Health Card for Foreigners

NiwPix

I have a question regard the Health Card / Medical Card they issued to foreigners last year. My dad got the card for the first time last year in Surin. He did the initial check up, paid 2,000 Baht and got the card. This year he wanted to renew it ( in Surin ) and they said it was discontinued...which is fine. I have heard reports that in Ubon some weren't able to renew that card either. However, someone was able to renew his card in Kantharalaka few days ago.

Does anybody have current information or confirmed renewals / cancellations of the Health Card in Isaan?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard it was designed for migrant workers from Laos and Cambodia but before some hospitals got the training they gave them out for all foreigners. I guess now that they are educated about the card they are not renewing it for farangs.

The card itself has been declared illegal for any foreigner except Cambodia, Laotians and Myanmar. This has been done by the Ministry of Public Heath as this card never was meant for other foreigners and a major loop hole was left open. In Surin and thoughtout Thailand its now DEAD for any farang. You may find the odd hospital that will honor it but not for long.

NP,

I went to renew my card this week in Ha Sip Pansa, Ubon. The answer was as expected - Sorry, scheme is cancelled now.

The lady did say, with a smile, that the last government was working on a new scheme for expats, so I should re-apply if and when we get a new government.

However, nothing to stop up continuing to use the hospital, which I will. You never know, being a relatively small hospital with few expat patients, we may well be given the 30 baht rate!

Elwood

The card itself has been declared illegal for any foreigner except Cambodia, Laotians and Myanmar. This has been done by the Ministry of Public Heath as this card never was meant for other foreigners and a major loop hole was left open. In Surin and thoughtout Thailand its now DEAD for any farang. You may find the odd hospital that will honor it but not for long.

Maybe this is a silly question, but what the heck..... Do you reckon it might be worth establishing a "Lobby Group", perhaps through Thai Visa

(if George and his pals want to run with it) and attempt to show the Minister that it would be Decent Gesture to aid the Ferang, many of whom, come from countries where Thais are accorded this courtesy?

Example: my Thai wife and our Thai daughter when we lived in Australia for a couple of years. If it was reintroduced, it would be guaranteed to "Spread HAPPINESS" throughout the Ferang population that contributes mightily towards the financial well being of the Thai Economy.

But seriously, have any of you actually been into one of the government hospitals that participate in the scheme? Go in with a simple pimple of your leg and your more likely to come out with a leg amputated.

Of all the things I would not let any Thai Government program 'help' me with, number one, by a country mile is health insurance. I'll give up on practically everything to buy insurance that allows treatment in a private hospital, which I have to say in my experience are as good as any in the west.

But seriously, have any of you actually been into one of the government hospitals that participate in the scheme? Go in with a simple pimple of your leg and your more likely to come out with a leg amputated.

Of all the things I would not let any Thai Government program 'help' me with, number one, by a country mile is health insurance. I'll give up on practically everything to buy insurance that allows treatment in a private hospital, which I have to say in my experience are as good as any in the west.

Have you not noticed that most doctors work in BOTH private and government hospitals? Sure, a private hospital is more efficient and comfortable, of that I'm sure.

Have you not noticed that most doctors work in BOTH private and government hospitals? Sure, a private hospital is more efficient and comfortable, of that I'm sure.

I've used my (now defunct) card at our district hospital for treatment. i have always been treated professionally, in a modern, well equipped hospital by the very doctors who also service the private hospital - no complaints whatsoever. Also, to my surprise the whole process has always been much quicker than expected. So personally GinBoy2 I have no idea what you are talking about.

You're right about that. But I had the "bad luck" with a malfunctioning rear brake at my big bike. An accident just doing 20 km/h and 270 kg fell on my inner right leg, broke it four times near the Tibia head.

I had the social security card, the operation was done at the Sisaket hospital, where a doctor put the pieces together with a metal plate.

I shouldn't worry and I'll be able to ride my bike in six months again, that's what he always said.

I had to see this doctor, an orthopaedic surgeon every month, but after eight months on crutches I went to a "real" hospital.

Diagnosis: " We have to cut all in pieces, put it together, wait for the healing process, then implant an artificial knee joint.bah.gif

That was the time when I had to sell my beloved bike to have money to fly to my home country, finally found a way to get back into the system and received an artificial knee joint. All in all five very serious operations.

The joke was that the doctor didn't refer me to Ubon Ratchathani's Sapphasit hospital, where they're familiar with such procedures.

On a Saturday evening, I had to bring my wife to the Sisaket hospital, as she had severe stomach pain, carried her into the Emergency room and was shocked.

There're about seven seriously injured people who had motorbike accidents. The guy who's usually the clerk, doing all the paperwork wore a white coat, tried to help some victims, but looked pretty helpless.facepalm.gif

There was not even one doctor for at least another 30 minutes. So please don't get sick, or have an accident on the weekend, in the evening.

I have nothing but praise for the Government hospitals i have been to in Thailand 7 different hospitals in total. So I sure as hell dont know what you are talking about.

I have nothing but praise for the Government hospitals i have been to in Thailand 7 different hospitals in total. So I sure as hell dont know what you are talking about.

A personal friend was checked into a private hospital this hospital dam near killed him. After 10 days his wife had him transferred to a government hospital which save his life.

I now have the health card. Recently I needed the best medical treatment and health care. I gave the thought of checking into the Sa Kaeo hospital a quick rejection and----

Went to Bangkok to the Bumrungrad hospital where I am very sure they saved my life with world class health care.

Jim

Are you a cat? The say cats have seven lives though.-coffee1.gif

A personal friend was checked into a private hospital this hospital dam near killed him. After 10 days his wife had him transferred to a government hospital which save his life.

Said the wife and had more money to spend. Seriously, private hospitals have something which is called "reputation." Government hospitals, especially the big ones always have starters,, who're learning by doing.

I can back this up and have helped quite a few foreigners in emergency situations in lower northeast. Government hospitals do not even have the facilities to separate highly infectious patients from the others.

"if you can, take him out of here and bring him to the private xxxxx hospital in xxxx town". That's what a doctor had told me, not working in this private hospital.

Page me if you want proof, I can send you some photos, where you'd start to think twice.

Your cats are being short changed. English cats have 9 lives!

Surely to say private hospitals are better than government hospitals is a bit of a generalisation.

In Buriram, for example, it is the private hospital that is infamous. I have used the government hospital many times and have found the care and treatment to be first class.

You got that wrong also. Cats have 9 lives.

DO YOU ever get anything right?coffee1.gif

There are many good private hospitals in Thailand, almost all in the larger cities, and almost all over priced. There are also many good public hospitals, some of the best are public. The University Hospital in Khon Kaen is hard to beat. Most district towns and small cities don't have private hospitals and those that do are usually worse than the public ones. I am lucky my district hospital is quite big as district hospitals go (90 beds) and is very good and knows it's limitations, and will refer you if it can't handle the problem. I had a serious motorcycle accident a couple of years ago, broke my upper left arm and my left leg in two places, and had excellent care.

Your cats are being short changed. English cats have 9 lives!

Not when they were moved to Thailand......w00t.gif

You got that wrong also. Cats have 9 lives.

DO YOU ever get anything right?coffee1.gif

Please Google it. Thailand is the hub of seven lives for cats. But it's okay if you're a newbie... sad.png

There are many good private hospitals in Thailand, almost all in the larger cities, and almost all over priced. There are also many good public hospitals, some of the best are public. The University Hospital in Khon Kaen is hard to beat. Most district towns and small cities don't have private hospitals and those that do are usually worse than the public ones. I am lucky my district hospital is quite big as district hospitals go (90 beds) and is very good and knows it's limitations, and will refer you if it can't handle the problem. I had a serious motorcycle accident a couple of years ago, broke my upper left arm and my left leg in two places, and had excellent care.

In the end it's about the quality of the doctors, roughly speaking. A well educated doctor knows what to do, while some have no idea about what they're doing.

There're plenty of good doctors at government hospitals. but some of them have hundreds of patients. So who makes the decision which patient will have the needed operation first?

An envelope filled with money might change the director of the hospitals mind. I've met quite a lot good doctors who'd studied abroad, but their workload is unbelievable.

That's why I prefer a private hospital, as they'll take the time to amputate the wrong leg.

Don't know about the personal treatment at government hospitals but here in Korat we have 2 big private hospitals, St. Mary's and Bangkok Hospital. I went to both for a hearing test. Both private hospitals told me that they did not have the proper equipment for my specialized test, only the government hospital, Maharat, had the equipment. I also saw a urologist at St. Mary's. He said he also serves as a doctor at the government hospital and if I needed a biopsy he would make an appointment at the government hospital for me since they had better equipment than St. Mary's. Seems the big government hospitals have the newest equipment.

Don't know about the personal treatment at government hospitals but here in Korat we have 2 big private hospitals, St. Mary's and Bangkok Hospital. I went to both for a hearing test. Both private hospitals told me that they did not have the proper equipment for my specialized test, only the government hospital, Maharat, had the equipment. I also saw a urologist at St. Mary's. He said he also serves as a doctor at the government hospital and if I needed a biopsy he would make an appointment at the government hospital for me since they had better equipment than St. Mary's. Seems the big government hospitals have the newest equipment.

You're right about that. The biggest problem might be that the government hospitals have to take all patients, no matter how full the hospital already is.

All patients that live in this province, patients from several Asian countries, patients from Europe, America and elsewhere, patients refereed to them from other smaller hospitals, etc...

An older friend of mine had to pay such circumstances with his life, as he haven't had an insurance.

He caught three different types of viruses that are causing lung infections and finally passed away, as the doctors couldn't concentrate on his well being. All the floors are always filled with beds and it's difficult to walk through.

A good example to understand what I mean would be to visit building four at Sapphasit hospital Ubon, fourth floor. I've seen a "live operation", done by an Indian Sikh, they'd phoned to save a monk's life.

I had a chat with the Indian doctor who isn't directly employed by the hospital. They only phone him if they really have an emergency at night. Some people left the room, as it was a real bloody operation.

The OP was made next to my friend's bed. Every day three to four patients in said ICU room passed away, easy to find out through empty beds...

Some of them had minor injuries, but caught something very serious from this room.

The doctor told me that he'd be very sorry for my friend's circumstances, but they don't have space to separate the highly infectious patients.

His girl friend called me when he passed away and I saw them trying to get him back. Then he was brought to their famous chamber, where a worker told me that between 20 and 40 people each day would come to his "final destination."

Even the best doctor on this planet can't be always available for one hundred very sick patients. I wrote this as an eye opener for those who haven't got any insurance and might think they won't get sick.

Cheers.-wai2.gif

Hello All, here in Korat, Saint Mary wanted to take my lag off for an bad infection,

went to the gov hospital, spent a week and am still walking after two years with

my leg attached. I do now use the RTA Hospital, smaller lines/waits and one of

the Dr. at his clinic for my diabetes and hypertension, my BP at 67yo is like it was

when I was in my 20's.

rice555

Hello All, here in Korat, Saint Mary wanted to take my lag off for an bad infection,

went to the gov hospital, spent a week and am still walking after two years with

my leg attached. I do now use the RTA Hospital, smaller lines/waits and one of

the Dr. at his clinic for my diabetes and hypertension, my BP at 67yo is like it was

when I was in my 20's.

rice555

Nice to see that there're good doctors at government hospitals. But the good doctors have to take care the ones who can afford a private room.

In the end it's all about money, but not just in Thailand. Glad to see that they saved your leg. Thanks for sharing.

The discussion is about Health care card and hospitals ,,,,,,,,,,,,and you want to talk about cats, another one trying to change the topic,sad.png

I stayed in goverment hospital here in Mukdahan for 5 days a couple of years ago

first night was in an open bay,was people every were,hot ,lots of noise,didn't get much sleep that night

next morning the doctor said they were moveing me to the VIP section

room was like a hotel room,a/c nice bed,in room bathroom,microwave,freg,even a nice bed for the wife,also let our small dog stay with us

room was something like 1000TB a day,kind of hated to leave biggrin.png

all in all was treated beter than some of the USA hospitals

oh yea,forgot the food was out standing

Archived