Health Card for Foreigners

NiwPix

State health insurance for uninsured foreigners

Meanwhile, the free hospital treatment of foreigners (30 THB scheme) living permanently in Thailand has been cancelled At first, no new hospital cards were issued to foreigners, later around mid-September 2013, also the foreigners who were already in possession of this card, were denied free treatment.

With the expiry of the free hospital treatment, however, a new low-cost health insurance for protection of permanently in Thailand residing foreigners was created.

State health insurance for uninsured foreigners has been cancelled! (Nov 2014)

This new cheap, state health insurance can be obtained at the local state hospital of your residence. The yearly premium amounts to 2200 THB. Additionally, a preliminary investigation is obligatory and costs 600 THB. In addition to the measurement of weight, height and blood pressure, a blood and urine lab test and X-raying of the chest will be performed. For children, this investigation is not required. The yearly premium for a child is 365 THB.

There are no restrictions regarding the age of entry or on pre-existing medical conditions. Only alcohol and drug abuse, as well as syphilis or tuberculosis will lead to rejection.

The permanent residence in Thailand has to be demonstrated. This can be done giving proof of marriage with a Thai partner and then over inscription in her/his blue house book or one’s own yellow house book.

I would like to point out that this information is based on Reports of friends and that it is quite conceivable that this is handled differently across the country. Please note that at the moment not all hospitals have the necessary links and programs in place yet.

http://www.siam-info.com/english/health_insurance_for_uninsured_alien.html

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to point out that this information is based on Reports of friends

Suggest you talk to the Thai Visa sponsors - AA Insurance Brokers - as they are up to date on all the policies available in Thailand and overseas and do not rely on hearsay.

I acquired the health card in January of this year (2015). I was informed this is the last year it will be offered to farangs.

Suppose it makes us feel at home since any type of assistance seems void for expats now

My card expires at the end of July 2015, I have been informed by the hospital admin that it will not be renewed.sad.png

I was told this was by order of the military.coffee1.gif

It happened before the military took over, and I believe anyone issued a card after February 2014, was darn lucky. For the life of me, I don't know why they don't issue long term residences social security cards that you get if you work for a Thai Company, the company pays ฿750 and the employee ฿750 a month, only in this case there would be no company, so we would pay ฿1,500 a month.

What is a 'long term residence'?

As a foreigner, you are required by Thai Immigration Law to initially enter the Kingdom on a Visa if you wish to have a long-term stay in Thailand. This can be a visa (tourist visa for 60 days or non-immigrant visa for 90 days) issued by a Thai Embassy or Consulate outside of Thailand.

http://www.thaiembassy.com/visa/thaivisa.php

I acquired the health card in January of this year (2015). I was informed this is the last year it will be offered to farangs.

Suppose it makes us feel at home since any type of assistance seems void for expats now

Sorry mate, not many of us are americans, and therefore we are taken care of just fine back home.....

Sorry about your home-situation.. luckily you are a minority,,,

Glegolo

Ya retire here Take our money but don't give us any services

This is crap We seriously help the Thai Economy but no services I am thinking of moving to another country because of the way the

Government treats Ex Pats

You knew that when you came.

Thais don't get much...why should we get anything. Just wish our home countries treated immigrants the same way!

Ya retire here Take our money but don't give us any services

This is crap We seriously help the Thai Economy but no services I am thinking of moving to another country because of the way the

Government treats Ex Pats

Maybe you should go home.cheesy.gif

Don't know about the personal treatment at government hospitals but here in Korat we have 2 big private hospitals, St. Mary's and Bangkok Hospital. I went to both for a hearing test. Both private hospitals told me that they did not have the proper equipment for my specialized test, only the government hospital, Maharat, had the equipment. I also saw a urologist at St. Mary's. He said he also serves as a doctor at the government hospital and if I needed a biopsy he would make an appointment at the government hospital for me since they had better equipment than St. Mary's. Seems the big government hospitals have the newest equipment.

You're right about that. The biggest problem might be that the government hospitals have to take all patients, no matter how full the hospital already is.

All patients that live in this province, patients from several Asian countries, patients from Europe, America and elsewhere, patients refereed to them from other smaller hospitals, etc...

An older friend of mine had to pay such circumstances with his life, as he haven't had an insurance.

He caught three different types of viruses that are causing lung infections and finally passed away, as the doctors couldn't concentrate on his well being. All the floors are always filled with beds and it's difficult to walk through.

A good example to understand what I mean would be to visit building four at Sapphasit hospital Ubon, fourth floor. I've seen a "live operation", done by an Indian Sikh, they'd phoned to save a monk's life.

I had a chat with the Indian doctor who isn't directly employed by the hospital. They only phone him if they really have an emergency at night. Some people left the room, as it was a real bloody operation.

The OP was made next to my friend's bed. Every day three to four patients in said ICU room passed away, easy to find out through empty beds...

Some of them had minor injuries, but caught something very serious from this room.

The doctor told me that he'd be very sorry for my friend's circumstances, but they don't have space to separate the highly infectious patients.

His girl friend called me when he passed away and I saw them trying to get him back. Then he was brought to their famous chamber, where a worker told me that between 20 and 40 people each day would come to his "final destination."

Even the best doctor on this planet can't be always available for one hundred very sick patients. I wrote this as an eye opener for those who haven't got any insurance and might think they won't get sick.

Cheers.-wai2.gif

Thailand has a 2 tier medical system which is bursting at the seams. To many patients not enough beds. Now they want to become the "hub" of medical services to foreigners. I suggest they provide for their own people before the onset of greed sets in.

Obviously the standards will vary from hospital to hospital and depend on the quality and training of the doctors working there. My experience of Government hospitals is that they were excellent at all the ones I have visited, though unsophisticated in their approach ! Bumungrad is excellent but more expensive than private hospitals in the U.K. ! I cannot see them ever agreeing in a million years to the suggestion that accident emergencies should be treated free of charge for the first 72 hours ! Forget it !! They have pay desks on every floor to make sure you don't disappear without paying !!

Sorry mate, not many of us are americans, and therefore we are taken care of just fine back home.....

Sorry about your home-situation.. luckily you are a minority,,,

Glegolo

Yes, English tax payer will fully paid up National Insurance contributions.

"What is a 'long term residence'?"

I thought maybe it had something to do with how long you stayed at one address, and was wondering how long that was to be considered 'long term'.

I use government hospitals on a regular basis and have always felt like I got good service and care.

I figure what you are paying for with higher fees at private hospitals is time.

But seriously, have any of you actually been into one of the government hospitals that participate in the scheme? Go in with a simple pimple of your leg and your more likely to come out with a leg amputated.

Of all the things I would not let any Thai Government program 'help' me with, number one, by a country mile is health insurance. I'll give up on practically everything to buy insurance that allows treatment in a private hospital, which I have to say in my experience are as good as any in the west.

I have been into several of the approved hospitals and regular government hospitals. My wife and friends have been into several of the approved hospitals and regular government hospitals. In every instance, we have all received excellent care.

I heard about the health card some time ago I made some enquiries it only applied to laos people and thais . many comments are made about hospitals in Thailand and some of the comments are uncalled for if you want the best you have to pay for it .

Maybe this is a silly question, but what the heck..... Do you reckon it might be worth establishing a "Lobby Group", perhaps through Thai Visa

(if George and his pals want to run with it) and attempt to show the Minister that it would be Decent Gesture to aid the Ferang, many of whom, come from countries where Thais are accorded this courtesy?

Example: my Thai wife and our Thai daughter when we lived in Australia for a couple of years. If it was reintroduced, it would be guaranteed to "Spread HAPPINESS" throughout the Ferang population that contributes mightily towards the financial well being of the Thai Economy.

YES its a silly question.

How long have you been in Thailand ? You want a "Lobby Group"!!!!!!

Also, do you really think Farang expats contribute mightily to the financial wellbeing of Thailand ? Of course we don't... we could all go home and the economy would not notice.

You are a guest, understand that and get used to it.. it's not going to change.

My card expires at the end of July 2015, I have been informed by the hospital admin that it will not be renewed.sad.png

I was told this was by order of the military.coffee1.gif

when i registered for the HEALTH CARD FOR FOREIGNER back in oct 2013 it expired oct 2014 and they didnt renew it.

but i also got a card with my name and id.no different from above the wife says it shows i registered at this hospital [theparat] korat.

i have been lucky that i havnt had to visit that was untill this week.

got there just before 9am.it was packed to the rafters,but straight away i was told to go to report[admin] showed them my card, then given a no. to go and weigh and get my bp.done,

then took a paper to another part then told to wait before seeing a doctor,just after 11am.i found her very professional.she gave my wife a presciption to go to the hospital pharmacy,some of it was expensive tabs eg.steriods,about 6different tabs.

and the bill for seeing the doctor and the medicine 101BHT.NO IT NOT A MISSPRINT 101BHT.

so all you guys that registered under the 2,200bht sceme which is no longer in operation did you recieve another nothing fancy just thickish paper with the thai logo in the top left corner,a hn.number,name,and age.

Maybe this is a silly question, but what the heck..... Do you reckon it might be worth establishing a "Lobby Group", perhaps through Thai Visa

(if George and his pals want to run with it) and attempt to show the Minister that it would be Decent Gesture to aid the Ferang, many of whom, come from countries where Thais are accorded this courtesy?

Example: my Thai wife and our Thai daughter when we lived in Australia for a couple of years. If it was reintroduced, it would be guaranteed to "Spread HAPPINESS" throughout the Ferang population that contributes mightily towards the financial well being of the Thai Economy.

YES its a silly question.

How long have you been in Thailand ? You want a "Lobby Group"!!!!!!

Also, do you really think Farang expats contribute mightily to the financial wellbeing of Thailand ? Of course we don't... we could all go home and the economy would not notice.

You are a guest, understand that and get used to it.. it's not going to change.

I support a family of 8, if I went home, they would struggle to live. I do not want the government to give me anything, I would just like them to except me into their social insurance plan at ฿1,500 a month. If I had managed to hold on to my job for one more month, that I was paying into the social insurance plan, I would have been able to continue it on my own for ฿450 a month, so I don't feel it is unreasonable for long term expats to be able to get it for ฿1,500 a month. There are a lot of Thai families that would suffer greatly if the westerners had to return home for medical care and no longer supported themselves.

But seriously, have any of you actually been into one of the government hospitals that participate in the scheme? Go in with a simple pimple of your leg and your more likely to come out with a leg amputated.

Of all the things I would not let any Thai Government program 'help' me with, number one, by a country mile is health insurance. I'll give up on practically everything to buy insurance that allows treatment in a private hospital, which I have to say in my experience are as good as any in the west.

Have you not noticed that most doctors work in BOTH private and government hospitals? Sure, a private hospital is more efficient and comfortable, of that I'm sure.

Yes they work in both types of hospital and usually have a private clinic as well.

If you are staying, rather than just seeking consultation, the level of infection management they operate is critical. I have no idea whether Thai private hospitals are more diligent in their procedures than public hospitals, but they sure look cleaner, being newer (usually). Looking clean means nothing of course.

I'm finishing a stay at a public/private hospital of good reputation (Papworth) in the UK at the moment. Nurses these days seem to spend more time on infection management than they do nursing. The infection control team come round to make sure the taps in the bathroom and shower have been run every other day, what's that all about?

If you are staying, rather than just seeking consultation, the level of infection management they operate is critical. I have no idea whether Thai private hospitals are more diligent in their procedures than public hospitals, but they sure look cleaner, being newer (usually). Looking clean means nothing of course.

I'm finishing a stay at a public/private hospital of good reputation (Papworth) in the UK at the moment. Nurses these days seem to spend more time on infection management than they do nursing. The infection control team come round to make sure the taps in the bathroom and shower have been run every other day, what's that all about?

It's about a very serious issue, many hospitals in "developed countries" are fighting with, in form of very serious infections. After a motorcycle accident in your hometown Kantharalak, where I broke my leg near the Tibia head four times, I was sent to Sisaket hospital, where they did a very crappy job.

It took eight months on crutches and several hospitals to find out that the plate the doctor was using was in no way successful and i found myself in a situation that I thought it would be the best decision to fly back to my country of origin.Sold my beloved bike and went for it. But.......

After receiving an artificial knee joint, it turned out that I had a strange type of "Staphylococcus Aureus" infection in my wound. It might sound odd that not a doctor, but an older nurse finally told me that they'd have to "cut all out", which turned out to be true and some more operations were necessary, where I'd almost lost my right leg.

Not wanting to scare you, but you should take any similar bacteria very serious. Once you caught such a bacterial infection, you'll need a Microbiologist to find the right treatment, because most Antibiotics are pretty much useless.

The hospital I went to also had a very good reputation, but they'd to shut two sections down for a while after i came back to Thailand.

I truly hope that you'll never experience something similar. Get well soon and come back in one part. Cheers. See photo,please....

Please see: http://www.medicinenet.com/staph_infection/article.htm

post-158336-0-42884600-1435233310_thumb.

"so all you guys that registered under the 2,200bht sceme which is no longer in operation did you recieve another nothing fancy just thickish paper with the thai logo in the top left corner,a hn.number,name,and age."

That sounds like it's the card you get at any hospital you register at.

There is no charge to register. Anyone can walk in off the street and register. In theory, you could register at almost every hospital in Thailand.

The registration gives you a patient number that allows them to find your file whenever you go there for services.

Archived