Just got kicked out of thai with valid visa

Johnny BKK post # 88.

I was here for 8 years on marriage visa but got divorced so i applied for student visa. I dont attend classes as i already speak thai good enough and that was fine until recently. They said they believed that i was working here. I dont work really in thailand i have income from a business in HK. My Ed visa was 7 or 8 month old. Im on the airplane now leaving for Paris.

Well there is the proof that the deportee was abusing the system and has been caught and now paying the price.

Here for eight years and still couldn't or wouldn't get a proper visa., many options out there to take the right road.

• Like 2

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was here for 8 years on marriage visa but got divorced so i applied for student visa. I dont attend classes as i already speak thai good enough and that was fine until recently. They said they believed that i was working here. I dont work really in thailand i have income from a business in HK. My Ed visa was 7 or 8 month old. Im on the airplane now leaving for Paris.

Why didn't you talk to the supervising officer? Also what you just told would make your stay illegitimate, as you have not attended any classes, so you kinda dug a hole for yourself sad.png Wish you all the best in your future adventures wai.gif

• Like 1

They didnt let me in. I asked 100 times to fly anywhere else than my country and it was refused. They said the only country i can go back is France. Immigration officer told me every ed visa will be checked.

This might sound a bit un PC but are you of N. African descent? He could well have been profiling.

They said i will be refused in other countries because of my thailand refusal stamp. They dont want to let me fly anywhere else than france.

I think they're lying to you. I could be wrong but it's worth double checking.

Maybe, if possible he could try that then try his luck at the landward border crossings in Cambodia or Malaysia.

Johnny, I would have asked to see a supervisor, to see where he would stand - it's totally ok to do so. Sorry to hear you got refused. Btw which airport was this?

I know in the USA with a proper visa of any kind (not the VWP though) you can appeal the decision and take it to a judge if DHS refuse you entry. Does Thailand have an appeals process also??

I'd have asked to speak to a supervisor, sorry to hear you got stung, 6 months is not enough to learn a language like a native speaker.

Yes there indeed is the possibility to appeal, and negotiate with the higher ups - but now Bkk Johnny revealed that he indeed didn't have the qualifications required for the visa he was entering with, so it's kind of moot point - too bad for the guy as travel isn't inexpensive.

Johnny BKK post # 90.

They told me if i want to come back better change my passport and get a tourist visa with at least 700 usd in cash, go and back ticket, hotel bookings and a plan to visit Thailand.... they want real tourists not foreigners living here on student visas.

Looks like the writing is not only on the wall for you but also on the immigration department computer system for you too as well as few others too.

Johnny BKK post # 90.

They told me if i want to come back better change my passport and get a tourist visa with at least 700 usd in cash, go and back ticket, hotel bookings and a plan to visit Thailand.... they want real tourists not foreigners living here on student visas.

Looks like the writing is not only on the wall for you but also on the immigration department computer system for you too as well as few others too.

You must have 20k baht that's the rule.

• Like 1

Maybe your ex told them that you are working here so she might be able to secure any assets left for her.

I know this is just guessing but I have met farang hubbies that have been screwed by their ex for getting them out of the country buy reporting them as working without a work permit, etc.

20k in the pocket is well known for the past few months since some kind of crack down started.

Edited by MobileContent

The days of entering Thailand on a suspect Ed Visa are finished.

Those entering Thailand for an extended period are required under Thai immigration law to have the correct and appropriate visa to which there intended purpose of stay may be.

All countries require this.

How naive are you....they are cancelling legitimate visa's as well simply because, as it has been pointed out a thousand times, all of these procedures are subject to interpretation and the attitude of whichever official you happen to be lucky or unlucky enough to deal with. I think the OP is lucky to be out of the country and he shouldn't want to come back.

' they are cancelling legitimate visas ' .... gimme a break .. violin.gif

" I was here for 8 years on marriage visa but got divorced so i applied for student visa. I dont attend classes as i already speak thai good enough and that was fine until recently. They said they believed that i was working here. I dont work really in thailand i have income from a business in HK. My Ed visa was 7 or 8 month old. Im on the airplane now leaving for Paris."

The Ed Visa road show is finished ........

The important thing is not my situation here but the fact that with an ed visa 7 month old if you speak thai with 9K baht in your pocket and credit cards you can get refused entry. And yes i had proper re entry permit.

Johnny see it from their point of view you are running a biz and not attending school and no 20k baht. You couldn't take it out of an ATM either so you didn't have it. Your credit cards are not proof of funds.

• Like 1

How were you able to get your extensions every 90 days without attending classes.

I would assume that when you went to immigration with the school attendance report showing you never attend school would have created problems before.

When I arrived recently on a tourist visa I didn't have any hotels booked and they didn't ask for anything like that. They didn't ask to see cash, didn't ask for tickets back home either! Still YMMV I guess.

Someone read the reason for me it says insufficient funds. But the officer really got angry when i couldnt read thai. I had 9k baht on me a business world mastercard fully loaded and a kasikorn atm. I believe only cash counts. If i had enough cash i believe he would have said something else.

Aren't you supposed to provide proof of sufficient funds at entry to be able to support yourself? 20k cash I believe and they don't accept credit cards or foreign currency.

They asked me on my last re-entry to show it.

I'm guessing not being able to read or write Thai had nothing to do with your refusal.

As soon that they have decided to deny you entrance, they just need to find a reason...

In OP case not having sufficient funds was more easy to write down rather than explaining his bad proficiency in Thai.

In my case, as I had enough cash and return ticket, they had choosen: suspicion of illegal working.

• Like 1

Johnny why don't you call Walen and get him to sort it out. If he can he'll be a hero.

Good idea.

If the school can show proof he was regularly attending classes and his teachers will remember him and write about his effort in class then possibly problem solved.

Someone earlier mentioned 4 hours a week for student visa is a joke. I agree but that is up to the country to decide.

If a licensed school is sending false attendance reports to immigration or allowing students showing no effort to continue is completely different.

I suspect there is a lot more to the story.

I expect schools will be required to report truants and if they don't their licenses will be revoked. Immigration are not stupid they look for people who go on trips when they should be in school.

• Like 2

Johnny, I would have asked to see a supervisor, to see where he would stand - it's totally ok to do so. Sorry to hear you got refused. Btw which airport was this?

I know in the USA with a proper visa of any kind (not the VWP though) you can appeal the decision and take it to a judge if DHS refuse you entry. Does Thailand have an appeals process also??

I'd have asked to speak to a supervisor, sorry to hear you got stung, 6 months is not enough to learn a language like a native speaker.

Yes there indeed is the possibility to appeal, and negotiate with the higher ups - but now Bkk Johnny revealed that he indeed didn't have the qualifications required for the visa he was entering with, so it's kind of moot point - too bad for the guy as travel isn't inexpensive.

Out of curiousity what are the qualifications required for an ED Visa? I was under the impression you had to show you actually had booked the education course via a letter for getting the visa and that was it? I never did the ED Visa route though.

He still hasn't answered which airport.

Didn't Mac Whalen used to be very active on this forum? I hope he gets involved in this. I've know people who attend Whalen school and I thought they started them out reading Thai script from the very beginning. I'm surprised the OP can't at least read Thai. Maybe not write Thai after just six months, but I'd think he should be able to read it.

The op already admitted he never attends school since he can already speak Thai.

This is why he can't read.

Amazing he was able to get his Ed extension at immigration without attending school.

Out of curiousity what are the qualifications required for an ED Visa? I was under the impression you had to show you actually had booked the education course via a letter for getting the visa and that was it? I never did the ED Visa route though.

Ask Walen his ad is around here somewhere.

He still hasn't answered which airport.

Didn't Mac Whalen used to be very active on this forum? I hope he gets involved in this. I've know people who attend Whalen school and I thought they started them out reading Thai script from the very beginning. I'm surprised the OP can't at least read Thai. Maybe not write Thai after just six months, but I'd think he should be able to read it.

The op already admitted he never attends school since he can already speak Thai.

This is why he can't read.

Amazing he was able to get his Ed extension at immigration without attending school.

Its even more amazing that after 8 years here he cannot read or write thai... suspicions aroused at the border? .. for sure ! Why bother with an ED visa and not attend class... makes no sense. Edited by bigwhitewarrior
  • Like 1

Haven't been on ED-visa myself for several years, but what I remember upon the first entry was the invitation letter from the school you're attending, and then when extending the stay you had to have attendance reports from the school, proving that you're actually studying the required amount (tho they weren't overseeing this in such detail as nowadays). Looking at the forum for past months it's only gotten stricter, so they now expect a proof of language proficiency - at least at kindergarden understanding - and apparently it's now written and spoken Thai - mai khao jai won't cut it anymore, at least if you can't spell it for them unsure.png.pagespeed.ce.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

• Like 1