecting that there is wide scale abuse of ED Visas?

• Like 1

He still hasn't answered which airport.

Didn't Mac Whalen used to be very active on this forum? I hope he gets involved in this. I've know people who attend Whalen school and I thought they started them out reading Thai script from the very beginning. I'm surprised the OP can't at least read Thai. Maybe not write Thai after just six months, but I'd think he should be able to read it.

The op already admitted he never attends school since he can already speak Thai.

This is why he can't read.

Amazing he was able to get his Ed extension at immigration without attending school.

Its even more amazing that after 8 years here he cannot read or write thai... suspicions aroused at the border? .. for sure ! Why bother with an ED visa and not attend class... makes no sense.

I have plenty of friends that have been in business here for 30 years or more and can't speak Thai other than a few words. 6 months is more than enough time to be able to read and write Thai if you give enough time to it. Attending classes for a couple of hours a week and not learning outside of that period is a joke and immigration know that.
30 years ? Really ? And cannot speak Thai? I don't believe it

Johnny why don't you call Walen and get him to sort it out. If he can he'll be a hero.

Why should he call Walen? He wrote he is studying at waleen and later repeated Waleen.

Google Waleen School Thailand only Walen comes up. Maybe the OP never ever went to the school just did the forms online or whatever he is French too so maybe a spelling mistake.

I wonder what there could be for Walen to discuss. Several posters suggested to the OP to call Walen and the OP never replied that he did. So if I am Walen, what do I do? Check on my computer if somebody called JohnnyBKK is enrolled at my school?

Well if I was the OP I would have contacted Walen by phone. It's up to Immigration if they want to investigate the matter further.

They didnt let me in. I asked 100 times to fly anywhere else than my country and it was refused. They said the only country i can go back is France. Immigration officer told me every ed visa will be checked.

The whole thing sounds like complete BS to me. It's up to you where you want to go, and if you are refused entry to Thailand on a valid VISA by ONE particular immigration officer, then make him understand you can fly wherever you want to, because your passport is valid for all countries, and the refusal stamp for Thailand does not render it void.

• Like 2

ATF why don't you think the OP will tell us, all his fans, what airport?

Absolutely no idea.

Since he has been asked a number of times and no response I would assume he is a troll making up the story. It would be too easy to check if we knew the airport.

It could be a troll post but at least it served a purpose and should have woken up a few to the reality of the ED Visa.

Reality is the question. Is the post real or an attempt to discredit ED Visa and the schools who provide them? And if so why?

Very interesting thread. Makes me wonder which group of expats will be next to face stringent crackdowns. Retirement maybe? All those alcoholic wrecks living on pensions in Pattaya and elsewhere, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the financial requirements are raised significantly in the near future.

Can see this happening in the future as even the Retirement visa gets abused as i have met people working on a retirement visa's without a work permit and people who have paid companies to sort out their retirement as they didnt have the correct amount coming into their account each month or the correct lump sum.

Just stands to reason it seem to be the only visa they haven't yet cracked down on and believe will be next. That will be a fun day on this forum when that happens.

I'm on one myself and I believe we'll see big changes coming in next year. Of course Thailand authorities are well aware some farang on retirement extensions are working without WPs. Also they are well aware of the "alcoholic wrecks" that sit around drinking piss all day; and they want them gone. Retirement extensions will be next, no doubt about it.

I see where you are coming from, but if everyone on retirement extensions who are working, or something similar, are found out and have to leave the country, what is going to happen to the Thai economy? Not to mention all that money which is going in to certain peoples pockets. If this country is really serious about stopping corruption, it is going to take many years.

It could be a troll post but at least it served a purpose and should have woken up a few to the reality of the ED Visa.

Reality is the question. Is the post real or an attempt to discredit ED Visa and the schools who provide them? And if so why?

Plenty of TV members seem to take pleasure in boasting that they are on ED Visas and working online and are not required by the school to attend classes.

I don't think it's a troll post but I can expect the OP didn't want his ID revealed. That may be the reason for the secret airport.

Whether or not I agree with it, right or wrong, I can understand that they can refuse you entry into Thailand. However, since you are not "officially" in Thailand you should be able to choose your alternate destination, not return to your home country.

IMHO I suspect that the only reason that they have not cracked down on multiple back to back tourist visas is the negative impact that it would have on the tourism industry. They are forcing those that are long term residents, possibly working illegally, to go the tourist visa route to stay here! I often wonder why people would go the ED visa route and enroll in an expensive school only stay here when double entry TVs are available in neighboring countries without paying enrollment fees and triples in most home countries.

Two double entry tourist visas, 4000 baht, 4 extensions 7600 baht for a total of 11,600 for 360 days versus the cost of enrollment in a school, plus ED visa and cost of extensions.

Have you been following the threads in this forum for the last 4 months ? There has been a massive crackdown on back-to-back tourist visas and 30-day visa exemptions, but on my last flight in (18 Nov), I was pleasantly surprised to see that the lines were moving quickly and passports were being stamped and handed back very quickly. My extension of stay / re-entry permit meant I didnt need to play 20 questions, but I do feel for the OP if he has made a genuine effort to learn spoken Thai but cant read or write.

The crackdown on the Ed visa was forecast by many here when it became apparent that many who were being bounced would try that option, and there are numerous reports here of people being given a very hard time when entering with an Ed visa. The better option for some may be the Elite card, but many of the same people who claimed they were 'cashed up' objected vehemently to the idea that they needed to pay just to stay in Thailand - go figure.

If this is indicative of an ongoing willingness to deny entry to people staying here long term for something other than tourism or education, I can see an upside. Bye-bye digital nomads under 50. Either stump up the cash or run your multinational corporation from a Starbucks in Pnomh Penh.

Only read the first page but had to comment on this last post. That's a hell of a strategy eh? Take all them wealthy young digital nomads and encourage them to choose other countries. Excellent growth strategy!

• Like 1

Well if I was the OP I would have contacted Walen by phone. It's up to Immigration if they want to investigate the matter further.

And if you was Walen, what would you do?

You better believe it!

Why ? I don't get it ..however I have encountered some folk years ago in the UK Who have lived there 30 plus years and don't speak a word of English. However these minorities only communicate with their own kind and only watch t.v. of their country of origin. .. trying to be p.c. here ;-)

This makes no sense as there are thousands of students at Thammasat from the EU and US studying programs in English. Journalism, Business Major, Tourism, Economics, etc. All of these programs are taught entirely in English.

You are correct but after paying the tuition fees I doubt if these students fail to attend class.

Posted Today, 05:42

Im with a guard around the airport. Had to pay 600 baht for the guard. Waiting for ticket office to open to buy my ticket. They said the guy i talked with was the superior. It was a detention room they signed papers and told me i would be sent of thailand.

JohnnyBKK, on 29 Nov 2014 - 01:42, said:snapback.png

Im with a guard around the airport. Had to pay 600 baht for the guard. Waiting for ticket office to open to buy my ticket. They said the guy i talked with was the superior. It was a detention room they signed papers and told me i would be sent of thailand.

I'm a little suspect on the OP's location. There appears to be a 4 hour difference between the time he first posted this at 05:42 and then the quoted response which shows it was posted at 01:42.

He's either using a proxy or located in Europe, Bahrain etc.

• Like 2

Whether or not I agree with it, right or wrong, I can understand that they can refuse you entry into Thailand. However, since you are not "officially" in Thailand you should be able to choose your alternate destination, not return to your home country.

IMHO I suspect that the only reason that they have not cracked down on multiple back to back tourist visas is the negative impact that it would have on the tourism industry. They are forcing those that are long term residents, possibly working illegally, to go the tourist visa route to stay here! I often wonder why people would go the ED visa route and enroll in an expensive school only stay here when double entry TVs are available in neighboring countries without paying enrollment fees and triples in most home countries.

Two double entry tourist visas, 4000 baht, 4 extensions 7600 baht for a total of 11,600 for 360 days versus the cost of enrollment in a school, plus ED visa and cost of extensions.

Have you been following the threads in this forum for the last 4 months ? There has been a massive crackdown on back-to-back tourist visas and 30-day visa exemptions, but on my last flight in (18 Nov), I was pleasantly surprised to see that the lines were moving quickly and passports were being stamped and handed back very quickly. My extension of stay / re-entry permit meant I didnt need to play 20 questions, but I do feel for the OP if he has made a genuine effort to learn spoken Thai but cant read or write.

The crackdown on the Ed visa was forecast by many here when it became apparent that many who were being bounced would try that option, and there are numerous reports here of people being given a very hard time when entering with an Ed visa. The better option for some may be the Elite card, but many of the same people who claimed they were 'cashed up' objected vehemently to the idea that they needed to pay just to stay in Thailand - go figure.

If this is indicative of an ongoing willingness to deny entry to people staying here long term for something other than tourism or education, I can see an upside. Bye-bye digital nomads under 50. Either stump up the cash or run your multinational corporation from a Starbucks in Pnomh Penh.

Only read the first page but had to comment on this last post. That's a hell of a strategy eh? Take all them wealthy young digital nomads and encourage them to choose other countries. Excellent growth strategy!

Gee I guess maybe they never thought about that.

• Like 1

ATF why don't you think the OP will tell us, all his fans, what airport?

Absolutely no idea.

Since he has been asked a number of times and no response I would assume he is a troll making up the story. It would be too easy to check if we knew the airport.

9:43 he wrote

"Im on the airplane now leaving for Paris."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780216-just-got-kicked-out-of-thai-with-valid-visa/page-4#entry8736343

AF165 to Paris departed 10:35 from Suvarnabhumi

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/129

• Like 2

I was told in Penang just yesterday that ONLY three Tourist Visas are allowed in one year.

Was this by the actual embassy or the tout at Banana Boutique hotel?

I ask because I was told the same thing by the tout when using the Phuket visa run servive, but I've heard they're still giving more than 3 back to back tourist visas

I attended language school when I first moved here to Thailand. Not for the visa as I am retired and also legally married to an actual Thai woman. I attended a school located in the Times Square building down in BKK. I attended for 6 months, once a week. I sincerely wanted to learn the language.

It was certainly a baptism by fire to be sure as it was a horrible curriculum and it just got worse as time went on. Everything was written in thai script from day 1. Nothing was phonetically written so ww could sound out the words. It might as well have been written in Egyptian. The owner of the school even came into class one day and sat right next to me and even he could not read his own book!!! He is originally from Poland he told me, and his name rhymes with "crack." Wow! Talk about buyers regret. Even my thai wife was incensed at the confusing lesson plan the teachers were required to give from the supplied book. Furthermore, the thai teachers even secretly confided in us students that this was a horrible way to learn the Thai language. I was heart broken and very dissapointed with my language school experience. I dropped out after 6 months. That experience really discouraged me after having spent so much money and time and learned very little of real use. On a side note, I studied Japanese language for 2 years in the usa and loved it!

I can totally understand someone not being able to speak or read thai after even a year at the school I attended. I do feel for the french guy, a bad rap all the way around.

Many years ago I attended a local private school here on Phuket. I soon got the gist of the country by the written 'translate these questions/answers' section. i.e. 'I am so happy we are soon to have a baby'. 'How long will you be away my money is running out?' 'I am so looking forward to you coming to Thailand'. 'The ATM card you gave me not working' laugh.png

• Like 2

I attended language school when I first moved here to Thailand. Not for the visa as I am retired and also legally married to an actual Thai woman. I attended a school located in the Times Square building down in BKK. I attended for 6 months, once a week. I sincerely wanted to learn the language.

It was certainly a baptism by fire to be sure as it was a horrible curriculum and it just got worse as time went on. Everything was written in thai script from day 1. Nothing was phonetically written so ww could sound out the words. It might as well have been written in Egyptian. The owner of the school even came into class one day and sat right next to me and even he could not read his own book!!! He is originally from Poland he told me, and his name rhymes with "crack." Wow! Talk about buyers regret. Even my thai wife was incensed at the confusing lesson plan the teachers were required to give from the supplied book. Furthermore, the thai teachers even secretly confided in us students that this was a horrible way to learn the Thai language. I was heart broken and very dissapointed with my language school experience. I dropped out after 6 months. That experience really discouraged me after having spent so much money and time and learned very little of real use. On a side note, I studied Japanese language for 2 years in the usa and loved it!

I can totally understand someone not being able to speak or read thai after even a year at the school I attended. I do feel for the french guy, a bad rap all the way around.

Sorry but if you only go to school once a week ... do you expect to learn anything ? It took me 3 month to learn English from scratch ...that was over 20 years ago... the only way to learn any language ... is to speak it make mistakes get them corrected and try again .. then one day....

You better believe it!

Why ? I don't get it ..however I have encountered some folk years ago in the UK Who have lived there 30 plus years and don't speak a word of English. However these minorities only communicate with their own kind and only watch t.v. of their country of origin. .. trying to be p.c. here ;-)

There are even some that have been here years and never eaten Thai food.

Now you are pulling my leg ... right ?