Going away for two years what to do about car?

tim armstrong

I'm going back to Oz for two years, to met a pension requirement and I'm not sure wht to do about the car. I don't want to sell it as it's a good old vehicle (Toyota Sport Rider 3l diesel) Should I simply disconnect the battery or get someone to start it every week. I don't want the family driving it either. Suggestions?

Put it up on blocks in a convenient place take the battery and wheels off and sell them get replacements when you come back family driving solved (yes i know they could fit replacements but would they bother ?)

Before doing this have all the fluids changed to new fluids and most especially the engine oil, drive straight back home as the vapors contain acids that can contaminate and break down the bearings and seals which will also be another issue. They really do need to run occasionally and heat up to keep them lubricated and supple as they will likely get stiff and non compliant and may even crack, it is very likely you will have oil leaks and possibly other leaks when you return and first run it again. Some leaks may seal themselves after some hours of running and heating them up again but definately have your coolant drained and refilled with fresh new coolant before leaving..

Personally I'd see if I had someone I could really trust to drive it short distances occasionally that is the optimum thing to do. I'd also leave the tires in the house instead and use them to drive to the tire store when I got back and sell them then, otherwise...........................................

Edited by WarpSpeed

You really need to coat the rings.If you try starting after 2 years there won't be any oil on the cylinder walls.Initial start up,it will be bare metal on metal.You need to coat the cylinders with A lubrication that will stay on the walls for 2 years.There are coatings

That you can put on the wiring that no varment is going to touch.

Let the family use it - put the most senior member of the family "in charge" of it. Make a big deal of this so he/she knows they have a responsibility (and therefore more power/face). Leave a few baht to cover a bit of servicing while you're away.

You may come back to find it's had the odd scrape, but at least it will be run regularly so won't deteriorate as it would in storage.

And considering the age and value of the vehicle, a few scrapes will hardly depreciate it much.

On the other hand, you may come back to find they traded it for a 50" TV. Mai bpen 'rai.

Either leave with a trusted long time (long term resident) friend that has the room and inclination to start it once in awhile....obviously not a drinking mate/pal....

Or remove the battery and put up on jack stands - record mileage - lock up as best you can and take/secure all the keys......might need the battery replaced when you return as that's a long time for a battery to sit.....better yet in a garage or semi enclosed space.....

Might be a good time to invest in a steering wheel lock bar......There might be people that still might want to drive it.......

There's the possibility that someone might spot it and it could dissappear - if gone it's just a mystery with no loss of face that won't get questioned until you get back so take all precautions necessary without be overt.....

Edited by pgrahmm

You really need to coat the rings.If you try starting after 2 years there won't be any oil on the cylinder walls.Initial start up,it will be bare metal on metal.You need to coat the cylinders with A lubrication that will stay on the walls for 2 years.There are coatings

That you can put on the wiring that no varment is going to touch.

Yeah..................Cat urine................................. laugh.png

That 2 year rule to stay in country to get your old age pension is <deleted> King BS! How about the fact your been paying taxes on everything you bough in the last 55 years and income tax for 48...and every other tax...well you get the picture.

Now because of this BS your pick-up is in danger of:

1/ Being used and abused by wifey's relos.

2/ Being sold without your knowledge by wifey's relos.

3/ Being attacked by rodents who will not be related to wifey's relos but can do as much damage.

4/ Having rust and corrosion eat away at parts.

Probably best to sell it!

• 8 months later...

storing a car for 2 years should not be a big problem

fill engine and gearbox up with top quality oil

(add some oil to the cylinder tops (through spark plug holes))

put a decent coolant in radiator and engine

put it on 4 supports off the ground

put proper grease on rubber seals (inside/outside), not tyres though.

yes, disconnect electrics (if you have a battery maintenance charger, 2 years should not be a problem for the battery either).

Let the family use it - put the most senior member of the family "in charge" of it. Make a big deal of this so he/she knows they have a responsibility (and therefore more power/face). Leave a few baht to cover a bit of servicing while you're away.

You may come back to find it's had the odd scrape, but at least it will be run regularly so won't deteriorate as it would in storage.

And considering the age and value of the vehicle, a few scrapes will hardly depreciate it much.

On the other hand, you may come back to find they traded it for a 50" TV. Mai bpen 'rai.

cheesy.gif

Just sell it and buy when you get back. The car will deteriorate sitting for two years. What you loose in depreciation will be gained when you buy again when you get back. It's more practical to sell now buy in two years.

My Harley sat in a steel crate for 2 months shy of 7 years. Still riding it.

If proper pre-storage precautions taken, as above, no issues.

I drained the fuel - which contained StaBil, refilled with fresh, and it fired right up with a new battery.

My Harley sat in a steel crate for 2 months shy of 7 years. Still riding it.

If proper pre-storage precautions taken, as above, no issues.

I drained the fuel - which contained StaBil, refilled with fresh, and it fired right up with a new battery.

Your Harley was an antique BEFORE you put it in the crate, anyway tractors are designed to be stored long periods!

Hope you put new tyres on it!