Tulips And Daffodils

Well, I'm off to Rotterdam for 3 weeks, not out of choice, it's just where the job is.

Whatever, my other half looked up Holland on the net and discovered tulips, daffs etc. and wants to grow them in containers here in rather-more-sunny-than-Holland LoS.

Anyone got any experience, will the bulbs even start here? Will they regenerate and grow again next year without help other than dead heading (or do they need a spell in the fridge to simulate winter)?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated :o

Anyone got any experience, will the bulbs even start here? Will they regenerate and grow again next year without help other than dead heading (or do they need a spell in the fridge to simulate winter)?

When I lived in Melbourne (cool climate) they propagated OK in the soil, but when I moved to Perth (temperate climate) they needed to be dug up after flowering and stored in the crisper section of the fridge for 3-4 months.

I would expect that you'd need to do that here in Thailand too.

Tulips will do fine in Thailand, but need to put into the freezer for 2 months (packed in cottonwool and alu foil) we had succes this way and are also able to deliver bulbs and flowers nationwide

If you plant them together you get growth problems in the U.K.

Well i did anyway and was told by an old timer if i wanted them to come back every year

" never put them together if you want hardy flowers " .

I,ve tried various flowers from the U.K. and the only one i,ve had any luck with are African Daisies.

O.K. Thailand is not the U.K. but the planting of T. and Daffs in a mixed area is important.

Perhaps some greenfingered expert can expand in this.

marshbags :o:D:D

P.S. Why not ask the growers in Rotterdam for their advice re Thailand.

Maybe it,s o.k. in Chang Mai or somewhere of a similar climate ????????

Edited by marshbags

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there's any restriction for bringing in tulip/daf' bulbs from Europe? I've not been back to the Uk for 5 years now so I'm thinking about it. Would be great to have some of my old favorites growing in the garden here in Phuket.

As for myself I am a Dutchie with green fingers, I do import bulbs on a small scale to Thailand. As long you buy bulbs which carry a certification (in English) on the packaging you will not have any problems at the Thai Customs Dep.