Just got kicked out of thai with valid visa

These crackdowns and what not for example are pretty much fabricated. Everything is going business as usual. I know first hand about my own experience and that of my housemates who have no problems. One of them attends classes regularly, one doesn't so much. Never ever any problems. Going on trips outside Thailand and back: no problem. No needing to carry stupid amounts of cash, no needing to take a Thai quiz. No-questions-asked extensions. I frankly don't believe the exaggerated third-hand accounts. There is no evidence of it. You can still get multiple tourist visas, etc. I think it's important recognize rumors for what they are.

Those that bury their heads in the sand.... end up suffocating.... tongue.png

There aren't going to be many people signing up for a thaivisa account to make their first post 'just sailed through immigration on my 10th year of Ed visas'. It would just be normal to them. Most news we hear is saturated negativity packaged together for an agenda.

There's no official limit on back to back tourist visas and OP may have had no problems had he been able to show 20k in cash. Thread just runs to 500 posts because members here love a gossip.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people talk about those wonderful cheap tourist visas, so I guess the assumption is that you will be able to get those double and triple entry tourist visas forever, right? Those who complain so much about ED visas and how much trouble going to school is etc. might be up for a very hard landing in the near future. Remember my words. Shortsightedness of future toursit visa issues of some members is embarrassing.

What credibility do you have to make statements on the future of tourist visas?

• Like 2

A lot of people talk about those wonderful cheap tourist visas, so I guess the assumption is that you will be able to get those double and triple entry tourist visas forever, right? Those who complain so much about ED visas and how much trouble going to school is etc. might be up for a very hard landing in the near future. Remember my words. Shortsightedness of future toursit visa issues of some members is embarrassing.

jspill I guess I have a lot of common sense. It is now just a matter of time. I am sure of that and I am a betting man. I don't get things wrong often.

Lol. Shortsightedness of future ED visa issues of some members is embarrassing.

• Like 1

jspill I guess I have a lot of common sense. It is now just a matter of time. I am sure of that and I am a betting man. I don't get things wrong often.

Okay, but to be fair you are just guessing wildly and you have a direct interest in getting people to believe ED visas are the way to go. You're probably the last person to take advice from on this topic. I'm not mad at you or anything, I have friends in your school and they say it's good, no visa problems, etc.

• Like 2

That's a burn

These crackdowns and what not for example are pretty much fabricated. Everything is going business as usual. I know first hand about my own experience and that of my housemates who have no problems. One of them attends classes regularly, one doesn't so much. Never ever any problems. Going on trips outside Thailand and back: no problem. No needing to carry stupid amounts of cash, no needing to take a Thai quiz. No-questions-asked extensions. I frankly don't believe the exaggerated third-hand accounts. There is no evidence of it. You can still get multiple tourist visas, etc. I think it's important recognize rumors for what they are.

Those that bury their heads in the sand.... end up suffocating.... tongue.png

There aren't going to be many people signing up for a thaivisa account to make their first post 'just sailed through immigration on my 10th year of Ed visas'. It would just be normal to them. Most news we hear is saturated negativity packaged together for an agenda.

There's no official limit on back to back tourist visas and OP may have had no problems had he been able to show 20k in cash. Thread just runs to 500 posts because members here love a gossip.

There are no official limits on many things (in many countries). Governments don't tend to write laws that way -- they tend to leave that open to determining the intent. Civil servants basically flush out the implementation and make changes through non-legislative regulations. I have not heard many reports of people getting a 3rd tourist visas (actually I have heard none) back-to-back successfully - I have heard 3rd ones (sometimes even 2nd ones) rejected though. The working while in Thailand is a prime example of what is written differing from implementation. The written law basically outlaws pretty well everything, including getting out of bed in the morning.... while the implementation allows people to do a lot of things like check email etc.

BKKSnowBird, good try but you are wrong. ED visa are not going anywhere, follow a few easy rules and no problems at all. ED visas are beneficial to the country actually. I am not worried at all. Want a bet?

• Like 1

BKKSnowBird, good try but you are wrong. ED visa are not going anywhere, follow a few easy rules and no problems at all. ED visas are beneficial to the country actually. I am not worried at all. Want a bet?

ED visas are bootstraps for the for-profit language school/get a visa to stay in Thailand business model. ED visas aren't going anywhere and neither are tourist visas, but being able to get an ED visa through for-profit language schools might be on its way out. If you want to be sure about your status, enroll at a public university.

Beneficial to the country? How is having a bunch of students better than tourist? Seems to me, true students that are NOT working should have no problems proving how they support themselves.

How many of these students do you think could do that?

• Like 2

I'll have a bet, too. Tourist visas are just that, for tourists, with the possibility of a few extensions until your time is up. Don't cry when immigration call time.

Ed visas provide far more scope, but, again, not forever. Just ensure you're here to better your education and don't take the p&@s. Easy.

Edited by wooloomooloo
  • Like 1

I'll have a bet, too. Tourist visas are just that, for tourists, with the possibility of a few extensions until your time is up. Don't cry when immigration call time.

Ed visas provide far more scope, but, again, not forever. Just ensure you're here to better your education and don't take the p&@s. Easy.

Not forever for sure but you will certainly get a much longer run with less worries. The problem is most people are not that good at analysing things. I would even say tourist visas are a trap!

• Like 2

My wife and I (both British) are in our 3rd year of staying here on Ed visas. Two weeks ago we left the country to make new Ed visas (our 2nd). Went to Laos and turned it into a week long trip. Had a wonderful time.

We've never had a problem being issued with visas or extending our visas at immigration. Never been tested in any way but whenever we go to immigration or enter the country we speak Thai with the official present.

Used re-entry permits on several occasions, the latest being a couple of months ago when we were out of the country for a week. Flew back into Suvarnaphum Airport and the immigration official stamped us both in speedily and without comment.

Every so often we read on Thai visa that someone's had a problem with an Ed visa.....it usually turns out there is more to the story though........ as mentioned we've never encountered any problems (always had the correct documents though).

Both in our forties and enjoying studying Thai and living here. Life is good even with the abundance of 'wofs' that reside here.......... :)

• Like 1

My wife and I (both British) are in our 3rd year of staying here on Ed visas. Two weeks ago we left the country to make new Ed visas (our 2nd). Went to Laos and turned it into a week long trip. Had a wonderful time.

We've never had a problem being issued with visas or extending our visas at immigration. Never been tested in any way but whenever we go to immigration or enter the country we speak Thai with the official present.

Used re-entry permits on several occasions, the latest being a couple of months ago when we were out of the country for a week. Flew back into Suvarnaphum Airport and the immigration official stamped us both in speedily and without comment.

Every so often we read on Thai visa that someone's had a problem with an Ed visa.....it usually turns out there is more to the story though........ as mentioned we've never encountered any problems (always had the correct documents though).

Both in our forties and enjoying studying Thai and living here. Life is good even with the abundance of 'wofs' that reside here.......... smile.png

The fact that you speak Thai to them from time to time indicates that you are at least learning the language - even if you were absent from class. I know immigration systems in other countries collect much more information about you than you might be aware of - including notes / observations.

ED visas are bootstraps for the for-profit language school/get a visa to stay in Thailand business model. ED visas aren't going anywhere and neither are tourist visas, but being able to get an ED visa through for-profit language schools might be on its way out. If you want to be sure about your status, enroll at a public university.

An ED for an education institution will typically have less questions attached to them. I don't think for-profit schools (language or otherwise - since they tend to be grouped together) will disappear -- but I do expect sooner or later you will start seeing the regulations more tightly enforced and schools losing their ability for visa education students. There are for-profit schools here in Thailand, where public schools would not teach the subject.... things like flight schools etc. A school in the may get judged on the quality of their students - so a school with too many students having troubles will endanger the schools authorization.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 2

Both in our forties and enjoying studying Thai and living here. Life is good even with the abundance of 'wofs' that reside here.......... smile.png

The fact that you speak Thai to them from time to time indicates that you are at least learning the language - even if you were absent from class. I know immigration systems in other countries collect much more information about you than you might be aware of - including notes / observations.

We very rarely miss a class and if we do, we can usually make the time up with a bit of re-arranging. As for speaking Thai from 'time to time', we speak Thai daily with every Thai person we meet. It's the only way to retain the language. We're absolutely loving it.

• Like 1

An ED for an education institution will typically have less questions attached to them. I don't think for-profit schools (language or otherwise - since they tend to be grouped together) will disappear -- but I do expect sooner or later you will start seeing the regulations more tightly enforced and schools losing their ability for visa education students. There are for-profit schools here in Thailand, where public schools would not teach the subject.... things like flight schools etc. A school in the may get judged on the quality of their students - so a school with too many students having troubles will endanger the schools authorization.

Yeah and it might be difficult for the bottom line of FP-language school businesses if customers are required to attend as though they are proper students in terms of classroom capacity. I wonder if MacWalen would like to comment on that. Can these business accommodate 80+% customer class attendance? How close to 100%? Or does the business model figure in a much lower attendance rate to be highly profitable?

• Like 1

Yeah and it might be difficult for the bottom line of FP-language school businesses if customers are required to attend as though they are proper students in terms of classroom capacity. I wonder if MacWalen would like to comment on that. Can these business accommodate 80+% customer class attendance? How close to 100%? Or does the business model figure in a much lower attendance rate to be highly profitable?

80+- % is perfect attendance. What I love about Thai people is that they are very reasonable people. I haven't met an unreasonable one yet and I don't think I will, perspective of 13 years. As long as u use and not abuse you are safe and welcome.

...... I would even say tourist visas are a trap!

I would take it easy before saying that . I don't think "Trap" is an appropriate word . For the newbies who read the forum for the first time , Tourist Visa Double Entry is perfectly legal and you can get it at any Thai Embassy or Consulate around the world ....

.....Although it might cause damage to Schools...rolleyes.gif

...... I would even say tourist visas are a trap!

I would take it easy before saying that . I don't think "Trap" is an appropriate word . For the newbies who read the forum for the first time , Tourist Visa Double Entry is perfectly legal and you can get it at any Thai Embassy or Consulate around the world ....

.....Although it might cause damage to Schools...rolleyes.gif

ok, and what after? Another double entry? and after? Writing on the wall. Those who trusted me were never disappointed. I have my students well being as my priority.

I don't want to say I am an expert but there is certainly no other person who has helped more people to enjoy the Thai culture and learn the language along with long term stay in Thailand. Stating a simple fact. If I am not the expert then i don't know who is.

Edited by MacWalen

ok, and what after? Another double entry? and after? Writing on the wall. Those who trusted me were never disappointed. I have my students well being as my priority.

Then the Thai Elite visa.... for me the cost of taking courses was probably close on an annual basis anyway because I could not stand sitting in a class with a bunch of foreigners - so it was 1 on 1 only :P

• Like 1

Then the Thai Elite visa.... for me the cost of taking courses was probably close on an annual basis anyway because I could not stand sitting in a class with a bunch of foreigners - so it was 1 on 1 only tongue.png

500,000 for 5 years one time payment vs. 39,000 per year. I think most people would opt for the latter. You are in the 1% of the population of the world. Very few are at your level.

500,000 for 5 years one time payment vs. 39,000 per year. I think most people would opt for the latter. You are in the 1% of the population of the world. Very few are at your level.

University cost more (when books etc. were included) 25+ years ago (and that was subsidized Canadian prices)..... and I have a little bit more money now than I did then. For a while I was spending an average of $200ish flying to Singapore every 30 days or so (after I finished with the ED visa), and every 3 months maybe a hotel room for one night (will still do it but less frequently now).... that added up - so the only thing with the Thai Elite visa is that it is all upfront - which is a little painful.... but worth it. I can now take courses or do things at my own pace. In the end it is all relative, it is just how you justify it to yourself.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

No one is saying you're an unreliable person...The fact you are a trustworthy teacher/manager doesn't mean the others are fools or aspiring outlaws .

Thai law allows a foreigner to stay in Thailand 6 months with a double entry tourist visa . You do 6 months and when it's over you go 3 days somewhere in Laos or Cambodia getting another one...At the moment this is perfectly legal . If anyone in this forum knows something different please... I'm here to listen.

Edited by jonnyramone
  • Like 2

No one is saying you're an unreliable person...The fact you are a trustworthy teacher/manager doesn't mean the others are fools or aspiring outlaws .

Thai law allows a foreigner to stay in Thailand 6 months with a double entry tourist visa . You do 6 months and when it's over you go 3 days somewhere in Laos or Cambodia getting another one...At the moment this is perfectly legal . If anyone in this forum knows something different please... I'm here to listen.

I thought a tourist visa was 60 days extendable to 90 days at the immigration office. Assuming that the Embassy you go to for a second one does not baulk at it (I have seen many posts were the 2nd one was denied). I have been personally given 4 days on one of these flying back on a multi-entry visa because that lined up with the expiry date (he asked visa or not, I thought I was being smart and said visa - 4 days left tongue.png). Now you have 6 months in the country, and I have not heard of people being able to get 3. What do you do for the rest of the year? The only one that I have heard getting a 6 months visa was my sister.... and that was a favour from the Ambassador of Thailand.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

Enough please.

MacWalen has been doing this for a very long time and he knows his business. There is no one here who should be arguing with him unless you just don't want help.

Does anyone expect him to post everything he knows about keeping you here on an Ed visa on an open forum?

I could tell you more things about how he can help you but I won't do it here and neither will he. He is somewhat handicapped in this discussion because he can't tell you all he knows.

Enough said?